The Top 7

There has been a lot of optimism here about the new season for the Blues and a lot of it has been due I think to our more stable close and pre season coupled with (with the exception of Man City) a lack of transfer activity amongst the big boys. Also we have not lost any key players and the platform for success looks a lot more secure that in previous seasons.

So this is my prediction for the Top 7:

1 Man Utd
2 Chelsea
3 Tottenham
4 Everton
5 Arsenal
6 Man City
7 Liverpool

Despite Man City's spending spree, I just can't see them breaking into the top 4 this season. Too many comings and goings within their playing staff coupled with an overrated manager should keep them away from the promised land.

But I do think we have a chance to break into the Top 4 this year. I am not sure we can overhaul the top two who I think will still be the two teams to beat this season but, after that, I think we have a decent chance of 4th for sure and maybe even 3rd if Tottenham?s Euro campaign adds stresses and strains to their league challenge.
Alun Jones, Malaysia     Posted 10/08/2010 at 18:37:40

Comments

David Moore
1   Posted 11/08/2010 at 01:02:38

I like you think that Man Shity won't make the four. I however think that neither will Tottenham. I see Man Utd as clear winners. CHelsea i actually think might fall a bit, but will componsate that with a good European run. Unfortunately the shite now have a good manager and have the signing of the summer in Joe Cole.

1 Man Utd ? clear winnners
2 The Shite
3 Everton
4 Chelsea
5 Arsenal
6 Tottenham
7 Man City ? go through 3 managers

I feel that Man Utd have the title to lose. Places 2-5 will be up for grabs for the others.
Andrew Mackenzie
2   Posted 11/08/2010 at 01:26:40

Man U and Chelsea will be there on previous despite age of squad etc. I agree re City and stability. Can't see Spurs anywhere near top four due to CL and then Europa distraction. Arsenal will be there about as always. Shite are the unknown, like it or not, steady Roy will get them organized and so they are the unknown. As for us, best season to throw away? I hope not. A solid season with top four and a piece of silver would be success... then who knows!
Mike Green
3   Posted 11/08/2010 at 01:59:19

Sweet Jesus David Moore - how pissed are you...?! :D
Tony Rice
4   Posted 11/08/2010 at 02:30:28

While I'm optimistic about our prospects.....people seem to be a little over the top right now......
Here's my guess....

4. Arsenal
5. Spurs
6. Man City
7. Fulham
......
20. The Shite

That was a pleasant dream...
Tommy Meehan
6   Posted 11/08/2010 at 03:18:30

Hahaha have to agree Mike. Chelsea in 4th?!? If anyone is going to walk the title this season it'll be the roubled abomination.
Adam Fenlon
7   Posted 11/08/2010 at 02:14:28

There?s really no good reason to ?predict? that we?ll finish above either Arsenal or Chelsea because both of those teams undoubtedly have better squads and have managers capable of using those squads effectively. To finish above either, we would need to seriously overperform as well as have them have an injury crisis or other major loss of form.

We?re perfectly capable, with the squad we have, of finishing higher than Spurs, City and the Shite IFwe play to potential?..
Anthony Hughes
8   Posted 11/08/2010 at 07:45:58

Love your optimism David ,pissed or not.
Rick Adams
9   Posted 11/08/2010 at 07:41:52

Wow, you have got to love pre-season optimism. If we finish in any of those places mentioned, we will have had a fantastic season but it really is unrealistic considering the resources of those other clubs.

I think we would all be quite happy with European qualification next season and a good cup run. While I can see us doing well, it's going to be those games where we have to grind out results that will let us down.

Tony J Williams
10   Posted 11/08/2010 at 09:08:23

The way our luck is at the moment, the first game against the cloggers at Blackburn will see Arteta, Fellaini, Pienaar, Baines and Cahill booted everywhere and see them all out for 8 months and we will be lucky to get a top 10 placing.

Keep everyone fit and healthy and we will get back into Europe but I doubt it will be anything other than the Wafer Cup
Alan Clarke
11   Posted 11/08/2010 at 09:04:25

If you look at teams who finished strongly the season before, they always seem to start strongly the season after. The same goes for teams who finished poorly, they seem to start badly. When we finished 4th, our form during the latter part of that season was dreadful and we found ourselves languishing in the relegation places during the first half of the next season.

2 seasons ago, Spurs' form during the second half of the season saw them move from relegation places to top half and they started very strongly last season. I know it's not a hard and fast rule but there is a bit of a pattern. So I'm hoping we'll get off to a flyer. The crucial part for us will be December - January when the fixtures and injuries start to pile up and we realise we need more than just a good starting 11.

I think we'll finish 5th but with a bit of luck in those tight games against the likes of Birmingham, we could snatch 4th.
Mark Murphy
12   Posted 11/08/2010 at 09:10:53

As a native based in the south I've got
to say i'm enjoying pointing out to the locals that the North West once again is rising with 4 of the top 8, possibly top 6, teams in the country, being from my little corner of the world!

Optimistically think we will finish 3rd
Realistically think we'll finish 4th.
I dare to dream we'll win it!

A good year in prospect!
Alan Clarke
13   Posted 11/08/2010 at 09:32:07

I wish it was 1 of the top 8 Mark. I'd gladly see all those other North West clubs in th bottom half.
Kunal Desai
14   Posted 11/08/2010 at 09:25:58

I think the key this season is really keeping the like of Arteta, Saha and Jags fit. Hopefully Saha can rediscover his goal scoring form of last season but after the Chelsea game at home in Feb he contributed little.
Well all know of Arteta's influence to make that side tick and equally as important Jags partnership with Johnny.
Distin and Yobo don't fill me with great confidence. I think we still need another strong centre half as backup.

Keep these three fit for the entire season and we have a chance of 4th.
Much will depend on whether Spurs get through to the group stages of the CL? Will Man city put out strong squads in the Europa leaue? the shite will have some stability under Hodgson. I personally believe that when it comes to strength in depth Spurs and Man city have more strength in depth with a little quality. We still lack two or three players in certain areas.
I'd love to say fourth but I just don't see it, it's the injuries that concern me.
Man City to finish in the top 4 along with Arsenal.
Anything above 7th for us will be a bonus!
Prabhat Mukherjea
15   Posted 11/08/2010 at 09:41:41

Jumping into the mix, after a long break from Toffeeweb, I would say

1. United

5. Man City
6. Spurs
7. The Shite
Prabhat Mukherjea
17   Posted 11/08/2010 at 09:49:41

@ Richard-

Sad days, if even the heart won't aspire to better than 4th place...
Duncan McDine
18   Posted 11/08/2010 at 10:02:45

It will of course be Utd and Chelsea in the top spots. Below that, I really couldn't predict anything. I'm just hoping that our lack of European football will help give us the upper hand on the rest. Arsenal will still be strong, City and the RS are tricky to predict, Villa aren't out of it just yet, and Spurs could push on too.

Weighing everything up, I think it'll be:

1. Chelsea

4. Man C
5. us
6. RS
7. Spurs
Paddy Francis
20   Posted 11/08/2010 at 10:49:12

It's particularly odd that some posters think we'll come above Arsenal who finished 14 points above us last season and have only got stronger in terms of adding to a team of relatively young players who are bound to get better.

They share our key strengths: stability, good young players and strong value - but they are at a consistently higher level than us.
Gareth Humphreys
21   Posted 11/08/2010 at 10:46:44

1 Chelsea
2 Man City
3 Man Utd
4 Everton
5 Liverpool
6 Arsenal

Not too convinced about Spurs and Villa this season
Max Main
22   Posted 11/08/2010 at 10:56:31

Paddy - I don't think we'll finish above Arsenal but it's not totally unreasonable. Because of the injuries last season was an unrealistic reflection of our squad and the first half of the season cost us those 14 points.

In 08-09 Spurs finished 21 points behind Arsenal. In 09-10 they finished 5 points behind - that's a 16 point swing, even if they didn't quite catch Arsenal.

Anyway, I think it's unlikely we'll finish ahead of the Arsenal, but stranger things have happened, and we all start on zero.
Mike Green
23   Posted 11/08/2010 at 11:04:20

This isn't easy is it...... my head says...

1. Chelsea

4. Sunderland
5. Blackpool
6. Wolves
7. West Ham
Paddy Francis
24   Posted 11/08/2010 at 11:20:50

I'm a little more sceptical about the "if we'd had our 1st choice 11 every game" excuse - Maybe it would have made a big difference, but "what if" Liverpool had Torres fit every game? "What if" Rooney had been fit all season. Etc etc.

More importantly to this thread, even if you do wish to give us some benefit of the doubt compared to the teams above us last season on the basis of injuries, I'm not at all sure that this washes when comparing us to Arsenal who had a shocking list of injuries of their own to deal with for ALL of the season, not just until Christmas.
Paddy Francis
25   Posted 11/08/2010 at 11:25:29

Eg. - doesn't this sound familiar?!

Andrew Ellams
26   Posted 11/08/2010 at 11:32:37

If all teams stay injury free then fourth is the best we can expect I think. But Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs are all pretty thin below the top level so if somebody takes on our jinx from the last couple of years it will surely take them out of a very close race. There are 7 teams good enough to finish in the top 4 and it's going to take something that nobody could possibly predict to split them up.
Mark Murphy
27   Posted 11/08/2010 at 11:43:09

Allan Clarke,
yeah, I know, but living down here and getting stick daily for being a scarse git or norvern mankey I try to give it back whenever I can and the NW footballing prowess is undeniable.

Apart from that I've never resented Utd or City anyway but have to admit that I'm grudgingly letting LFC in that elite 4 - I'd love to see them sink as well!

But, you have to agree, 4 out the top 6-8 teams in the whole country from our part of the land is prideworthy indeed?

Heres to Warrington beating Leeds at Wembley, Saints beating Leeds at OT, Wigan winning the worthless RL leaders shield and Lanky lanky lankyshire winning the cricket thingy league and I'll really be crowing!
Norman Merrill
28   Posted 11/08/2010 at 11:56:24

Reading some of those comments, it seems that fans really feel we have a chance of finishing in the top four. I would not try and suppress the optimsm shown, and with NO distraction from the Europa League, and luck with injuries, we should really be up for it.

One big improvement for me would be taking maximum points from the crowd across the park, that would be a start.

Ciarán McGlone
29   Posted 11/08/2010 at 12:03:17

Here's mine - for what its worth..

1. Arsenal
2. Chelsea
3. Man City
4. United
5. Liverpool
6. Spurs
7. Everton
Ciarán McGlone
30   Posted 11/08/2010 at 12:11:54

Disclaimer: the above prediction is based on the teams as they currently stand..I will of course retain the right to modfiy this on the basis of new arrivals...
Mike McLean
31   Posted 11/08/2010 at 12:20:39

#30 - and results!

But looks like the sensible bloke's bet to me.

Have a feeling, horrible though it is - that Liverpool will once again be our nemesis.
Dennis Stevens
32   Posted 11/08/2010 at 12:14:25

1. Everton - it's a simple matter of destiny according to the 24 year rule.

Below that I'm not really arsed.
Kevin Gillen
33   Posted 11/08/2010 at 12:09:45

Really hard to predict. I would love to see the league become wide open again but it is really hard to see that happening. It really galls me to see the uniform acceptance of a Chelsea/Man unt 1/2. I think if more teams were adventurous they could shake up the top 2. We must make use of our European break this year and corner the top teams when they come back from the outer reaches of Eastern Europe or while their minds are still on their fixtures against Barcelona or Inter. If we take each match as it comes with the talent and excellent management we have got we should be so close to a top four finish. Also I do think Chelsea are an accident waiting to happen and United are growing old/in transition. Any of Spurs/Liverpool/Man City could come again this season. We have to make sure it is us.Some bold decisions are required. Coleman to start. Rodwell to start. These lads have the quality athleticism and the hunger. Pip for the bench. COYB -I am ready!!
Richard Parker
34   Posted 11/08/2010 at 12:19:42

Prabhat 16 - I agree, sad days indeed. Unfortunately, looking at the transfer activity around us, the only ones who have gone backwards since the end of the season, relative to us are Villa.

Even the heart can't help a slight sense of realism.
Kevin Gillen
35   Posted 11/08/2010 at 12:28:29

Ciaran, by the way, why do you see the Arsenal project coming together this year? I thought if it was going to deliver it would have done so last year and I fail to see how they are stronger.
Ciarán McGlone
36   Posted 11/08/2010 at 12:38:05

Kevin,

They had an injury crisis to rival ours last season...

I also rate Chamakh..

Now I know they're short a central defender or two... But Arsene has already said they're going to throw money at that before the window closes.

I think they have a midfield that can dominate any other midfield in the league..

Everybody always says 'It's Arsenal's year'... I think they'll at least go close this season.
Dave Smith

4. Arsenal
5. Tottenham
6. Everton
7. Liverpool.
Kevin Gillen
39   Posted 11/08/2010 at 13:01:56

Ciaran, I'm hoping they fall apart. I think they are half a team without Fabregas, I also think they have problems at Goalie, centre back and up front where Bendtner continues to disappoint. I hope too they continue to be undermined by the Fabregas /Barcelona issue; every time they get a poor result they will have that chestnut thrown at them. There is some thing else too and that is the mix isn't right. The twelfth man on the pitch - teamwork, they haven't got it quite right. I admire them and their philosophy, they deserve to be rewarded for that. United have that 12th man yet it seems to me they have got problems other than their teamwork, in that they're all getting a bit old and cranky. I've not seen Chamakh so I can't comment on him, I hope he is the next Franny Jeffers.
Iain Love
40   Posted 11/08/2010 at 13:00:26

At this time we are joint top, let's keep it that way. The key thing is to focus on WINNING games against teams we have drawn with in the past.

It appears an awful lot of managers settle for draws against teams they believe are better than them or when they are away from home. If we won all our home games and drew all our away games we would still not win the league. We must win at least 50% of our away fixtures as well as our home games to win the league.

Tall order i know but that's what it takes to win the thing.If we did that, it makes no difference what everyone else does, and frankly I couldn't give a toss about the rest.

Oh, by the way Manure wont be in the top 2 this season, 3rd if they're lucky.

John Crook
41   Posted 11/08/2010 at 13:06:07

1 EFC
2 Man Utd
3 Chelsea
4 Arsenal
5 Spurs
6 Man City
7 Aston Villa

We can do it ? there is no fear factor regarding the other teams anymore. Last sesason how can Man City and Liverpool justifiably claim they are much stronger than us by finishing 3/4 points ahead when we had an injury massacre that lasted 5 months? Can they fuck - Man Utd have a stronger and more experienced squad than Chelsea and Utd pose our main threat to the title. But we took them down last season and can do again this season.
Tony J Williams
42   Posted 11/08/2010 at 13:25:24

Iain, the pessimists would say that we are also joint bottom too.
James Mullarkey
43   Posted 11/08/2010 at 13:19:52

Norman, I agree...We need 6 points off RS this season. Ifs and buts won't do. We usually have an excuse but if we are all fit this year we should be able to take at least 4 points. We usually bottle it at Anfield. No excuses this year.

I remember the 84-85 close season and we were all optimistic of our chances of doing well but not sure we realised how well. It's important Moyes is ruthless too and shows no favouritsm. Saha, Neville (even though he is great leader), Distin & Baines worry me. The rest are okay.

We are going to come up against some dirty bastards. Remember the RS last year. We have to stand up and give it back and we need to beat the lower half. We may get into 4th but no higher in my opinion.

Mark Murphy
44   Posted 11/08/2010 at 14:05:39

The trouble is James, when we "stand up and give it back" the refs clamp down on us!
I know I'm biased but whenever we play that shower it seems we play the ref as well!
Joeynkoo Ludden
45   Posted 11/08/2010 at 14:22:24

When we lose to a bruising Blackburn will it set home that we can not, under any circumstances, win the league this year or in the next 10 years.
Andy Amey
46   Posted 11/08/2010 at 14:18:15

There are so many variables in this (and I won't bore you all with them here again).... However, Tottenham, Liverpool and the rest could all have 12 games or more than us this season. Also if Beckford finds his shooting boots early, confidence will rise, and I can see The Blues getting into the top 4.
Anthony Hughes
47   Posted 11/08/2010 at 14:26:16

Tony X Williams
48   Posted 11/08/2010 at 14:36:01

Here's my 2 bahts worth...
1. United
2. Chelsea
3. City
4. Everton
5. Arsenal
6. Liverpool
7. Spurs

Cant wait for the match on saturday. I guess Arteta will get a warm welcome from his 'friend' at Blackburn. Let's hope it's not an eye for an eye... ;o)
Ciarán McGlone
49   Posted 11/08/2010 at 14:56:30

"I agree Mark, I'll bet there's a few refs who are already polishing their cards for Fellaini."
-------------

That might actually have something to do with the fact that he's been a dirty fecker for his first two seasons.....
Matteo Rosingana
50   Posted 11/08/2010 at 14:48:48

It's worth noting that, aside from Mike Green's beautiful dream (24), no-one sees any of these teams finishing outside of the top 7. I don' think Villa would be too far away, and who's to say Fulham or Stoke or another has a great season and nips in there? Or have we got to the situation where the Sky 4 is now the Top 7, a new impenetrable cartel?
Brian Waring
51   Posted 11/08/2010 at 15:09:54

Your right there Ciaran, I can remember him being a bit tasty with his elbows a few times, and getting away with it. Even the infamous tackle with the Greek lad at the shite, he was way over the top. Thing is ( And I never thought I would be saying it ) he could be an important player to us this season.
Ciarán McGlone
52   Posted 11/08/2010 at 15:36:02

No doubt about it Brian...he will have a very good season with good players around him...He thrives on other players doing the creative work....I don't think he likes being the footballing centre of attention..
Lee McIntosh
53   Posted 11/08/2010 at 16:20:03

Not really related, apart from the fact he could help us get in the top 4, not 7... But Landon Donovan will be on the front cover of Fifa 2011! Cool... http://bit.ly/dC6VkC
Joeynkoo Ludden
54   Posted 11/08/2010 at 17:23:11

Donovan is a poor mans Peter Beagrie... if ever there was a £12m solution to a thirty squid problem....
Stephen Kenny
55   Posted 11/08/2010 at 17:29:24

As always injuries will play a massive part in how our season pans out. What happens if say the Jag and Johnny are both injured for a month or two at the same time? Short answer is were fucked.

This reason alone makes me think that 4th is a realistic bet and higher is out of reach due to the depth of other sides squads. I hope I'm very, very wrong and we all owe Dave a pint for posting those odd's a few days ago
Alex Kociuba
56   Posted 11/08/2010 at 17:26:39

Is anyone sick to death of the words Landon Donovan? Its beyond a joke now.
Stephen Kenny

3 Ev'ton 19 11 6 2 34 17 +17 39
4 Arsnl 19 10 4 5 32 20 +12 34
5 Spurs 18 10 3 5 25 19 +6 33
6 ManC 19 9 5 5 35 18 +17 32
7 Lpool 18 8 6 4 2410 +14 30
8 AVilla 18 7 8 3 23 21 +2 29

That's the 2010 league table. Someone above rightly said that teams that finish a season strongly tend to start the next in the same fashion - it's something called form. And we are in good form, having lost 2 league games and 5 in total this year. We have a fully fit squad, which has been boosted from that form so far by the arrival of four players to add depth, plus a recovered Fellaini.

Injuries will occur, but don't forget that of those 19 games above, Arteta missed around 7 or 8, as well as Jagielka missing 5 or 6. The amazing thing is that most of us are agreed that we actually dropped points we shouldn't have in that period, most notably away at Brum, Wolves and Liverpool as well as at home to West Ham. If we are to have a great season, we have to maintain that kind of form - if we are to have a truly amazing season, we must maintain the standards we have now set against the other contenders, as well as grinding out wins in the above games.

Someone asked above why the top 2 are most people's auto choices, well between them, they've won it the last 6 times (3 apiece) - and look at the GD! Still think that stranglehold is there to be broken - can we do it?
David Price
59   Posted 11/08/2010 at 19:01:51

Man Utd to win the league, Fergie retires.
Everton 2nd, Utd chase Moyes.
Chelsea 3rd and win CL. Ancelotti crowned Emperor of Moscow or something.
Liverpool 4th, Hodgson crowned Messiah.
Arsenal 5th, Wenger quits, Gooners chase Moyes,
Man City 6th, Mancini sacked, City chase Moyes,
Spurs 7th, Redknapp quits as Spurs run out of money, Spurs chase Moyes.
Newcastle 8th, Geordies hound out Houghton for not finishing higher and now chase Moyes.

Let the silly season begin.
Mike Green
60   Posted 11/08/2010 at 19:42:53

David Price - you ommited:

Villa 12th - O'Neill resigns, Villa chase Mo...... erm... no thats just happened hasn't it...
Andy Crooks
61   Posted 11/08/2010 at 19:38:48

Joeynko, where have you been lately? The sort of realism you refer to in your post about Blackburn's bruisers has been missed. Ciaran, I agree Arsenal will win the league. In fact they are a centre back away from being a nailed on bet. Is Jags the new Tony Adams? Certainly their pace and distribution from defence is similar. £14 million? Rip Wenger's arm off.
Brian Waring
62   Posted 11/08/2010 at 22:27:29

Arsenal for me to win the league. We have heard on here a few times now that they are weaker than last season. I just don't see it, they have a fully fit Van Persie, and have also added an out and out striker. They are a top class defender away from being by far the best side in the prem.

We finish 6th, and win the FA Cup.
Simon Walker
63   Posted 12/08/2010 at 00:35:27

I couldn't find this already so here goes...

Man U (Fergie announces retirement at end of season)
Everton
Chelsea (getting old and starting to show it by May)
The Shite (Improved consistency but still not much of a bench)
Arsenal (Chamack worries me & Arshavin is due a consistent season)
Man City (unsettled etc, agree with possible managerial changes)
Tottenham (pfff)
Brendan O'Doherty
64   Posted 12/08/2010 at 02:05:21

"£14 million? Rip Wenger's arm off."

I see. So let's sell Jags to Wenger for £14m which will help them win the league. Meanwhile our squad gets disrupted just as the season starts, which affects team morale and results, and means we don't get off to the good start which we all know is what was missing for the previous 2 seasons. Then we end up in 6th/7th/8th again and the same people will be on here moaning that 'Moyes hasn't won anything'.

It beggars belief.
Ron Marr
65   Posted 12/08/2010 at 04:57:01

1. Everton
2. Chelsea
3. Man Utd
4. Arsenal
5. Man City
6. Liverpool
7. Spurs

And my middle finger to Cascarino for saying we'll only finish 4th.

I'm enjoying viewing the world thru my blue tinted shades.

COYB
Brian Lawlor
66   Posted 12/08/2010 at 08:25:30

Brian Waring - do you work in Marketing for a well known FMCG chain?
Andy Crooks
67   Posted 12/08/2010 at 10:56:15

Brendan, Jags is not the answer for Wenger and I don't think he'd pay £14 million for him. I was comparing Jags to Adams because both players are similar in that breakdown their abilities and they don't seem much but the entire package is very effective.

My point is that every player has their price and £14 million for Jags would seem to me to be good business.

Also, Brendan, Europa league or one of the cups would, in my view, represent a good season considering that David Moyes has had so little to spend. I might appear a miserable sod but I don't dislike David Moyes. I just don't believe him to be beyond criticism.

Prabhat Mukherjea
68   Posted 12/08/2010 at 11:44:36

@ Andy Crooks ? What exactly would you do with £14M that replaces Jags adequately? Factor in a) team morale, b) time taken to bed in any replacement c) mentality of the proposed replacement if at all you are thinking of anyone in particular.

I think we have a good side together. Focusing on whether or not it cost a lot of money to assemble is missing the point. It's almost as if some posters here would have been pleased if Gueye cost £13M a la Loic Remy or Joao Silva cost £7.5M a la Man United's "Bebe", because that would somehow indicate that we are progressing and spending money. I sympathize with Wenger when he points out that price is not the same as quality.
Kevin Gillen
69   Posted 12/08/2010 at 12:19:31

It is so sad to see us squabbling about how good Fellaini is or how much we could get for Jagielka. To me these two lads are great players and long may they stay at Everton.

I know Fellaini can be a bit tasty at times but to me he has tremendous skill and I think he more than anyone has the attributes of a Viera or a Keane (who could both be a bit tasty), qualities necessary to be a winner.

Yes £14m is a lot of money for a central defender (assuming they would pay that) but I want Jagielka to be our No 1 centre half for the next five seasons because of his attitude, commitment and athleticism. Sure, some days he can't find a blue shirt for love nor money but he has played some fantastic games for Everton, not least last year at Man City. To me he is better than Terry, Dawson, King and that sicknote Ferdinand.

No way are we going to sell him. I actually think it would be Fellaini rather than Jagielka that would make Arsenal into potential Champions, they lack the muscularity required to grind out fixtures on a cold wet night in Lancashire. No way can I see them winning the title.

Wenger's faith in his young team appears to me to becoming stubbornness. Denilson, Bendtner, Rosiscky all fail to deliver. I did like the look of young Gibbs last night mind. Also to win the league you need the best goalie you can get. Their project is still not right.

Ciarán McGlone
70   Posted 12/08/2010 at 13:09:31

There's not way Moyes will sell jagielka....If it was me - I'd drive him there myself for 14mill...and pick Kompany up on the way back...

Then maybe send a taxi for Bentley with the change..
Prabhat Mukherjea
71   Posted 12/08/2010 at 13:41:06

@ Ciaran- And you would also pay their 80k p/w + wage demands out of said "change"?
David Price
72   Posted 12/08/2010 at 15:37:05

Strange opinion around Jags, is this under cover RS at work here?
In the meantime all England fans outside Merseyside now know what it's like to have a one man team pulling you through when the rest can't hack it. How do Kopites sleep at night hoping SG isn't hit with cruciate, achillesor hamstring problems. Imagine the collapse in them and our national team.
Brendan O'Doherty
73   Posted 12/08/2010 at 15:50:07

Andy - it might seem good business, as was £22m for Lescott, but it would massively disrupt our start to the season. That is not a price worth paying.

Your point about DM 'not being beyond criticism' is becoming tiresome. Of course he's not beyond criticism. No-one is. But don't imply that everyone who is behind him thinks that he is.
Nick West
74   Posted 12/08/2010 at 16:06:07

Here's a little ditty about that lot across the park:

There once was a club called L'pool,
Who thought they were nobody's fool,
But when bought by some yanks,
Who got buggered by banks,
They ended neck-deep in the poo!

Andy Crooks
75   Posted 12/08/2010 at 17:38:43

David Price: no, it's not under cover RS. It''s Evertonians with an open mind.
Wilson Tan
76   Posted 12/08/2010 at 19:01:51

1. Everton
...
...
...
20. Liverpool

Every other position is irrelevant.