Members:   Log In Sign Up

'Watch the Countdown...'

I was just reading Steve Round's ramblings in the Echo and was rather surprised to pick up on a comment he made.

He was going on about Yobo and Yak staying at the club and recovering from their world cup endeavours.

He then did a "Bill Kenwright" while saying he thought Moyes was fairly happy with the squad he made the following statement:

?Something might break this week but I think the manager is pleased with his squad. I think he is pleased with where he is at. That?s not to say nothing will happen, you never know. Watch the countdown.?

Reading between the lines will we be surprised with the wide pacy player most supporters are craving, or will it be a quality CB like Taylor of Newcastle or are we going to get a top quality striker.

Or more likely will it just be a club announecement that we ried really hard to bolster the squad with new addition but it just didnt happen.

Remember the new catchphrase "Watch the countdown"
Jay Harris, Liverpool     Posted 25/08/2010 at 14:03:44

Comments

Sam Hoare
1   Posted 25/08/2010 at 22:01:15

Sky Sports tells me that Victor Obinna is today having a medical with a view to a season long loan. At West Ham.

Can you think of anyone else who could use a pacey skillfull winger also capable of playing as a striker and with a decent goalscoring record?!

I know we have no cash but surely there must be some sort of players lined up if Moyes isn't throwing his hat in for this player he tried to get last Summer and still needs now.

Always hate seeing us miss out on decent viable options. Early days but Jon Walters (Sunderland) at £2.5m and Dembele (fulham) at £5m both look quite decent and are just the sort of quick winger/forward players we could use.

Maybe Moyes thinks we don't need any more players. I disagree. Know we 're short of cash but if we could get someone to fill right wing and potentially up front then surely worth a loan at least. Perhaps Anichebe can be that player but not totally convinced of that...

6 days till transfer window shuts.

Kunal Desai
2   Posted 25/08/2010 at 22:17:54

"Watch the countdown" will be the new "Watch this space".
Brendan O'Doherty
3   Posted 25/08/2010 at 22:30:07

Is Carol Vorderman doing it? If so, I will.
Thor Sørensen
4   Posted 25/08/2010 at 22:23:24

I really wish they would move the transfer window, so it shuts when the season starts, not a few weeks after.
Andrew Mackenzie
5   Posted 25/08/2010 at 22:37:36

Countdown welcomes Everton's David Moyes to the show today...Carol: hi David, make your choices... Hi Carol: consonant, consonant, vowel, consonant, vowel, consonant, vowel... David you have 30 seconds using m,c,a,n,e,l,o... Carol: time's up David... Osman Carol? Carol: No sorry David that's not correct, the answer was 'Coleman' you numpty!
Brendan McLaughlin
6   Posted 25/08/2010 at 22:45:38

Sorry boys but it was Round's accent. When asked about Kenwright he actually said "What's the cunt doing?" So don't expect any last minute activity in the market.
Jerry-Tom Doyle
7   Posted 25/08/2010 at 22:40:10

Thor #5 - totally agree. It's just a distraction for everyone involved, not least the fans. If they had the deadline the day before the season started it would add to the excitement of the countdown to the start of the season... for clubs with transfer budgets that is. The clubs could focus on game preparation and not be distracted by the unsettling media reports of players coming or going, Lescott being the obvious example... Pienaar this season.
Brendan O'Doherty
8   Posted 25/08/2010 at 22:55:03

Yes, the window should close on 31st July, and then everyone can get on with preparing for the season.

We now have the ridiculous scenario where the 25-man squads will not be handed into the PL until after 3 games have been played.

Either that, or abolish it altogether.
Tony J Williams
9   Posted 26/08/2010 at 00:32:59

It's nothing like watch this space. He is playing down any possible transfers but who knows we may get a loan/free. What's the problem?
Afzan Yusuf
10   Posted 26/08/2010 at 02:01:29

Ohh... watch the countdown means Messi will be coming... :)
Eugene Ruane
11   Posted 26/08/2010 at 04:09:02

I'd get rid of the transfer window for one reason.

They'd shit themselves at Sky

"So with 18 minutes and 27 seconds to go, will Spurs manage to get those registration papers signed and faxed and make José Merceneros a Tottenham player, here's what Harry Redknapp had to say earlier"

HR:"Yeah..look I've said he's a plier ar loik an' if ar can do a diw, ar wiw. Bat as oi sigh, it's not ap to me..."

Etc etc etfuckincetera.
Dave Wilson
12   Posted 26/08/2010 at 06:41:56

Jay

I`ve noticed you talking about the need for a quality center back all summer. I couldn't agree more.

These players know if they are going to win they probably need to score two, maybe even three every time.

Confidence, results and flowing football will only come when the players believe we won't concede stupid goals.

We are crying out for a commanding defender who thinks "I`m better than you" and will get it down and play... I so hope you get your wish.
Erik Dols
13   Posted 26/08/2010 at 07:51:41

Taylor? His agent is Stretford, don't think Moyes is very keen to do business with him. And rumour has it he's holding out for at least 75k a week, as far as I know we don't pay that kind of money.
Tommy Gourlay
14   Posted 26/08/2010 at 08:31:39

@Sam Hoare

"Moyes isn't throwing his hat in for this player he tried to get last Summer (Obinna)" - may be Moyes didn't go after Obinna because then he'd have to now deal with Rafa Beneathus.... ;)
Malcolm Evans
15   Posted 26/08/2010 at 08:56:05

The transfer window is Europe-wide is it not? So for the likes of Spain, Italy etc it does actually close before their seasons start.
Duncan McDine
16   Posted 26/08/2010 at 09:14:06

Brendan #6 - Genius!
Sam Morrison
17   Posted 26/08/2010 at 10:10:19

Agreed, Tony #3. Not so much perpetuating a myth as creating one, latching onto one comment in an interview.
Gary Hegarty
18   Posted 26/08/2010 at 09:46:20

A game all the family can play: Sky Sport Transfer Countdown Bullshit Bingo - collect the phrases and lose your mind. Featuring:

Harry Redcrapp "He's a top, top player";

Mancini "All our business is done... ok just one wafer thin mint then... £36m"

Ancelloti "I always liked Jimmy Greaves"

The Mail "Chelsea swoop for Saint's mate"

Woy Hodgson "We're the biggest, honest, come back, we are you know...5 times... nurse, nurse where are you?"

Ian Holloway "I'm just mad me eh, eh, eh mad eh, eh, eh"

Coming soon to a pointless channel near you!

Jimmy Hacking
19   Posted 26/08/2010 at 10:19:52

Watch this space.

Wow!
Alan Clarke
20   Posted 26/08/2010 at 10:50:24

I actually think losing Sky Sports News from my freeview channels will allow me to focus more during the summer and January. If I can tear myself away from the internet, I might get my life back.
Adam Fenlon
21   Posted 26/08/2010 at 10:50:30

If I worked for Everton, I?d never say anything to the media lest it be cynically pulled apart on ToffeeWeb. Maybe he honestly doesn?t know.

More likely, there might be something or there might not be. We all know there?s plenty of potential deals that don?t happen for whatever reason, but there's a tendency to assume the club?s at fault which is pretty tiresome?.
James Cadwaladr
22   Posted 26/08/2010 at 11:04:25

I think Moyes is up to something in the transfer market. He's obviously very busy doing something or why has he been getting Steve Round to do all the interviews over the last week? We haven't heard from him before in his 2 years here.
Ste Lewis
23   Posted 26/08/2010 at 11:11:17

Moyes's assistant has always done the press conferences and post match interviews for the League Cup. Irvine did it and Round did it last year. Don't think it means Moyes is busy signing players.
Duncan McDine
24   Posted 26/08/2010 at 11:26:29

Just read the interview with BK on the official website... this will surely spark off a hot debate here on ToffeeWeb!!!

Look forward to it later in the day.
Eugene Ruane
25   Posted 26/08/2010 at 11:18:15

Alan, if I worked If I worked for Everton I?d never say anything to the media because it's a completely fucking pointless exercise.

Thinking of signing a player?

Pointless to talk about it.

Thinking of NOT signing a player.

Ditto.

Hopes/plans/expectations for the season?

Keep it shut.

Derby coming up?

Say fuck all.

Even if the PL INSIST, you don't have to say anything but the most non-informative, banal, clichéd bollocks (eg: "We take one game at a time")

The amount of times I've read something by someone at the club and thought "should have kept that to yourself'".

It's not as if anyone gets asked anything new.

Sky nob: "David, a 2-1 defeat, you can't be happy"

DM: "No I felt we lost our shape a wee bit in the first..." blah blah.

We're not 'learning' anything.

We don't get any more of an insight than we already have.

If the Echo don't have anything about Everton for a Tuesday night, that's their hard fucking luck.

I'd rather read fuck all than "Captain fantastic says blues raring to go" followed by the same shite that's no doubt being spouted by other captains in the Manchester Evening news ('it's like friend dropping in') and The Birmingham whatever.

Loose lips, sink ships!

Chris Briddon
26   Posted 26/08/2010 at 12:21:27

Eugene - you might rather read nothing at all, but funnily enough the papers / TV wouldn't be very happy as they have lots of space to fill.

If Everton refuse to talk to the media, then it harms the club. If Everton talk to the media and say nothing then the fans complain.

It is the job of the media to report stuff and as such it is the job of EFC to talk to them, whether you have anything to say or not, as there are usually at least 5 days a week with no game to talk about.
Thor Sørensen
27   Posted 26/08/2010 at 12:32:05

I'm not expecting us to sign Obinna, but the least thing Moyes could do is apply for a work-permit for the lad! :-p
Thomas Christensen
28   Posted 26/08/2010 at 12:57:22

Alan Clarke, you are addicted to SkySports now, right. Wait until you get onto NewsNow.

@ 11 this morning I found out Saha has been called up to France.

On the transfer front, nothing will happen unless we sell a player. I don't think Moyes wants to sell a player.
Jamie Rowland
29   Posted 26/08/2010 at 13:19:39

I've been 'watching the countdown' ever since the transfer window was introduced. And it usually goes something like this:

Newcastle have signed...
Man Utd have signed in a £30M deal...
Chelsea have signed...
Fulham have signed....
Bolton have signed...
Spurs have signed...
etc.etc.

But no mention EVER of "Everton have signed...."
Alan Clarke
30   Posted 26/08/2010 at 13:25:51

Eugene, I wish you did the press conferences. I would like to hear how many historical references and comparisons you could get in when talking about the possibility of signing a player.
Max Main
31   Posted 26/08/2010 at 13:31:58

Have to agree with Adam Fenlon (#20). Round was asked a question and gave about the most ambiguous answer he could have given. "We're happy with the squad. Something might happen, you never know." It's a nothing comment really. In these days of internet debate, people in the football world really can't say anything without it being scrutinised to a ridiculous extent. And perhaps the most important thing to remember is that footballers/ex-footballers/coaches etc are pretty much all dunces.

Not trying to criticise the thread or anything, just don't think too much should be made of Round's comments.
Neil Vaughan
32   Posted 26/08/2010 at 15:16:43

Sam...#1

Don't get your knickers in a twist about Obinna... I watched him regularly in La Liga last season. He played for a second rate Spanish outfit and he ISN'T that good....

As for Walters and/or Dembele... have never heard of either until this week so what makes you think they are decent or would make our squad any better...??
Andy Crooks
33   Posted 26/08/2010 at 18:18:43

Dave Wilson, we have quality central defenders at the club. David Moyes just needs to select them. I predict that before the window closes we will make a truly astonishing signing which will make every Evertonian respond with, WHO?
Karl Masters
34   Posted 26/08/2010 at 18:45:19

To all those banging on about a pacy winger, I think we have already found one in Magaye Gueye.

As for central defenders the best centreback partnership always looked to be Lescott and Jags with Yobo always prone to errors. However, we now have Heitinga for Lescott so should still be strong in that area.

I think the midfield have not given the sort of cover they used to with Carsley and then Neville being almost like another defender. I long for the days we could hold a 1-0 lead, but on the other hand many on here moaned we were poor to watch, which was true. We are certainly far more attack-minded these days.

I think the answer is 4-2-3-1 with Fellaini and Rodwell being the 2.

Eugene Ruane
35   Posted 26/08/2010 at 20:19:01

Chris you say...

"the papers/TV wouldn't be very happy as they have lots of space to fill"

And?

FUCK THEM!

'TV' imo is a BIG reason why we're so goosed as a club.

They're happy with a 'big four' and 'Super Sunday' and fat topless Geordies.

They don't give a fuck if the richest clubs keep getting richer.

The keep it going.

But if the 'other' clubs (including us!) had more balls, they'd realise that the big four can't play each other every week and INSIST on a fairer league.

And as for the papers - lies, lies and more lies or... maybe we ARE swapping Shergar for Lord Lucan (or whatever the bullshit invented rumour of the day is)

So fuck em - like Duncan, I wouldn't tell them the time.

Roberto Birquet
36   Posted 27/08/2010 at 02:49:37

18 Gary
Mancini "All our business is done... ok just one wafer thin mint then... £36m"
----------------
Ha ha, that got me. nice one!
Anthony Hughes
37   Posted 27/08/2010 at 08:04:48

TV is not one of the big reasons why were goosed as a club, our useless board is THE big reason why were goosed as a club. Without the Sky money where would the vast majority of our income come from?
Gary Hegarty
38   Posted 27/08/2010 at 07:47:49

Roberto.....outstanding name sir. I'd love to be a mate of yours just so I could say "Yeah I'm friends with Roberto" - it would give a real continental feel and allow me to believe I had a yacht in Monaco....ok that now sounds like a little bit of stalking.
Anyway....glad you approve!!