Members:   Log In Sign Up

Dan Gosling: Not quite the last word

Here is my take on the Gosling affair: for a moment, put yourself in the man's boots.

He is a talented player just coming into the years when he may stake a claim for a position in the Everton team, possibly not yet as Everton has such players on their books as Arteta, Pienaar and Fellaini... but he should at 20 start breaking through and get some first team action ? after all, he has scored two impeccable goals, one in particular that will be remembered by Evertonians for a long time.

However, the competition for places at Everton is fierce, the midfield is crowded with such names as Neville, Arteta, Pienaar, Fellaini, Cahill, Rodwell, Bilyaletdinov and Osman... to add to this, Jagielka and Hietinga are possible and reliable stand-ins. Right back is covered by Neville, Hibbert and Coleman. Accordingly, your agent enlightens you to your future prospects and suggests that you think of moving to advance your career; what do you do?

Well, if it was me, I would listen to the agent and work out that I had as much chance in this team as Abu Hamza has of winning a wanking competition.

A club like Newcastle, back in the EPL, are looking for new talent, they pay well and have a small squad of average players. This situation may give you an open opportunity to advance your career.

I feel, after reading such derogatory comments on TW about Gosling, it would be worth thinking about the man's situation. Evertonians should take this as a compliment that we have lost a player because he simply cannot get into a quality squad rather than refer to him as a money grubber without loyalty.
Peter Pryor, New Zealand     Posted 08/08/2010 at 07:32:11

Comments

Lyndon Lloyd
1   Posted 08/08/2010 at 20:54:53

Peter's submission and any ensuing comments truly will be the last word on the subject of Dan Gosling as it's been done to death here at ToffeeWeb.

In lieu of an article I was penning in response to Bill Kenwright's comments regarding the matter at the Shareholders Forum (which would have been fine if they'd just stayed there and the issue not been dredged up again with a report on the Official Site two weeks after the matter had seemingly been put to bed) I will say that I think there's culpability on both sides.

If Gosling wanted to leave, there were clearly better ways of going about it than apparently worming his way through a contractual loophole and I have no doubt that his agent was the backseat driver.

For the Club's part, as much as I admire Kenwright's faith in a good old-fashioned handshake and a verbal agreement, the footballing world has clearly changed for the worse on that score and it was naive in the extreme to expect anyone to honour their word rather than have a binding contract on the table.

In the long run, the annoying thing is the £1m or so we probably lost from a tribunal, money we can ill-afford to pass up. As great as his knack for popping up in the area to score vital goals is, I don't for a second think he is good to enough to have broken into the Everton first team and may have ended up playing bit parts as a substitute this season.
Jay Harris
2   Posted 08/08/2010 at 21:01:42

For all that, he's still a sneaky "money grabber without loyalty".

He was not man enough to let Everton know his concerns while he sat on his arse, getting the best medical attention, taking his wages, and all the time plotting to get a free.

BTW he also screwed his previous club Plymouth out of some of the "fee" so that he could get his £25k a week.

Your point holds no merit with me whatsoever Peter.
Michael Kidd
3   Posted 08/08/2010 at 21:03:38

Who is Abu Hamza?
Gerry Quinn
4   Posted 08/08/2010 at 21:09:35

Michael 3 - beat me to that question - who the hell is Abu Hamza ?????
Antony Matthews
5   Posted 08/08/2010 at 21:12:50

Michael and Gerry ? It's what your right hands for... if you had one!
Steve Kidd
6   Posted 08/08/2010 at 21:16:10

Great joke! He's the hate preaching Islamic fella with the hook...
Gavin Ramejkis
7   Posted 08/08/2010 at 21:28:43

One massive flaw in the argument,: you want out., you put in a transfer request; your greedy bastard agent wants a bigger pay-day ? he engineers a shafting.
Alan Clarke
8   Posted 08/08/2010 at 22:07:47

That's a hell of a lot of talented players Gosling could have learnt from if he'd stayed. Who will he learn from at Newcastle? Joey fuckin Barton?
Brian Garside
9   Posted 08/08/2010 at 22:07:28

Gosling was never going to make it at Everton. He understod that and so engineered a move. Very astute as he has given himself a chance to play regularly plus a wage rise. Most of us would be proud of ourselves if we could manage such a thing, methinks!!!
Jimmy Hacking
10   Posted 08/08/2010 at 22:20:59

Here is the last word on Gosling: 'scrapheap'.
Mike Green
11   Posted 08/08/2010 at 22:21:57

Peter - Gosling is like a bloke who's been dating a beautiful girl - who's done a lot for him - but thinks she might be a bit out of his league.

To get a bit more action he goes behind her back and starts shagging her sister - who he hardly knows, is nowhere as nice but he's heard might put out a bit more.

There's no law against it but the enduring opinion of the beautiful girl when she finds out will always be "Cheers mate. To be honest, good riddance."
Chad Schofield
12   Posted 08/08/2010 at 22:38:54

Dan who?
Mike Green
13   Posted 08/08/2010 at 22:39:48

A footnote to the story is the beautiful girl a year later wins the lottery and Dan's found banging on her door, ringing her phone night after night:

"Mauureeen..... Mauureeeen... take me back Maureen.... PLEEAASE!!!! MAUREEEEEN......!!!!!"
Brendan McLaughlin
14   Posted 08/08/2010 at 22:37:19

Well I suppose when you put it like that.....NAW! He's still a money-grabbing, lowlife, devious, totally lacking in integrity, ungrateful little scumbag. Will fit in perfectly at Noooocasil.
Shite footballer as well.
Eugene Ruane
15   Posted 08/08/2010 at 22:00:01

Tend to agree with you Peter.

I know we can all be blind at times regarding Everton but some of the stuff that was (and still is) aimed at Gosling on here was blinkered in the extreme.

And you know why people were ACTUALLY so outraged?

He fucked Everton off, that fucked Evertonians off- simple as that.

I don't expect one single (or married) person to admit that of course - instead he was attacked because he was 'sneaky, greedy, broke his word, lack of morals, his agent' etc.

All of which might be true, but it's as one-eyed as fuck.

"Sneaky money-grabber without loyalty?"

Do people think players that sign do so out of 'loyalty'?

I mean what the fuck do people think happened regarding Arteta's negotiations?

He was so overcome with Everton he couldn't refuse?

I'm not 100% sure, but I bet there was an agent involved.

I bet there was a big jump in money involved.

I bet if they hadn't got what they wanted, they would have been off.

And did anyone from Barcelona ACTUALLY say they were after him?

Did Arsenal ACTUALLY put in a bid?

Did ANYONE?

No, it was all newspaper bollocks (wonder where that came from)

Yes I'm made-up Arteta signed a five year deal, but remember, he still had TWO years left on his present contract

Why the rush - coz he loves us?

If so why not see out the two years, then just sign again?

Did HE stick to his contract?

Were Everton under pressure from his agent? (ie: more NOW or we're off?")

I have no idea, but the black and white, saints and sinners thing is so fucking naive

Personally, I believe we all need to grow up and wise up where the Premier League is concerned.

Contracts (written or otherwise) aren't worth a wank if/when a player and/or his agent wants to move, or wants more money - NONE of them (and all players and all agents know it).

To have singled out Gosling in the way he was singled out was, quite honestly, absurd.

Incredibly, despite all evidence to the contrary, there are still supporters who believe stuff like "I genuinely think he likes it here" or "I really think he's got a feel for Everton" (or whoever)

Modern players are not fans and 99% of them are concerned only with THEIR careers and THEIR ackers.

Clubs, countries, shirts, supporters, ALL can and will be changed in a heartbeat.....for the right price.

Mike Green
16   Posted 08/08/2010 at 23:20:20

Eugene - I can appreciate that there is little loyalty in football these days from either side. The difference is that the bloke cheated us, I also think Arteta's reference to how the club had put no pressure on him and handled everything respectfully as a nod to the Gosling affair.

There are right and wrong ways of doing things and Dan Gosling and his agent did the wrong thing to meet their own ends. Fine. I'm sure a few extra million in the bank can make looking in the mirror a little easier but if Dan Gosling was one of your mates you know what sort of bloke he'd be:

"First out of the taxi - last in the pub."
Brendan O'Doherty
17   Posted 08/08/2010 at 23:29:12

Does Abu Hamza have a hook on his left as well?

Last word. "Wor Gander's been cooked, like."
Eugene Ruane
18   Posted 08/08/2010 at 23:49:46

Mike my point is, the fact that we 'know' he 'cheated' Everton, or rather we know the Pravda version (nb: we still don't know what he was being offered) doesn't mean for a second others have not attempted to get their way by unscrupulous means.

The 'logic' at the moment for many (apparently yourself) appears to be "if they sign, they are loyal non-cheats with scruples up the wah-hoo".

Sorry but that is nonsense!

You can sense right now that the verdict on Pienaar, for many, relies simply on whether he stays or not.

In other words he'll be loyal if he stays and a shifty little twat if he goes.

I am saying NOW that I consider his behaviour (and his agents) just as calculating and 'sneaky' as Goslings whether he stays or goes.
Matt Traynor
19   Posted 09/08/2010 at 00:59:59

Eugene, I believe your take and analogy to be closer to the reality. Certainly more than hate-filled wanking preachers...

The club has for many years "done a number" on some players who left. Many of our lot are all too happy to swallow the party line.

They had plenty of opportunity to put out a statement, and in the "digital age" (whatever that is) with 24/7 news channels and Internet, they really should be a bit more responsive to the point of being pre-emptive.
Jason Lam
20   Posted 09/08/2010 at 03:11:57

It didn't help when Moyes asked him to continue playing when the medics thought he'd already done his ACL.

I have no issues with people looking for new jobs and opportunities. It's the lack of class that's disappointing. He should've said he wanted to move on.

Dan, I don't know how long that signing on fee will last ya but your character is tarnished.
Tony Don
21   Posted 09/08/2010 at 03:31:18

Who's Maureen?
Michael Kenrick
22   Posted 09/08/2010 at 04:39:07

Well, everything I've read on the subject suggests to me that, through mid-May, he wanted to stay with Everton, that he fully expected the club to extend his contract for a further two years... as verbally agreed (apparently).

The fact that the club did not provide that extension or a new contract is surely the reason whey we are here, and why the scenario Peter describes was played out ? in all likelihood, once the message sank in that Everton didn't really want him. That''s the message he received back in May when they failed to give him a written contract by the required date.

And that clearly set in course a series of events which, yes, his agent made the most of. But don't lose sight of the fact that, if Everton had given him the written contract in sufficient time (like they have with Arteta and plenty of others) then none of this would have happened. I cannot see how that makes him a "money grabber without loyalty" ? especially when it was "loyalty" from the club's side, in the form of a new contract, that was evidently lacking. Surely it was this that effectively forced him (and his agent) to consider his position and the options they had.

What I still find remarkable is that he was able to sign for Newcastle and presumably complete a medical, while still on the injured list for the next six months with a serious knee injury.
Alex Whitney
23   Posted 09/08/2010 at 05:51:54

What I heard, from a friend who claims to know Gosling, and for one reason or another I actually believe he knows him, told me that everything was all agreed and when injured Moyes told him he'd have to wait to sign his deal till after Arteta and co. were secured. A few months later Gosling again asked to sign the deal and Moyes responded with the same, to which Gosling mentioned that he could move for free. Moyes then told him something along the lines of "who will take you with one leg" and Gosling decided he wouldn't play for us anymore.

Now the person who told me this is from plymouth, and has many photographs with Gosling. Does that prove he knows him? No, but I believe that version makes sense and I for one am okay with the situation. Moyes has his priorities of keeping the better players first, and Gosling just wants to play. We secured all our players bar pienaar, and Gosling gets to go play. He seems a decent enough lad, and I wish him the best.
Mark Burslem
24   Posted 09/08/2010 at 06:24:06

Sorry, but I don't really believe that this is all Gosling's doing. Yes, the way that he has left us stinks, but I honestly don't believe that the club happened to "forget" to present the written contract.

Yes, we have been (to put it diplomatically) incompetent with stuff in the past, but I just do not think that we would screw up on something like this with a player that we really want to keep.

Also, are we still paying Gosling's medical bills?

Having said that Newcastle would sign Abu Hamza
Eric Myles
25   Posted 09/08/2010 at 07:27:22

What Michael (#22) has written makes most sense. Loyalty works both ways, the club didn't make the written offer as they were obliged to do so the lad feels a bit miffed that they didn't follow through on their 'gentlemen's agreement / handshake' so goes looking for another employer.
I don't blame him, I do the same every year when my contract comes up for renewal, look at other options in case they don't want to keep me.
Eric Myles
26   Posted 09/08/2010 at 07:43:50

Mark (#24)

Abu Mamza is set to sign for QPR accordning to the BBC

Anthony Hughes
27   Posted 09/08/2010 at 08:04:59

Apart from a couple of goals against the shite and the mancs he was a distinctly average footballer,don't expect to hear too much from him again.
Helikaon Bow
28   Posted 09/08/2010 at 08:57:44

To highlight his selfishness further, look what happened at Plymouth, how much did they get from the deal? Nothing. and he KNEW that before jumping ship for nothing.

If he had any loyality, considering the fact taht everton made him and paid his medical bill, then he would have requested a transfer and got everton a fee.

PS - Peter are you dan or his agent by any chance?! :-)
Helikaon Bow
29   Posted 09/08/2010 at 09:13:46

and I'll be shouting 'gosBLING you greedy t**t' from the stands.
Alan Clarke
30   Posted 09/08/2010 at 09:08:33

Eugene, the reason Arteta is loyal is because other clubs would have paid him the same amount of money. The money from Everton will have helped make his mind up but his loyalty comes from the fact that Man City and Arsenal would probably pay him more. Also Arteta had 2 years left on his contract so why bother signing? If it was all about money, he could easily have seen out his last 2 years and gone and got himself a massive pay rise somewhere else.

Arteta is class, he conducts himself in the right way and will be the one of the greatest players to have played for us and you start comparing him to Dan fuckin Gosling.
Mark Stone
31   Posted 09/08/2010 at 10:00:16

To be fair, I spoke to the lad about this last week. It is more than fair to say that everyone is spouting a lot of shit that they know nothing about. I bear no hard feelings and wish him well in his career.
Ellen West
32   Posted 09/08/2010 at 09:58:25

I think your theory is flawed as you are missing a very important point. Surely Abu Hamza's hook is detachable and therefore he could replace it with a vibrating hand. This would give him an added advantage in any wanking competition.

Then again, I'm not sure of the rules of this competition, so may be the original poster can elaborate.

As for Gosling, if he wanted to play central midfield, he could have done, but he'd would have had to work damn hard to cement his place. If he's agent has suggested that he would never get a game in his preferred position, then it may be a good time to get a more motivational agent.
Eugene Ruane
33   Posted 09/08/2010 at 11:22:31

Alan Clarke - I would be interested to hear you argue the case for the existence of fairies at the bottom of the garden.

I'm imagining (following the 'logic' of your argument above) it would be along the lines of..

"They do exist but nobody has seen them because they would come out when nobody can see them and they could probably become invisible and could easily turn into a flower if we look at them"

Nonsense?

Well it is EXACTLY the argument you put forward to explain why you think Arteta is a cross between Mother Theresa and Bob Geldof and why Gosling is Satan.

You say

"Eugene, the reason Arteta is loyal is because other clubs WOULD have paid him the same amount of money"

Really?

What...you KNOW this (clue: No you don't, pure fucking guesswork)

And this total guesswork and wishful thinking continues.

"The money from Everton will have helped make his mind up but his loyalty comes from the fact that Man City and Arsenal would probably pay him more"

WOULD PROBABLY!?

The fantasy continues.

If it was all about money, he COULD easily have seen out his last 2 years and gone and got himself a massive pay rise somewhere else"

COULD EASILY?

Really?

What...aged 30 with two years more of Premier league defenders kicking the fuck out of his knees?

Bollocks (and so is what they teach at the 'woulda, shoulda, coulda' school of debate).

You finish with..

"Arteta is class, he conducts himself in the right way and will be the one of the greatest players to have played for us and you start comparing him to Dan fuckin Gosling"

Alan you obviously prefer to read what is in your head than what people actually write.

As I said earlier, one-eyed and blinkered.
Neil Humphrey
34   Posted 09/08/2010 at 12:25:20

Dan Gosling, the final word: 'c*nt'
Alan Clarke
35   Posted 09/08/2010 at 12:37:31

Eugene, at least what I wrote is in English. What the fuck does my post have to do with fairies?

You're the one in fairytale land thinking no other club wanted Arteta. Arteta himself stated there were 2 offers from other clubs that Everton turned down. I know it's from Bullshit Bill but he's come out today saying he turned down a bid from City. If City wanted Arteta, he would easily be on more than what Everton could offer. And we saw with Lescott that if a player wants to move he can force the issue. Therefore Arteta's motivation to stay was not all about money. I'm not reading what's in my head, I'm reading direct quotes from the people involved, which is more than you've got to base your argument on. You're the total cynic who seems to know exactly what's going on inside Arteta's head.

You're reasoning doesn't add up, Eugene, thinking that a much sort after player throughout Europe who has just signed for a club that's just dropped out of European competition and hasn't won anything is disloyal!
Tony J Williams
36   Posted 09/08/2010 at 13:33:09

Just like Gary Speed and Kroldrup we will never know the full truth unless you get a seat at the table at Everton FC.

Both parties are to blame and it could have been handled so much better.

Alex (23) I have a friend from Scotland, so he must know Moyes and he said that what Gosling said about Moyes is a "load of bollox", also when did Moyes become the legal representative of the club and able to negotiate contracts?
Eugene Ruane
37   Posted 09/08/2010 at 13:41:22

Alan, as I stated earlier, I don't expect you (or anyone else) to say..

"I love Arteta coz he's boss and he signed for us and Gosling's a twat coz he didn't and he wasn't that fuckin' good anyway".

But I believe that is the truth for many, yourself included.

(nb: in fact particularly in your case, as your attempts at 'justification' amounted to staggeringly lame 'would have', 'could probably have' guesswork and nonsense)

Oh and here's a tip - if you are going to begin a post with "Eugene, at least what I wrote is in English"
don't finish with a paragraph that contains "You're reasoning doesn't add up" and "much sort after"

(you only make YOU'RESELF look SOUGHT OF a twat)

Alex Whitney
38   Posted 09/08/2010 at 15:14:52

Just repeating what I heard, no idea if its true, but to me it makes sense.
Brian Waring
39   Posted 09/08/2010 at 20:54:59

So what do we make of Moyes's loyalty then? Not signing his contract until he had £75,000 on the table, doesn't that make him a greedy money grabbing fucker?
Brendan O'Doherty
40   Posted 09/08/2010 at 23:08:44

"Not signing his contract until he had £75,000 on the table"

You should know that that's not true, Brian.

The delay was over assurances regarding the future of the club, his position vis-a-vis any takeover, etc.

And he's on £3m p.a. I believe, not £3.75m.