Members:   Log In Sign Up

Teamsheet for Blackburn

Ok, so excited now that I'm almost unable to do anything else except consider the new season and check all internet sites to do with Everton every 5 minutes.

Kick-off for us is just over 48 hours away and I really hope it's a better start to the season than last time around. I stupidly watched that Arsenal match with some Gooner friends of mine in the pub. After their 5th goal went in, i was so angry and depressed I simply got up and left without so much as a goodbye or backward glance.

This time I'm hopeful of a better outcome! Blackburn are no mugs though and we can be sure they'll throw a lot of balls into the box and big Sam knows hows to grind out results.

With Cahill injured, I am hoping Moyes has been reading Alan Kirwin's article and lines up 4-2-3-1 like so:

Howard Neville Jagielka Distin Baines Fellaini Rodwell Gueye Arteta Pienaar Saha

Brief justification:

Howard: Obviously
Neville: Gonna play somewhere, right?
Jags: Obviously
Distin: not sure Jonny's fit, plus it's gonna be a physical game
Baines: Obviously
Fellaini: If fit.
Rodwell: Did you watch England U-21?
Gueye: Joker in the pack. Always fun to have a new boy in and I hope he's got a bit of pace...
Arteta: Obviously
Pienaar: Obviously
Saha: Our best striker when fit in my eyes.

I think this team and formation should be more than a match for Blackburn so long as we concentrate and don't concede any silly goals. This team should be able to dominate possesion but also have stature enough to stand up to the inevitable long balls.

However, I have a feeling my wish won't come true. I'm pretty sure Osman will start somewhere and have a horrible feeling he will play Neville in CM.

Either way, can't wait!! COYB!!!
Sam Hoare, London     Posted 12/08/2010 at 13:47:24

Comments

Charlie Percival
1   Posted 12/08/2010 at 14:18:51

I've said the team before but nobody listens:

Neville Jags Distin Baines
Heitinga Arteta
Osman(unlikely Bily) Pienaar
Cahill

Kevin Hudson
2   Posted 12/08/2010 at 14:22:39

Mucha
Coleman Heitinga Jags Baines
Rodwell Fellaini
Cahill Arteta Bily
Beckford
Aidy Dews
3   Posted 12/08/2010 at 14:29:02

Sam your line up looks about right, if the Big Fella is fit to start and I'd like to see that line-up with the fit and available players that we've got.

But I've got a feeling Moyes wont risk starting Felli and will go with Neville in midfield and Hibbo at RB; he won't go with Heitinga in midfield cos he hasn't played a game in pre-season and won't be match fit.

With Cahill being injured, I'd like him to go with either Rodwell or Bily playing off Saha but I've got a feeling Moyes might go with Osman in the centre and maybe play Gueye wide... but then again he might think it's too soon to start Gueye and go with Rodwell in centre and Ossie on right.
Paddy Francis
4   Posted 12/08/2010 at 14:40:13

Neville - Jags - Distin/Heitinga - Baines

Pienaar - Rodwell - Felliani - Arteta

Cahill

Saha

Except for maybe Rodwell for Osman, no doubting that is the team.

Prediction? 3-1 win, Cahill brace, then they pull one back, then Beckford off the bench to seal it late on.
Richie James
5   Posted 12/08/2010 at 14:43:09

We should all be able to predict this side, Moyes very rarely springs any surprises:

Assuming Heitinga and Felliani are not 100% fit, then he'll go with what he knows:

Howard, Neville (c), Baines, Jagielka, Distin, Rodwell, Arteta, Cahill, Pienaar, Osman, Saha subs: Mucha, Yobo, Coleman, Gueye, Bilyaletdinov, Beckford, Felliani
Julian Wait
6   Posted 12/08/2010 at 14:56:25

They all look alright to me. And the key is going to be making the right subs at the right time, whether to hold a lead, go for a win or to try and turn the game around. That's why the lack of talent on the bench has hurt so much on the past.

Game on.
Ciarán McGlone
7   Posted 12/08/2010 at 14:22:46

With no right midfielder we're in a pickle...If Fellaini is fit I'd put Arteta out there..and alow the middle three of Arteta Billy and Pienaar to drift all over the place....

.......................Howard
Hibbert....Jags.....Heitinga...Baines

..............Rodwell.....Fellaini

Arteta..........Billy.................Pienaar
.......................Saha

This for me is the best line up available...unfortunately for our positivity and start..I can see Neville and Osman starting....and things being rather dour...

It's also possible that Moyes could go with a 442 and start the Yak as well...

We set out our stall for the season in this game....I hope to hell Moyes calls it right..
Alex Kociuba
8   Posted 12/08/2010 at 15:08:06

Agree with Ciarán ^
Richie James
9   Posted 12/08/2010 at 15:08:12

Ciarán - do you really think Moyes will jettison the club captain like that? and have you forgotten about Cahill or is he not in your 11 on purpose?
Nick Wall
10   Posted 12/08/2010 at 15:05:19

If Cahill does miss out through injury, I'll be disappointed if Rodwell doesn't start - he's definitely a man in form.

Bily has been playing in all the pre-season games and I expect him to start this one, but if he doesn't hit the ground running Moyes should look to other options.
Anthony Hughes
11   Posted 12/08/2010 at 15:18:45

Providing all are fit i think Moyes will go with

Hibbert-Jagielka-Heitinga-Baines

Fellaini Rodwell

Arteta Cahill Pienaar

Ian Kearney
12   Posted 12/08/2010 at 15:20:49

Putting Arteta anywhere other than CM would be a travesty in my opinion. He's our best player and should take priority, and should never be asked to fill in elsewhere, especially if Felaini isnt fit enough to play, because these two can make us tick, and we need at least one of them in their best position.

I'm praying Neville doesnt play the holding midfield role, he isnt good enough, its as simple as that. If Cahill isnt fit I really hope Rodwell gets the nod, he was exceptional the other night.
David Price
13   Posted 12/08/2010 at 15:27:33

Bugger this fully fit squad bursting with quality, it was much easier this time last year to pick the team. Anyone one of these picks looks good enough to do the job.
Just seen Arteta's interview on sky, makes your heart melt, then see action of Poulson after his move to the RS is confirmed, yes here is running on the pitch as a Juve sub, quality footage.
Ciarán McGlone
14   Posted 12/08/2010 at 15:19:41

---------------

No I don't think he'll drop Neville..that's why I said that Moyes will probably play both him and Osman...Cahill is out cos he's apparently injured...He wouldn't have been in my starting line up anyway...But i've no doubt he'd be in Mr Moyes'
Mike Green
15   Posted 12/08/2010 at 15:39:28

I'm with Ian Kearney - Mikel not in the middle....? Jesus.... why the fuck would you want to do that...?

Neville - Jags - Distin - Baines
Heitinga (Fellaini if fit and put JH in Distin's place)
Bily - Rodwell - Arteta - Pienaar
Saha (replaced by super super Jermaine Beckford to grab the winner)
Alan Clarke
16   Posted 12/08/2010 at 15:47:06

I think Cahill will start. His 'injury' was to stop him having to travel to Australia just before the season kicks off.

Neville Heitinga Jags Baines
Arteta Fellaini
Bily Pienaar
Cahill
Ian Kearney
17   Posted 12/08/2010 at 15:57:42

Alan, I hope you're right, but being off work today I have of course done little with my day and had plenty of time to go on every Everton site, there was a photo on bluekipper of some fans with the players after their Wolfsburg game, and Cahill had a walking stick.
Dave Whitwell
18   Posted 12/08/2010 at 16:00:35

I think this season it will be Cahill or Rodwell in the advanced roll with the 2 holding being picked from Arteta, Heitenga, Neville, Osman, Felliani.

I think the treatment of Rodwell will be similar to Felliani 1st year with us where he is free to go forward, until he is ready for the responsibility of the DM role.
Anthony Fox
19   Posted 12/08/2010 at 16:19:31

Dont be surprised if Cahill somehow makes the starting 11 Lazarus style!!!
Ciarán McGlone
20   Posted 12/08/2010 at 16:35:59

----------

If you're referring to my formation...he is not on the wing per se...he is part of a fluid middle 3 infront of Fellaini and Rodwell...who CAN provide width as and when it is needed....
Jonathan Joseph
21   Posted 12/08/2010 at 16:33:48

If Cahill is really injured.

Hibbert Jags Distin Baines
Arteta Neville
Osman Rodwell Pienaar
Thor Sørensen
22   Posted 12/08/2010 at 16:18:23

Hibbert Jagielka Distin Baines

Neville(c) Arteta
Osman Rodwell Pienaar

Saha

Subs: Mucha, Coleman, Heitinga, Fellaini, Gueye, Anichebe, Yakubu.

Heitinga has just returned and hasn't played a second of pre-season, so I reckon Distin will start. Besides, against a Big Sam team we'll need height, not Heit. (oh, deary me!)

I don't think Moyes will risk start Fellaini either, and both players may come in handy as possible game-changing subs in the second half.

So, either Phil Neville will play DM, or Anichebe will get a start on the right and Rodwell(or Osman) will play deeper, alongside Arteta.

Hopefully Fellaini/Heitinga won't be required at all in this one, and we'll get to se Coleman, Gueye and Anichebe/Yakubu get some playing-time as the game goes on.
Thor Sørensen
23   Posted 12/08/2010 at 16:39:52

Assuming Cahill is injured that is. If not, Neville is out of midfield!
Matthew Tait
24   Posted 12/08/2010 at 16:34:09

Alan's (16) lineup is the correct one in my opinion, injuries permitting - but I suspect Rodwell will start instead of Fellaini based on fitness.

It would be utter madness to take Arteta out of CM...

Cahill will and should start if fit imo. Really can't understand this idea that he shouldn't be in the starting lineup.

RB is a tough one. I would probably select Hibbo on playing ability, but Moyes obviously feels Neville adds so much value as captain that he should start, and I'm in no position to disagree. I think Neville's days at DM are done, now that Rodwell, Fellaini and Heitinga all provide better options there.

We need to keep giving Bily a shot on the wing (right or left), at least for a while. Anichebe will be most useful as an impact sub imo.
Alan Clarke
25   Posted 12/08/2010 at 16:49:11

Ian, it's just more convincing if he walks with a walking stick. The Ozzie FA won't see their arses about it then. He'll be punching that corner flag come Saturday.
Matthew Tait
26   Posted 12/08/2010 at 16:45:27

Ciaran (20) - I understand what you're saying about Arteta being in a fluid attacking midfield three. But I think in our team Arteta is better used in the Xavi role dictating the game, rather than the Iniesta free-roaming playmaker role.

Not because Arteta couldn't play either role, but because no one else in the team can play the deeper Xavi orchestrating role. We need Arteta to keep us tiki-takaing, otherwise we start playing like rubbish.

Look at me... comparing Everton to Spain...!
Dave Southon
27   Posted 12/08/2010 at 16:54:30

Personally speaking I would like to see:

.........................Howard

Neville......Jags...Heitinga....Baines

.................Rodwell....Fellaini

.............Arteta...Bily.....Pienaar

...........................Saha

Only change Bily for Cahill if fit.
Ciarán McGlone
28   Posted 12/08/2010 at 16:48:37

"Cahill will and should start if fit imo. Really can't understand this idea that he shouldn't be in the starting lineup"
------------------

It's pretty simple really...he was awful for most of last season and we've got better players..
Gareth Humphreys
29   Posted 12/08/2010 at 16:46:00

Can't see Cahill, Fellaini or Heitinga playing.

As such i think he will go with:
Hibbert
Jagielka
Distin
Baines
Anichebe
Neville
Arteta
Pienaar
Osman
Yakubu

Leaving a bench of:
Mucha, Coleman, Yobo, Rodwell, Gueye, Saha, Beckford

That leaves the following twiddling their thumbs:
Duffy, Heitinga, Fellaini, Cahill, Bilyaletdinov & Vaughan.

Not a bad squad considering that is not even mentioning the youngsters who we were relying on to make up the numbers this time last year.

Dave Southon
30   Posted 12/08/2010 at 17:01:17

He was awful Ciaran, but so was Bily.
Both can grab you a goal but for this type of game I feel Bily would be more invisible than Tim.
Ciarán McGlone
31   Posted 12/08/2010 at 16:57:29

"Not because Arteta couldn't play either role, but because no one else in the team can play the deeper Xavi orchestrating role. "
------------

I would disagree..I think both Fellaini and Rodwell have proven they can play that role - although i'm still convinced Fellaini is a box to box..... I guess my formation is about getting our best players on the pitch....

But then again...My opinion of who our best players are ..is probably not the same as yours.

Roll on Saturday.

Dennis Stevens
32   Posted 12/08/2010 at 16:54:40

Hibbert Jagielka Distin Baines
Neville
Anichebe Osman Arteta Pienaar
Matthew Tait
33   Posted 12/08/2010 at 16:59:18

Ciaran - I agree Cahill wasn't great for most of last season, but I still think he adds something important to the team (and not just his heading). I expect a rest and preseason will have done him a world of good.

I agree with having a fairly fluid attacking 3 in front of two deeper players, but as I mentioned above I think it's very important that Arteta plays behind that 3, and I think Cahill, Pienaar and Bily is our most dangerous combination in that structure.
Ciarán McGlone
34   Posted 12/08/2010 at 17:08:34

Bily didn't have a good season last year... but I think it's pretty obvious that he's a better all round footballer than Cahill, and excels in Cahill's position..

But I certainly agree with the assertion that Cahill has an undefinable quality that no doubt adds to our performances. The question is whether this is sufficient enough to leave a better player out of the team? Bily is the shoe-in for Cahill's replacement; however, I wouldn't be too unhappy if Cahill replaced Bily in my formation ? because there's enough quality in that midfield already...
Tony Sullivan
35   Posted 12/08/2010 at 17:04:46

O'Neill
Donovan (D)
Tansey
Farrell (C)
Jones T G
Lello
Wainwright
Fielding
Hickson
Parker
Eglington

Subs: Leyland, Moore, McNamara, Grant, Catterick

Should just about avoid relegation. Oops, sorry mind wandering backto circa 1950

Dan McKie
36   Posted 12/08/2010 at 17:16:36

I very much doubt we will see Arteta, Fellaini and Rodwell all on the pitch at the same time. People who are suggesting Arteta goes back out wide to accomodate Rodwell/Fellaini are mental. There will be ample opportunity for the 3 of them to play the 2 positions over the course of the season. I do hope that when we are missing Cahill, that Bily gets a chance to prove himself in his preferred position, like Fellaini did last season.
Nick Entwistle
37   Posted 12/08/2010 at 17:23:33

Ooooh, first post back after my summer hiatus from TW.

Can someoe tell me why we're all sure Moyes will play 4-2-3-1? Other than an article which IMO was flawed, there's been no suggestion of it in pre-season... though I could be mistaken.

I'm expecting the usual 4-5-1 with hopefully Nev at RB instead of Hibbo, JH at CB, And only the absence of Cahill bringing Bily into the starting line up. Rodders or The Big Hair in the middle with Arteta.
Amit Vithlani
38   Posted 12/08/2010 at 17:40:50

I cant see a CB pairing of Johnny and Jags at places like Blackburn, Stoke etc, where either the front men are very strong (Roberts) or balls get pumped in to the box.

Distin needs to have a better game than last season, he was all over the shop.

Pienaar was here in SA on Weds for the game against Ghana and I wonder whether he will start after a long flight back.

I'm going for:

Hibbo Jags Distin Baines
Ossie TBLSWK* Rodwell Nev Bily
Saha

Subs: Anichebe for Ossie or Hibbo, Gueye for Bily and Yak for Saha.

*The Best Little Spaniard We Know.
Andy Crooks
39   Posted 12/08/2010 at 17:51:16

Blackburn will play a physical game which we must combat. This is the eleven to do it:

Neville, Jagielka, Distin, Baines
Coleman, Arteta, Heitinga, Pienaar
Bily
Beckford

Solid at the back and in midfield. 2-0 to Everton.

Jon Ferguson
40   Posted 12/08/2010 at 17:57:32

Coleman, Jagielka, Distin, Baines
Pienaar, Arteta, Heitinga, Gueye
Bily
Yakubu

Mucha, Yobo, Neville, Osman, Fellaini, Cahill, Saha

No point risking Fellaini or Cahill if they are not fully fit, Heitinga will be okay in the side despite missing pre-season and it gives Gueye a chance to bed in with a strong side around him.
Max Main
41   Posted 12/08/2010 at 17:57:11

I'd be very surprised if Fellaini doesn't start. All the quotes and whatnot from the Everton camp have been about Blackburn's aerial attack and set-piece play. I know the big man's just coming back from injury but I think he's too valuable against a team like Blackburn to be left out. For the same reason I wouldn't be surprised of Cahill plays. Haven't been able to find anything concrete about his injury so I'm assuming it's not too bad.

I'm sure come 3pm Saturday I will be proved 100% wrong.
Duncan McDine
42   Posted 12/08/2010 at 17:59:12

Cahill will hopefully be fit, and has to start in his normal role behind Saha. For anyone who doubts his right to be in the starting line-up... shame on you, you know who you are! ;-)

Not sure if Heitinga has enough game time and sharpness to replace Distin at CB. Right back should go to Neville, but Hibbo or Coleman are equal to the task. I seriously doubt the inclusion of Osman in the starting line-up, and hope I'm right... though I still see him as a very good player to have around the squad. Howard has to start in goal.

Neville
Jagielka
Distin
Baines
Rodwell
Arteta
Bily (right)
Pienaar (left)
Cahill

2-1 Everton.
Brian Lawlor
43   Posted 12/08/2010 at 18:17:27

Alan - Cahill wouldn't have had to travel to Australia as they are playing in Slovenia.
Paul Gladwell
44   Posted 12/08/2010 at 18:40:18

Another season and here we go, put Bily in Cahill's place! He was awful because he was pissed about playing out wide for a large part of it. I am sure most Prem managers would love us to drop Cahill, I wonder why?
Ray Robinson
45   Posted 12/08/2010 at 18:55:33

Suggesting a team and trying to guess Moyes's selection are two different things!

Without re-igniting the whole Hibbert debate, I do hope that Moyes does not start with him. We need to have a team that is comfortable on the ball if we are going to make progress this season.

I'm not a big Anichebe fan either but I do concede that he played well at Blackburn last year, adding height and presence to the side that has to compete physically with Blackburn. I somehow think that Yobo may have a part to play too for the same reason.
John McLoughlin
46   Posted 12/08/2010 at 19:03:31

Hibbert
Baines
Jagielka
Distin
Neville
Arteta
Cahill (Rodwell if unfit)
Pienaar
Anichibe
Saha

Not the team i'd pick but what i expect
Ben Jones
47   Posted 12/08/2010 at 19:26:22

I'd probably pick this team providing Heitinga and Cahill are unavailable:

Hibbert Jagielka Distin Baines
Fellaini Rodwell
Arteta
Anichebe Pienaar
Saha

Anichebe will defo play because of the physicality of Allardyce's sides. I just hope Ossie or Neville don't play, as we have better players.
Dennis Sequerah
48   Posted 12/08/2010 at 19:41:18

Being very conservative by assuming Felli, Cahill and Heitinga are unavailable to start , I reckon we'll start with the familiar and safe:

Hibbert
Jags
Distin
Baines
Neville
Rodwell
Arteta
Billy
Pienaar
Saha

With Rodders playing off the frontman..and arteta right smack in the middle. Anichebe will probably have some part to play as a sub... and so will Beckford and Coleman as impact players. Think having Neville in DM won't be bad at all due to his organizational skills and reading of the game.
Iain Smith
49   Posted 12/08/2010 at 20:43:17

Is Heitinga going to play?
Karl Graham
50   Posted 12/08/2010 at 21:22:04

Neville-Jagielka-Distin-Baines
Fellaini>
Bilyaletdinov-Arteta-Pienaar
Cahill

Subs: Mucha, Hibbert, Heitinga, Rodwell, Osman, Gueye, Beckford

That's what I expect him to pick but personally I'd have Hibbert and Heitinga in for Neville and Distin.
Gerry Western
51   Posted 12/08/2010 at 21:36:49

Neville
Jagielka
Distin
Baines
Fellaini
Hetinga
Coleman
Arteta
Pienaar

Assuming Cahill's injured of course
Tony J Williams
52   Posted 12/08/2010 at 22:45:02

I would start with Hibbert upfront to confuse Blackburn and so we could riot if he scored.
Dennis Stevens
53   Posted 12/08/2010 at 23:14:50

Good point, Tony - they do say you should defend from the front!
Dick Fearon
54   Posted 12/08/2010 at 23:30:58

Opening game of the season, expect a no holds barred kitchen sink from big Sams team. We need gutter fighters to match their physicality. Cahill's the man.

Lots of high balls into our box, defensive headers at a premium. Cahill's the man.

Bravery in the attacking third. Cahill again.

For this particular game when the going gets tough, as it inevitably will, we cannot afford fancy dans.

Moyes has already noted that we can be too pretty. I sincerely hope we kick off with a Dogs of War attitude. There will be games against good footballing sides where our 'pretty boys' can do their stuff.

Ernie Baywood
55   Posted 13/08/2010 at 00:05:48

I don't think we try to match them physically at all. That brings us down to their level. Get the ball down, pass it round, take the wind out of their sails.

I'd like to see a team of good footballers:

Neville Heitinga Jags Baines
Bily Arteta Fellaini Rodwell Pienaar
Saha

I only say Neville over Coleman because I think young Seamus needs a slower intro - as confident as he is he is still prone to mistakes. Play him against the weaker teams at home to build some momentum. That said, he clearly allows Bily to play in something closer to his real position.

I think we'll get from Moyes:

Hibbert Distin Jagielka Baines
Bily/Osman Arteta Neville Cahill Pienaar
Saha

Too soon for Heitinga. Too soon for Felli. Rodwell on the pitch bang on 60 mins or as Cahill's replacement. Moyes will play it very safe to avoid some sort of implosion that ruins the start of our season.

To be honest... I'm happy enough with that side to start with.
Afzan Yusuf
56   Posted 13/08/2010 at 02:00:25

"Don't concede any silly goals"
--------------------------------------
Jag... if you read this, please take notice. Keep the own goal coming only next year, not the first game ehh...
COYB!!!
Jason Lam
57   Posted 13/08/2010 at 03:39:12

Blackburn will play a typical physically game:

Hibbo Jags Distin Baines
Anichebe Arteta Heitinga Pienaar
Cahill
Beckford

Subs: Rodders, Saha, Yak, Pip, Mucha, Ossie, Bily

Brendan O'Doherty
58   Posted 13/08/2010 at 19:08:15

Back to the usual Cahill bashing is it, before a ball is even kicked?

He ain't gonna be dropped so get used to it.

Helen Nelson
59   Posted 14/08/2010 at 00:45:55

We have a fully fit squad for the game against Blackburn, which gives Moyes a lot of options.

My starting line up would be:

Neville Jags Distin Baines