Fight, Fight, Fight!

As we start the season tomorrow, I find myself not being able to work or think about anything else and I can't stop thinking about going to Stamford Bridge on the last day taking 3 points needed to win the league. Regardless if this is being over optimistic there is a good reason for it.

As a 30-year-old fan, I have not knowingly experienced this optimism and excitement before. I have even been on to other fansites to see what they are all saying about us and as expected Liverpool, Spurs and Man City are all belittling our club and chances. Well fuck them and let's stick it right up where the sun don?t shine.

Let's all of us get that siege mentality for the next 9 months, support our team like never before and help them on to something special.

There is no more together settled and happy squad in the league as Everton's and to our players, all I ask is that you FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT ON THE BANKS OF THE ROYAL BLUE MERSEY! And who knows where we will be come May...

Good Luck to each and everyone of us!
James Cadwaladr, Chester     Posted 13/08/2010 at 13:46:59

Comments

Robert Moore
1   Posted 13/08/2010 at 14:05:30

Well said, James. I agree 100% ? let's shout and roar like never before, we are all in this together one big family.

COYB ? Let them have it!!

Paddy Gillen
2   Posted 13/08/2010 at 14:11:47

Isn't the final game against Chelsea at Goodison?
James Cadwaladr
3   Posted 13/08/2010 at 14:23:46

Sorry, indeed it is. I could have sworn it was away. Makes the run in better. COYB.
Dennis Stevens
4   Posted 13/08/2010 at 14:26:51

Wouldn't that be sweet ? Chelsea turning up with the trophy, needing to beat us to save themselves from having to leave it at Goodison Park for the next 12 months?
Tony I'Anson
5   Posted 13/08/2010 at 14:37:28

Just been watching Sky and Sir Alex and 'Arry were both talking about the strength of Everton. 'Arry was even saying he wants to win the title and has to believe that.

Then Sky did an A to G to vote for who you think will win the title. We weren't even in the mention. Stuff them.
Jefferson Gard
6   Posted 13/08/2010 at 14:46:30

Tony, maybe we were going to be H; if you think that's bad, the Express tips us to be 9th behind Birmingham!
David Price
7   Posted 13/08/2010 at 15:25:53

Yeah so much for our own top 7 article earlier, Sky are a reactionary sports channel. They feed on the past league standings and have no proactive intuitions when assessing a future performance. Plus not as biased as us either when it comes to Everton.

Tony Cass to take over from Richard Keys, that's what iI say!!

Tony I'Anson
8   Posted 13/08/2010 at 15:45:48

If any non-gamblers out there fancy a bet for us to win the League, try PaddyPower.com

If you register for the first time, you get a free matched bet up to £50. I only got 80/1 for us to win the league, and I put £10 on it. Possibly win £810. Then I was offered a free £10 bet. Now I have the chance of winning another £800. So effectively does that mean I've got Everton to win at 160/1 ?

Shit, I should have put £50 on it.
Ciarán McGlone
9   Posted 13/08/2010 at 16:14:08

No Tony, It means you would've had two seperate bets at 80/1..

I never bet Everton..it's one of my 'things'..like pre-match ritual. Ever since I did myself out of a quad and put the scud on Everton about 10 years ago.

However, 80/1 sounds ridiculously short to me....
Jay Harris
10   Posted 13/08/2010 at 16:46:46

The most ridiculous thing is Sky have now invented the "Sky 7" instaed of the top 4.

Needless to say we were not included but managerless Villa were and Lottery winners City were being talked up.

Well I hope they sit up and take notice of us this year.
Jamie Tulacz
11   Posted 13/08/2010 at 16:52:33

Happy for us to come in under the radar as always ? means less pressure on us again.

I'm more nervous than usual about this season, as I think we have our best squad in a while, and don't have the injury problems of previous seasons. Some good signings by Moyes on a zero budget, and some great contract news over the last few weeks.

Just hope we don't fuck it up!!
Rob Lyons
12   Posted 13/08/2010 at 17:00:24

I cannot help but feel worried... maybe it's the Everton Way but we have a great team this year, more importantly, a great squad and little injuries. But this is US were talking about; when do we ever do well or look like winning the league? It's hard to put any money on us at 80/1 or 800/1 because it just wont happen!!

Now I want us to win everything, there is nothing I would love to see more... but realism is better than dreaming, that way you don't get disappointed. Hope to god we don't lose tomorrow and everyone starts moaning straight away like start of last year!!

COYB and James good post and good to see you on here, thanks for the rugger ticket by the way!

Tony I'Anson
13   Posted 13/08/2010 at 17:03:52

Thanks Ciarán. I think their short odds are to offset the free bet. Can't wait to pick up my £1620 next May for my £10 stake though.

I know what you mean about betting on Everton. I'm the same on a game by game basis but I couldn't resist this one with all the stars aligned in the Blue Sky above.
Alan Kirwin
14   Posted 13/08/2010 at 17:07:14

I don't really watch Sky, there's something intrinsically chav & footballers' wives about it. And Murdoch is a twat.

But purely from a journalistic perspective, to talk of a Sky 7, when Everton were but a point or two away from 7th & 6h, but 11 points clear of 9th is just preposterous. Watching too much Sky is, in my view, bad for your mental health because so much of it starts with the bleedin obvious and then converts it into self-serving and self-fulfiling shit.

If, as an alternative, one were to consider the views of eminently respected football people and pundits, like SAF, Wenger, Henry Winter in The Telegraph, Paddy Barclay in the Times and others, one gets a wholly different view of the game. In all these circles, Everton, not surprisingly, are being talked up.

I suggest the fuckwits who write the scripts at Sky study just last season's table and it's subtext, which included 2 defeats in 24 for a certain team who also beat or had the beating of the 7 teams above them.

Fuck Sky. We may not be media darlings, but we are the most beautiful and purest of babes amongst a bevy of bloated over-exposed dog-tarts (Arsenal excepted).
Paddy Francis
15   Posted 13/08/2010 at 17:39:31

It's good to hope and pray that Everton will win the league. We can all dream.

It's stupidity to bet on it.

Stewart Littler
16   Posted 13/08/2010 at 18:10:19

Bet you'd have said that to anyone who won a scoop betting on the 100/1 Grand National winner a coupla years back too, Paddy. Come back and tell us that if the remarkable happens (big if, but certainly not impossible).
Charlie Percival
17   Posted 13/08/2010 at 18:17:34

Agreed Paddy (14). 4th is possible at a push if we have a very good season, not 1st.

We can't just go from a team battling relegation (albeit with injuries) to a team that can take the Prem the following season. We will crack up under pressure if we are top for a prolonged period, but it will be beneficial in the following seasons as that experience will take us forward. Aim for first, we will finish 4th/5th.
David Crowe
18   Posted 13/08/2010 at 18:38:33

Personally, I'm absolutely delighted we're being forgotten and love it when Everton prove the 'experts' wrong. If we were being strongly linked with the top 4 or the title I have to admit I'd be worried. This year is our best chance for fourth but I believe we'll come 5th or possibly 6th just because there's so much competition.
Andy Crooks
19   Posted 13/08/2010 at 18:42:58

Evertonians shouldn't bet on Everton ? this is the voice of a man with an empty wallet.
Brendan O'Doherty
20   Posted 13/08/2010 at 19:21:45

Tony

I did the same bet as you 2 weeks ago, and got 200/1,plus a free bet. I think the odds are tumbling because people (us?) are backing us in increasing numbers. I stuck my free bet on us to finish in the top 4, by the way, at 13/2.

I saw the SSN poll being announced and was all ready to vote, and then they completely excluded us from the 7 contenders. What bunch of wasters.

Tony I'Anson
21   Posted 13/08/2010 at 20:48:35

Alan, I couldn't agree more. But for the vast majority of "floating voters" they believe all the Sky spin, and have the voting power with their middle class incomes to buy tickets to matches and all accessories that go with it ? kits, school bags, dog collars, duvet covers etc that generate revenue for the media darlings.

Charlie, check the almost identical stats from 83/84 with 09/10. No one saw us coming then, including fans as we never had forums like this to convince ourselves. I'm currently £100 down, soon to be £15,000 richer next May.

Can't wait for Andy Gray telling us how big an Everton fan he's always been. I reckon he didn't ever forgive Kendall for buying Gary Lineker the day after he bought a new house in Southport and told him he was surplus to requirements.
Tony I'Anson
22   Posted 13/08/2010 at 21:00:46

Paddy (15) my wife says my stupid for even watching football at all. God knows what she would say if she knew I've bet money on Everton to win the league, especially when there is a L'Occitane special offer currently running on QVC!!! (Although they do happen to do a nice line in men's shaving cream, but it's bloody a bit expensive.)
Tony I'Anson
23   Posted 13/08/2010 at 21:11:15

Brendan(20), if 1000 Evertonians win £10k + any ideas what we could collectively do with the cash?
David Price
24   Posted 13/08/2010 at 21:26:13

Can't remember expecting Everton to ever win a league title. I was always content if we had a good side that was ready to do battle and compete then let the league positions sort themselves out.

Have we a good side now ready to battle and compete? Too right we have, the players circle of influence is to take this fight as far as it can go. Our remit is to back the boys all the way. I don't think for a second either will let the club down.
COYB...

Steve Pugh
25   Posted 13/08/2010 at 22:41:39

I am hoping (or is it dreaming) that we will be top of the league at Christmas, and still Sky and the Beeb are ignoring us.

After all, we were largely ignored in '85...
Ian McDowell
26   Posted 13/08/2010 at 22:46:33

To be honest, the one player we are missing to win the league is a certain Wayne Rooney.

As much as I hate to say it, if we had him with his passion, work-rate and goals, I firmly believe we would be competing for the league this year.
Karl Masters
27   Posted 13/08/2010 at 22:53:53

Well, one thing is for certain: If we don't believe in ourselves, nobody else will! I hope Moyesie has got those boys pumped up and ready to go.

But it's worth remembering the early games don't always mean a lot. In 1984-85 we lost the first 2 matches and didn't hit top form till October and top place till early November, so should tomorrow not go to plan at Ewood Park, don't get on here moaning please!
Brian Foley
28   Posted 13/08/2010 at 22:48:25

Andy (19), quite right. I often bet L/pool away on a couple of correct scores just to put the mockers on 'em. If it doesn't work and they win I hope it's by one of my scores. A truly bitter sweet bet but I love the anticipation.

By the way, all you lads betting on us to win the league, you'd be better off putting your money on the handicap list at 15/1 'cos if you are right and we win the league or come anywhere near the top 4 or (5 or 6) then by definition any bet on the handicap list should simply skate in.

Blackburn 1 Everton 3 ? don't bet on it though.

All the best guys, COYMIGHTYB
Iain Love
29   Posted 13/08/2010 at 22:47:13

The odds are getting shorter because all the people who know about football (not just Everton fans) think "Fuck me, that's silly odds for Everton and worth a flutter." I went to a Bet 888 thing at Chelski and bet on an England draw against USA, they looked at me as if I was stupid. All because the media where saying England for a 3-0 win. On anything else, the bookies are usually spot on... but when it's an emotive subject and lots of people bet, those people can change the odds.

Anyway, back to James's point... yes I agree, let's turn Goodison into an even more imposing fortress, along the lines of some of those Turkish grounds ? fuck, they're scary.

As for the other fansites, if they are talking about us the're obviously scared. Funny, I don't really see that much about other teams on here, I don't fear ANY team this year, whereas I never fancied us before against the top 3.

Alex Nikas
30   Posted 13/08/2010 at 23:41:57

I'm fucking raring to go.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

COYB
John Daley
31   Posted 14/08/2010 at 00:02:48

Nice call to arms, James.

I think we could be in with a genuine chance of surprising a lot of people this season but I can't allow myself to become overly optimistic I'm afraid. The many years of supporting Everton have taught me it's best to proceed with extreme caution because a crunching kick in the cock is usually just around the corner.

We really need to get off to a good start this year and I feel the early home game against United is going to be a good barometer of whether or not we can realistically mount a challenge for the Champions League places. If we can turn them over at Goodison again, and show that the result last season was not just a one-off, then I might just dare to start dreaming again.
James Stewart
32   Posted 14/08/2010 at 00:52:14

Hear, hear.

I will stick my neck out and say I am confident we will finish top 4 this season.
Andy Peers
33   Posted 14/08/2010 at 01:16:51

I am so apprehensive about our team line-up. I want us to win so badly but fear that we may not start our best 11. If we need to start fast and furious and hit the ground running and all the other cliches then three of our most loyal players should not be in the starting line-up ? and I fear all three might be...

I presume everybody knows the three I'm talking about...

Liu Weixian
34   Posted 14/08/2010 at 06:21:43

The shite journalists we have in Singapore are not even talking about Everton much and most of them even say we are only good for a draw at Blackburn tonight.

So fuck them and let's get a win!
James Crolla
35   Posted 14/08/2010 at 06:45:37

I was going to bet on the Premier League handicap. A week ago, you could get 15-1 on Everton with a -24 point handicap (both Coral and Ladbrokes). It is now 12-1 whilst everyone is still 15-1 and Coral have stopped taking bets on Everton (the only team you cannot bet on)! Lots of money has gone on Everton me thinks............

I didn't have the time to place my bet last week so I am gutted!
Dean Adams
36   Posted 14/08/2010 at 13:48:54

How does the handicap work? What does the 24 point handicap actually mean, anyone?
Brendan O'Doherty
37   Posted 14/08/2010 at 14:51:38

Dean, put simply, you add 24 to your season's total and see if it would have won you the title.

But you have to add every other team's handicap up as well to get the outcome.
Dean Ryan
38   Posted 15/08/2010 at 18:58:20

Happy New Season!

May Goodison be a fortress and the Pink points be plentiful!

COYB!