Transfer merry go-round

With more clubs needing to sell before they can buy thanks to financial restrictions and this new 25-player rule (mainly City), plus some long-running pursuits of marquee players (particularly Torres and Fabregas), the transfer season feels a bit like a Heath Robinson machine this year, just waiting for one switch to be clicked before a whole host of interconnected moves are made.

Everton are no exception to this and have several of their own cogs in the infernal machine, notably Pienaar and most recently Arteta either of whom seem to be slotting into the plans of Inter, Spurs, Arsenal and latterly Barcelona. Suffice to say we all hope that neither cog is moved, as they're both pretty integral to our own midfield machine.

Naturally should one or the other move on they would free up income for investments of our own, specifically a right winger, left back cover and potentially an experienced striker.

A more palatable machination however is developing, which looks like this:

Yakubu (West Ham) and Vaughan (Blackburn/Bolton) out for c.£11M combined

Jelavic in for c.£3M
Donovan in for c.£8-10M

Granted there's still a shortfall of £2-3M, but I think even our stretched finances could probably cover that in light of Landon's potential commercial value.

Assuming there's nothing more in the kitty, left-back cover for Baines would have to be done via a loan deal OR by shipping out Yobo. Although as we've not been linked with any left-backs and there's been no word of interest in Joey, this is far more hypothetical.

Either way it's going to be a fascinating few weeks. Hopefully with a happy ending for the blues!
Chris James, Landon     Posted 05/08/2010 at 09:00:46

Comments

Andy Crooks
1   Posted 05/08/2010 at 14:21:25

Roll on the closure of the transfer window. There is nothing for Everton to gain in the next few weeks but so much to lose. I believe that Arteta and Pienaar will stay but what if one or both were to go in the last week of August.

One would assume that contingency plans are in place to quickly buy replacements. Who might they be? I f City are involved then I would expect Ireland and/or Bellamy to be coming here. Other than that I dread the thought of last minute panic buying. If it must happen get it done now.

Dan Parker
2   Posted 05/08/2010 at 15:22:45

Agreed, I hope it closes out with no further movement. I think for once we have all the players we need!
Aidy Dews
3   Posted 05/08/2010 at 15:26:39

Going by what Moyes as been saying, even if we had the money somehow, we wont be paying anywhere near 8-10 million for Donovan that your suggesting, I think Moyesy is thinking around about £5m, 6 or 7 million at a push, and ive got a feeling thats too rich for Moyes!.
Roberto Birquet
4   Posted 05/08/2010 at 15:58:10

----------
Cannot agree. The right-hand side is not there yet. I am certainly among those wanting Donovan. I don't see any worries with him coming here, as he has already gelled with the team.

I reckon we will get a left back, either a loan deal or finacing through a sale of a squad player. Then, we'd have balance.

Of our big players. Only two may go, unless we are bullied into losing Arteta. And they are Pienaar and Yak. The first if he does not sign, he is too expensive to keep without a new deal (forgo £11-12 million for a one year deal; nah!); and Yak, if the boss has lost confidence in him.

Btw, I would like to keep Yakubu. for all the talk of his woner-miss at the World Cup, he scored just two minutes later, and it therefore cost them nothing. Took balls to take that pen. Good on him.
Steve Pugh
5   Posted 05/08/2010 at 19:25:32

If Pienaars staying means we have a better chance to qualify for the CL then I say keep him.

Agreed we will lose £12m transfer fee, but equally if we are in CL he will probably stay, and even if he doesn't the money from being in CL is much more than £12m
Brian Williams
6   Posted 06/08/2010 at 08:08:09

Again people go on about "getting rid" of Pienaar..........There've been no offers for him."
Tommy Gourlay
7   Posted 06/08/2010 at 10:58:12

This may be a bit off topic (as we've never been even assosiated with him) and I may be asking more for a sanity-check please....

Either I'm a one-man fan club of the guy or everyone thinks he's way too good and expensive to even mention, but I think if we lose Pienaar or Arteta AND are willing to sell Yakubu to West Ham, then I think trying to do a swap deal to get Mark Noble would me fantastic.

Like Arteta he can play wide or central midfield, has with lovely dribbling ability, can cross, has the vision and the passing ability to pick out defense splitting passes, can tackle, works his rear-end off all game (even up to the 'Moyes Standard'), plays in a position West Ham are well-covered in anyway, and is home grown.

Please shoot me down if I'm the only person seeing this or if for some reason his signing is implausible.
Tommy Gourlay
8   Posted 06/08/2010 at 11:08:21

Oh yeah sorry, I meant....

"trying to do a swap deal PLUS SOME OF THE PIENAAR/ARTETA MONEY to get Mark Noble would me fantastic"

....obviously if I think that much of him then I must presume we have to pay a decent sum for him which is greater than Yakubu's value.
Anthony Hughes
9   Posted 06/08/2010 at 11:18:00

We'll get you booked in for your sanity check asap Tom...
Anthony Hughes
10   Posted 06/08/2010 at 11:23:58

Dan,I think we have all the players we can afford,not all the players we need.
Roberto Birquet
11   Posted 06/08/2010 at 12:08:43

Brian
-----------
How do you know?
Roberto Birquet
12   Posted 06/08/2010 at 12:11:20

Steve
If Pienaar's staying means we have a better chance to qualify for the CL then I say keep him.

Agreed we will lose �12m transfer fee, but equally if we are in CL he will probably stay, and even if he doesn't the money from being in CL is much more than �12m.
-----
if...and...if
How about....
if we get Ben Arfa and Donovan for the price of Pienaar and Vaughan, plus say £2 million.
Which of those alternatives would give us a better chance of making top 4? Balance all round the pitch, and still have Fellaini, Arteta, Rodwell, Cahill, Bily, and good centre backs.

and what if we miss out on CL, and have neither choice for the following season, because we let a top player leave us for nowt??
Amit Vithlani
13   Posted 06/08/2010 at 12:38:38

@ Anthony spot on mate.

We have a good starting base with the current squad. Ideally Yak and Vaughny will stay, as will Pienaar and Arteta.

For once, I would like a settled line up going into the new season. We have a group hungry for success because of injuries (Fellaini), to show their worth at the peak of their careers (Pienaar, Arteta), to make up for not being at the World Cup (Baines), and those who have been given a big break (Beckford, Gueye). Perhaps Yak, Yobo and Vaughny have a point to prove as well.

Peter Warren
14   Posted 06/08/2010 at 12:53:56

If we can sell Piennar for 12m then yes , we must sell if he refuses to sign. But I don't see anybody bidding anywhere near that - apparently clubs wanting Ozil Merit won't pay more than 10m so I just don't see anybody offering anywhere near 12m for Piennar
Andrew Ellams
15   Posted 06/08/2010 at 16:17:46

Amit, we have a squad that started last season hoping to push on from reaching the Cup Final and ended up in eigth place without even a Europa League place to show for their efforts. I think they all have something to prove.
Craig Taylor
16   Posted 06/08/2010 at 18:20:56

Fucking Fabregas has pledged his future to the Gooners.

Am I right to be a bit worried that they may come knocking for Arteta?

I think their lure would be to much and if they do I do not think it is worth messing about to much. £15m good enough? Get Ireland in for £8-10m.

I do not know!!!!!!

John Gee
17   Posted 07/08/2010 at 14:57:19

Craig, I've read all this Fabregas/Arteta axis debate about players moving to/from Arsenal and Barcelona. I think it's all just paper talk. Fabregas is a long term target for Barcelona. I think that his fame in Catalonia coupled with the way Arsenal signed him has made his capture a point of pride (and his talent, obviously).
I can't quite figure out why Arteta is being mentioned. If Barcelona buy another midfielder it will be to replace the enforcer Toure who was only a squad player for them anyway.

I think Arsenal would have been robbed of a playmaker if Fab had left and then could very possibly been interested in Arteta. Barca don't really need another playmaker. In fact thinking about that wonderful team, the only signing they desperately need is another ice cream seller outside the ground.

The media love the phrase "mounting speculation", all this means is that they are referring to their own tired old story that they've been peddling all month.