Mikel Signs for 5 years

At last! The news that all Evertonians have been waiting for. Our influential midfield genius has pledged his future to EFC. So happy to hear that.

He says some very nice things about the club on the OS and praise comes from Moyes towards our much-maligned chairman. All we need now is Pienaar to follow suit...

On this issue, have I got it right in that, if Pienaar doesn't sign before the end of August, we effectively lose the £12-15M or so that's being bandied around as he can leave at the end of the year on a free?

If this is correct and he won't sign, then surely he has to be sold in the next few two weeks.
Tony McDonald, Heswall     Posted 07/08/2010 at 15:38:23

Comments

Stan Sheppard
1   Posted 07/08/2010 at 15:56:19

Surely this is the news we have all been hoping for and maybe it will encourge Pienaar to sign his deal?

Things are looking up for 2010-11.

Seamus Murphy
2   Posted 07/08/2010 at 15:56:57

Absolutely great news to see 'the best little Spaniard we know' has signed a new 5 year deal putting to an end the speculation about his future that has been rife this summer.

And hopefully some of the fools on here who have been spouting rubbish over the last few weeks wI'll eat their words. Only yesterday I read someone on here saying 'Arteta looked totally disinterested an barely celebrated' against Chile. Hopefully Pienaar will follow suit now! COYB

Graham Nolan
3   Posted 07/08/2010 at 15:57:22

Not 3 minutes ago I was jumping for joy around my sitting room. Mad celebration and clapping were to be seen.....Everton had not scored or won or anything but the news broke that Mikel Arteta has penned a new 5 year deal with the mighty toffees.....this is brilliant news and all at the club deserve credit for convincing our best player that his future lies with us.
Richard Pagel
4   Posted 07/08/2010 at 15:57:56

This ends any fears we have that he may leave the club anytime soon. I for one never thought he would leave us but it is such a boost for us the fans and the club that he has shown this commitment.

He, along with Tiny Tim, has shown that the love they have for the club is such that they want to see out the remainder of their careers with us. Hopefully Stevie P is going to show the same commitment too and then we can finally relax and wait for the season to start without going into it with the final month of the transfer window hanging over us

God Bless you Mikkey

Jamie Barlow
5   Posted 07/08/2010 at 15:59:51

Follow follow follow.......... God i love that bloke. True Evertonian. Put pen to paper Peanut, you know it makes sense. COYB
Brian Williams
6   Posted 07/08/2010 at 15:58:26

Rant over... excellent news regarding Mikel!
Dan Brierley
7   Posted 07/08/2010 at 15:57:55

I was the same Graham. By far the most talented Everton player. Great news for the club, and yet another slap in the face of those who think Everton Football Club have no ambition. Hats off Mr Kenwright, such joy to know Mikel wants to spend his best years at the club. I haven't been so looking forward to a season for a long time. COYB!
John Audsley
8   Posted 07/08/2010 at 16:00:42

Jumped for joy when i logged in to Evertonfc.com to watch the game and saw that

Brilliant and hopefully proves a point on how positive this year could be

Footballing wise i couldnt be happier

If my 9 month old would sleep through id be the happiest bloke in the world!!!
John Smith
9   Posted 07/08/2010 at 15:58:13

It's good news, no denying that, however I think what we have just done here is shown the player how desperate we are to keep him, add to the £70,000 p/w contract he has probably just signed and we have basically bought him his retirement - does he really have to play well every week now?

Another thing, is the timing of the contract signing, just one day after Fabregas announces he is staying at Arsenal - Arsenal were the only club interested in Arteta, and he knows he is never getting in the Spain squad, so he had rather no choice than to sign on with Everton.

It's kind of similiar to what Gerrard done at Liverpool last week, by announcing he is commited to Liverpool - just as Chelsea and Real Madrid pulled the plug on signing him.
Gary Mortimer
10   Posted 07/08/2010 at 15:59:21

The best news we've had for years!!!!!

Mikki says that the "The chairman and the manager wanted me to stay 120% and that makes me feel proud,"

Perhaps Kenwright isn't the anti-christ after all!!
Christian McCarthy
11   Posted 07/08/2010 at 16:03:37

Saw this as the main news on BBC Sport website. For a split-second when I saw his picture, before reading the headline, I thought we'd sold him. Panic quickly turned to joy. Great news!
Julian Wait
12   Posted 07/08/2010 at 16:07:14

Are some people just never happy?

MIKEL ARTETA SIGNED A 5 YR DEAL WITH EVERTON

Ian McDowell
13   Posted 07/08/2010 at 16:07:35

Brilliant news come on Steven Pienaar sign on, you know it makes sense.
Lee Smith
14   Posted 07/08/2010 at 16:07:22

John (#9), were Barcelona meant to 'turn their attention' to Arteta if they failed to sign Fabregas? Surely Arteta would have rather joined them than Arsenal? So actually, Arteta signing now, a day after a possible move to Barca became a more realistic possibility, speaks volumes for the guys commitment to the Blues.
Ron Haslam
15   Posted 07/08/2010 at 16:09:51

John Smith 9.
I can't believe your negative slant on this news!
This is the best news that we could have wished for. I cannot wait for the season to start. Here we go!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tony Hughes
16   Posted 07/08/2010 at 16:09:21

Gary Mortimer, or perhaps kenwright is shit scared moyes might have walked if arteta went?
Tommy Meehan
17   Posted 07/08/2010 at 16:11:15

I know what you mean Julian; all down to egotism parading itself as "worldly-wise cyncism."
Tony I'Anson
18   Posted 07/08/2010 at 16:13:36

Does this work http://evertontv.evertonfc.com/channels/livechannel.aspx?mm=l&bw=H

Off to put £500 on us winning the league. Chacnes in life are all about timing. This is the year for us.
Gary Mortimer
19   Posted 07/08/2010 at 16:14:10

Tony - so BK did everything he could to persuade Miki to sign a new contract just to keep DM? Whatever his motives, he opened his big luvvie mouth the other day and THIS TIME it looks like he knew what he was talking about!

I'm just glad Miki's signed - hope this sends a signal out to all and sundry that we are not a selling club and that we mean business this season without the distraction of the Europa league.
Ged Simpson
20   Posted 07/08/2010 at 16:14:58

Some here are the most miserable twats.

Shit......bring back Walter Smith.....they were happier then.

I think I have seen them at games just in front of me ....winge winge winge.

F Off and "support" someone else
John Smith
21   Posted 07/08/2010 at 16:17:25

@Lee Smith - Arsenal was the more realistic move, Arteta would never get into Barca's midfield and he knows that, as soon as Fabregas would of gone to Barca, Arteta would of been his replacement, that is without doubt, I'm not really having a go at Arteta either, I'm saying the timing of all this is a bit suspicious.

@Ron Haslam - I'm not (or trying not to) be negative, and yes it is good news for us, however all I was saying is I think we may have shown too much in appreciation to the player - we do have a talented squad, without Arteta you know, I'm just saying, I think he only signed on because Arsenal have kept hold of Fabregas, think about it.
Max Main
22   Posted 07/08/2010 at 16:23:28

John Smith: not having a go mate, but who cares? I don't care if he's only staying cause Fabregas didn't get sold, he's staying. And what's the problem with showing appreciation to the player? He's one of the best midfielders in the Premier League, I don't see what harm can come from showing him appreciation.

And does he really have to play well every week now? Why would he suddenly stop playing well?

Best news we've had since Kanchelskis signed.
Richard Pagel
23   Posted 07/08/2010 at 16:31:28

Mikel Arteta states his love for Everton and the reciprication of that from the club to him as the reason for signing a new deal which means he is likely to see out his career with us .

It just goes to show that in a world of man city mercenaries ther are some football whose priorities set them apart as true ambassadors for their teams

Steven Pienaar its now your turn to show the fans that same commitment

I never doubted that Mikkey would stay but still the relief of him signing is still like a huge weight of my shoulders and the reasons he signed just echo the fact that he will always be the best little spaniard we know

John Smith
24   Posted 07/08/2010 at 16:33:17

@Max Main - Never mind, I was just saying what I thought, on the whole it's good news for us, I certainly didn't want to lose Arteta, and I don't want to lose Piennar either, so the sooner we tie that one up the better.
Aidy Dews
25   Posted 07/08/2010 at 16:27:29

There's just no pleasing some people is there (John Smith!).

Great news, and well done Kenwright on sealing the deal, he's done good on this one!. Hopefully Pienaar will do the same now, he wants to stay and as said as such and now that Mikky as extended his deal, that will spark Pienaar into accepting what his on the table and committing himself to the blues!.
David Crowe
26   Posted 07/08/2010 at 16:40:36

One down, one to go, if Pienaar signs, I'll be down the bookies to put 20 on everton for the top 4. Absolutely superb news. GIVE BILL THE CREDIT HE DESERVES ON THIS ONE!! He has done us all a massive favour here.
Max Main
27   Posted 07/08/2010 at 16:43:06

Fair enough. Wasn't having a go, was just expecting this thread to be some sort of negativity-less Utopia.

And agreed, regardless of if we get anyone else in, tying Pienaar up would/will make this summer a complete success.

(nobody mention Gosling)
Jon Cox
28   Posted 07/08/2010 at 16:40:10

Max Main (22), I concur.
Karl Jones
29   Posted 07/08/2010 at 16:51:53

Great News, now we can finally say shame on the Daily Mail, using his baby in a story from an unnamed source to add weight to their story that he is heading back to Spain.

Despicable, unfounded journalism all summer over this. Never any speculation about anything positive. Hope we all learn to never trust the British press again.
Joey Brown
30   Posted 07/08/2010 at 17:07:29

I don't even care much about Pienaar right now as this has made my weekend. Pienaar is replaceable Arteta not so much. I am thrilled. But it'd be nice to have Steven on board too.
Viv Sharma
31   Posted 07/08/2010 at 17:16:04

Blue Bill gets a lot of stick from us fans (me included) but fair play to him and the club for getting Mikki to sign. Credit where credit's due.
Someone posted an interesting point (sorry, can't remember who) that we are building an excellent squad without being drawn into to a takeover by a soulless consortia who are looking to 'cash in' on us.
Ofcourse I'd like 100m transfer kitty, but if we can pull of some silverware this season without selling out, I for one will be all the prouder
Tony J Williams
32   Posted 07/08/2010 at 17:46:05

Just read it on the tinernet, thank Christ/Jahova/Budda etc for that.
Brendan O'Doherty
33   Posted 07/08/2010 at 18:12:12

Just got in and heard - YESSSSS! Delirious isn't the word!

John Smith - you may have a point about the timing, but as Max says, who cares? It's all one big merry-go-round anyway. He was keeping his options open all summer as I said on previous threads, and why not ? He was perfectly entitled to do that. All those that had pressed the panic button can calm down now, but I never thought he wouldn't be starting the season with us, new contract or not.

Fantastic news,and great that it's happened before the start of the season.

COYB

Thor Sørensen
34   Posted 07/08/2010 at 18:25:05

Brian Williams # 6

"Tony!!!!! Everton have not had any offers for £12 million or £12......you can't sell a player when nobody seems to want to buy him...the number of people who are saying "If he doesn't sign, sell him"......who the fuck to, may I ask???? "

-is that really how selling works?! Guess that puts to bed any hopes I had of getting £50k for my old Ford Fiesta. ;-)
David McKitt
35   Posted 07/08/2010 at 19:06:22

Its like a new signing! Best news all summer.. correction.. this decade! Such a relief..
Danny Jones
36   Posted 07/08/2010 at 18:52:33

Great news!!!
I really do think that we can do some great things this year (now!), without Mikey it would have looked like we had resigned ourselves to a top 6 finish at best, but with him....
Time some people gave Moyes and Kenwright some credit.
Steve Pugh
37   Posted 07/08/2010 at 19:11:12

For all of you miserable gits out there, why not accept that he really does love the club, Bill, DM and the fans, and wants to stay at Everton for the simple reason he wants to stay at the club.

Why must you always look for an ulterior motive? Yes sometimes people lie, but sometimes what you see, is actually there.
Thor Sørensen
38   Posted 07/08/2010 at 19:34:28

Arteta signs for FIVE YEARS, brilliant!!!

*finally putting down a bet on Everton winning the league after pondering this for weeks*

By the way, anyone seen mentioned the terms of the deal, wages?
Robert Moore
39   Posted 07/08/2010 at 19:37:35

This the best news for years. COYB. In Moyes we trust!
Jay Harris
40   Posted 07/08/2010 at 20:23:15

I think we should fax a copy of the contract to that RS idiot at the Daily Mail who has been trying to undermine the blues all Summer.

Thor it's rumoured to be around 75k a week, a 30k increase on his current contract (which did have 2 years to run!!)

Apparently Peanuts has been offered 60k but we're still "watching this space"
Jeff Armstrong
41   Posted 07/08/2010 at 20:28:52

Fabregas will go next year, Arteta could have sat and waited 12 months,
BUT HE HASN'T.
David Chait
42   Posted 07/08/2010 at 20:45:34

This was a big move from Arteta.. he is at the age where he might have felt he needed to move now as he is in his prime.. feel he has committed himself to us.. well I hope... I've been waiting for this news before I bought my new shirt!! Yes please!!
Tim O'Connell
43   Posted 07/08/2010 at 20:57:58

This is why we love the club - Timmy C , Jack the Lad and now Mikkey have shown this club is special.
This is the defining year for DM - it is the best squad we have had for years and despite the multi-billionaires I genuinely feel we will compete - I dont think any club in the premiership has a better midfield than we can now boast. Peanuts please complete the jigsaw (though possibly the Yak to go and the Don to come!)
Andrew Bone
44   Posted 07/08/2010 at 21:02:35

Well pleased that Arteta signed today. Although I agree that the timing is suspect, I cannot blame him for keeping his options open, and feel that he would have had the respect of the fans if he had gone (maybe if it were to Barca) as he hadn't so far contrived to force a move.

The main point for me is that he does appear to want to play for the club, and I would rather see the extra funds spent on a bedded in player than someone who could be hit of miss - Billy for example.

Hopefully this will be a season where the team spirit and togetherness shines through from the start. This signing has no doubt had a massive positive effect on the squad.

Lets hope we pip the mercenary merry go round of Man City and the soon to be dictated to Liverpool to the Champions League.

Onwards and Upwards
Matthew Salem
45   Posted 07/08/2010 at 21:19:35

I concur. This is excellent news and hopefully an agreement with Pienaar can be reached soon as well. A right winger to boot would be lovely, but perhaps that is too much to ask. Then again, maybe not?
Jamie Crowley
46   Posted 07/08/2010 at 21:51:55

Onwards and upwards. Just saw it. This was the key.

Thank God!

The boogieman in the closet just disappeared - I can sleep safely and soundly now.

Top 4 just became a real possibility and dare I say a very realistic expectation.

Massively good news!
Mike Green
47   Posted 07/08/2010 at 22:02:32

Quality. Quality. Quality.

Quality.

Quality. Quality. Quality. Quality.

Qual-i-ty.

Quality.
David Price
48   Posted 07/08/2010 at 22:40:30

Great news, come on Piennar and be a part with Mikel and Fellaini for the new holy trinity.
Tim Veitch
49   Posted 08/08/2010 at 00:17:34

Absolutely over the moon!!! I expect this will be as good for team morale as the Lescott saga was bad. Let's just get Pienaar signed up, and away we go!
Martin Hughes
50   Posted 08/08/2010 at 00:53:53

Tim i am with you, over the moon. This should now provide the catalyst for a great seasom, it will lift the fans the players but will also will send shockwaves to the EPL, come you blues -IN MOYES WE TRUST.

Message to Moyesey get a decent left back cover for Bainsey and we are made - top four - EASY!
Martin Hughes
51   Posted 08/08/2010 at 00:55:52

Type or paste your comment here. No txt-speak, please try to use proper grammar, all-lowercase posts are likely to be deleted
Martin Hughes
52   Posted 08/08/2010 at 00:57:06

Stevie P ....... do the honours mate
Martin Hughes
53   Posted 08/08/2010 at 00:57:37

I have had a few pints tonight.....One more thing to say.....................

ARTETA = C A P T A I N
Brendan O'Doherty
54   Posted 08/08/2010 at 01:30:42

"Fabregas will go next year, Arteta could have sat and waited 12 months,
BUT HE HASN'T."

Excellent point Jeff. He didn't have to commit for 5 years, but he fact that he has shows his heart is really in it.
Eric Myles
55   Posted 08/08/2010 at 06:06:08

It's like having a new signing!!
Kevin Gillen
56   Posted 08/08/2010 at 10:06:20

Mike Green 46.Great post.
Stephen Kenny
57   Posted 08/08/2010 at 12:24:53

Mike Green

Quali-tee-hee
Brendan O'Doherty
58   Posted 08/08/2010 at 13:21:51

That's a quality 3-1-4-1-1 formation there Mike
Tony Sullivan
59   Posted 08/08/2010 at 19:59:55

John Smith(9)..Can't believe the negativity of your view. Perhaps you missed the real reason Mikel signed for a further 5yrs was because he has a dodgy knee ans was afraid to undergo a strict medical at a new club.!!!
Chad Schofield
60   Posted 08/08/2010 at 22:32:49

Absolutely brilliant news and Bill and all involved deserve great deal of credit. Fantastic!
Steve Cavanagh
61   Posted 08/08/2010 at 22:31:42

The best early birthday present I've ever had!
Jason Lam
62   Posted 09/08/2010 at 03:13:22

Brilliant news! COYB
Roberto Birquet
63   Posted 09/08/2010 at 16:24:58

Brian
Everton have not had any offers for £12 million or £12......you can't sell a player when nobody seems to want to buy him... the number of people who are saying "If he doesn't sign, sell him"......who the fuck to, may I ask????
----
How the HELL do you know?

Got inside info?
or beacuse you've not read it in the news of screws, then it can't have happened? For Pity's Sake...
Roberto Birquet
64   Posted 09/08/2010 at 16:54:33

John Audsley
8 Posted 07/08/2010 at 16:00:42
Footballing-wise I couldnt be happier

If my 9 month old would sleep through, I'd be the happiest bloke in the world!!!
------
Good Luck mate!
Roberto Birquet
65   Posted 09/08/2010 at 16:57:22

Mike Green
Don't think much of our cap'n by chance?
Roberto Birquet
66   Posted 09/08/2010 at 17:32:26

I think you flatter Ani, though.
The Don will round it off nicely, and B Arfa if Pie-man doesn't want in.

Would love Angel from Sporting Gijon (not Rangel), heard good of him.
Mike Green
67   Posted 09/08/2010 at 18:03:39

Who is this Don everyone keeps refering to...?
Roberto Birquet
68   Posted 09/08/2010 at 18:23:38

Corleone, the schemer!

And wow, just seen that Mr O'Neill has packed his Villa bags. Did not see that one coming so close to kick off.

Are the chickens all coming home to roost for buying clubs? Even Spurs have been quiet.
Mike Green
69   Posted 09/08/2010 at 20:15:20

Nope... still lost.... there's a guy called Corleone we want as a striker...?

As for O'Neill I was mightily suprised with the timing but has to be down to either Milner being sold or not being given the money to reinvest. In his statement he thanks the fans, staff etc etc evryone bar the Chairman so its got to be at Lerners door.
Roberto Birquet
70   Posted 09/08/2010 at 20:41:46

Sorry, ye'r probably a different generation to me. Corleone was the Godfather if memory serves. The film must have come out about when I was born.

But no, it is the topic lingering in cyberspace that we're wriing about... of Mr USA ? Donovan.

Good call on O'Neill, if true that he has not thanked the chairman. A bit harsh, he's given oodles of cash and got 6th every year. OK Good in the cups last year, too.
Mike Green
71   Posted 09/08/2010 at 21:34:48

Now I get it! I'm a mug. "The Don" = Donovan. Not exactly rocket science.

The Corleone reference sent me down the wrong route but did get it - made in 72 - which coincidentally is the year I was born!

Thanks for putting me straight - and yes, wpouldnt it be great to have Donovan on the right for us at some point.
Sean Condon
72   Posted 10/08/2010 at 03:13:39

The single best piece of off-field news that this resilient if constantly maligned club has experienced since god knows when.

Three months ago, I told myself that if Arteta wanted to go I wasn't going to hold it against the player. He had given us a lot and sacrificed at the very least a bigger payday by playing for us. He had been a model citizen and a consistent player. Sure, Moyesie had picked him up off what more-or-less amounted to the scrapheap, but Mikel had repaid him, in my opinion.

So I was a little surprised, and then quietly ecstatic as I first read and then absorbed the news yesterday. And then I was nearly overcome with feeling. What a gem. A genuine fucking throwback, a Spanish Steve Bull. Can you name another English-based player in the last DECADE who has chosen his supporters and his employer over the untold riches awaiting him at the end of the football rainbow?

This is a huge personal victory for the manager because it amounts to the best endorsement possible: that of your star player. Makes the Chairman look good, too.

Well done, Everton.