Sligo friendly

As I am planning to travel to Sligo for this game, does anyone know what sort of squad Everton are sending? After playing in Germany on Saturday, surely it won't be the senior squad.
Jamie Carroll, Co Louth, Ireland     Posted 07/08/2010 at 22:09:01

Comments

Lyndon Lloyd
1   Posted 07/08/2010 at 22:26:34

Correct, it will be a Reserve squad, with perhaps Seamus Coleman as the most senior member.
Alex Kociuba
2   Posted 07/08/2010 at 22:47:38

I have a funny feeling Howard may play, possibly Heitinga?
Robert Moore
3   Posted 07/08/2010 at 22:57:53

Going to the game as well. Anyone know where Everton are flying into. Is it knock or Dublin and what time?
Colin Ryan
4   Posted 07/08/2010 at 23:50:08

Wish they'd announce the squad on the official site. A 300 mile trip just to see Coleman just aint worth it. If mad Johnny and T Howard were playing i'd spin up!
Gerry Grimes
5   Posted 08/08/2010 at 00:31:53

Anyone out there interested in the fact that Dixie Dean played for Sligo Rovers for a while in the Thirties.
Brendan O'Doherty
6   Posted 08/08/2010 at 01:39:41

Yes Gerry, he did. I especially like the story about his cup final runners-up medal being stolen, and then when he visited the town in 1978 a package was sent to his hotel room with the medal in it. It's the stuff of movies.

I was tempted to go tomorrow, but I went the last time we played a friendly in Ireland (v Bohemians 2006) and a youth team turned up, which included Anichebe. It was a boring 0-0. So I would not expect too much tomorrow other than a training exercise.
Charlie Percival
7   Posted 08/08/2010 at 02:38:45

were sending the Liverpool first team
scott richard
8   Posted 08/08/2010 at 02:42:41

lads flight is coming from germeny into ireland team booked into my hotel 26 in total thats players plus management team
Eugene McLoughlin
9   Posted 08/08/2010 at 10:17:26

I'm going as well, its only up the road from me. Whoever plays it will be good to see the Everton brand up here in the North west!! COYB I was tempted to wear the pink top but I' probably get stoned in Sligo!!!!
Eugene McLoughlin
10   Posted 08/08/2010 at 10:27:19

Hi Scott, What hotel is that now?
Seamus Murphy
11   Posted 08/08/2010 at 10:40:32

Everton from: Turner, Davies, Duffy, Mustafi, Bidwell, Baxter, Forshaw, Thompson, Hope, Wallace, Akpan, Craig, Nsiala, Donegan, McAleny, Barkley, Kinsella, Coleman.
Eugene McLoughlin
12   Posted 08/08/2010 at 12:48:50

How do you know this Seamus?
Sean Keigher
13   Posted 08/08/2010 at 13:51:06

There are t-shirts on sale before the game tonight with images of Dixie Dean & Seamus Coleman. Have a look at the Sligo Rovers website. Nice collectors item to have.
Eugene McLoughlin
14   Posted 08/08/2010 at 13:53:27

I believe the team are staying in the Clarion!
Seamus Murphy
15   Posted 08/08/2010 at 16:25:07

It's on the everton app Eugene
Steven Barton
16   Posted 08/08/2010 at 18:26:11

Great to see all you boys still keeping the faith; I knew that Everton used to be the main team in Ireland; not that long ago as well!

We're coming back though lads, I'm in China and my mate who's a yank has been asking if I can get him an Everton shirt.

Of course I can!

I'll be watching come Saturday, drinking Kilkenny, (what a drink), shame its about six and half quid a pint!

Gerry Western
17   Posted 08/08/2010 at 18:50:25

Steven, your right of course they were popular in the North of Ireland a long long time ago through religious affiliations . Sadly their following there has diminished over the years. However, I was speaking to a friend who's just returned from Algeria and was surprised to see a group of Algerians at a local seaside resort proudly covering themselves in EFC beach towels so there's hope for us yet. I still think Ireland could yet be a huge market for us but the club needs to do more to attract a following there.
Colin Ryan
18   Posted 08/08/2010 at 22:29:50

Having Everton merchandise available to buy in stores in Ireland would go a long way to improving our following over here. I've 3 young nephews and would be buying them Everton gear here if i could but buying online is a rip off with the currency rates and postage charges. Everton needs to look at this in my opinion.

I'd have this seasons kit by now if i could buy it in Dublin for ?50 euro like every other premiership jersey but the same kit costs ?80 to get sent over here.

A pre season friendly with the full Everton squad once every few years would be appreciated too. It cant cost any more to fly to Dublin than it cost to fly to Norwich and they could easily use the excellent facilties at Carton house that were good enough for Real Madrid, Newcastle and Villareal in the last few seasons. And all Irish clubs would jump at the chance of a money spinning friendly.
Brendan O'Doherty
19   Posted 09/08/2010 at 00:55:23

Colin

There are some stores in Dublin were you can get an Everton kit, keep trying. You have to somehow ignore all the RS and ManU stuff which is near the door! But I agree that the club could do better with it's marketing of itself in Ireland. (Wonder where I've heard that before?) I don't think they can do do much about the euro v sterling rate though, which, by the way, is a lot more favourable than it used to be.
Colin Ryan
20   Posted 09/08/2010 at 08:36:59

Brendan

Im nearly 100% sure an Everton kit cannot be bought in Dublin or anywhere in Ireland for that matter. Its part of the arrangement with Kitbag sports i believe. If you could tell me where i could find an Everton kit in Dublin i would buy it today. The club has to be losing money on this.
Sean Keigher
21   Posted 09/08/2010 at 12:53:47

No Everton kits are available in Cork either. Have tried all the sports stores, plenty of Man U, Liverpool, & Chelsea even Villa.

Beggars belief why the club don't have a distribution outlet in Ireland considering the support the club has here.
Brendan O'Doherty
22   Posted 09/08/2010 at 13:03:12

Colin

There definitely was somewhere in the Jervis Centre but admittedly that was a few years ago. So maybe you are right with your more up to date scenario with Kitbag. They definitely used to be available though under previous manufacturers. You could try heading North as a possible solution.
Colin Ryan
23   Posted 09/08/2010 at 13:28:03

Sean/ Brendan

Everton kits and merchandise can only be bought online thru the Everton web site. The only other way to get the kit is to fly to Liverpool and go to Everton 1 which is beside Goodison or Everton 2 which is in the city i believe.

Its so frustrating not been able to walk into Lifestyle/Champion etc and just pick up a jersey which was the case until a few years ago. They cant be got up north either.

Bought last years away jersey online and it cost me 80 euro which is a fair whack especially when we only keep our kits for one season.