Beckford; this season's Rabbit?

I've just seen the goals from our game against the other Everton (weird innit) and this Beckford sure looks like he can finish. That was a top-class header and a particularly difficult skill to effect (ahem) effectively. Can he do it against better defenders at Premier League level? Time will tell. But I don't believe you score goals like that unless you're a natural goalscorer.

Peach of a ball in too by Gueye. Looks like one of them is odds on to be this season's Moyesie Rabbit... :)

Who will it be?
David Gallant, Cape Town, South Africa     Posted 05/08/2010 at 01:17:55

Comments

Russell Buckley
1   Posted 05/08/2010 at 02:22:23

I watched the entire match on a South American internet link. Beckford's goal was a very very nice finish. Cahill would have been proud of it. Can't rate his overall game but I'm confident that when he is in sight of goal he can finish well.

I got the chance to watch him train while in Australia and he stood out in that having by far the chances. He comes on a fee so paying his wages isn?t a major risk.

Will be interesting to see how Moyes utilises his current attacking war chest. If we keep playing one up front who is best to lead the line?
James Flynn
2   Posted 05/08/2010 at 03:45:27

David - Can "better defenders" prevent him? How about this? What players do you think Beckford wil have problems against when in the air?

If Beckford has the instinct, he has it, right? Moyes has done it again with this guy.
Dermot Ryan
3   Posted 05/08/2010 at 04:47:12

What an inspiring event. Everton (on both sides of the Atlantic) at its best. A lot to be encouraged by in our team's performance, but the event itself was so energizing. What a great fucking team to support.
Julian Wait
4   Posted 05/08/2010 at 05:03:17

Beckford looks like he will cause plenty of trouble, the type of striker that even when he's not scoring he opens it up for other players with his movement. Besides the goal he could / should have had one or two more, but on the night I am complaining ... save them up for the real business..
Ian Barker
5   Posted 05/08/2010 at 07:32:58

lets not get too carried away- he did miss a couple of decent chances also- he is not a one chance onegoal type striker and he offers very little link up play!

But as an impact player could be very useful.

Sad that it now loooks likely that Yakubu will be heading out- and personnally would rather see Yak play and get fit
Liam Reilly
6   Posted 05/08/2010 at 07:59:36

James Flynn "What players do you think Beckford wil have problems against when in the air?"

Errm, the Premier League is a big step up from the quality of oppistion in pre-season and this boy is going to have a big learning curve.

I think he has a chance to make the grade, but I fear that the terraces won't allow him the time (and mistakes) to shine (as we are a fickle bunch.
Iain Love
7   Posted 05/08/2010 at 08:17:10

Good goal.
Did you see the size of that drum the Everton Chile supporters brought with them ? It was bigger than the Yaks arse.
Iain Love
8   Posted 05/08/2010 at 08:17:10

Good goal.
Matthew Lovekin
9   Posted 05/08/2010 at 08:49:00

I'm really pleased that we signed Beckford. A goalscorer is a goalscorer at any level. They have a certain knack and instinct of being in the right place at the right time. Just because it's taken Beckford a few extra years to get to the top level, doesn't make him a worse striker, sometimes players just don't get opportunities they deserve for whatever reason, injuries, poor scouting or something else. Beckford will be our Ian Wright.

Lineker, Yakubu, Beckford, they all have that quality. When given a chance, they will most of the time score a goal.

I'd put Beckford ahead of Yakubu and Saha. He's got that knack for a goal like Yakubu but more mobile and pacy. Saha is too injury prone to play regularly, the perfect impact sub.

I'd rate the strikers:

1. Beckford

2. Saha

3. Yakubu

4. Vaughan

5. Anichebe
David Gallant
10   Posted 05/08/2010 at 09:39:21

Easy now, Matthew Lovekin!

As good as a bit of business as I think Beckford will prove, to put him ahead of King Louis (in particular) and perhaps even the Yak may be going a bit far don't you think?

Saha (as he proved last season) is by far our best striker in my humble opinion. Best technique, great touch, can score with either foot both in and outside the box and is an aerial threat to boot. He is actually one of the best in the Prem when firing on all cylinders.

The goal he scored against Chelski at Goodison last year was one of my moments of the season. Sure, he's getting on a bit and Beckford does look the part, but for me when rating our strikers, King Louis (still) rules the roost!

The great thing is that Gueye and Beckford can only learn and improve from playing with players like Saha and the Yak, and that could prove priceless in years to come.

That particular phenomenon (young players pushing through competing with first-team regulars) is happening throughout our team and it bodes extremely well for the future!

I'm beginning to really believe that this Everton team can do BIG things this year. If we keep the squad intact and we have some luck with injuries, this could well prove to be a memorable season lads!!!

COYB!
Norman Merrill
11   Posted 05/08/2010 at 09:40:46

I watched the game from my usual area, in the Park end, and it was a typical pre-season kickabout, until the second half, when Felliani appeared.
After reading some reports in the newspapers it gave rhe impression that the big Belgian was far from first team opportunity, but what I saw last night, it looks as if he will be in contention, sooner rather than later.
I just hope fans can be a little patient with Beckford, he is a natural scorer,
and working with the likes of Cahill, and Billy, and the prompting from Arteta, and Felliani, he can only improve.
Another player who can only get better with experience is Coleman, the kids got something special when going forward, and hopefully we can cash in on it?
Whatever side Moyes puts out at Blackburn, will have to put up with the usual physical battle early on, and then show what we are all about.
Chris Wright
12   Posted 05/08/2010 at 09:55:52

To be honest, wasn't all that impressed. He took his nicely, but did miss a couple of other good chances. Which is what a lot of Leeds fans used to say about him. Thought he worked and gave it his all but couldn't help thinking he reminded me of Marcus Bent. I'd put him at best 3rd on the list of strikers behind Saha and the Yak (If he stays). Also Vaughan looked sharp when he came on and I was impressed by Coleman again. Don't like to go over the top on the lad and build him up too much but he does look good.
Marc Williams
13   Posted 05/08/2010 at 10:23:54

Becford looked ok & was definitely keen to impress BUT he sored one & missed about 5 or 6, including a couple of sitters.
I was in the corner of the main stand
(towards Gwladys ) so didn't get a great look at his misses in the 1st half but his 1st touch seemed poor
The atmosphere was chilled last night ( lots of young kids around etc ) so we were laughing in a " how did he miss that" way over a couple of chances he had following his goal.
In a properly competetive game my blood pressure would have been thru' the roof at those misses, with language to match !

That said Duncan Mac' gave Beckford MOTM & having spent my youth chanting how "magic" Duncan was, I'm not going to challenge his opinion.

Biggest disappointment for me was Gueye who's 1st touch was poor & didn't live up to the good reports I'd heard about him. Also his challenging was naieve with one late & one high in the 1st half that would have been carded in the Prem'. That said it's early days & their was one brilliant defence splitting run with amazing touch late on, that shows his potential.

Biggest plus for me was Coleman, who just has to get some Prem' games this season.

David Hallwood
14   Posted 05/08/2010 at 11:29:36

Let's hope that Beckford is a man in a hurry. He's 26 and never played in the top flight, so hopefully he will realise that he's got to grab the chance with both hands and play each game like it's his last.

Some of the Leeds supporters say he's got a pissy attitude and sulks when things don't go his way-he will need to lose that from day one
Ian Tunstead
15   Posted 05/08/2010 at 12:15:08

I thought the players that impressed me were Beckford, just for his burst of speed. Vaughn also impressed me in the short time he was on. But the 3 that impressed me most were coleman when getting forward and Osman seemed to be everywhere in the 1st half. But the stand out player had to be Fellaini he seemed more fired up than ever.
Tony J Williams
16   Posted 05/08/2010 at 12:46:04

I thought Coleman had an averagge game. He did make a great mazey run at the end but overall there was nothing to suggest he will get many games ahead of Hibbert or Neville.

Beckford looked busy and has an edge to him, which I like. Could see a number of cards going his way if he gets game time next season.

Craig Taylor
17   Posted 05/08/2010 at 13:06:45

Time will tell, he can't have done anymore than he has been doing in pre-season.

But until he has played a few premier matches and shown what he can do at the top level I will preserve my judgement for now.

Gueye is impressing me too, looks dangerous down the left.
David Booth
18   Posted 05/08/2010 at 12:42:29

Got one of the few tickets left last night, so 'enjoyed' a night in the Lower Bullens!

Far to early to judge Beckford, but in terms of first impressions, we've got a genuine matchwinner.

For the first time in a long time, we've got a tall, powerful main striker with pace

Every time we had the ball he was looking to make a run and the midfield had clearly been briefed to try and find him

He showed he can head the ball too, and given it in tight spaces in the box, he works vigorously - and generally succeeds - in wriggling his way into a goal-scoring oppportunity.

Comparing him to Marcus Bent is most unfair. He looks (markedly) better in every aspect.

He's perhaps not the best 'target man' (but Moyes can develop that aspect of his game, surely?) and sometimes didn't look entirely at ease when receiving the ball with his back to goal outside the box.

But played in, inside the area, he's dangerous, exciting, a real threat - and he's ours! He WILL panic a lot of defences this coming season.

Moving on to the game in general - and bearing in mind its 'friendly' nature - did anyone/everyone perceive a real buzz on the pitch last night? The whole team exuded a discernable confidence in their combined abilities from front to back. Something is going to happen this season.

The first half line-up was impressive in itself: Jagielka surprisingly back (despite the very worrying injury rumours in the preceding few days) and Coleman in again, suggesting he really might be on that teamsheet against Blackburn.

But then, in the second half, Arteta, Fellaini and Baines too. This is some team we have you know!

Gueye looked good in patches too and good to see Vaughan in contention again.

Let's not forget too, that Heitinga, Howard, Saha and Yakubu were absent too.

Carnival atmosphere or not, I sensed a definite swagger about the team from start to finish.

I fervently believe that setting our sights on a top four finish is settling for compromise. With a full-strength squad from the first game (it was so encouraging to see Jagielka fit last night), a continuation of the way we finished last season and a more-than-feasible barnstorming win at Blackburn, we can go on to win the league this year.

The Mancs and Arsenal are in decline, Spurs will pop like a balloon, Citeh will do no better than last year (when we whipped them comprehensively, twice), Villa and going backwards and Liverpool are NOT going to win everything again (as the media sycophants predict), with the arrival of a half-fit Chelsea reject.

Going back to the original theme of this thread, Jermaine Beckford might just be the missing link (and a big shout for Coleman on that score too).

Time to start believing - on and off the pitch fellow Evertonians.

guy rogers
19   Posted 05/08/2010 at 13:33:41

good man David Booth why the hell not.....

On a different note we are not overly realiant on Arteta like everyone makes out, yes absolutley class but so are Fellaini, Rodwell, peanuts, billy (with his goals only at the moment) and Donovan (who we could buy if he left) we have played good attacking football without him and life goes on if he was to leave.

I don't think he will by the way :-)

Tom Bowers
20   Posted 05/08/2010 at 13:44:27

Beckford will be an asset believe me and hopefully will stay clear of injury. Gueye also and hopefully will get in ahead of Osman who was the main weakspot in midfield.The opportunities will be there for these new additions.Getting signed is one thing but getting in the starting eleven another.Hopefully the decimation of the squad last season because of injuries will not be a factor this coming season. Let's get off to a positive start at Blackburn unlike last season against Arsenal.
Chris Wright
21   Posted 05/08/2010 at 13:57:43

David Booth, I like your optimism. Not sure I share it, but that's just my opinion. I was being a bit harsh on Beckford, but I'm still not 100% convinced on him yet. There were times when he made poor decisions, and sometimes I wonder whether that is something you can learn is it just an instinct. People are building him up but we all know if come October he hasn't set the world alight these same people will be on here slagging him off. I think it's going to be an interesting season.
Chris Wright
22   Posted 05/08/2010 at 13:57:43

Thor Sørensen
23   Posted 05/08/2010 at 14:30:57

Tony J Williams, Re: Vaughan.

"Had to laugh when Vaughan came on, as we all agreed he doesn't know the meaning of the word friendly, he knows one spped - all out, which is probably why he gets injured so often."

-yes, that's exactly why he gets injured and why his career is hanging by a thread, in stead of him being a contender for the England squad.

If he STILL haven't learned his lession, this will sadly be his last season with Everton, and maybe as a professional footballer altogether.
Andrew Bone
24   Posted 05/08/2010 at 16:08:41

Although the header last night was a fantastic finish (admittedly the markig was far from close), the two finishes against Preston should be taken into account as a marker of Beckfords ability infront of goal. A turn of pace and a one on one, as well as a far post finish shows he has the eye for goal.

Scoring 31 for Leeds last season shows he has the goal scoring instinct. I know people say he was only against 1st division defences, but to some extent, the delivery he was provided was from 1st division players.

I think he showed some decent touches last night, some good awareness of his team mates as well. Although may not keep Saha out of the team, he is looking preferable alternative to JV Big Vic up front should we lose the Yak/should he not get fit. (why was he left of the bench last night? any insight please).

It appeared to me though, the teams performance picked up with the introduction of Fellaini, and he looked as though he will pick up where he left off (before being crocked by the greek).
David Booth
25   Posted 05/08/2010 at 17:26:55

Worth mentioning a tremendous save from Turner too (who looks destined to remain as third choice with the arrival of Mucha).

That WAS a goal all the way after we'd taken the lead, but he got down Gordon Banksesque to make a truly breathtaking save - and held onto the ball too.

Needs highlighting. He looks the part and good to know we have such strength-in-depth.

Still can't see anything special in Baxter though - although to be fair, he only gets the briefest of cameo roles and then seems determined to run around as much as possible in a bid to prove he's a little good 'un. No great flashes so far for me though, or a hint that he's something special.

But do like what I've seen of Mustafi - and Duffy of course. They both look very assured and ready for action if called upon.

This really is some squad David Moyes is putting together. All this talk of one of the smallest/weakest in the division requires urgent revision?
Brendan O'Doherty
26   Posted 06/08/2010 at 03:57:13

Just back from the match (after a long journey).

I agree with most of David Booth's comments. We played some great stuff, and didn't finish off most of the moves. The style of play adopted in the 2nd part of last season is continuing - there was one long ball all game (Coleman to Beckford towards the end). The biggest plus for me was seeing Fellaini back in a blue shirt, and looking to take up from where he left off last season. Pienaar was lively, Arteta quiet, and Gueye is looking good as well. Bilya? Well, hot and cold. Our defence didn't have too much to do, and Beckford was good up front.

A very enjoyable night all round.