Yakubu??

I wonder... Where is Yakubu? Is he so bad he's not able to get a place, even on the bench? Is he maybe even injured? Why don't the club tell us anything?

Maybe he's up for sale. Or maybe he's on a diet. Perhaps he's on a disciplinary reaction?

But why then... always the silence? Why don't our club have some decent media people? I don't mean for them to say everything, but always this silence.

Don't the people working at EFC know it's allright to say something truthful? I just wonder...
Gaute Lie, Oslo, Norway     Posted 22/08/2010 at 01:01:05

Comments

Paul Olsen
1   Posted 22/08/2010 at 08:54:08

Watching us both against Blackburn and Wolves, I missed the Yak. His ability to hold up the ball would have been a welcome asset in both games.
Phil Roberts
2   Posted 22/08/2010 at 08:40:01

Gaute,

I presume you would like to hear something like:

a. Yakubu has arrived back from the World Cup 8 kilos heavier and as a result he has lost a yard of pace. Well, we are hoping it is his weight and not his ankle injury that has caused this and therefore he is on a strict diet and we will see the results in about 6 weeks. We are also disappointed at the Nigerian FA in allowing him to put on so much weight.

Or maybe...

b. Since his injury, Yakubu is not the player he was and we have decided to sell him. We paid over £11M for him and we would like to get as much as that back as possible. We believe he will improve and the more he trains and therefore we believe our valuation in a good risk for any prospective purchaser.

Or maybe even...

c. Yakubu is currently injured. For those wishing to make an offer to buy him, he will possibly not pass a medical but the window has only 10 more days and he was a recognised goal machine until his bad injury almost 2 years ago.

Perhaps this will be better:

d. Yakubu has been disciplined by the club because (fill in your own answer here as I don't want to be done for libel and the guy is a good one and does not deserve this thread to be treated as a rumour starter), a serious breach of club discipline. While he was scoring goals for fun, the club was prepared to overlook it but now that he is no longer automatic choice we have taken action. This is not the first time that he has been involved in this type of action during his career at Everton.

Or even:?

e. Yakubu will not be in the starting line up as on current form and fitness he is not one of our top three strikers. However, we will listen to offers for a striker who cost us £11M and is not considered by us to be as good as one we got for £2M, one for £1M and one for free from a lower division.

So there we have it - possible statements from the club, all telling the truth to us fans. Anything less and we would have considered it a cover-up. And of course what is great is that no other manager or scout would know. As the Marshall said to 'Alias Smith and Jones', "It will be our little secret".

So I ask you the question: Why do you need to know? Do we have to always tell everyone our problems?
Jon Ferguson
3   Posted 22/08/2010 at 09:44:44

Personally I just hope that he is carrying a minor injury. I wouldn't be so reactionary as to write Beckford off after two games, but he isn't ready to be our first choice forward yet.

Saha has the ability to be one of the best forwards in the league but hasn't set the Prem alight for a long time now. Despite his sometimes lackadaisical attitude, Yakubu is always good at holding the ball up and playing in others, which is something we need at the moment.
Mike Allison
4   Posted 22/08/2010 at 10:53:23

Phil, they wouldn't have to be that stark, but a reason for our most expensive striker, and second most expensive player ever, not being in the squad isn't too much to ask for.

I personally think that, all things considered, he's our first choice striker; I voted for him in that poll and was obviously in a minority as only about 3% did... but, unless he's got an injury, the only thing to do with him is play him back to full match fitness and match sharpness.

If Moyes simply doesn't rate him anymore, then £6M was a decent offer and should have been accepted. If he does, he should play him, and if he can't, they should tell us why.
John Daley
5   Posted 22/08/2010 at 11:08:18

Burger King
Dan McKie
6   Posted 22/08/2010 at 11:10:17

We will maybe know more come wednesday when we play Huddersfield. I would think Moyes would give some of the fringe players a game, so if we see Yakubu, it maybe suggests that he is just third choice at the moment. Shame that though as I really dont see where are goals are going to come from at the moment.
Steve Edwards
7   Posted 22/08/2010 at 12:08:40

Nice to see that West ham are struggling after the insulting offer they made for Yakubu recently. Nothing particlary against West ham but the new owners are a couple of gobshites. It will be interesting to see if they come calling again after the poor start they have made to the season.
Kase Chow
8   Posted 22/08/2010 at 12:27:42

Either the Yak is good enough, in which care play him

...or he's not, in which case sell him (yes we can wait until we get a 'true valuation' for him but by that time the window will be shut anyway so we lose out where t matters...on the pitch

David Hallwood
9   Posted 22/08/2010 at 13:20:54

Steve Edwards#7-The owners of West Ham are a pair of gobshites? I'll have you know that their wonderful publications helped me through some of the more difficult periods of my youth.
Eugene Ruane
10   Posted 22/08/2010 at 14:56:58

They may have helped you David but they are directly responsible for my right hand being little more than a useless claw (had to type this with my left hand - 35 minutes!)
Andy Crooks
11   Posted 22/08/2010 at 15:24:29

Phil Roberts,that is the best post I've read for some time. The answer is in there.
Sam Hoare
12   Posted 22/08/2010 at 18:08:39

John Daley- very good. And probably true.

What I would give for the pre-injury Yak. Our striking options are looking very unappealing on current evidence.

Gaute Lie
13   Posted 22/08/2010 at 18:09:41

# 2, Phil Roberts

I agree with you , partially.

No. We don't need to know everything.
Sometimes things are best not said.

But EFC never says anything. And for a player of Yakubus ( former ) status, I wan't to know.

I mean, 2 yrs ago he was our star forward.
Now, he's nowhere to be seen. And it makes me wonder "why?".

However, my complaints go further than just Yakubu.

It leaves us to speculate, to gossip like a bunch of elderly females.

And I'm not an elderly female. In fact, I'm not a female at all. I just want i tiny bit of truth from my club.
Gaute Lie
14   Posted 22/08/2010 at 18:09:41

# 2, Phil Roberts

I agree with you , partially.

No. We don't need to know everything.
Sometimes things are best not said.

I mean, 2 yrs ago he was our star forward.
Now, he's nowhere to be seen. And it makes me wonder "why?".

However, my complaints go further than just Yakubu.

It leaves us to speculate, to gossip like a bunch of elderly females.

Michael Evans
15   Posted 22/08/2010 at 19:01:52

Eugene@10 - pure comedy genius.
Chris Sillett
16   Posted 22/08/2010 at 19:09:12

The situation with Yakubu is really frustrating me! It is well known that Moyes rejected a bid of £6 million for him from West Ham, and then tells us all that Yak is still a top player etc but then he is nowhere to be seen in the entire squad for two games in a row. It's all very strange if you ask me, unless he is injured but then why has there been no mention of this anywhere?
Karl Masters
17   Posted 22/08/2010 at 22:50:09

A sign of the times when Yak, Yobo, Neville, Anichebe and Vaughan aren't in the 16 for one reason or another.

Once Moyes finds the right combination, which I hope is soon, we will have strength in depth for the first time in living memory.

I suppose my only fear is that with the wealth of talent available and the numerou combinations he might take too long to find it!
Mike Green
18   Posted 22/08/2010 at 23:46:14

Agree with Andy Crooks - there's poetry in your post Phil. Simple genius in yours too John Daley. Brilliant.

We might be shit on the pitch - but we're fucking great online!

My guess is Yak''s on his way. Dont envy him if he's on his way to those monkeys running WHM but hey, thems the breaks. Good luck to him.

If not - could he be the 21st Centuries Lord Lucan.......?