Members:   Log In Sign Up

Leon Osman: Future Everton Legend!!!!

We see Radcliffe, Sharp, Horne, Kendall et al around the club regularly and read pieces in papers, websites, all over the place from these ex-players & managers, and they are known as legends to us all. Well, I predict that in 10 years Osman will be one of the players writing about us, speaking at dinners and looking after us at Goodison. Why? because he is a modern day Everton legend.

Legend is used all too frequently in the modern game, I know, and if you compared him against Ball, Steven, Southall, then no, he is not... but we all seem to think Cahill is a Legend, Jagielka and Arteta too ? well, what about Osman? 210 senior starts and netting 34 goals in that time is a very good record for someone who came through the youth system at a time when teams except United didn't use their young players very much.

He will start on Sunday, I'm sure of that ? especially reading Rounds quotes on the OS... and he will give his all because Everton is his club, he's a blue and always will be and that shows through to fans like myself who don't look for the negatives but look for the truth. He's a good footballer with great awareness and skill and best of all he's a true blue. All hail King Ossie, modern day legend.
Andrew Fair, Ashton, Northants     Posted 27/08/2010 at 13:31:48

Comments

Michael Kenrick
1   Posted 27/08/2010 at 14:21:52

Haha, very funny. Good wind-up!
Alan Clarke
2   Posted 27/08/2010 at 14:26:53

You're right, legend is too frequently used.
Roy Rennison
3   Posted 27/08/2010 at 14:28:56

A bit harsh that, Michael. Osman is a good central midfielder who through no fault of his own is being played out wide. Give the lad a break!
John Boden
4   Posted 27/08/2010 at 14:26:32

An obvious wind up or you have just had it away from your'e local 'Ashworth'!

IMO Osman always has and always will be a liability, doesn't do anything for me... Legend, my arse ? and an insult to the likes of Alan Ball, Alex Young and so on. When they were about, Osman wouldn't be allowed in the same city, never mind team. Sorry Andrew but I'd rather play with 10 men than Osman, fucking shite, end of!

Anthony Hughes
5   Posted 27/08/2010 at 14:30:25

Playing a couple of hundred games over 10 years doesn't make you a legend, otherwise that would apply to hundreds of footballers.

A good pro is what Ossie's been and nothing more.
Andrew Fair
6   Posted 27/08/2010 at 14:34:46

John read the post properly mate. I never said he was a legend when compared with Ball. In modern terms the way legend is thrown about he is. He is a one club man and would die for his team and fans. We're lucky to have people like him in and amongst the club.
Michael Kenrick
7   Posted 27/08/2010 at 14:32:52

Oh, I see where you're getting this, Andrew. A talk-up piece straight off the Official Website. Nice.

So aren't you one of the people who thinks fan sites like this have little to no impact on management thinking inside Goodison Park? I mean where else would you get the impression that Osman is "unsung", and feel the need to come out with this guff:

"I think sometimes he doesn't quite get the credit he deserves because he hasn't got the flashness of one or two of the others in some of his play. But he does the work, he's got great quality and I was really pleased with him tonight."" ? Steve Round.

There are many valid reason why he's "unsung". We all know them ad nauseam, unfortunately. It's wonderful that he does all this great work on the training ground but for Everton, on the field of play (the only place it matters) he wavers between "ineffective" and "totally bloody useless".

Now, can I say "End of." and close this silly thread?
Alan Clarke
8   Posted 27/08/2010 at 14:42:39

Michael, are you saying Andrew Fair is in fact Steve Round?
Andrew Fair
9   Posted 27/08/2010 at 14:40:50

If you notice, Kenrick, I do refer to the OS and Round's quotes in the article. After reading this I felt I would take this piece along with my own input and bring it to the ToffeeWebbers for a debate. I knew it would get abuse but I didn't think it would provoke such a response from you. Maybe my next article should be on the negative impact of Mucha starting for us on Sunday, that would get your blood boiling.
Shaun Brennan
10   Posted 27/08/2010 at 14:46:11

"Legends are material to be moulded, and not facts to be recorded. "

With the fact being that Osman is not very good.
Michael Kenrick
11   Posted 27/08/2010 at 14:49:05

So, Andrew, as I said, wind-up?

You knew it would get a reaction. Stop being so precious.
Tony Hughes
12   Posted 27/08/2010 at 14:50:07

Ossie a legend? Hahaha, even his mother would laugh at that pearler!! What have you been drinking, Andrew??
Andrew Fair
13   Posted 27/08/2010 at 14:50:11

What, are we not allowed to put our opinions forward in order to gauge peoples views and or opinions! Its not for a reaction I just knew one would come. I, unfortunately for the majority of ToffeeWebbers am a positive Everton fan and I am not anti-Moyes, BK and the likes. So if my views on Osman already provoke you then I'm looking forward to my positivity being shot down very soon.
Steven Pendleton
14   Posted 27/08/2010 at 14:58:40

Hahahahahaha. Fuckin funniest thing I've read in a while thanks Andrew. Cheers mate.
Ciarán McGlone
15   Posted 27/08/2010 at 15:00:56

Osman is not a good central midfielder... let's put this myth to bed. Everytime he plays out wide, he drifts into the middle and plays there ? and is still crap.

Legend? You're having a laugh!
Paul Fuller
16   Posted 27/08/2010 at 15:03:57

It is possible to be one of two things to a club, both no doubt an honor and a title you have to earn, but there is a key difference between the two.

A Great Servant ? is exactly what it says, only time, effort and genuinely showing you have Heart and are here to make a difference week-in, week-out, not just drawing a salary. For me, Osman, Hibbert etc. A Great Servant is still a massive honor and incredibly hard to earn.

A Legend ? All of the above, plus a rare natural talent and preferable some form of success i.e. a cup, a title, or hopefully international status.

Plus, only time will tell, are we still talking about you within the walls of ToffeeWeb Towers in ten years time? Tomasz Radzinski used to be my favorite player, but I have not heard his name within these walls for sometime and nor do I wish to under any of the above.

Osman ? Ten years and we will see.
Andrew Fair
17   Posted 27/08/2010 at 15:13:42

I agree with you Paul completely. But that's what I am saying. Legends used to be someone who won things for a club who had that something extra. Like Ryan Giggs at United for example. From my generation (I'm 25) our legend Is Big Dunc; many Evertonians worship him as a legend and I'm one of them. I still have numerous shirts with his name on the back and still go on YouTube just too watch him. Where though in the grand scheme of things is the difference between Ossie and Dunc? Big Dunc won the FA Cup but not so much to do with him that time. So if Big Dunc is a modern legend, then surely ossie is too?
Christopher McCullough
18   Posted 27/08/2010 at 15:29:38

Being dead is a necessity to the description 'legend'.

In the mean time he is a great squad player.
Matthew Tait
19   Posted 27/08/2010 at 15:30:53

Andrew, one of your problems seems to be that you've got a far too generous definition of 'legend' - in my view, for all their qualities as good players and solid club men, very few people would consider Cahill or Arteta legends yet. Let alone Jagielka which is just ridiculous.

Cahill, Arteta and Jags are very good club pros. Osman is a step below that - he's a good club pro. Nothing more, but nothing less. I'd give my rigth arm to be a good club pro at a club like Everton. Osman deserves a lot more respect that he often gets for his contribution and uncomplaining committment to the club.

That said, I think any reasonable definition of 'legend' has to mean more than just playing a lot of games and coming through the youth team. You need to be a standout player in your side. Hell you can be close to a legend without even being at the club very long as long as you're successful enough.

Osman wouldn't even make most people's first 11 and wouldn't have for some time (though as an aside I do remember the days many years ago when people would bemoan how Moyes never gave the lad a chance because he was supposedly too lightweight). So it seems pretty ludicrous to suggest he's legend. If Osman is a legend then someone like David Weir must be too!

I do agree though that he'll probably be showing people round the club and hosting dinners as a 'legend' in a few years, but that's only because of the taudry way that clubs try to market such events these days!
Anthony Millington
20   Posted 27/08/2010 at 16:03:03

Has Osman won anything? No. Is Osman a legend? No.
Steve Edwards
21   Posted 27/08/2010 at 16:07:39

It's times like this when I realize just how lucky I have been to have witnessed four League Championships for Everton in my time. It's not your fault, Andrew, you've been too young to have witnessed great teams with truely great players. I just hope that one day all young Evertonians will have had the privilege that I've had.

I really did think the article was a wind-up when I first read it!
Paul Fuller
22   Posted 27/08/2010 at 16:34:12

Andrew, you are totally right, although a point I should have added is, how key was that individual in the winning of that trophy, don't get me wrong, I like Osman, in fact a few seasons back when he scored against West Ham I taunted my West Ham Supporting friend (I live in Essex)with "Osman for England" cause at the time I thought it was possible, he was having a good season. But I think now he is an important part of a good team, but for me not the stinning light like Cahill, Arteta, Piennar.

I would love to be proved wrong, Come on Osman - be a legend !!!!
Terry Hayes
23   Posted 27/08/2010 at 16:51:49

Andrew, fair play, mate, you got us all giggling... had to read your post twice though (second time with my glasses on) to make sure I'd read it right first time. Good on yer, keep 'em coming.
Liu Weixian
24   Posted 27/08/2010 at 17:02:43

If Osman is a legend by virtue of his time at the club, so are Bill Kenwright and David Moyes.

Osman is a decent professional, but no more than that.
Nick Entwistle
25   Posted 27/08/2010 at 17:26:27

I'm not one to bash Hibbert and The Oz as their main problem is that together they have major weaknesses. If either were replaced with someone as good as those on the left, it would raise the individual's game.

Legend? No.
Chris Ashton
26   Posted 27/08/2010 at 17:27:50

Andrew, I agree with you. We may be the minority here but I do think that when Osman hangs up his boots he will be, well in my eyes, a legend to the club.

The way I look at it, he came through from a kid to hopefully retire at Everton. How many players actually do that these days? He could have left for a bigger pay packet, or even not too long ago for a regular team football.

So he may not be one of the all-time greats or he may not win us trophies single-handed. But in my eyes he will always play for the shirt, play where he is told and not complain. If he spends his whole career doing that here then yes he should be seen as a legend x amount of years down the line.

Ed Fitzgerald
27   Posted 27/08/2010 at 17:22:20

What makes a legend at Goodison... winning things? I'm not so sure.

Latchford and McKenzie are Everton legends to me and we never won anything, but they defined an era for me as a young Blue.

It is a daft assertion that Leon is a legend at the club and I expect he would think exactly the same too. He does however not deserve the slagging that he often gets particularly, when he is played out of position by the manager. He is a good professional who has served the club well.

Being called a legend is rather subjective as it is generally awarded to players retrospectively a number of years after they have finished. I think Cahill and Arteta may well go on to be considered legends by the youngsters who watch the Blues today when they are moaning about Everton sides of the future.
Gavin Ramejkis
28   Posted 27/08/2010 at 17:34:58

Andrew to be fair, Osman is an honest pro but not a legend, a half decent central midfielder but one who can be bowled off the ball far too easily. Oh, and in case you didnt know, he was brought up as a RS so don't go all starry-eyed claiming he is a dyed-in-the-wool blue.

Also, not your fault as you are too young to have seen anything approaching a great Everton side... but Osman isn't up to that standard.
Phil Bellis
29   Posted 27/08/2010 at 18:00:46

Mick Lyons - top class Evertonian who, unlike a luckier fan, Derek Mountfield, won nowt.

Having seen him giving everything for the Blues, either side of years when we had great sides, I really feel sorry for him.

As Ed says above, re the Latch, you don't have to have won something to be an Everton legend; depends on the era and the fans' personal viewpoints.

Barry Thompson
30   Posted 27/08/2010 at 18:21:19

Give Osman a break FFS, it can't be easy being a full time football pro and playing Sam Dingle in Emmerdale.
Andy Crooks
31   Posted 27/08/2010 at 18:26:53

Leon, is a good pro and an admirable Evertonian. However, did those who talked about top four or even winning the league really believe he could be part of the side that could do it?
Karl Masters
32   Posted 27/08/2010 at 18:50:52

34 Goals in 210 games is 1 every six matches.

Some of those goals have been last minute matchwinners too.

If only Pienaar could score at that rate........
John Daley
33   Posted 27/08/2010 at 18:46:48

"..he never calls Osman a legend now..".

What? Not even in the bit where he says "..because he is a modern day Everton legend" ?
Andy Morden
34   Posted 27/08/2010 at 19:16:10

Hmmm, to be pendantic...

The word legend has a few possible meanings. Dictionary.com offers nine! Two of which are:

1.a nonhistorical or unverifiable story handed down by tradition from earlier times and popularly accepted as historical.

7.a person who is the center of such stories: She became a legend in her own lifetime.

There are many stories about Osman, some verifiable, some a little more myth-like as Ciáran notes. But certaintly he is the centre of a number of stories on Toffeeweb; namely he's legendary for being shit / alright but not great. legendary for having a number of debates about his relative shitness stared on the internet. I concur Andrew, he is a legend! But for differing reasons...
Joe McMahon
35   Posted 27/08/2010 at 19:33:35

Rumour has it he was in line to take the title role of the 50s classic that Will Smith pipped him to... I AM LEGEND.

Yes Andrew he puts effort in, but he earns approx £20k a week for fuck's sake. He just isn't a premiership standard player, tahts why he impressed whilst on loan at Carlise.
Gerry Western
36   Posted 27/08/2010 at 19:52:15

As someone has already suggested he would have to be dead to be considered a legend. Consequently, I've had to think long and hard on this one as there is often a ghostly quality to many of his performances but I guess that would be stretching things a little too far so I'll have to go with the flow and say no.
Des Farren
37   Posted 27/08/2010 at 19:20:04

Osman is a good player, a statement most fair minded Evertonions would agree with. He has played over 200 games for Everton and scored 34 goals. He is a model pro, is often played out of position but invariably puts in a good shift with plenty of commitment. He is small by present day standards and can be dominated by big physical defenders.

He is no legend, nor is he" fucking shite" or"totally bloody useless". And I like him.

Joe Grundy
38   Posted 27/08/2010 at 20:00:22

Give Ossie his due, he has put years into the club, to be a legend you need to be one of the best players in your generation in a usually successful team (not always the case). ..

I can see where you are coming from in a way but Leon should not be played on the wing at all and should also be around 5th choice centre midfielder, he is a decent squad player but nothing else.

Brendan O'Doherty
39   Posted 27/08/2010 at 20:10:15

I agree with Paul Fuller (#16);

Great Servant - yes, legend - no, (well not yet anyway).

To call him crap is just disrespectful.
Dave Wilson
40   Posted 27/08/2010 at 20:21:16

Andy Crooks : Leon has done it before . . .with far less talented teamates than he has now.

My answer to your question is an emphatic yes, mabe not as a starter, but definitely a contributing member of the squad.

That said, let's hope he makes way on Sunday and Moyes finally goes with the suggestion you came up with long before it became everyone else's idea
Terry Hayes
41   Posted 27/08/2010 at 20:35:45

I think Moyes has done an amazing job of keeping hold of Osman. Just look at all the offers we've had for him from.... er.... and er...

Anyway, forget all them, he's chosen to stay; so... loyal? yes... Legend? Er, no. Just an average squad player for me.

Michael Evans
42   Posted 27/08/2010 at 20:47:48

Andrew - Sorry, I really can't agree with the Legend description.

However, I respect your right to think this and admire your courage for posting this on TW !

At the risk of being called an arse kisser, I also think that the TW Editorial team should be applauded for the way that they allow views to be expressed on here even if they vehemently oppose them.

Peter Bradshaw
43   Posted 27/08/2010 at 22:11:10

Comes under great legends like Alan Biley, Mick Ferguson, Mickey Walsh, Brett Angell, Bernie Wright, David Smallman, Michael Madar, Trevor Ross, George Telfer, Dave Clements, and the perfect match, I reckon Leon is the love child of Geoff Nulty
David Price
44   Posted 27/08/2010 at 22:20:19

Osman gets slated unfairly, on a par with the likes of Kevin Richardson, good player but Sheedy was better. Likewise, If Donovan was signed or Coleman devolops into, if not already, an attacking right midfielder, then Leon wouldn't get a look in. Our financial situation over recent times has ensured Osman got 200 games under his belt.

No arguements, he gives his all and loves the club, it's just that we want better than 8th / 5th and feel we are not faraway from achieving this with a right sided pacey attacker.

Eric Myles
45   Posted 28/08/2010 at 07:10:16

#18 Being dead is a necessity to the description 'legend'.
---------------------------------------------

So Christopher, you don't rate Dave Hickson, Joe Royle or Howard Kendall among Legend status then?
Chad Schofield
46   Posted 28/08/2010 at 00:22:56

I see, you're suggesting that, because of the modern use of the word is incorrect, that Osman is indeed a legend. Why would you be shouted down about this, for words are misused all the time... He truly is awesome, a god, a genius ? and I am a fucking racehorse.
Danny Broderick
47   Posted 28/08/2010 at 08:46:49

Osman is somewhere in the middle for me. He is neither crap nor a legend, he's a good club man who will probably be remembered fondly at the end of his career, a bit like most of our current team.

The term 'legend' is banded about far too freely, and as a body of fans we give out the term 'legend' far too easily. We should be more demanding and our legends should be the best of their generation before we consider them Everton legends, i.e. comparing them to other generations of Everton players.

We haven't had a legend since Neville Southall/Dave Watson in my opinion. We had flashes in the pan like big Dunc and Cottee, but surely to be a legend you have to be one of the all-time Everton greats?

Danny Broderick
48   Posted 28/08/2010 at 08:55:06

In time, Mikel Arteta may become an Everton legend, but not yet in my book...
James Stewart
49   Posted 28/08/2010 at 11:04:48

Wind-up merchant.

Osman is struggling to hold his place in the starting line-up, let alone be considered a legend. He doesn't deserve to start as Rodwell now should command a place.

He is being carried on favouritism. There have been some really stupid threads recently ? what's going on!
Christopher McCullough
50   Posted 28/08/2010 at 13:14:41

Eric# 44

I rate those players highly. I was being sarcastic to highlight the long way Leon falls short of the contributor's claim, I'm afraid.

A legend, in the proper dictionary sense, must be dead.
John McLoughlin
51   Posted 28/08/2010 at 19:18:30

Osman an Everton legend!!!! This is why I feel so sorry for lots of Everton fans who have never seen a great Everton side that average players get elevated to such a high status.
Stephen Kenny
52   Posted 28/08/2010 at 20:18:07

The ghost of Goodison Park? If Paul Daniel's could do Leon's disappearing act he'd still be on the tele!

As other's have said a good servant, nothing more.
David Hallwood
53   Posted 29/08/2010 at 01:39:44

Osman reminds me of Kevin Richardson or Alan Harper, decent, no good players that could come in and do a job. Legend? no keep that for the likes of Alan Ball and possibly Southall & Reid in the 'modern' era.