Members:   Log In Sign Up

Lack of Drive

Watching Match of the Day 2, Robbie Savage was talking about Mark Hughes's Fulham side against the Mancs... He pointed out how, every time they get the ball they look to pass and drive forward.

This is what has been lacking in what was meant to be a promising start to the season. Especially against Wolves, we had nice spells of passing in the middle of the park but completely ran out of ideas in the final third.

A player that could offer us this drive is Rodwell; I like most have no idea why Moyes is reluctant to play him from the off. The lad was as impressive as any ifthe other midfielders in pre-season aswell as the under 21 international.

We have missed out in what should have been a relatively easy start to the season. There is no chance we can play how we have been in our upcoming games so I hope Moyes is thinking about changing it up. Rodwell, and what I've seen of Gueye, would offer a more direct and postive approach to our play, but we need Moyes to show a bit of faith in them rather than ferrying to type with the likes of Neville, Hibbert and Osman (who will all play the part at some point, but not whilst trying to get some momentum).

I hope the start was a hiccup in what could be a good season! Have faith Moyes! COYB!
Mike Cow, Whiston     Posted 22/08/2010 at 22:19:46

Comments

Nick Entwistle
1   Posted 23/08/2010 at 15:23:25

I'm sure we'll see the guy in the Huddersfield match, but its difficult to see why he should play definate first choice against other midfield players, bar Moyes favourite Ossie.
Tony J Williams
2   Posted 23/08/2010 at 15:52:43

Some people have such short memories, not least season when Rodders was knackered (played too much...oh the irony), he was getting slated by many for his sideways/backwards passing, now he with Coleman are the way forward etc etc...
Shaun Brennan
3   Posted 23/08/2010 at 15:58:38

Now that Jack Rodwell has signed a new 5 year contract, which will hopefully keep the clubs at the top of the league at bay, it's surely worth starting him and playing him more now from the start.

As Nevile seems to think he's good enough for England now, then surely he's good enough for the Everton midfield. Barring Osman etc....
Roberto Birquet
4   Posted 23/08/2010 at 16:47:24

You do not expect to run out of ideas with Arteta and Pienaar as attacvking midfielders.

And how we all looked forward to finally seeing Arteta and Felli together. However, I would still play Felli fiorst if we are happy with his fitness, but JHeitinga as one of our two CBs. Heitinga and Felli togther would halt the punt ball our defenders too often employ.

I do not see Rodwell as THE answer as important a role he will at some point have in our season. And hopefully not labouring the point; how much more we would be with Donovan added to the mix...
Carl Moulton
5   Posted 23/08/2010 at 16:55:03

I think the reason we look to run out of ideas is down to the fact we don't have much up front making things happen. I'm not sure Rodwell is ready to dominate games just yet. Not sure how Hibbert gets dragged into every debate, I thought he was Man of the Match by a mile on Saturday.
Ben Jones
6   Posted 23/08/2010 at 17:23:25

He deserve to play considering his pre-season. I'd give him a chance.

I'm also looking forward to see Gueye in the Huddersfield, to see what he's all about.
GJ Butler
7   Posted 23/08/2010 at 17:20:07

Got to agree with Tony (2) and Roberto (4).

A poor start means we're all looking for answers, when the truth of the matter is the very capable starting 11 in both games just didn't perform to the level they can but at some point, will. Crying out for Rodwell, and as in other posts, Coleman, isn't the answer. Don't get me wrong, delighted Rodwell is with us for the next 5 years (hopefully) and he will mature into a top class player, but right now I've got him behind Felli & Heitinga for the holding role. Let's not panic just yet.

And going back to the original poster who is angered at Hibbo, Neville and Osman all playing ahead of Rodwell and Gueye - can I ask in what position are you expecting Rodwell and Gueye to play in when they replace any of the said three? Rodwell at right back or right midfield??

You may as well say Howard made an awful mistake in the opening game, why isn't he giving Coleman a run instead?
Alan Kirwin
8   Posted 23/08/2010 at 17:52:03

Said exactly this few days ago. I'm increasingly of the view that our annual fuck up to the start of a season is essentially the result of Moyes's conservatism.

One could almost argue that we end up, October-ish, playing joined up football almost be default and through the players rather than the manager.

Doing my head in it is.
John McLoughlin
9   Posted 23/08/2010 at 19:15:28

I'd play Rodwell at right midfield before Osman anyday of the week. We lack pace, power and drive in the midfield, Rodwell offers this Osman does not.
Mike Hughes
10   Posted 23/08/2010 at 22:25:20

Agree with most of the points on here. The Cup game this week will give the fringe players a run-out and still comfortably overturn Huddersfield.

More importantly, as of 10:23pm, why hasn't the league table on this page updated with the RS below us in the league and hovering above relegation? I know it's only 2 games and I know it was against scumbag City but I want to see the Red Filth relegated. I want to see them drowning in their own whining self-pity as they become the new Leeds or, better still, the new Chester City. That is what I will be dreaming of tonight ? the Red Filth playing Doncaster next season. Small minded and bitter ? yep, that's me! Listening to the whining moaning gobshites on the phone-ins is a real pleasure. Come on Trabsonspor! COYB. ps: I can't stand that giggling twat Robbie Savage either.

(Moderator - I've had a couple of drinks tonight so please forgive my rambling. I just love it when those gobshites get stuffed. And I hate that girly giggling up-his-own arsehole Robbie Savage).
Tony J Williams
11   Posted 24/08/2010 at 00:26:35

Alan, the old "conservatism" argument would have more weight if the team being picked was different to the one picked that used to get us into Europe and had our longest unbeaten run in over two decades.

Just another buzz word to use with no merit.
Jamie Crowley
12   Posted 24/08/2010 at 03:31:46

Mike -

Hilarious! Pls keep drinking.