Osman to Palermo

I've just read on various sites that Palermo are interested in signing our little Leon. Of course with all the media speculation over the summer, this could be no nearer to the truth than the one about Arteta going to Barcelona... but, if there is any truth to it and a good offer comes in, I would snap their hands off.

I've always thought that on his day he is a skillful and tricky player when used in the middle of the park but in all honesty I see him as a bench player coming on later in games, especially when you look at the type of players we have to fill midfield.

I like and respect any player who loves our club and gives all for the cause and Osman falls into that category for me but in terms of ability; from a purely business point of view, I would sell him. When looking at the squad we have, I (like most of us) have my own opinion on who are our better players and who are the weak links. To make the squad stronger, you improve on the quality of players and get rid of the lesser so.

I know it's good to have a mix of not just skilled players but players who can mix it up and put in a tough tackle, players that can defend, head a ball and so on... but, if Moyes is to continue buying young players with talent and potential and is going to get rid of lesser players and replace them with better ones, then these are the players I would move on:

Osman, Hibbert, Neville, Distin, Yobo, Anichebe and Vaughan.
Richard  Reeves, Coventry     Posted 09/08/2010 at 11:58:35

Comments

Anthony Hughes
1   Posted 09/08/2010 at 14:42:40

Agree with most of what you say, Richard. I've never been Osman's biggest fan but I appreciate the effort he's thrown in for the club and he always seems to be putting in 100% without recognition. However, if the interest from Italy is genuine and the price is fair, then I'd say sell him as I don't see him as a first choice across the midfield anywhere.
Charlie Percival
2   Posted 09/08/2010 at 14:50:02

That's why you're not the manager.

Keep our current squad, add to it, only sell if we have too.

Moyes said we don't need to sell (although we don't seem to be able to buy, but maybe the comment on here the other day is correct, Moyes is happy with his squad for now).

Anyway the players from Everton, Hibbert, Osman etc are the ones who have a big influence on getting other players to stay, and I assume they are probably two of the livelier bunch in the dressing room ? which you need at any club.
Chris Fisher
3   Posted 09/08/2010 at 15:00:17

Absolutely not; I agree he's not going to be a starter but he's a good squad player and with the squad we have got I really believe we can win something. The only reason I would except us to be selling him would be if we had someone better coming in, say Kevin Prince Boateng, and needed to free up some money for wages. Apart from that, it would make no sense.
Richard Reeves
4   Posted 09/08/2010 at 14:59:47

Charlie, thanks for clearing that up for me because I've been spending the last 20-odd years believing that I am running the club. Well, at least I should now be able to get a decent night's sleep.
Jay Harris
5   Posted 09/08/2010 at 15:02:42

Totally agree with Charlie.

Lets have as little disruption as possible and build on our stability not look to destroy it all and rebuild from scratch.

The best judges on who is important to the club are the managers and players.

My only wish would be for a high quality CB who can score goals and defend set pieces.Other than that I amquite happy to keep the squad we've got.
Fran Mitchell
6   Posted 09/08/2010 at 15:00:43

What we get for Osman wouldnt pay for a player of equal quality, especially a 'homegrown' player of equal quality.

We need a squad of players. Osman is a quality squad player. I would not place him in our strongest 11, but we will not always be able to field our strongest 11.

If Arteta get's injured, suspended or just needs a rest what other central midfielder can replace him?

None of Bily, Fellaini, Rodwell or Cahill are creative playmakers. Pienaar can fill that role but we need him out wide. So Osman is our only back-up to Arteta.

If we were to sign a replacement for him, he would most likely be very unhappy at being a deputy for Arteta. Osman, we know, will not sulk or cause any problems at not being guarenteed a starting place. He will always work his socks off, he is always good for a goal and capable of playing very well (Remember he was the best player on the field when we beat Man Utd last season).
Steve Pugh
7   Posted 09/08/2010 at 15:11:15

I would be mortified if we sold Ossie. He is as good a squad player as we could hope for, and like Fran said a good understudy if Mikky gets injured. He is also the perfect man to lead the team in the Carling cup and help blood the youngsters, like he did against Hull last season.
Mike Green
8   Posted 09/08/2010 at 15:13:25

I'm with Fran, Osman's a tailor made squad player, I wouldnt sell him.
Andy Whittingham
9   Posted 09/08/2010 at 15:20:38

I'm also gonna concur with the 3 posts above, Ossie gets on with it and is an invaluable player to have squadwise.. But he is also the 'joker', the Gazza if you like - he would probably be sorely missed off the pitch by all the players were he to depart.
Anand Rabheru
10   Posted 09/08/2010 at 15:33:53

Fran, Steve, Mike and Andy, I am agreeing with you!

I like Ossie and thinks he gets a lot of unfair abuse from Blues at times...When played in his best position (CM or behind the front 1/2) hes a decent player and while I agree he would not get in my starting 11, we would be worse off without him in the squad!
Phil Roberts
11   Posted 09/08/2010 at 15:32:07

Nice to see some "bigger picture" views coming through in toffeeweb these days.

As for Neville, I think Moyes would like him to stay for about the next 30 years, a couple more on the pitch and the rest as coach and maybe manager. Can he play - well Moyes did not set the football field alight, but does Pip know how to play - almost certainly yes and so did Moyes which is why he is the best manager.

So to lose him now would be stupid. I really do believe his is "I used to be a red, but now I am a blue"
Eric Myles
12   Posted 09/08/2010 at 16:09:29

Get rid of Hibbert?

NEVER
Karl Jones
13   Posted 09/08/2010 at 16:02:58

Could not see DM selling Ossie....Very underrated player in my opinion. He's not a wide player, but never moans and never hides. Better bet for England than Gareth Barry.

We need this type of player/ character. Every succesful club has them...Anyway, I suspect its more crap from the morally suspect institution of the British press.
Ciarán McGlone
14   Posted 09/08/2010 at 16:04:30

Leon is the most inconsistent player in our team..however Moyes will not sell him - he rarely gets dropped even when it's obvious to everyone that he's the weak link..

I'm quite worried that he'll be in the starting eleven come Saturday..
Gary Creaney
15   Posted 09/08/2010 at 16:11:02

I'm quite worried about that myself Ciaran. I like Ossie as he's familiar and would be sad to see him leave but I don't count him as part of the first 11-16.

This summer has seen many toffeewebbers offering their opinion on our starting 11 and not once do I recall Ossie being mentioned yet somehow I see him lining up on Saturday unfortunately.

Roberto Birquet
16   Posted 09/08/2010 at 16:24:10

--------
yeah, each copying the other.
Joeynkoo Ludden
17   Posted 09/08/2010 at 16:23:25

Anything above £2 and Id take the sale... and i did not miss the "m" out... Osman is a very good championship player... if we can admit gosling would never break into the side this season, why would we accept that Osman should?
Lee Hind
18   Posted 09/08/2010 at 16:22:08

Phenomenal....last season you couldn't move for Ossie haters on here - the opportunity comes up to sell him and it's a Leon Lovein...bizarre
David Price
19   Posted 09/08/2010 at 16:49:44

Osman does a great job for the team. Yes, I'd have Donavon on the right but, to maintain a strong squad, Leon has to stay.
David Thomas
20   Posted 09/08/2010 at 17:04:09

Lee 18,

I agree, very bizarre seeing the stick he has got on this website.
Mark Murphy
21   Posted 09/08/2010 at 17:25:40

I'm puzzled!

How the feck does Leon Osman get on the radar of a Sicilian club?

Why, out of all the players floating around in the ether, do they settle on Leon?
Has someone tipped them the nod that he may be available?
Has he indicated an interest in Cannoli that would suggest he wants to join them?
Weird!

And having seen the astonishing bust up in their recent friendly with blood and snot flying all over the place I would advise little Leon to think twice before buying a place in Corleone!
Chris Wilson
22   Posted 09/08/2010 at 17:11:53

Moyes will only sell a player at this stage if that player wants to leave. Right now he doesn't want to break up the band. I'll echo what a lot of others have already said; Osmon brings a lot of intangibles that are not reflected on the field that make him too valuable to lose in my opinion. He and Jags have been referenced many times as being the "jokers" and "pranksters" on the club and you need those type of players in the locker room. Plus he is homegrown as has been mentioned earlier and has demonstrated great work ethic and determination to be considered for the first team following loan stints at Carlisle (I think) and Derby when the latter wanted to buy him after his stint there. I think we pull our hair out with Leon because we see what he CAN do with super goals like Larissa and performances like Man U., it's just that the consistency is lacking at times. It would be interesting to see how he would fair in a league where the style of play is more possession based rather than the quick attack, speed approach in the PL, but I think he has too much overall value to lose.

Anyone who was asked (or maybe told) to brandish the new pink kit in public at its unveiling and do it with a smile can stay on my team any day!
Brian Murphy
23   Posted 09/08/2010 at 18:47:46

Guys

This is just the silly season rubbish in the tabloids. Even if it was true there's not a hope in hell he would head off to the Italian island.

I would definitely cash in if we could 3-5 Million for him but as I say I wreckin its all rubbish.
Paul Gladwell
24   Posted 09/08/2010 at 19:25:13

Try watching any of the following three home wins last season against Chelsea,City and Utd and you will see Osman was our best player in those three games running the midfield.
When he lines up with players on his wavelength like Pienaar and Arteta in the centre of midfield he is a cracking little player.
When he is played out wide out of position like Cahill he is shite and becomes the whipping boy.
It`s about time this lad got some praise as last season we missed him when he got injured.
He would not get in my first eleven when everyone is fit, but he is a good player to have when injuries develop providing he is played in the right position.
Gerry Western
25   Posted 09/08/2010 at 20:35:30

I'd sell to be honest, who can forget those performances against Spurs and the Shite to mention but a few. We need to have better options off the bench if we're serious about challenging for honours. Can't see anyone in the current midfield feeling under pressure to perform with Osman on the bench. If we struggle again to cover the wide right position I'd have Coleman in their well ahead of Osman. Like others, my concern would be that he might get the nod ahead of other players who are better equipped to compete.
Karl Masters
26   Posted 09/08/2010 at 22:19:36

Keep him! The Dressing room prankster and good for morale, but more importantly he has very quick feet and makes chances out of nothing. And he's an Evertonian through and through who overcame a terrible injury early in his career to rralise the dream.

3 Cheers for Ossie!! :)
Dick Fearon
27   Posted 09/08/2010 at 23:10:53

Having just read the Osman to Palermo rumour, I can't stop humming the Beatles 'Let It Be',
Andy Crooks
28   Posted 09/08/2010 at 23:26:17

Ciaran, you are "quite worried" that Osman might be in the starting eleven against Blackburn? Sorry, but understatement is disappointingly out of character from you.
Brendan O'Doherty
29   Posted 10/08/2010 at 01:00:21

We won't be selling Ossie ? superb on his day and a loyal servant to Everton. Cracking in CM as a creative force with quick feet and can score as well. As long as he doesn't play out wide ? wasted/not good enough in that position.
Brendan O'Doherty
30   Posted 10/08/2010 at 01:11:49

"Phenomenal... last season you couldn't move for Ossie haters on here - the opportunity comes up to sell him and it's a Leon Lovein... bizarre"

Has it occurred to you that the people in this thread who want Osman to stay are not the same people who previously castigated him?
Jason Lam
31   Posted 10/08/2010 at 02:52:33

Squad player who's always handy against the Wigans and West Broms
Lee Hind
32   Posted 10/08/2010 at 09:14:09

Brendan (30)

Yes it had occured but there are regular posters on here and considering the level of grief Ossie was getting on here, the level of support is as I said, bizarre.

Osman is one of those players who polarises opinion I suppose but it was just a comment...
Paul Doyle
33   Posted 10/08/2010 at 16:05:47

I think you mis-read the article; he is due to sign for Salerno and they play at Edinburgh Park ? his true level.
Brendan O'Doherty
34   Posted 10/08/2010 at 21:02:55

Fair enough Lee. I think that those of us who like Os and what he brings to the side (when played in the right position), just shut up when he gets hammered on here. The slaughtering normally occurs when he gets played out of position.