Tony Backs The Blues

For those of you who haven?t seen Tony Cascarino?s Premier League Guide in The Times today here?s what he?s written about us for 2010-11 season?..

?Everton

I expect great things. They were as good as anyone in the second half of the campaign in 2009-10 once their injury glut had cleared. If all the key players are fit, I think they will spring a shock and qualify for the Champions League.

Predicted Finish ? 4th?

I?m not his biggest fan but good effort, Tony ? nice to see a pundit put their cock on the block and back the Blues.

COYB!

Mike Green, High Wycombe     Posted 09/08/2010 at 15:24:17

Comments

Lee Hind
1   Posted 09/08/2010 at 16:16:12

As of now, I'm saying we'll spring a shock and be up there fighting for the title come May.

Why not? We've lost something like 2 or 3 competitive games since the back end of last year, we have a fully fit squad - key members of said squad on long term deals. We KNOW we can beat City, Utd, Chelsea and anyone who thinks we can't beat Liverpool needs their head read.

The only thing I see standing in the way is how we handle the pressure of being expected to win every week, home or away.

This is our year fella's, let the haters and negativity commence.............
Simon Kirwan
2   Posted 09/08/2010 at 16:21:30

Whilst agreed we will defo be pushin the top 4 hard, our defence is going to be our achilles heel this season. Jags and Heitinga are solid but Yobo / Distin will throw points away through clumsy errors.

Big season anyway, coyb
Gary Creaney
3   Posted 09/08/2010 at 16:22:55

I have 2 separate bets on with 2 separate mates - one RS, one Manure. I was looking to raise the stakes but each bet is for a measly tenner.
The bet with the RS is that we'll finish above them, simple as.
The bet with the manure is that we'll finish in the top 3.

Originally we'd provisioanlly agreed that each bet was gonna be £20 each but I went on to explain to them both that I reckoned that Everton's midfield was the best in the league. I listed 5 players Arteta, Fellaini, Pienaar, Rodwell and Cahill and instantly they began saying "A tenner will be enough".

Seriously though if you were to name the top midfielders at all the best sides does anyone have that level of talent?
David McKitt
4   Posted 09/08/2010 at 16:43:17

And it might help out chances now that Martin O'Neill has just resigned!
Fran Mitchell
5   Posted 09/08/2010 at 16:45:11

What does the opinion of Tony Cascarino matter?

He's an absolute tool
David Price
6   Posted 09/08/2010 at 16:57:19

Yeah, that fool was saying we were finished, relegation and going out of business last November, so not getting to excited.
Ciarán McGlone
7   Posted 09/08/2010 at 16:57:38

I've just got to point out that Tony Cascarino talks some pure and utter tripe....
Mike Green
8   Posted 09/08/2010 at 16:52:31

Fran - you're right, he is an absolute tool but he could quite easily have plumped for Spurs or Man City (and to a lesser extent RS) but went for us instead so its not just us that can see it - even tool like Tony Cascarino's on the EFC funbus!
David Price
9   Posted 09/08/2010 at 17:06:57

So O'Neill has quit, would love to see Mark Hughes's face after jumping into the Fulham job. To quote the fast show "Bugger".
John Schrempft
10   Posted 09/08/2010 at 17:21:16

Well, the Sunday Times predicts we'll finish 7th which seems too pessimistic.....

However, the year before they said we'd be in 8th place at the end of the season and that's exactly where we finished.......

They predict first place for Manure but then the paper is really the Manu admiration club in disguise.

Personally, I'm convinced we can achieve a top 4 place, injuries and bad luck notwithstanding. COYB!!!!!

Come on Peanuts, do yourself a favour and sign on like Mikel....

Jimmy Hacking
11   Posted 09/08/2010 at 18:58:25

It is refreshing to see someone stick their lanky neck out though, Which I believe was Mike's original point. "Tool" or no Tool.

I've read 7 or 8 of these season previews now, and literally every other one I have read has tipped us to come 7th, despite saying "this could be Everton's year, if the key players can stay fit" not one of them has tipped us to even crack the top bloody 6.

So nice one, Tony Iceycreamo.
Mike Green
12   Posted 09/08/2010 at 19:19:34

Precisely Jimmy - thank you.

Shortly after I posted this I got an email from a RS mate of mine saying "I can?t believe Cascarino thinks you tossers are going to be 4th!"

The only people he'll be getting any agreement from is us, so again - nice one Tony, credit where credit's due.

Mike Green
13   Posted 09/08/2010 at 19:33:46

Bar the fact that he should have put us higher of course...
Richard Reeves
14   Posted 09/08/2010 at 19:44:58

Wasn't it in the early stages of last season that Tony Cascarino was saying that Moyes had taken us as far as he could and that he should quit the club? This must be his idea of an appology but who cares? And who cares what he thinks?
Andy Crooks
15   Posted 09/08/2010 at 20:06:54

It's just amazing. We look for a kind word from anywhere.
Brian Waring
16   Posted 09/08/2010 at 20:29:59

Lee 1 "Anyone who thinks we can't beat Liverpool wants their head read"
Lee, they beat us twice last season with one of the worst redshite squads I have ever seen, they beat us with 10 men at Anfield. They also had a shite season, but still finished above us.

Let's just take one game at a time, and hopefully.......?
Brendan McLaughlin
17   Posted 09/08/2010 at 20:50:15

#Brian Waring: "Lets just take one game at a time, and hopefully.....?"Brian, I suppose this is you bordering on unbridled optimism!
Tony I'Anson
18   Posted 09/08/2010 at 21:09:53

If you believe in omens, see this http://www.evertonfc.com/match/league-tables.html?team_id=8&leagueEra=8&season=2009-2010&submit=Go

Everton (1983-84) P42 W16 D14 L12 F44 A42 GD2 Points 62

Everton (2009-10) P38 W16 D13 L9 F60 A49 GD11 Points 61

No-one saw us coming in 84-85. I know there were 4 less games, but the stats look very similar. If we can stop losing stupid points against lesser team and rise to the occasion in the big games, we could really cause a shock.
Brian Waring
19   Posted 09/08/2010 at 21:14:26

Brendan, maybe, or maybe......?
David Booth
20   Posted 09/08/2010 at 21:34:50

We are going to take a lot of people by surprise this coming season - numerous Evertonians included.

It's slightly frustrating that the so-called top four has been extended to a top seven this season and we still aren't in it?

Sneaking under the radar will prove quite amusing though and it'll be hilarious to see the media all coming out and saying how they predicted Everton would be a force to be reckoned with.

Personally I see a top four finish as the very minimum I am expecting and see us very much as title contenders.

We have a fabulous squad full of class, experience, youth and more than a few wild cards. More importantly, they're ALL fit.

Behind them is a terrific manager and a discernable sense of confidence - both from him and the team on the pitch.

Only once in the last 44 years have I felt as optimistic as this... it was 1984 and we went on to win the league!
Mike Green
21   Posted 09/08/2010 at 21:51:38

Nice work Tony - and great post David Booth.

In 83-84 we came 7th, 18 points behind Liverpool, last season we came 8th, 25 points behind Chelsea with 4 games less.

Too much a gap to bridge....?

Our downfall in 84 was drawing too many matches, only Norwich drew more, by one game. Our downfall last season was drawing too many games, only Stoke drew more, again 1 more.

So - convert those draws into wins, turn the title chasers over on home and away and we're there. Easy!
Dick Anderson
22   Posted 09/08/2010 at 22:17:05

Depends on the start. In recent years Everton have started badly and by the time they recover it's too late to mount a challenge on the Top 4.

If Everton can start well then there's every chance they can challenge for a Top 4 spot.

Blackburn away though. Tricky first game.
Sean Keigher
23   Posted 09/08/2010 at 22:04:51

While all the talk seems to be about how great our midfield is (which it is), I think we are still lacking a 20+ goals striker.

Saha ran out of gas by February last season & the Yak hasn't performed since his return from injury coupled with the hangover of a dismal WC for Nigeria.

I sense Vaughan will always be a sick note and Anichebe just doesn't convince me that he has the potential to be a prolific goal scorer.

Beckford remains our great hope and I have a lot of faith in him, he has pace & strength to cope with the demands of the PL. Don't know enough about Gueye to comment yet but here's hoping he will be the surprise of the season.

If we are to challenge for top 4, Pienaar, Felli Osman & Bily will have to pitch in with their fair share of goals when called upon. I'm talking at least 7 or 8 each over the season. This IMO will be the difference between a top 4 finish and top 7 or 8 finish It's taken for granted that Cahill & Arteta will pitch in with their fair share.

Can't wait for Blackburn on Saturday.
Iain Love
24   Posted 09/08/2010 at 22:42:07

When we won the league, the goals were spread amongst the team. Where we are strongest is across the middle and we just need to push those players forward more and say, "Go on, lad... have a go!"

Bily ? great shot on him; Micky ? pearling free-kick taker; Timmy ? does it already; Peanuts ? scored some corkers; Rodwell ? his goal against Manure was class and he can shoot from distance; Maro ? his's head can do some damage. It's all there. COYB

Wayne Smyth
25   Posted 09/08/2010 at 22:31:52

We'll do fine this season, with a top 4 finish entirely possible. None of the sides around us have significantly strengthened. Only Man City have bought in any additional players and ironically, the more they spend, I think the less likely they are to do well. :)

I think we need to remember that we don't have the distraction of a European campaign unlike our rivals this season and only a few of our players went to the world cup.

In fact players like Arteta, Yak and Fellaini have not played a lot of football and will hopefully be raring to go. Rodwell, Coleman are getting better all the time and the addition of Beckford should hopefully give us some depth up front.

Villa could well be buggered with O' Neill going and Milner almost gone. The RS are such a good team, they thought their best chance of beating us last season was to kick us off the park! Their preseason results also look distinctly average.

All in all I think we've got a better chance than we've ever had of securing a top-4 position. Certainly our squad is the strongest we've ever had, compared to our rivals.
Brendan O'Doherty
26   Posted 10/08/2010 at 01:24:59

Is this the same Tony Cascarino who last season said that David Moyes was not going to achieve his ambitions at Everton and "needs to move to a bigger club?"
Richard Mudie
27   Posted 10/08/2010 at 02:22:01

I was just browsing the Daily Mail's site and found an interesting article about 8 "expert" opinions on who will finish where in the forthcoming season. I expected to see the usual Sky 4 named, along with free-spending Man City as their choice for the top 4 and cup winners.

However, I was interested (and quite proud) to finally see Everton being seriously considered as contenders for both. One of the 8 named Everton in their top 4 and 3 of them named Everton as their favourite to lift the FA cup.

Here's the link : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1301430/Whos-money-Sportsmails-experts-new-Premier-League-season.html

Afzan Yusuf
28   Posted 10/08/2010 at 06:35:11

Simon #2,

Our backline might be our Achilles heel but I expect Jag himself will scores 1 or 2 goals past Howard... just like the previous seasons...
Lee Hind
29   Posted 10/08/2010 at 09:11:01

@ Brendan (16)

I'm aware of that, I'm suggesting that the team was/is good enough to beat them regardless of the actual result. We drew with West Ham too and we're better than them.

The point being, I was exercising my optimistic streak, it's ok, is back in the box now...
Matthew Mackey
30   Posted 10/08/2010 at 09:08:14

Come on Davey lad, put a big Scottish arm around Peanuts, tell him you love him, give him some extra pocket money and get him to sign up like Mickey did. Then the jigsaw will be complete and a memorable season could be on the cards.
COYBs !!!!!!

Oh and Davey lad, don't get tempted by the American with the short arms and long pockets who owns the club down the M6 with the most fickle fans in the land. Stay where you're loved!
Christian Yandell
31   Posted 10/08/2010 at 10:27:03

Bloody hell Ciarán is anyone who suggests Everton have a great squad that could really do something this year an Idiot?

Are you not starting to realise that it is not only over optimistic fans like myself who are looking at our squad and thinking that they are man for man on par with most of the teams who will be challenging this term?
Ben Jones
32   Posted 10/08/2010 at 13:06:54

Meh, it's nice to have a change for media pundits liking us.

But Tony Cascarino is not a great pundit.

But I like to say as a ToffeeWebber pundit, I think we can finish in the top 4!
Anthony Jaras
33   Posted 10/08/2010 at 20:43:18

Three weeks ago, I realised the potential that this squad has to achieve things this season, so I had a check on the odds for the title and was stunned to see that we were priced at 250/1.

After a couple of days thought, I decided that we were definitely worth a punt at that price, so I decided to put £20 on each way. The only problem was that I didn't actually get round to physically doing it til this morning and guess what? The odds have been slashed to 150/1.

I can only assume that the fact that our most talented and influential player has finally signed a new contract, coupled with yesterday's announcement that Villa are on the rocks, has bumped us up the list of teams in with an outside shout of causing a shock this season.

All I can say is, if you are contemplating having a flutter, then do so now before he odds get slashed again.

ps. Beckford at 33/1 for top goalscorer seems like a decent shout too, anyone know the odds for Beckford as top English goalscorer?

Mike Green
34   Posted 11/08/2010 at 01:24:04

Anthony - 250/1 went a while ago - nothing to do with Arteta / O'Neill so dont beat yourself up. I got 300/1 on Betfair at the time - wha-hoo!

Odds on Beckford are 66/1 shortest, 100/1 the longest.

Take Beckford at 100/1 e/w, pays out Top 4 at 1/4 odds which is a great bet I reckon.

Good luck.
Karl Parsons
35   Posted 12/08/2010 at 14:07:31

I was in Devon last week for a couple of days break and on impulse decided to pop into a local bookies to see what the odds were for Everton to snatch the title from Chelsea this season. Frankly I was shocked at what I was offered: 150 to 1.

The girl behind the counter obviously thought I was nuts when she saw the shock said odds had on me. ?Really, that much?? I spouted.

Since when had the bookies even given away their cash? Obviously never... however, I do feel 150/1 represents a mighty fine proposition for a side that has only lost twice in the league in 2010.

No, I am not saying here we are destined to win the league this year, even with the magical 24-year thing (http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/everton-fc/everton-fc-news/2010/08/07/everton-fc-will-secure-shock-premier-league-title-victory-this-season-100252-27013503/) a lot of people have noted lately... but, with a good wind behind us, who knows?

Whether you put my optimism down to blind logic or madness, if we manage to keep our key players out of the treatment room (and lord knows we deserve some of that luck) and we get off to a flyer, our odds will tumble faster than the dark-side?s credit rating.

Did I back us? No I didn?t. But it told me this: I believe, even though we are now seen in some quarters as a growing commodity, our stock is still seriously undervalued. So I wagered £50 of my kid?s inheritance and opted for a top 4 finish and got a more realistic 6/1.

I don?t mind telling you I won?t be kicking myself if we did walk away with it, because 350 quid and a big shiny pot in the trophy room next May will do me well proud.

COYB!