Everton's bid for Sporting's Izmailov

The 27-year-old is supposedly meant to be injury prone which is his status at the moment; however he is also a winger who pulls the strings. He had a falling out with Sporting directors and coach and has said that he wants to leave. Manchester City bid £10 million for him at some point and due to Sporting's financial problems, we could get him at a cut price. It would be great to have a player who pulls the strings on the wing and is meant to be a great player when fit.
Jayden Pileggi, Australia     Posted 16/08/2010 at 14:32:27

Comments

Brendan O'Doherty
1   Posted 16/08/2010 at 17:05:20

27 yr old
injury prone
fallen out with club
winger
cut price

Remind you of anyone?

The beers are on you Shandy
Sean McKenna
2   Posted 16/08/2010 at 17:51:23

31, injury-prone, fights with his shadow, fights with managers, hits club players with golf clubs....

Good winger cum striker with pace... Yes, Mr Bellamy. Most talented players have huge egos. We have to take a chance at some point and for £4 million he's definitely worth a punt. He can't be any worse than goody Osman, could he?

Robert Pierpoint
3   Posted 16/08/2010 at 18:03:11

Intuition tells me that this could be paper talk.... a right midfielder with pace would be a good move for us, but am I the only perso who is more worried about our striking options??

Saha- Struggles to find any middle ground between sublime or anonymous. As other posters have suggested he can sometimes be left to chase or battle in the air for lost causes and scraps but are his best days behind him at top end premiership level?

Yakubu- Best days are surely behind him at this level. Still could be useful, but lacks mobility power and pace for our system?

Beckford: Willing him to succeed, but dont believe he can be the answer

Vaughan: As Beckford

Anichebe: Dark horse?? In our position would not beconsidering bids on Victor unless we are bringing somebody new in- could have the ability to succeed as he matures..

Gueye/Silva: Not the answer in the short/medium term.

To battle for Europe, surely it is up front that has to be the priority
Kevin Hudson
4   Posted 16/08/2010 at 17:43:10

On account of my bird being Russian, I've taken an interest in "Rossijskij Futbol," but can't say that I'm a huge fan of Marat.I also think £4million's a bit steep for a player with glass knees.

He was a big prospect when he first came through,and although he does have talent,he perhaps hasn't lived up to early expectations.

Essentially then,the perfect Davey Moyes signing. A bit of guidance,an arm around the shoulder,he MAY still blossom. With a fellow Tatar in the ranks,I think that would work well for both,and potentially,all concerned.
David Crowe
5   Posted 16/08/2010 at 18:36:54

Unfortunately Robert, Victor definitely isn't a dark horse and I'd snap Newcastle's hand off for anything over 3.5m
Dick Anderson
6   Posted 16/08/2010 at 19:57:48

Both Anichebe and Vaughan are destined for careers in the lower leagues anyway so why prolong it?

Personally I would offload both of them and start devoting more time to the likes of Silva, Gueye, Baxter and Hallam Hope.
Richard Reeves
7   Posted 16/08/2010 at 20:07:22

His age and injury record is a concern. It's funny because when a foreign player who I don't know much about is linked to Everton and that player is below the age of 23, I tend to hope the club signs him but with older players, like this 27-year-old Izmailov, I don't get too bothered about yet he could be perfect for us for all I know.

Some people are worried about our striking options but It's early days and I think Saha and Beckford will be alright and I'm thinking that Moyes will sell Yakubu and bring in another striker. I agree with David and Dick in that I too would offload Anichebe and I hate to say It because I always thought he had something but I would get rid of Vaughan. It's just not going to happen for him at Everton so he needs a chance somewhere else.

I'm hoping Gueye can become a goalscoring midfielder, maybe even winger because I don't think he was bought with the intention of being a striker... but who knows? Thierry Henry started on the wing for Arsenal and the rest is history. Anichebe and Vaughan have had their time and it hasn't quite worked for whatever reason so I would give Silva and Baxter a chance and see what they can do.

Wayne Smyth
8   Posted 16/08/2010 at 20:45:42

Nothing wrong with our strikers, saha and yak are both good enough to help the club into a top 4 finish, and beckford may well be too.

The problem is our midfield is usually 40 yards behind whoever is playing up front and our striker looks crap because they are starved of quality service.

I dont actually recall any real chances that saha or beckford were provided with on saturday. A winger with pace is the most pressing need for the squad, since we dont actually have any wingers at all, never mind one who is quick. That said, I'm not convinced that Izmailov is the man.
David Hallwood
9   Posted 16/08/2010 at 21:25:29

To quote the old saying, it ain't rocket science. I'm currently watching Man U dismantle Newcastle, and what have they got that we haven't? pace down both flanks, that stretches the opposition and Fletcher & Scholes (who's having a blinder) join in the attack. Simples
Carl Moulton
10   Posted 16/08/2010 at 21:42:50

to be honest with you David I think we would dismantle this Newcastle side, they look like they will do well to stay up. How about Baines and pienaar down the left and coleman and arteta down the right with fellaini rodwell and cahill in the middle
David Hallwood
11   Posted 16/08/2010 at 21:53:01

I take your point Carl, but I still think that pace down the flanks is the key to the mythical next step
Jay Harris
12   Posted 16/08/2010 at 21:54:00

Wayne Smith
absolutely spot on.

Everton are a graveyard for strikers especially if our only supply is Jags hoofing 50 yard passes up in the air to one lonely figure up front.

MF needs to start looking for the ball more as we did for the second half of last season..

Arteta seems to still be at his wedding ceremony and a half fit Felli seems to be the only one interested.

Carl Moulton
13   Posted 16/08/2010 at 21:56:57

Yeah, so close to having a great side but yet so far, if we just had the funds to bring Donovan back and a decent striker.. Oh well, still think we will make the top six and win a cup!! COYB
Ian McDowell
14   Posted 16/08/2010 at 22:15:49

Yeah agree with Wayne, people Saha looked half interested v Blackburn but he was getting 50 yard balls played to him and there wasn't a Everton player for 20 yards near him. If we play that way Cahill should never be 10 yards from Saha for support.
David Price
15   Posted 16/08/2010 at 22:28:48

Agree Ian, quick ball to Saha with Cahill on his shirt tail. Often see Saha go to make a run but no-one sees it. Heitinga hits a good ball rather than a aimless punt. Fellaini will be back on track and needs to get in the last third to support. We've got the players, it will come good.
David Hallwood
16   Posted 16/08/2010 at 22:55:19

The trouble with Saha that he's look disinterested since he signed the contract in January.
Anthony Hughes
17   Posted 17/08/2010 at 09:16:15

Agree, David, he's also 32 now and with his injury record he isn't going to get any better ? if anything, he may be on the slide.
Mike Allison
18   Posted 17/08/2010 at 10:29:33

Strikers look like they're not good enough when the service isn't good enough. They look brilliant when the service is brilliant. Our strikers are fine, we need to improve the creative midfield/support for them. A good right winger is the missing piece in our current puzzle.
Ernie Baywood
19   Posted 18/08/2010 at 01:17:30

£3.5 mil for Anichebe? I think he is and will be better than that.

The first thing that stuck out about this right winger is that he is described as being able to play right or centre mid. Hopefully he's not another one who is selected in a wide position that they can't actually play in.