Pienaar: Greed Or Value?

"Pienaar neglected to comment on what aspect was stalling the deal, but wages could be the obstacle..."

You don't say?

So negotiations appear then to be coming to a successful conclusion regarding the Bafana boy. I don't dislike this player, but I think his ego is larger than his talent. I wouldn't dwell too much if he left, as at 28 he'll soon be on the slide. Maybe others feel differently.

But set against the backdrop of a stricken L4, it's his comment about "wanting what's right," alongside the cliched, tokenistic and in my opinion, wholly disingenuous & patronising nod to the supporters, that annoyed me. Exactly what has he done to earn top whack?

Not seeking brick-bats ? I think he's a decent player. Just want to know if ToffeeWebbers think he's indispensable, and therefore worth every penny...
Kevin Hudson, Stoneycroft     Posted 19/08/2010 at 14:59:24

Comments

Michael Kenrick
1   Posted 19/08/2010 at 16:01:10

Another topic that's been done to death but simply will not go away... What a ridiculous non-statement from the player today. "I want what's right"... absolute bollocks!
Karl Masters
2   Posted 19/08/2010 at 16:03:26

One thing that occurred to me is that maybe it's not a question of how much, but maybe how long bthe contract s for.

Arteta gets 5 years to take him to 33, Cahill got 5 year to take him to 35 and Rodwell got 5 years as well. If Everton have offered, say 3 years taking Pienaar to age 31, when it would be harder to negotiate a good deal at Everton or elsewhere, maybe that's the issue?

However, as Michael infers, I too just want the whole bloody thing sorted out one way or the other!
Jason Broome
3   Posted 19/08/2010 at 16:10:39

Maybe it's not about the money. Maybe it's about the length of the contract.

If he wants a 5 year deal to ensure his security and loyalty to Everton, how is that a bad thing?

All he said was "I want what's right." That doesn't make him greedy!
Chris Fisher
4   Posted 19/08/2010 at 16:15:26

I don't get it what's wrong with him saying he wants "what's right"? We don't know what the club is offering him, do we? It will probably be his last big contract so it's got to be right for him because in a couple of years he's not going to get the security of a 4-year contract, is he? So he wants "what's right"! I'll only think bad of him if the club has offered him high wages and he's asked for what Arteta is on because that boy has been here longer and earned that contract.
Matthew Williams
5   Posted 19/08/2010 at 16:16:00

I think it might be the length as well, Pienaar is as a vital cog in the blue machine on the same level as Arteta in my view so if he is being offered 2 or 3 years or less money then he might quite right to question his future here.

There have been some rumours that we were only ever going to keep one of them(Arteta or Pienaar) as we dont have the funds to pay both the same type of wages on long contracts.

I hope this isn`t true but as each day passes without him signing I do start to think along those lines.
Joeynkoo Ludden
6   Posted 19/08/2010 at 16:20:35

Is it me, or does Osman score more than Pienaar?
Antony Matthews
7   Posted 19/08/2010 at 16:13:53

Give him what he wants but ONLY if he scores a hat trick against the shite . Seriously he needs to score more goals first.
Shaun Brennan
8   Posted 19/08/2010 at 16:27:36

he's not indispensable.

since However his options have seriously dwindled since a poor world cup no show, too much hype and the team just didn't deliver. It now looks like he's had to break his silence or make a complete u-turn in an attempt to open up negotiations again.

If Piennar wants what is right. He should look at getting rid of that gobby agent of his. How could you have faith in someone who deals with your business if they are always making nonsense comments etc...
Duncan McDine
9   Posted 19/08/2010 at 16:31:36

Joeynkoo - maybe.... but is it me, or is Osman shit in comparison?
Matthew Williams
10   Posted 19/08/2010 at 16:48:39

haha nice one Duncan. I do like Osman though I must say.
Ciarán McGlone
11   Posted 19/08/2010 at 16:52:13

I am in complete agreement with every single word of your article Mr Hudson. Get out the bunting!

Pienaar's evaluation of himself appears to be rather deluded. A couple of inconsistent seasons and then half a season of decent football -and he thinks he's the dog's balls.
Steve Pugh
12   Posted 19/08/2010 at 16:51:50

Without knowing the exact contract that he has been offered all that we can do is guess. Personally I think that, if we can afford it, we offer him a 5 year deal on the same money as Arteta. If he turns that down then he is greedy.

I believe that this is a fair wage for him, Arteta is worth more.
Joeynkoo Ludden
13   Posted 19/08/2010 at 16:54:35

Duncan (8) - yep its you. While I think Osman is close to dire, I have never been convinced that Pienaar adds anything more to our side that Osman does. Examples of games that Pienaar has had by the scruff of the neck would help change my opinion.
joseph Hand
14   Posted 19/08/2010 at 16:57:55

i think its time to move him along, he is certaintly not indespensible.

its been blatantly obvious to me for a long time , especially after the blackburn game that everton will never be able to take their play onto an other level without pace not just on the right wing but on the left wing too.

we are perfectly fine in the centre of midfield with 2 players for each position. youve got fellani holding and rodwell as back up. arteta centre mid with osman as back up. cahill in the hole with billy as back up. why not sell pienar for 15 mil and buy to pacy players like donavan and nzogbia for both wings

that would take our play onto the next level
Drew Glenister
15   Posted 19/08/2010 at 16:57:10

Joeynkoo-I'm sure it's you who scores more than the other two.

Whether Pienaar is worth as much as Arteta in his own right I'm not sure but few can argue that attempts to replace him at left mid last season were unsuccessful and affected team play as a whole.

We were at our best attacking down the left with Baines and Pienaar, which before Arteta's return, was our only option in open play.

This seems to have been quickly forgotten in the hysteria of Arteta's return but I for one am keen for us to have as many offensive options as possible lest we return to hoofball.
Anthony Fox
16   Posted 19/08/2010 at 17:11:49

Why dont Everton say they have offered him x y z and let the fans decide what the think is right?? If he is one of the top players (which I think he is) and he got player of the season last year then maybe he deserves a decent contract. You cant have people like Yak not getting a game sitting on his arse earning more money on the back of a 5 year deal!!! It sends the wrong message out. You can be the best player at the club but big money signings will always earn more!
Gavin Ramejkis
17   Posted 19/08/2010 at 17:06:33

Joseph, who would then cover the Pienaar shaped hole on the left wing in front of Baines?
Kunal Desai
18   Posted 19/08/2010 at 17:26:59

What a greedy little fucker. He was nothing before Moyes picked him up from Dortmond. If the fucking little doesn't want to accept the deal being offered then he can get lost. Better to get anything for him than loose him for nothing next year.
Lyndon Lloyd
19   Posted 19/08/2010 at 17:29:29

I can't believe I just read that. The undisputed Player of the Season for 2009/10, valued at around £15m, who creates goals, is constantly in motion, plays one-twos down the left with aplomb, links up brilliantly with his full-back, often tracks back and tackles superbly, pulls off neat back-heels to set up goals for the likes of Cahill and Arteta adds nothing more than Leon Osman? Seriously?!

Is he indispensable? No, no player is, but I wrote a few months back that he's about as indispensable as we have at Everton. People's attitude towards him is souring because of this contract impasse but don't let it cloud what he brings to the team ? we would be considerably worse off without him, as results showed last season while he was out injured.
Eugene Ruane
20   Posted 19/08/2010 at 16:57:30

I like him as a player.

The way he'll give-it-and-go seems second nature (as oppose to others who give it and.. stand there like a fucking big henge made from stone).

You rarely hear "move yer arse Pienaar yer lazy little twat" and his control is generally good.

But as a person, I get the feeling he's a bit....(how can I put this?)..........thick.

That's absolutely fine of course, no reason why he should be a genius.

The problem comes however when football's 'not very intelligencia' are 'obliged' to work with the greedy and manipulative.

Or agents as they're called.

SURELY this relationship is just....wrong.

I mean it's a like allowing a child who has inherited millions to have Bilko as his financial advisor.

Makes me think there could/should be a new role in football.

A kind of go-between, between the player and the agent (wages paid to the PL from a levy on the greedy-arse agents fee!).

I think the PL should appoint a few of them.

Someone to be at every meeting between player and agent.

I can see it on Sky - "Reg Twatt the Premier League's Player-Agent liason officer said today 'the amount being asked by Mr Pienaar's agent was not realistic given Everton's finances'. He added 'There have been no bids for the player, Everton's offer is more than fair for a player of his age, I have advised the player to accept the deal'"

Any interference by the agent after? -Struck off! (or...whatever happens).

(a bit like that board who decide transfer fees).

Unworkable?

Probably, but I can't help thinking that most players are sitting ducks for the Private Walkers' of the football world and 'something' needs to be done.
Liam Reilly
21   Posted 19/08/2010 at 17:49:25

This deal would effectively be his last major deal as a footballer and he wants what he believes the 'Player of the Season' should expect.

He won'tshoudn't get what Arteta is getting, but there's nothing wrong with his logic.
Andrew Flanagan
22   Posted 19/08/2010 at 17:55:44

He was brought up in abject poverty on a township in South Africa. I for one do not grudge him looking for the best possible deal he can get. If he is doesn't want to accept the offer on the table then it's his right just like any of us have in our own jobs.

I would play for Everton for free like most people on here but I think people forget that footballers are employees at the end of the day.
Andrew Heaton
23   Posted 19/08/2010 at 18:11:50

I want what is right every day when im going to work in the drizzle for just over £235 for 40 hrs work per week!! fucking tosser!
Andrew Mackenzie
24   Posted 19/08/2010 at 18:11:07

Value - we're not getting anyone to replace him at this stage and we will get nothing for him as he will go on a bosman next season. Whatever he gets from Everton as most say, will be his last major deal and he probably just wants his share of what he sees others getting and he would probably get more elsewhere. The club, player and agent are probably at the 'face saving' stage of negotiations.

From a football perspective he adds value to the team.
Steve Taylor
25   Posted 19/08/2010 at 18:07:08

Steven Pienaar: What about what's right for the club?

It was Everton that plucked you from relative obscurity, from a club where you were not happy. Everton that stood by you in your times of well publicised personal problems.

If you had had the kind of World Cup campaign that you and your agent thought you were going to have, fair enough. But you didn't, and it doesn't look like anyone is banging the door down for your services, despite the best efforts of your agent. I have no doubt that what you have been offered by Everton will make you a very rich man.

If you think you deserve to be on par with Mikel or Tim, think again. Sign the contract or move on. If you are not happy, ask for a transfer.

I hope you stay because on your day you can be a great player, but nobody is bigger than the club, and the grass is not always greener elsewhere. Ask Joleon!

Roberto Birquet
26   Posted 19/08/2010 at 18:18:28

I'm more concerned with Everton not messing it up. By which I mean allowing him to run down his contract.

Either get him signed up or sell! And before a certaain somebody says there are no offers for him (which yyou admit you don't know), I don't give a fiddler's broken string. Put him up for sale.

And as long as it's more than £6 million - bye bye. We should get enough to bring in Donovan, which as mentioned before is far better to have for 4 years than Pienaar for one.

The whole thing is getting on my wick.
Matthew Williams
27   Posted 19/08/2010 at 18:29:48

Dave Smith
28   Posted 19/08/2010 at 18:21:09

Eugene - Why can't we just get rid of agents altogether? It would mean the player's getting more money, and the clubs paying less. Win, win to me!

I mean honestly, what good do they do?
Mike Allison
29   Posted 19/08/2010 at 18:29:02

He doesn't 'deserve' the same money as Arteta, but he probably does 'deserve' to be second best, probably joint with whoever is at the moment (I think Heitinga was reported as being on £65k-a-week). Anything more is ridiculous.

The idea that being brought up in poverty means he needs an extra ten thousand pounds every week doesn't wash. A player's background makes no difference to his earning potential.
Eugene Ruane
30   Posted 19/08/2010 at 18:12:56

I more or less agree Andrew (and Liam) and yes, of course he has the right to get the best deal he can.

It's just that agents are only really interested in the best deal for themselves.

Pienaar on £30,000 a week could live the rest of his days in the absolute lap of luxury, as could the next generation of Pienaars.

He (or more likely) his agent are knocking back double that.

Is that (given that there are no bids for him) the 'best'?

Maybe it is, but maybe not.

We could have him for a year and he could walk for nothing and get a huge wage from someone else when he does.

He could also be horribly injured next month and never play again.

Something tells me this is a gamble the agent (as it won't be the end of HIS career) is happy to bet on.

(an exaggeration and unlikely of course but possible)
Ste Lewis
31   Posted 19/08/2010 at 18:32:03

Agree, it sounds like it could be a length of contract issue. Not sure of this 'he was nothing before we bought him' though, he was seen as one of Europe's brightest young talents when at Ajax. I think he's a top little player, hope he signs on again.
Mike Green
32   Posted 19/08/2010 at 18:49:09

Karl Masters - well said!

We get so hung up on the money that the length of the deal, which is just as important, and the timing of when it will end are sidelined.

Seems to me the club and player are playing a game of brag and are pretty confident of the hands they've got, They've put their money on the table and either one will fold or they'll turn over their cards.

Personally I think the club will budge Pienaars way a little more but not as far as he wants and he'll, in the end, take it.

The club and player have done this on all his contract negotations and I've always got the feeling Pienaar was being hard done by, on this occassion my gut feeling is he's holding out for a jackpot which the club just wont sanction.

The club need to make it clear what their final offer is and if he's not going to accept it see if we can get some money for him.
Joeynkoo Ludden
33   Posted 19/08/2010 at 19:16:36

Lyndon (16): Seriously.Couple of quick thoughts in reply:

?The undisputed Player of the Season for 2009-10? ? and if Arteta, Jags etc weren?t out for half the season, maybe he wouldn?t have been?

?Valued at around £15m? ? so you don?t agree that the transfer market has over inflated valuations these days??

?Who creates goals? ? so does Osman. So did Coleman but never got another game.

?Is constantly in motion? ? I had to read that twice. We are talking about football aren?t we? Isn?t it, erm, a prerequisite that, as a player, and moreover as a premier league player, you ought to be in constant motion? It?s not a positive that you are, it's a negative if you aren?t.

?Plays one-twos down the left with aplomb? ? I?d value any left sided midfielder who can do this at £15m. One-twos? He wouldn?t get a game if he couldn?t do the basics. I know he can do the basics, because he is a fairly average player and even the average ones can play one-twos.

?Links up brilliantly with his full-back? ? see above.

?Often tracks back and tackles superbly? ? ok, I actually don?t agree with this one. Tracks back yes, as is his job !!!) but tackles superbly, replace with, gives away too many free kicks.

?Pulls off neat back-heels to set up goals for the likes of Cahill and Arteta? ? how many times has he done this in his 3 seasons here?

?Adds nothing more than Leon Osman? ? don?t agree, Osman scores goals. In 3 seasons, Pienaar, as an attacking tricky little midfielder, has scored.... 8 goals for us (PL). He has also been convicted of drink driving, which is a bit of a no-no if you ask me.

I actually like Pienaar, I'm simply agreeing he is not indispensable and that he has done nothing to suggest we should stick him on a similar deal as Arteta.

Carl Moulton
34   Posted 19/08/2010 at 19:30:37

Pienaar was the man while Arteta was out last season and is one of our best players; to lose him would be a major set back and although I'd agree he is not at the level of Arteta, it's crucial we keep our best players... of which, he is one.
Andy Crooks
35   Posted 19/08/2010 at 19:46:25

Lyndon, if anyone would give us £15million for the disinterested Pienaar, I'd say, "What a deal."
Keith Ager
36   Posted 19/08/2010 at 19:44:58

I personally believe he looks better than he actually is, nice control, good passing and plays nice little touches... but very rarely goes past a man if ever; doesn't score enough, and very rarely plays the killer ball. hence why Everton or Moyes at the moment are not offering him any more cash.
Rob Hollis
37   Posted 19/08/2010 at 20:28:22

Does not look quite as 'classy' as Arteta but sees a pass quicker and is, along with Fellaini, Arteta, Heitinga and Baines, one of our top five players. I remember posting on here in some anger when we were slow to sign him near the end of his loan deal. Superb player.

Yes, he will want a lot of money and security but he is working in the currency of his job as we all do. It is just that his job has become very remote from the financial world most of us exist within.

Sell Yobo or Osman to finance the deal. He is excellent.
Karl Masters
38   Posted 19/08/2010 at 20:53:20

Lots of opinions, but a few facts that maybe shed some light on his value to the team:

2007-08. We were on a great run, but when Pienaar went to the Afcon our results dropped, only to improve on his return.

2008-09. He broke a toe in the pre-season against PSV and only returned in late October. We immediately won 3 games and our season finally got underway.

2009-10 We won 4 games in a row until Pienaar was injured at Pompey in late September. We then only won 2 of 11 games I think before he returned in late November and our season soon turned around.

Therefore, it would seem a sensible conclusion that we do better with him than without him.

I hope he stays, plus I admire how he has fought his way from poverty and a violent father to a class act who supports his whole family. I'll conveniently ignore the drink driving!
Chris Dawson
39   Posted 19/08/2010 at 21:05:49

I like Pienaar as a player and should definately get him signed up as soon as we can, but if we were to sell him there is no chance we would get £15m. Ozil, who had a storming World Cup, has just gone to Real Madrid for £12.4m, buying out the final year of his contract, so there is no chance of selling Pienaar for more. If we did have to sell him, replacing him with a player of equal quality would probably cost more than we would get for him so it makes absolute sense to sign him up.
Matteo Rosingana
40   Posted 19/08/2010 at 21:33:40

He keeps hold of the ball longer than any of our other players. For sheer possession we're better off when he plays, and you don't score when you don't have the ball. Keep him.
Guy Hastings
41   Posted 19/08/2010 at 21:54:33

Judging by his vest, maybe he's haggling over St Luke's.
Jay Harris
42   Posted 19/08/2010 at 21:54:12

Don't underestimate his value to the team and particularly his work rate.

If we had someone similar on the right we'd have probably made the CL.

I agree with Lyndon.

Has anyone thought it might be the club dragging things out to see if they get a bid?

In the absense of any sensible offers for the Yak, Yobo or Vaughan we seem to have a budget deficit on our annual "sell to buy" policy fund.
Brendan O'Doherty
43   Posted 19/08/2010 at 22:13:00

"The disinterested Pienaar "

Whether you think he is being greedy or not, he can't be accused of being 'disinterested'. What do you base that on, Andy?

Another point to note is that, if he waits and walks on a free next summer, he won't be getting a 5-year contract at 29.
Eugene Ruane
44   Posted 19/08/2010 at 22:20:44

I don't know Brendan, what did we give Neville again ? a 12-year deal?

And I think he was not far off 29.

(Ok, ok it was only five..... feels like 12 though!)
Joeynkoo Ludden
45   Posted 19/08/2010 at 22:33:52

Eugene, do you think the Neville contract means he is a shoe-in for manager when Moyes decides he has had enough? That crazy 5-year deal had alternative theory written all over it...
Chris Leyland
46   Posted 19/08/2010 at 22:37:05

In response to people saying how good Pieenar is, here are some stats:
Last 3 Premier seasons:

Total goals 9
Total assists 15

So that's 3 goals and 5 assists per year.
Chris Leyland
47   Posted 19/08/2010 at 22:42:01

My post wasn't complete. Compare this to Milner who City have just big money for: He has 12 goals and 23 assists over the same period.

Stevie G la - 36 goals and 27 assists in the same period.

Arteta for 3 seasons (not including the last one which he missed most of of)

16 goals and 26 assists.

My point being, for a creative supposedly attacking midfielder, Pienaar doesn't do enough for me.
Steve Taylor
48   Posted 19/08/2010 at 22:47:22

Rob Hollis,
The fact that you do not include Cahill, Jagielka or Rodwell amongst our top 5 players blows your arguments to smithereens.
Tony I'Anson
49   Posted 20/08/2010 at 00:24:12

Does the length of a player's contract really matter anyway? Why not just give him 5 years, and if he's not doing the required business on the field after 2 years, sell him on then. At least it will still bring in some money instead of doing a Gosling.

A A
--o--
T W
Martin Mason
50   Posted 20/08/2010 at 01:09:23

He is absolutely correct in wanting the best deal he can get given his age but also relative to other players at the club. He owes Everton no loyalty only in the honouring of his contract. The only guide is the market rate for the job that he does and that he does very well.
Ernie Baywood
51   Posted 20/08/2010 at 01:08:34

You want to debate how good he is? He's comfortably in our best XI and that's about all that matters.

So he wants a big contract? Doesn't mean he's greedy... I want a big contract too.

People get far too emotional about this.
Eric Myles
52   Posted 20/08/2010 at 02:20:01

When Arteta was injured, he was our best and most creative player on the field. If we can guarantee that Arteta won't be missing any games this season, then we don't need Pienaar. If we can't guarantee any absences from Arteta, then we need Pienaar or the team will suffer.
Roy Coyne
53   Posted 20/08/2010 at 02:31:55

Steve (10) spot on mate, if matching Arteta is turned down, show him the door!
Mike Green
54   Posted 20/08/2010 at 08:07:32

Good point, Ernie Baywood ? we're forever scratching our heads and bemoaning who can fill right wing, right back etc and with Pienaar in the side we sometimes take for granted that he's made the left side position his own and is one of the first names on the team sheet.

However ? pure speculation ? if the club have offered a 3 year £60k per week deal, that's £9M which sounds fair enough to me.
Jason Lam
55   Posted 20/08/2010 at 07:56:35

He looks busy with all that running but the end product is way off at times. Plus the fact he's a winger I can see why a short-term contract (if that's the case) is being offered. Your speed zaps after 30, whereas Arteta can let the ball do the running for him sitting in front of the back 4.

He did look like our best midfielder out there last week though. And no, Osman is shit.
Kevin Hudson
56   Posted 20/08/2010 at 09:02:18

Update:

Sky Sports News has it that Harry is set to offer £6million to take him to White Hart Lane.

The plot thickens..
Kunal Desai
57   Posted 20/08/2010 at 09:09:29

In exchange for David Bentley??.... I'd be happy with that. I reckon Moyes can turn Bentley into the player he was when he was at Blackburn.
Anthony Fox
58   Posted 20/08/2010 at 09:42:35

If he is so poor and over-rated like so many on here think... Who the fuck voted for him to be Player of the Season?? Doesn't say much about the rest of our squad!! You have to pay your top players what they are worth on decent length contracts... Simple!!! Stop getting all hot and bothered cos he wants more money. His career is over in 4 or 5 years.. Wouldn't you want the same if you were him??
David Thomas
59   Posted 20/08/2010 at 10:17:32

Anthony,

What do you think he is worth? For arguments sake if we have offered him £60,000 a week and he wants more, do you think he is worth it?
Anthony Hughes
60   Posted 20/08/2010 at 10:25:21

I like Pienaar and think he's a good player but £60k a week's a fantastic offer for a player who as a attacking/creative midfielder doesn't score enough goals.
David Thomas
61   Posted 20/08/2010 at 10:45:08

I agree, I would like Pienaar to stay as he is a good player who is a big asset to our team. However, if the club has offered him £60k a week then this I believe is a fantastic offer for Pienaar and I don't think I would go much higher.

However, this is all just speculation as we have no idea what has been offered / asked for by either party and most likely we will never know.
Roberto Birquet
62   Posted 20/08/2010 at 10:45:33

Matthew Williams

"People having a go at Steven for not signing seem to have conveniently forgot that Arteta`s contract wasn`t sorted out quickly either."
--------
That's not true. Mikel signed two years ahead of his then present deal ending. Protracted? it took months. The Pienaar saga has been going on for over a year. There is a lot of speculation about the length and size of contract, but none of us know, do we?

Greedy? Yes, but can you blame someone? If you know you can get £3 million a year for the next five years, and then just peanuts like the rest of us (well most) for the rest of your life, then you'd do the same, surely?

I can't be bothered with such chatter anymore; just Everton. Either get an affordable deal done (which can't be much more than £60k/wk), or sell for a price that at least gets us Donovan. Then the sale of Yak (looks like it'll happen) can get us a replacement on the left hand side. Just cross fingers, we are ok with strikers.

We need to move on asap. If he stays without a new contract, it will be his last year. That is definite ? anything else would be irrational, illogical.

Anthony Fox
63   Posted 20/08/2010 at 14:06:30

David;

Possibly not in terms of him being paid more than £60k. But I doubt very much that's the offer from Everton that he is turning down. I've got a feeling its around £40-45k for 3 years. The Yak is more than that and we are trying to get rid of him...

When Arteta has just been signed on a reported £70k on a 5-year deal, that does seem a little bit like the club are undervaluing him (if that is the case, of course... but we will never know as silence is golden as always from Everton). Let's just hope it is sorted sooner rather than later. It should have been sorted last day of last season!!

Ken Buckley
64   Posted 20/08/2010 at 14:04:05

Just read the piece about him in today's 'Daily Post'. It seems to me a good time for his people to put his views forward just before he runs out for the first game of the season at home. Keep the fans onside while he decides just what is a fair offer whilst the transfer deadline looms.
Andy Burke
65   Posted 20/08/2010 at 14:12:46

I can't believe some of the comments on here about Pienaar.

He is undoubtedly one of the most important players at the club and his contract needs to be sorted quicktime.

Name me one good reason why Pienaar should not try and get the best deal for himself? And one that he considers is 'fair' based on market forces.

Why does trying to get the best deal for himself make him a 'greedy little fucker' and 'a bit thick'.
David Thomas
66   Posted 20/08/2010 at 15:34:13

Anthony 61,

"I've got a feeling its around £40-45k for 3 years."

Why do you think the contract being offered is as above? Have you seen these figures reported anywhere? I presume you have to be able to say the length of the contract as well. The only figure I have seen reported is £60k in the Echo a few weeks ago? If you are right then after his performance last season I would say he is worth more than £40k in the current market.

Andy Crooks
67   Posted 20/08/2010 at 19:01:46

Brendan, what has Pienaar done over the summer to demonstrate any interest in Everton? Would you not agree that his performance last week was poor and lethargic?
Brendan O'Doherty
68   Posted 20/08/2010 at 19:40:50

Presumably you mean on the pitch, Andy?

I thought he was our best player at the Everton Chile game. Very lively - didn't look like a man that wanted away.

Last week everyone was fairly lethargic. Our £75k/wk man being more lethargic than most.