Members:   Log In Sign Up

Too pretty?

I don't want to overreact to today's poor performance. I wasn't carried away when we beat poor sides and I wasn't too disappointed when we lost to a decent side today. It's next week that counts.

I have some concerns, though. It seems to me that it is much, much more difficult to get out of a Moyes team than to get into it. Despite the relative strength of our squad, I fear that next week we will start with DM's old favourites.

Also, I'm concerned at our coach's post match comments. We were "too pretty" and tried "to play too much" ? This, apparently, is something that is going to be worked on. Heaven forbid that an Everton side should play too much. Get that knocked out of them damn quick, Davey. Nothing is going to change, so I'm expecting the usual negative stuff and enjoying anything else as a bonus.
Andy Crooks, Belfast     Posted 07/08/2010 at 21:59:25

Comments

Lyndon Lloyd
1   Posted 07/08/2010 at 22:27:23

I think I'm going to let the real business start next week before I set any expectations.
Jamie Crowley
2   Posted 07/08/2010 at 22:35:23

Lyndon's right (again....)

Next week is when it matters and this game really shouldn't be analyzed with too critical an eye.

Now if DM starts Osman, Hibbert, and Neville against Blackburn? There's a kitchen chair about 5 feet away from me that will be chucked through a window.

The starting 11 DM names next week will be very interesting. I can't wait...
Richard Reeves
3   Posted 07/08/2010 at 22:50:39

I'm getting a little nervous already. This pre-season I've felt for some reason that Moyes has become wiser and may have dropped some of his cautiousness and over-loyalty to certain players.

I just hope this game against Wolfsburg isn't any indication of the coming season and I'm not talking about the result because that wasn't that important. I'm talking about Neville and Hibbert playing and Coleman being on the bench. Either Neville or Hibbert but preferably neither with Coleman taking right back.

Jay Harris
4   Posted 07/08/2010 at 23:44:43

I think DM is spot on.

We overelaborated in MF enabling them to all get behind the ball when we attacked.

My main concern, other than defence which I've moaned about all Summer, is that Ossie played the majority of the game after having played the other night and Rodders only came on late for a cameo appearance.

Now dont get me wrong I like Ossie but with his poor passing today he should have been the first off not the last.
Brendan McLaughlin
5   Posted 08/08/2010 at 00:39:17

"i don't want to overreact"...err.. sorry Andy you just did!
Brendan O'Doherty
6   Posted 08/08/2010 at 01:56:58

Ditto Brendan.

"It seems to me that it is much,much more difficult to get out of a Moyes team than to get into it."

Come on, Andy. That's the old paramilitary analogy, which 'hasn't gone away, you know' (!)

"Nothing is going to change, so I'm expecting the usual negative stuff." Well the rest of us are bursting with optimism about the new season Andy, especially after today's news about 'The Conductor.'

I was at the match on Wednesday and I can assure you that the style of play in the 2nd half of last season will be continued this season. I saw one long ball all night (Coleman to Beckford), and we constantly tried to play it through the middle and on the deck. I wouldn't let one comment by DM put you off, and as Jay says above, it was totally appropriate.

We will play the way we need to play to win. Bottom line. Cheer up, the season hasn't started yet!
Art Jones
7   Posted 08/08/2010 at 04:10:06

There has been a tendency to try to score the ' perfect goal ' a bit too often ... I love our possession football that we play now and the neat little one touch passing and I'm sure that sooner rather than later we'll absolutely hammer some poor unsuspecting victim .. but sometimes , especially this early in the season we need to just be a little bit more direct
Steven Barton
8   Posted 08/08/2010 at 04:16:49

My main worry after watching the Wolfsburg game last night is that the "old favorites" will start next week.

To say I was disappointed with the starting line up, is an understatement, though I do understand its all about getting everyone match fit.

Though it would have been nice to have kept the unbeaten run going and put in a good performance to boot.

If the "old favorites" do start next, it will be me jumping through the kitchen window!

So I agree with you Jamie, the starting 11 next week, will be very interesting indeed.
Alan Clarke
9   Posted 08/08/2010 at 07:59:53

It still shows motes is tactically niaive when playing European teams. Who cares though, arteta has signed. Follow follow.
Alan Clarke
10   Posted 08/08/2010 at 08:03:04

Moyes that should say.
Andrew Bone
11   Posted 08/08/2010 at 08:01:16

We seem to have developed into a team that is good at keeping the ball and playing short passing football.

The problem is I get increasingly frustrated at the lack of the killer touch. We also seem to over cook the posession whereas the top four teams are able to turn defence into a goal more frequently.

I for one would like to see a more adventurous approach this season, but feel DM will probably stick with what he knows.

Heard a rumour that Yobo may be on his way out by the end of the summer - any thoughts?
Paul Gladwell
12   Posted 08/08/2010 at 11:23:59

Andy, how the fuck are you going to get your usual negative stuff with a midfield of Fellaini,Arteta,Pienaar and one from Osman,Rodwell,Billy and maybe Heitinga if he is not in defence?
I am expecting us to pass teams to death if we keep the injuries down, all those lads are top notch with the ball on the deck and the way they switch positions throughout the game is another thing I like.
Andy Crooks
13   Posted 08/08/2010 at 11:41:10

Paul, if Neville, Osman and Hibbert(all of whom I admire as good pros and squad players) start next week then I fear for the season. We need to be bold imaginative and most of all confident. Our players are good enough to go into any game without negativity or fear. Time to be bold.
Brendan O'Doherty
14   Posted 08/08/2010 at 13:28:20

Have you tried phoning the Samaritans Andy?
Steve Edwards
15   Posted 08/08/2010 at 13:38:09

Disappointing result against the only decent team we have played in preseason. Other premire teams seem to have played a better class of opposition. If we are to hit the ground running for a change I feel we should have been tested against against far better teams. We need to be up to the pace for the off. We'll just have to wait and see. Fingers crossed.
Paul Gladwell
16   Posted 08/08/2010 at 13:49:03

Andy, neville will most probably start and rightly so, the others I doubt.
Its all well and good creaming over Coleman and his time will come soon, but experience first, as he would certainly get caught out when he is marauding forward by better teams than we have faced pre season.
And as I said before a midfield with Fellaini, Arteta and Pienaar is more than being bold mate.
As for Osman, he should not be first choice but the lad was outstanding against those big teams last season and still he gets shit.Yet last season was the first time Arteta,Pienaar etc had ever done anything against a top team.
Dave Smith
17   Posted 08/08/2010 at 16:55:23

What, David Moyes started a game with Neville, Osman and Hibbert in the same squad?

Sack him now!
Guy Rogers
18   Posted 08/08/2010 at 17:54:50

we all know that moyes has a mental block on certain matters, for example playing Fellaini up front as a big dunc, you just know he will start with Hibbo at rb back, PIP in the middle and ossie on the right! Lets go and slit our wrists now!

Perhaps we can get away with just PIP out of the three at RB and even though we are 1-0 down to Blackburn and Moyes has refused to throw Coleman on we can console ourselves with the fact we did not have to watch ossie on the right with no pace and getting pushed over, and hibbo with no passing ability whatsoever!

The other 95% of Moyes we love e.g. most improved and young playing squad since the 80's but what is it about these mental blocks he has!

Trying not to be negative i was on here the other day agreeing with some one we could win the league but you just know he is going to start all three or at least 2 ,don't you?