Sacrafice Rodwell

Would anyone else like to see Moyes cash in on Rodwell? £20 million and take the £6 million for Yakubu and invest in a quality striker, right winger and cover at left back... I wouldn't mind Andy Carroll or Carlton Cole, Donovan and a decent left back. I thought we should've bought Shorey as cover.
Chris  Hannon, Birkenhead     Posted 22/08/2010 at 20:22:13

Comments

Brendan O'Doherty
1   Posted 23/08/2010 at 03:35:51

Martin Mason
2   Posted 23/08/2010 at 03:45:11

No. The day we do this we become Everton the small club and perennial losers.
Matt Traynor
3   Posted 23/08/2010 at 04:06:41

Andy Carroll? Carlton Cole? I thought you said quality?

I suspect Rodwell will be sold, and like Rooney, it'll be to stave off the banks. We've just borrowed another 14 million from Investec apparently, against "future media revenue" (read next weeks Sky tranche). 9 million is to service the same borrowing we did last year, and every year, and the remaining 5 million is to finance the new player contract extensions.

So tell me, if we did bank the 26 million you reckon we'd get. How much would Moyes actually have to spend?
Mike McLean
4   Posted 23/08/2010 at 04:35:10

Absolutely not.
Liam Reilly
5   Posted 23/08/2010 at 05:33:50

No, if the club houses any ambition to be a top 4 club, it must hold on to it's better young players. Selling them will put out the wrong message, because it would create unrest within the ranks of our better footballers and attract nothing more than a mediocre footballer.
Sean McKenna
6   Posted 23/08/2010 at 05:33:28

I think those useless bunch of twats who are running this club should get their fucking finger out and give Moyes some fucking money!! 3 years on the trot with not a penny spent, how is it possible to keep up without investing in the team!?!

Personally I think most Evertonians would believe Blue Bill if he said he was talking to Elvis last night... the man and his cronies get away with murder. We as fans should turn the heat up on Bill, demanding Monies for Moyes or fucking sell the club... If it's really for sale.

Liam Reilly
7   Posted 23/08/2010 at 05:33:50

Steven Pendleton
8   Posted 23/08/2010 at 05:39:46

No. Would just like to see him get a starting birth now for us.
Gary Hegarty
9   Posted 23/08/2010 at 07:30:50

As far as ludicrous statements go this is up there. Sell the brightest young player in the country and bring in some "never will be's". Carlton Cole??? Andy Carroll??? Do you gain all football knowledge through SunSport and Goals on Sunday???
Christ alive - I'd take Anichebe over Carroll and Luke Garbutt over Nicky Shorey (you may need to look that one up!!).

Nurse, nurse....help needed!!
Alan Clarke
10   Posted 23/08/2010 at 07:56:50

I completely agree except I think the likes of Nicky Shorey are out of our league. Instead we should sell Rodwell and sign Jason Roberts. I'm also gutted we missed out on Marlon Harewood! This post is a complete wind up, Chris.
Mike Green
11   Posted 23/08/2010 at 08:24:20

Erm........ No.
Gary Mortimer
12   Posted 23/08/2010 at 08:33:35

That's a really good question . . can we really afford to have a £25m + player just sat on the bench, because the ways things are going, Moyes will never ever risk playing him unless he has to.

We were shocking in the 2nd half on Saturday and what did Moyes do? He took off Billy and put on Osman. The day that Osman (who can do a job in an injury ravaged midfield, but only then) gets given the nod before Rodwell, is the day I question why Moyes is so revered.

What is Moyes protecting him from? We have Mikel, Pienaar, Fellaini, Cahill, Rodwell, Billy and Osman - who are cometing for 3 positions. Billy, Osman and Pienaar can play out wide.

If we're keeping him, he should play him.
Sam Hoare
13   Posted 23/08/2010 at 08:51:12

Sell the potentially the most talented English youngster in his generation to fund a move for Carlton Cole?

Genius.
Michael Evans
14   Posted 23/08/2010 at 09:10:43

Let me think ....

........ (still thinking)....

...... (still thinking - getting there)......

....................... NO ! .... For Carlton Cole ????!!!!!!

Steve Pugh
15   Posted 23/08/2010 at 09:13:46

To all of those people demanding that Rodwell plays all of the time, who will you blame when his development stops before time and he starts getting lots of niggling little injuries.

Rooney is not the player that he could have been, why? because he was overplayed when he went to United. Young players cannot physically cope with the stresses of playing all of the time because their bodies are still developing.
Gary Mortimer
16   Posted 23/08/2010 at 09:21:52

I'm not advocating we play hime all the time, but not bringing him on for the last 15 mins on Saturday was, in my opinion, a mistake - easy to say with hindsight I know.

I just hope that Jack is sensible enough not to think that sitting on the bench at Old Trafford for more money is better than sitting on the bench at Everton.

At presnt I think he is behind Arteta, Cahill, Fellaini, Jonny H in the midfield pecking order, but he should be ahead of Osman, Billy, Neville(!) and Pienaar for a central role.

He must be given games - not just Mickey Mouse cup games sometime like Wednesday either.
Anthony Fox
17   Posted 23/08/2010 at 09:29:03

Chris.. Have you been sniffing glue again?
Stephen Davies
18   Posted 23/08/2010 at 09:32:20

Here we have someone with far greater potential than any other player on our books and you think about selling him and getting people with less ability???

Rodwell should be getting games under his belt
Chad Schofield
19   Posted 23/08/2010 at 09:42:43

"Andy Carroll or Carlton Cole" - words fail..
Anthony Hawkins
20   Posted 23/08/2010 at 09:45:13

The main question can be answered very simply - HELL NO!!

After that it gets a bit more complex. As far as central midfielders go, Rodwell is third/fourth in line only to Arteta, Fellaini & Cahill. Heitinga should be partnering Jagielka at CB.

On the topic of strikers, unless one of them suddenly clicks, we have a serious and impending problem. Yak is done and needs to be moved on. Saha is proving he is getting on and should be used as a sub because whilst he does amazing things, it's only on occassion although I can see him being our top scoring striker on the books. Beckford doesn't seem to have quite grasped what is required of him in the PL. Of all of the strikers, Beckford is the one who I have the most hope for. I'm hoping he can click and that'll be it. Silva showed early promise but needs time.

Other than that, more services is the only other solution and requires a new right midfielder.... does Moyes have the money to do this? Doesn't look like it.
Neil Vaughan
21   Posted 23/08/2010 at 09:48:47

Andy Carroll, Carlton Cole, Nickey Shorey.... dear oh dear...!!
Neil Vaughan
22   Posted 23/08/2010 at 09:52:25

Totally agree that johnny H should be playing at the back....after all isn't that where he has just played in the WORLD CUP FINAL only a few weeks ago...
Moyes has to STOP accomodating players such as Hibbert, Osman, Distain, Neville & play his STRONGEST side in their correct positions (...and fuck off this one up front lark especially at home)....perhaps then we we'll begin to beat shite teams like Wolves, Blackburn, Stoke etc and not have to look for piss poor excuses for his negative tactics every week
Andrew Ellams
23   Posted 23/08/2010 at 10:18:12

Gary Mortimer #15. As much as I want Jack Rodwell to stay at Everton as he is the man that the next generation at this club should be built around, I'm honestly struggling to see what is not sensible about sitting on the bench for more money at Man Utd rather than at Everton. The incredible thing is that if this kid was at Man U or Arsenal he'd be getting a lot more game time.
Erik Dols
24   Posted 23/08/2010 at 10:12:21

My co-workers are looking at me suspiciously because I had a fit when I read "Carlton Cole".

I am realistic enough to see that Rodwell will probably leave us at some point, that?s just modern football. I hope it will take years and years for him to make that step, I hope to see him captain us to silverware first and actually I hope he will leave to Spain or so, not to some moneybags team like City. But to suggest to sell him right now to create funds to buy Carlton Cole? Oh my.
Roberto Birquet
25   Posted 23/08/2010 at 10:39:08

Same as everyone else. No way. And start playing him, too.

But sell Pienaar before his monetary value plummtes to about £2 million in two weeks' time. And use that to get Donovan.

Where is the Yak? Is this the end of our affair? If so, add Anichebe and sell the pair for a top class striker.
Dick Fearon
26   Posted 23/08/2010 at 10:57:04

There should be a few red faces among those who scorned Andy Carroll. He scored a hatrick and ripped the Villa back line to shreds. Some one please remind me of when an Everton player scored three.

I would like to think we had a player who would score three against Villa on Saturday... There I go, dreamin again.

Anand Rabheru
27   Posted 23/08/2010 at 11:20:57

NO! I would like to see them on the pitch playing for Everton FC not on the bench for 90 minutes and at home (or wherever the yak has been told to stay!!!)
Iain Love
28   Posted 23/08/2010 at 11:10:24

Rodwell won't play until the transfer window has closed. DOH!

Rodwell wont be sold if our ambition matches his talent, ie shit season and he's gone to the highest bidder.

As for getting a £20mill striker in ..... Who ??? Certainly not the ones mentioned, Carroll reminds me of Big Dunc but £20mill? No way... and it's not just the transfer fee, it's the wages and could we attract top talent? Cardoza is the only one that springs to my mind.

Alex Gibney
29   Posted 23/08/2010 at 11:25:49

No...are you completely deranged..??
Chris Hannon
30   Posted 23/08/2010 at 07:23:09

#3 Will any of that £14 million be for Moyes??
Anthony Hughes
31   Posted 23/08/2010 at 11:26:49

No Rodwell shouldn't be sold now,we can't allow our image as a club to be tarnished as a selling club.We need to keep our best players and be adding quality players alongside them if we are to make any inroads into the big boys club.This is a huge season for us and we really need to break into that top 4 and get Champions League football to bring in revenue and raise our profile.Our inept board are never going to provide funds for this for us so its down to what we've got on the pitch to play out of there skins and drive us on.I know Rodwell has signed a 5 year deal but my worry is that we don't make Europe and he becomes a England regular and then the whole situation could change and we receive concrete offers next summer which we know Kenwright will take.We've had no money this transfer window,where's it going come from in the future?
Ryan Rosenberg
32   Posted 23/08/2010 at 11:40:04

Lay off the coke
Kevin Hudson
33   Posted 23/08/2010 at 11:44:52

For me the dreaded question is WHEN a Rooney-esque transfer saga comes to pass with Rodwell: Supporters up-in-arms,player unrest,recriminations, weak explanations and a five year contract not worth a carrot.

I just hate the notion that our club "doesn't match," the player's expectations,and the whole inevitability of it. Jack ought to be a bedrock of our ten-year plan,and future captain.
Andrew Flanagan
34   Posted 23/08/2010 at 12:14:38

Oh dear
Darren Dempsey
35   Posted 23/08/2010 at 12:11:55

Sorry that's a BIG NO! Maybe swap him for Messi (am I being stupid? Well you started it!) I would sell Yak and Yobo which if we're lucky would net us £10M. Then go for Carroll, he could then wear a Number 9 shirt that really means something!! COYB
Ben Howard
36   Posted 23/08/2010 at 12:35:46

Well you rightly got a bit of a pasting there Chris. Rodwell will be a fantastic player for us and to make sure that he stays with us we need to match his ambition. I think we'll see a lot from him this season as Moyes removes the shackles - this will then make the argument for having a £20m+ player sat on the bench redundant. I hate the assumption that it's just a matter of time until he goes to Man Utd.

I actually really rate Andy Carroll though as you do and think we'll all be talking about him this season.
Sean McCarthy
37   Posted 23/08/2010 at 12:39:00

No universal approval with this one then Chris?????
Hmmmmmm.......
Richard Reeves
38   Posted 23/08/2010 at 12:39:41

Chris, Sell Rodwell? ....Are you ok? This is crazy talk. We have an excellent squad that needs some back up for certain possitions and some priorities in the right wing and maybe attacking department but the problem we have is in Moyes putting the wrong team out.

What Moyes should do is stick to his best team and play it regularly, bringing on other players when necessary. I'm not going to go on about all the players and what is there best possition but for me I would have a central midfield of Arteta and Rodwell. Whenever they've played together they have an understanding and work well together. Obviously Cahill is a legend and gets goals but for better football and to move to that next level they should play ARTETA and RODWELL!

Tony J Williams
39   Posted 23/08/2010 at 12:46:54

"But sell Pienaar before his monetary value plummtes to about £2 million "

Right idea but to who though, Moyes has stated that they have had no offers for him and if they did it would take a sackfull of cash. Read that again, "No offers for him" so who are we to sell him to when no-one wants him?
Duncan McDine
40   Posted 23/08/2010 at 13:13:23

Good question Chris... this one got me thinking for all of a nanosecond.

NO is the answer you're looking for.
Duncan McDine
41   Posted 23/08/2010 at 13:15:28

£40m... then I'd have to think a wee bit longer.
Tom Harries
42   Posted 23/08/2010 at 13:28:13

I kind of see your argument, Chris, if I really squint!

Selling our most talented youngster will tell everyone that we are the new Norwich (remember them?)

The other thing is, if we sell an expensive player to get money to buy 2, 3 or even 4 squad players, can you guarantee we'd get the best available players? Or would we sell one racehorse and get 3 donkeys?
Gaute Lie
43   Posted 23/08/2010 at 13:41:18

The best prospect in midfield for many years.

AND HE WANTS TO SELL HIM?

WTF?
Jamie Tulacz
44   Posted 23/08/2010 at 14:11:23

Not going to happen anyway since he's just signed a new 5 year contract.

Give him a start as looks to be in good form at the moment
Tony Hughes
45   Posted 23/08/2010 at 14:20:14

Chris, behave!!
James McGrady
46   Posted 23/08/2010 at 14:44:44

Wow, I think the only way of getting a more universal answer of "No" would be to ask if we should change are name to Liverpool Blues
Terry Mcloughlin
47   Posted 23/08/2010 at 13:28:25

Fuck it, sell Neville, Osman, Cahill and Bily, that should get us... not much to say the least. Point is, we can trust Moyes with no money to bring in a couple of bargins, but give him money to spend he blows it on shite like Billy, Beattie ,Krøldrup, Johnson. Half of Moyes's buys only come good when injuries permit them them to (A) either be played or (B) be played in the rightful position, eg, Baines couldn't get a game, Jags in midfield, Arteta on the wing, Fellaini up front, Heihtinga in midfield.

Point is injuries has put certain players in there rightful position and they have come good. Not down to Moyes? He played them out of position until forced to play them where they should be. Plus don't get me started on Rodwell? He will be a great centre half? Ffs he plays in midfield for England? We must know something they don't know?

Dominic Bobadilla
48   Posted 23/08/2010 at 15:15:41

What a ludicrous suggestion.
Charles King
49   Posted 23/08/2010 at 15:34:03

Gary Hegarty
50   Posted 23/08/2010 at 15:41:46

Charles - as the 49th poster and with a unique perspective, you're now the proud owner of a set of steak knives ? loving your work.
Mike McLean
51   Posted 23/08/2010 at 16:07:49

Charles, you tease. How much did Michael pay you to add a bit of controversy to the thread?!
John McLoughlin
52   Posted 23/08/2010 at 16:15:13

In a year or 2 he'll be gone anyway, The finest young talent in the country is not going to stay at a club with no ambition when clubs will double his wages and offer a chance to win things. But for now we should be building the team around him, Billy will be delighted then as his price goes up and he'll get more money for him and save himself the task of getting funding to stand still.
Anthony Hughes
53   Posted 23/08/2010 at 16:19:53

It doesn't make good reading John but I think deep down we all know that is a likely outcome.
James I'Anson
54   Posted 23/08/2010 at 16:10:21

Anthony Hughes 31: Exactly. As we're obviously not for sale the Champions League is the only place left for EFC to raise funds. If we don't qualify i feel it is downhill until Bill finally fucks off. Hopefully he does the decent thing before selling our most valuable assets. I seriously doubt it though.
Ray Robinson
55   Posted 23/08/2010 at 16:44:42

No in answer to the question and re Dick Fearon (#26), I'll bet Emile Heskey scored a hat trick once - it doesn't necessarily make Andy Carroll a quality player.
Charles King
56   Posted 23/08/2010 at 16:34:32

Gary, thanks for the steak knives (suspect I'll need a sword and shield though) and Mike I suspect money from the coffers of mIchael would be as rare as transfer funds from mr Kenwright and Co. Which is really my reasoning, although devastated by the Rooney transfer, I think we benefitted long term.

Liam #6 says Rodders transfer would confirm our status out of the top 4, but I think we're miles behind and our only way of getting there is to find more like Rodders and sell 'em. The present regime shows no sign of change so the perennial money issues can only be tackled this way.

Sorry boys... I'm just locking the doors and windows now.
Kase Chow
57   Posted 23/08/2010 at 13:58:17

I think this sort was a fair question designed to spark ale er debate...I.e. can we 'afford' to have a £20m bench warmer when we're lacking so much elsewhere?

It's a fair question. We NEED a striker, right mid, centre back (John H and Phil J are too short to play together) and a reserve left back.

Chris Hannon
58   Posted 23/08/2010 at 07:23:09

I said Shorey as back up! He would do a better job backing Baines up than Neville and Distin! And only a £1.5 million!

Andy Carroll scored a hat-trick yesterday! He has got an eye for goal and is talented enough to be touted as England material! Has beckford ever been England material?

No! Carlton cole was just a shout but he is better than what we have, scores goals in a shit team! We need a goalscorer and he scores goals what more can you ask!

I love rodwell, I think he will be brilliant! If he isn't already, but you could solve 3 problems with the money for him! 2 big problems! And if he isn't seen as a 1st team player by Moyes then take the cash before he asks to move and the is a big Lescott fiasco again! After all £25 mill for Lescott we strengthened the squad significantly!

And get off Bily's back he's come from a different country climate and culture to be played out of position! How many Bily haters would fit in perfectly in the wrong position!

Christopher McCullough
59   Posted 23/08/2010 at 18:08:15

Just kidding. Wouldn't sacrifice a lamb for Carlton Cole.
David Thomas
60   Posted 23/08/2010 at 18:41:26

Chris Hannon,

That is the best "wind up" post on this site for a while.
Chris Hannon
61   Posted 23/08/2010 at 18:50:59

Thank you, Charles King, exactly my point! 1 step back; 2 steps forward.
Dick Fearon
62   Posted 23/08/2010 at 19:35:27

Ray # 57, What is quality when a goal scorer is concerned? I am reminded of an after game conversation in the Abbey. Someone asked "What do you reckon about that new fella Pickering"? George, our local guru considered for a moment then said, "Can't dribble, can't head, slow as a cart horse and no class but if he keeps scoring hat-tricks like today's he is good enough for me," and that was echoed by all the regulars. The ability to ram that ball home is all the class I want for a centre-forward.
Christopher McCullough
63   Posted 23/08/2010 at 20:04:48

Dick #62

What do you make of Yakubu and Beckford as a partnership?

Dick Fearon
64   Posted 23/08/2010 at 20:49:53

Christopher # 63
Your suggestion could work. as would any twin pairing from Yak, Beckford, Saha, Anichebe, Vaughan, Uncle Tom Cobley an all would bring more goals and win more games than a lone striker. Unfortunately such a double act is not in Davy's song book. We will continue to see low scoring games where a single goal separates us from a win or loss.
James I'Anson
65   Posted 23/08/2010 at 21:00:37

Even if we got rid for £25M, who would we buy that would accept £25 grand a week. We could buy 2 players and pay them £25 grand a week for 4 years. That would cost about £10M in wages leaving us with £7.5M for each player.

What do you get for £7.5M and £25k a week these days.

Not progress.
Jason Broome
66   Posted 23/08/2010 at 21:08:56

Your not going to get many friends on this post Chris.

Would Barcelona cash in on Messi? Or Arsenal on Fabregas.

Rodwell is potentially the new Gerrard. He is in the upper tier of rising world talent alongside Balotelli.

How many players of that quality would sign a five year deal with a club like ours. How many would turn down the millions for loyalty and a love for our club.

2 dodgy games and your ready to sell the family jewel.
Stop panicking. Everton will get it right, the new boys will settle in and the unbeaten run will start.

Rodwell doesn't need to be rushed into a 50 game season. This is not '90's relegation Everton' and he is not Danny Cademarteri.

Just like Tyson... keep the boy free from injury and bring him along at the right pace... then watch him explode!
Pat Finegan
67   Posted 23/08/2010 at 22:50:26

LoL. I know Michael and Lyndon don't like little abbreviations like that but that's all I can say in response to the suggestion that we sell Rodwell.
Jamie Crowley
68   Posted 24/08/2010 at 02:50:17

Jesus! (that was a prayer for Chris, not an in-vain interjection)

And I agree with Dick Fearon. I think Carroll looks exceedingly promising. Huge physical prescence and as Dick pointed out - if he scores who gives a shit!
Ernie Baywood
69   Posted 24/08/2010 at 04:06:51

As much as I want us to have a large squad full of quality I'm realistic enough to expect that we can't afford it.

We can all bay for Bill's blood but at the end of the day we desperately need a centre forward. If that takes selling someone who isn't getting into the team then we have to do it. My hope would be that Rodwell isn't the one (or one of the ones) sacrificed, though.
Anthony Hughes
70   Posted 24/08/2010 at 07:53:16

Chris#58 I don't think anybody's on Bily's back but how long do we keep making excuses for him,different country,climate,culture,tired,too much football,played out of position?There will come a point when we have to decide whether or not he's going to make it as a 9 million pound player.I think he's a good player just not up to the rigours of the Premier League.