Aren't we all frustrated, Bill?

After reading about Bill Kenwright's frustrations regarding disappearing investors in the Echo and on the Official site last night, I have to say it left me feeling just a little uneasy.

Not at the failure to attract investment so much, but rather the fact that Everton seem, according to Bill, to attract a disproportionate number of timewasters. I am quite happy to agree that there are a lot of dodgy characters in and around football today but, if dodgy 'investors' are attracted to Everton so frequently and so readily, then maybe the Club needs to examine how it behaves in it's own right when such approaches are made and to research just why those potential investors disappear.

If a business continually fails to win contracts, it will have no option but to re-examine its business methods. If an individual is consistently refused finance, then he or she will inevitably have to consider why this is the case. It has to be the same for the Club.

It seems very unlikely to me, even if only statistically, that every potential investor interested in Everton is an unsavoury character and a timewaster and I can't help wondering whether the real reason for their constant withdrawals is that there is something wrong with what Everton, or Bill, are asking for.

I personally have no great desire for a Sheikh to aquire this Club; all I would be satisfied with is an improved stadium and a transfer pot each summer sufficient for us to keep moving forward. But Bill has to remember that supporters are investors too, and the most reliable ones at that, and while we don't have a 'legal' right to know what the Club's intentions and wishes are regarding investment, he should consider and decide that supporters do have a moral right to such information. Otherwise, in the firm belief that not every investor who approaches the Club can possibly be a lying, cheating gangster, I will have no choice but to consider that the Club is run by a gang of idiots.

Come clean Bill. Exactly what kind of investment are you looking for and is it your wish to be carried out of Goodison feet first or not at all?
Dave Roberts, Runcorn     Posted 27/08/2010 at 09:59:31

Comments

Alan Clarke
1   Posted 27/08/2010 at 14:09:48

Is it true that both the new owners of Sunderland and Randy Lerner both looked at Everton first? Were they turned away because they were dodgy looking or deemed unsavoury characters?

O'Neill's net spend with Lerner in charge was in the region of £80 million. The guys in charge of Sunderland have provided far more funds than Bill has made available to Moyes. What has been Moyes's net spend with Kenwright in charge?

I agree Dave, there will be time wasters but I imagine Kenwright dismisses some genuine investors or buyers because he doesn't want to lose control of his toy.
Charlie Percival
2   Posted 27/08/2010 at 14:14:07

I haven't even read this post, I'll go off the title. I don't want anyone else in charge of the club apart from David Moyes and Bill Kenwright. Their relationship is worth billions anyway.

Look at the yanks, arabs etc, their so good for these clubs, aren't they.

Why go for a quiick fix when we have a long-term strategy? We will be back amongst the best, we already have progressed at an alarming rate in the past 8 years when I was more expectant of our relegastion battle luck to run out and us to be in League One/Two by now.

In Blue Bill and Messiah Moyes I trust.
Roberto Birquet
3   Posted 27/08/2010 at 14:14:29

What has been Moyes's net spend with Kenwright in charge?
---------------
about £30 million on fees over eight years, but wages have also gone up.

Villa have gone ballistic on wages. O'Neill was profligate, and is overrated.

Let's hope we get a winger by next week, and Pienaar signs. But jeez at least one of above, please.
Anthony Hughes
4   Posted 27/08/2010 at 14:18:06

Charlie, behave yourself mate.
Jay Harris
5   Posted 27/08/2010 at 14:36:35

Another one of Blue Bill's Porkies.

It is standard practice to show proof of funds before any negotiations with the Chairman or the board.

I notice no comment from Keith Harris on Kenwright's latest effort to justify his existence.

What saddens me is how many are sucked in by this charlatan.

If he was so Blue and in the absence of his Billionaire takeover, why doesn't he do the decent thing and have a rights issue?

Looking for investment 24/7 for the last 10 years???
Ciarán McGlone
6   Posted 27/08/2010 at 14:32:20

Charlie...

Try reading the article before commenting on it. It may prevent you from talking bollocks; however, I have my doubts.

I don't believe a word of this latest piece of theatre from our beloved Bill. It strikes me as quite a coincidence that this admission about 'dodgy' investors follows hot on the heels of his previous assertion that he turns away 6 or 7 investors a year. An admission that seemed rather off the cuff and that generated a collective gnashing of teeth... My first impression is that it's simply a PR clean-up.

However, what is particularly infuriating about this particular piece of spin, is that he tries to insinuate that these things progress quite far before the obligatory 'dodgy' investor is found out with an old reporters trick [asking him for his money].

Now this suggestion has one of two logical inferences:

a) He is treating us like idiots and trying to con us into believing these things actually get quite far without the due dilligence of proving an ability to pay .... or,

b) The club officials who are actually in charge of these things (and it sounds like uncle Bill is slap bang in the middle of it) are actually performing as the financial equivalent of the Keystone Cops...

Either way, someone's being mugged off.

Shaun Brennan
7   Posted 27/08/2010 at 14:57:55

It suprises me how many people claiming to be millionaires and not having the money actually getting close to speaking to Kenwright in the first place? Is he really that desperate and stupid? Or do he think we are?

I think it is the latter. Again, useless garbage that winds people up coming from Kenwright's mouth. He's getting as predictable as Osman and Neville now with what he spouts.
Tony J Williams
8   Posted 27/08/2010 at 15:11:08

I imagine this post to go the way of the past several hundred Billy Liar posts, allegations ? counter allegations, ad nauseum...

People are all too ready to call him a liar, just because he has told porkies before, it doesn't mean that every single thing he says is a lie. You only have to look at the bullshitter trying to buy the RedShite, he is allegedly getting done for embezzlement. How did he get to the table then? Full disclosure doesn't occur at the start of negotiations, so why is it that so many call Bill a liar, even without any shred of proof either way?
Michael Kenrick
9   Posted 27/08/2010 at 15:30:04

Tony, I think it's called "previous".
Anthony Hughes
10   Posted 27/08/2010 at 15:37:52

He's full of it, Tony, I feel embarrassed for him when I hear him prattling on. He'd be better off keeping his mouth shut.
Tony J Williams
11   Posted 27/08/2010 at 15:40:16

No doubt he has it but it doesn't mean everything he says is a lie. Unfortunately some people will not believe him no matter what, even if there were to be substantial proof backing him up.

There is more likely than not some made-up info in there but I tend to believe that there will be bullshitters wasting his time, probably not as many as he says though.
Ian Mullin
12   Posted 27/08/2010 at 16:06:08

I'm with Charlie, there are far too many Kenwright bashers.... look at Liverpool, they are crippled with debts. Do you want an owner to pour money into the club then walk away leaving it in ruins... a la Portsmouth? Yes, I would like an investor... but only if he/she is Everton through and through and totally committed to Everton.
David Hallwood
13   Posted 27/08/2010 at 16:14:54

I go along with Jay Harris (#5) that, if he (which actually means we) are getting nowhere with an investor, then alternative investment must be explored, and the only option being a rights issue in which ever form it takes.

I was re-reading an piece written by Michael Kenrick some years ago in which he stated that the major shareholders are hostile to any dilution of their shareholdings; however the club is rapidly reaching the point where the decsion could be taken away from them.

David Thomas
14   Posted 27/08/2010 at 16:23:34

Jay,

You mention no comment from Keith Harris in your post. Keith Harris actually did an interview recently and said more or less the same as Kenwright. He said two British bids came in to the club but when it came to showing they had the funds both bidders backed away.
Gavin Ramejkis
15   Posted 27/08/2010 at 17:21:58

Surely if the club are paying Orville's mate to find us buyers/investors, no doubt at some handsome fee, then he can fucking find out if they have money before he says lets get talking to the club, or is that a little too obvious??? Keith Harris seems to be pimping a lot of teams about including the RS, surely he knows a blagger when he sees one?
Thor Sørensen
16   Posted 27/08/2010 at 17:03:45

I'm considering coming over from Norway to watch the home games v Bolton(nov.10) and Arsenal(nov.14).

Maybe I should get in touch with Kenwright a few weeks in advance and present myself as a billionaire potential investor?

My arrival a month or so before the January transfer window will surely please him, and I'll enjoy getting invited to watch a game from the excecutive boxes and enjoy some pre-match hospitality, all expences covered of course, as Kenwright pampers his umpteenth wannabe-investor.

Who knows, if I play my hand right in this, I might even get shown around Finch Farm, and meet Moyes and some of the players.

Now, where's my suit and tie?
Charles King
17   Posted 27/08/2010 at 18:02:05

Liverpool FC appear to magic up potential buyers as soon as the for sale sign goes up, Blackburn ditto, Evertonians begin to rub their dozy eyes muttering "what the fucks.....etc".

Cue kenwright with earnest face "The reason we have'nt blah blah........."

Evertonians back to sleep.
Paul Olsen
18   Posted 27/08/2010 at 18:26:04

Things are not looking so fantastic right now for the much adored Lerner(at least he is adored in here)

As for Liverpool, they seem to have more than enough to fend of more shady buyers like this last chinese guy. That should actually mean something as they were more than willing to spread their legs for the former "dictator" of Thailand a couple of years ago.
John Daley
19   Posted 27/08/2010 at 19:01:42

Ignoring the fact he's an incompetent, deluded dreamer and notorious teller of tall tales, he's also just excruciatingly embarrassing.

Whenever I see, or hear, him being interviewed it reminds me of being a young kid and bumping into your arl fella whilst out and about with a new girlfriend. You just wish he'd do the decent thing, keep his fucking mouth shut and keep on walking.

Check out his interview on Everton tv for an 'amusing' anecdote about Moyes fannying about with a fax machine when trying to sign Fellaini on deadline day, and the worst impression of a Scotsman you're likely to hear for a very, very long time.
Jeff Armstrong
20   Posted 27/08/2010 at 19:37:58

Point is, Moyes continually seems not to smell the bullshit, what does it say about him? Think it's the missing of the bleedin obvious, like:

Neville cannot pass a ball;
Hibbert cannot cross a ball; Bily is shit;
Jags should keep it simple when in possesion;
Coleman is the current best choice for wide right mid,
Baines needs Pienaar;
Pienaar needs Baines, Beckford AND Saha;
Howard needs to dominate his area.

Moyes needs to log on to Toffeeweb, this management lark is easy as long as you keep it simple, uncomplicated, and do not spite yourself to make it look like a science.

Brendan O'Doherty
21   Posted 27/08/2010 at 20:26:27

"Moyes needs to log on to Toffeeweb, this management lark is easy as long as you keep it simple"

Ah yes Jeff, the fountains of football knowledge that are the readers of TW, know a lot more about the game than those who have spent their whole lives in it, watching players train six or seven days a week.

It's so obvious I can't believe I didn't think of it before!
Fans know more than coaches - of course!

Oiver Molloy
22   Posted 27/08/2010 at 20:22:03

If I was one of these investors that had approached EFC and BK referred to me as "dodgy" when I knew I was genuine , and had my money ready to go I wouldn't be to happy with being put in the same bracket as other "dodgy" investors.I would say this would be libel?
The fact that BK has said this on a few occasions and not one of these so called investors has come forward to challenge his comments seems to me that he may be speaking some truths?
Gavin Ramejkis
23   Posted 27/08/2010 at 20:39:38

Oliver to be libel or defamation of character he would have to name and shame them, spurious or fictitional buyers/investors can't take you to court.
Brendan O'Doherty
24   Posted 27/08/2010 at 20:34:07

There a lot of interesting points in your post Dave, especially the one about whether we are actually for sale or not. These potential 'investors' can't all be undesirable or suspect characters.Questions need answering but it is unlikely that they will be.

I always remember BK's interview at the CL draw in the summer of 2004. He was being asked by the reporter about the us getting Villareal, and his response had me cringing with embarrassment. It was along the lines of

'it doesn't really matter, we as Evertonians are just soooo glad to be here. Look, there were some supporters who turned up at the draw because they just HAD to be here.'

It was as if he hadn't quite taken in yet that we had achieved this 3 months ago. He hadn't considered for 1 minute the need to build on the achievement with investment in the team, otherwise we were going to be badly shown up in the group stages.

And we all know what happened next.
Oiver Molloy
25   Posted 27/08/2010 at 20:41:50

Hey Gavin, yes, you are correct... but you're missing my point, if, as BK says, numerous "investors" had approached him and after talks etc he realises that they have not got the funds required and all talks cease.

Let's say that I was one of these investors and I had spoken with BK, declaring my interest in buying the club, AND showed that I had the funds and still nothing happened... i would certainly want to tell my side of the story ? do you get me?

John Otway
26   Posted 27/08/2010 at 21:36:03

If our chairman and board had any business acumen whatsoever, we would be watching our team in the Kings Dock (Microsoft/Nike etc,) Arena with Wayne Rooney leading our latest assault on Europe. Bill, I don't believe that Chang or Terry Leahy don't have the contacts you need. It's your train set and you want to remain as The Fat Controller.
Darren Dempsey
27   Posted 27/08/2010 at 22:04:55

Sniff, sniff, sniff ? you can just smell the Bull!!
Gareth Hughes
28   Posted 27/08/2010 at 22:09:42

Just a little observation, and I speak as someone is definitely anti - Kenwright. I made a point of looking up at the directors box afetr Beckford put his penalty away on Wednesday. No one in that directors box even bothered to stand up to applaud. Kenwright the 'great' Evertonian must love sitting there on his throne with the Goodison equivalent of the Queen Mother, SIR Philip Carter sitting alongside him. It really is jobs for the boys and has been for far too long. For whatever reason Evertonians are not militant by nature, strange in a city like ours. Until we awake from our cosy slumbers and stop being taken in by Kenwrights performances nothing will change.
Robert Daniels
29   Posted 27/08/2010 at 21:58:54

The RS had a lucky escape, by nearly being owned by that Thai despot!

Where did he go, and who did he sell his shares to? Man City's gain was the Shite's loss.

Thank fuck it didn't happen to them, imagine them being the richest club in the world, it doesn't bear thinking about.

Anyway they got Abbot and Costello, fucking priceless!

Think at the derby we should have a petition to play the American national anthem, in honour of our Goalkeeper; we could all sing it and do their heads in!

Altogether now,

OOOH Say Can YOOU Seee !

By the way, he's not called Bill Talkshite for nothing!
Darren Dempsey
30   Posted 27/08/2010 at 22:32:40

Kenny Huang's business partner has stated they are now no longer interested in buying LFC, but they are still interested in buying a Premier League club but refused to say which one!

Any ideas? Will BK do the right thing? Would you want to be 2nd choice? For me it's a no-brainer!

Noel Lynam
31   Posted 27/08/2010 at 22:29:40

More or less agree with Ciaran, except for the comments on Charlie ;-)

For those who ask why Kenwright is attracting timewasters - well, birds of a feather....
Gavin Ramejkis
32   Posted 27/08/2010 at 22:31:38

Oliver, my point in responding is that BK has form for statements and claims that Walter Mitty would cringe at. If he is so besmirched by these blaggers then surely he should take the opportunity to out them? He hasn't and I don't care for anything the guy has to say even remotely resembling the truth.

Gareth I gave up ever sitting in the Main Stand near the parasite brigade because the stewards let you know pretty sharpish if your celebrations or contention for the referees upset BK's luvvies and parasitic hangers on, I'd rather sit with the humans and real fans elsewhere in the ground.
Robert Daniels
33   Posted 27/08/2010 at 22:42:54

We should hang the stars and stripes all around goodison, flags everywere, maybe even a photo of Abbot and Costello on that throne Rafa used to sit on, cheerleaders, tickertape, fireworks, you know a real American, over the top, welcome for are neighbours.

Bit like them with their tesco fucking bags.

Oh,and thanks for that Bill.
Dick Fearon
34   Posted 27/08/2010 at 22:26:00

Gareth #27. Sweet Jesus! is Bill some kind of anti christ for not standing to applaud a penalty goal against a lower division side.
RS fans who are sick and tired of having their hopes raised and dashed know the world is full of shonky investors.
When these shady characters are asked to put their money where their mouth is they quickly disapear.
Unlike the RS fiasco Bill K is astute enough to sort these frauds out before giving us false hope.
To even mention their names is to give them undeserved publicity.
Ste Traverse
35   Posted 27/08/2010 at 22:44:27

Kenwright has been saying the same things for 10 years now,looking for investment etc. It was only in March in those embarrassing interviews he does with his cronies at the Echo that there was '3 or 4' interested partys circling the club regarding investment. Wonder what came of those?

After 10 years failing to find what this club is crying out for its time he stepped down. But that will never happen with his massive ego.
David Price
36   Posted 27/08/2010 at 22:45:14

Problem with the directors box, it's full of people dying to cheer but don't feel it's the right and proper thing to do.

Back in '83, in the run up to the League Cup Final, we had a replay versus West Ham. My boss at work got us a ticket so he could get pissed and have a driver. Not aware of the does and don'ts, other than turn up in shirt and tie, by the end of extra time and Everton winning a great game 2-0, I had most of the "guests" following my lead and screaming and shouting as Sheeds slotted home.

Never got another invite since mind...

Come on Bill, get me and the bloke who was chucked out of City's bling seats to get 'em going, no problem.

Dick Fearon
37   Posted 27/08/2010 at 23:08:08

Re my previous # 32. Your average con man would love 'attempted purchaser of Everton FC' on his CV.
John McLoughlin
38   Posted 27/08/2010 at 23:51:18

Kenwright does not want to sell the club, Anybody who would pump millions into our club and let BK stay in charge would have to be mental.
Ste Traverse
39   Posted 28/08/2010 at 00:02:33

Exactly John. They'd only have to look at his catalogue of cock-ups and they'd be putting their money away.

Yet its clear thats the sort of arrangment BK is looking for,someone to hand over big bucks and still let him call the shots.
Brendan McLaughlin
40   Posted 28/08/2010 at 00:25:56

Right, John & Ste... That's why we are getting regular reports of buyers who would have invested "billions" if only BK had stepped aside!
Ciarán McGlone
41   Posted 28/08/2010 at 00:30:06

You can't tell your side of the story if you don't exist Oliver.
Chad Schofield
42   Posted 28/08/2010 at 00:23:09

Well there's some beauts in here (Admitedly paraphrased):

- Not read it but... (shall we just ignore what you're saying, Charlie)
- just because Bill's lied doesn't mean everything he says is a lie... (obvious use of the Hitler argument)... But I don't entirely believe him
- Look at Portsmouth/RS (again)

Years of saying no one's interested in buying football clubs, Bill has had to change tune after it's quite apparent that people are... Now they're the wrong kind. I to think that, while Bill won't get sued, he may well find this line turns around and bites him after an alleged dodgey potential investor speaks out or KH says "if you're not buying, then I will serve someone else instead". As pointed out, Sunderland and Villa's money men have both indicated that they considered Everton first.
Eric Myles
43   Posted 28/08/2010 at 07:06:04

"Bill constantly talks about investment as opposed to the selling of the Club and I do wonder if this is the sticking point and the reason for the breakdown in negotiations. Could it be that they want to buy and he wants them to pump money into the Club while leaving everything and everybody else in situ?"
----------------------------------
Nail, head, hit.
James Stewart
44   Posted 28/08/2010 at 11:11:42

Ciaran's right, someone is being mugged ? and it's us!

Does anyone seriously listen to a word this idiot says? I personally find him an embarrassment to the club whenever he opens his mouth.
Oiver Molloy
45   Posted 28/08/2010 at 14:53:27

Hey Ciarán, post 40... that is exactly right, which is my point ? a genuine investor with the criteria that BK is asking for has to date not come forward.

What the criteria is to buy the club, we don't know!! ? which is frustrating. He may well have spoken to numerous money men, but you and I don't know what he and P Green etc are asking potential investors for in terms of money.

It's obvious to anyone that anyone who has invested money in the club will want a profit from their investment. But this is another debate we can all have. You may not agree with what BK says, but I firmly believe he would not want the club to end up in the wrong hands simply to make a profit ? the man is true blue.

Roy Coyne
46   Posted 01/09/2010 at 00:00:47

I have no wish to bash Bill again but I can't understand people coming on here to make a case for him. Ok he loves Everton that is really the only plus for him. Any one who lies to the fans like he has and made the mistakes he has cannot expect people to invest without him stepping down, I don't think he wants to go and is hanging on to Moyes coat tail as without him he would be forced out, he praises Dave to high heaven but it's backing in the market not pats on the back that's needed. 24/7my arse!