The Pink away kit... why pink?

The followng quote has been lifted from the BBC website:

"Wigan manager Roberto Martinez has identified the reason for the Latics' dismal away form last season, putting it down to a fashion faux-pas. "We always blame the orange kit for our away performances last season," he said. "We never won a game with that kit."

Some may say Martinez is on the final chapter of his "Why Wigan are Crap" excuse book, or maybe this highlights the need for a player to feel comfortable and confident in what they are wearing.

When the Pink kit was released, I just couldn't believe it. What was the thinking behind it? Show me a man who would feel comfortable going out on the town wearing a shirt that colour.

An easy away kit colour for us has always been a safe White or Yellow. So why automatically put the team on the backfoot at an away game in a bloody fluorescent pink kit?

Some may say, "Shut up, these are professional footballers and it shouldn't matter what kit they are wearing". But given the sports psychology of wearing something that bloody bad, coupled with the hostile ridicule the player will ednure at away grounds, surely Le Coq Sport should be made to question the logic of such a bad design decision.

I just can't bloody understand it!
Daniel Johnson, Newcastle UK     Posted 28/08/2010 at 15:37:45

Comments

Martin Berry
1   Posted 28/08/2010 at 16:30:39

Couldn't agree more. What idiot thought that a pink shirt would sell by the thousands. I was shot down on another thread some weeks ago because I said I'd not seen anyone around with the new top on. I was told to open my eyes. Well I did and have still only seen the odd one. What a joke.
Nick Entwistle
2   Posted 28/08/2010 at 16:43:48

I can understand a dandy fop Frenchman designing it, but someone in blue must have given it the thumbs up?
Michael Kenrick
3   Posted 28/08/2010 at 16:43:24

The decision has to be someone at the Club, though; I can't believe LCS would be left to choose the colours... then again, crazier stories have abounded. Given the greater consciousness of our history, I am sure the choice was driven by the historical connection to pink in our early strips. But this interpretation is pretty horrible to my jaundiced eye.

Nick Entwistle
4   Posted 28/08/2010 at 17:00:11

I'm at an age where, as we are Everton, the second strip should only ever be yellow with an electric blue zig zag running round.

Robert Warzycha certainly cut a dash in that one.
Karl Jones
5   Posted 28/08/2010 at 17:10:34

Agree with Michael. Amber-Blue-Amber, in the same design as the current Home kit.

The new away kit is another Everton marketing disaster. A lot of supporters just won't buy it.
John McLoughlin
6   Posted 28/08/2010 at 17:10:51

The away kit is horrible, the club are not arsed as we get the same amount if we sell 1 or 1 million, BK moans about not being able to get fans to spend more money on merchandice then ok's that kit and a deal which does not encourage casual fans to spend money on club gear.
James Cadwaladr
7   Posted 28/08/2010 at 17:35:08

Agree with the amber-blue-amber in the design as this year's kit but I actually like the pink kit.
Colin Ryan
8   Posted 28/08/2010 at 18:16:48

Last season's away kit was class... Did we ever lose in it? Don't think so. We should have kept it for 2 seasons and stop ripping us off every season with 2/3 new kits! I'm angry coz Aberdeen ruined my fecking 4-team accum.
Jon Beck
9   Posted 28/08/2010 at 18:28:28

=================================

Have you seen the colour of some of their boots? This place gets more like an episode of "Grumpy Old Men" by the day. I'm 47, married, 4 kids and happily wear the pink kit out. Why would the players give a toss? Won't it make it easier to pick each other out a la Croatia's blond hair thing? Didn't Chelsea win the league in lime green away shirts? Why is it people complain about a lack of commercial savvy then moan when someone tries something different? Look around and see how many pink shirts have been sold and are being worn, not everyone wants traditional!
John McLoughlin
10   Posted 28/08/2010 at 18:38:20

Not many have been seen wearing it at either of our home games this season compared with previous away kits. the colour, the design, the manufacturer are all crap. A cheap company that befits our club image.
Joseph Strumm
11   Posted 28/08/2010 at 18:40:31

Get shut of the pink monstrosity and restore the amber and blue.
James McGrady
12   Posted 28/08/2010 at 18:38:59

What a load of crap. Last season we had a black and pink kit, did we even lose a game in it? I don't think so.

I'd rather have amber, but I hardly think footballers a going to be mentally at a disadvantage playing in colour because society says its for girls. Some people have closed minds.

Stade de France play in pink and are one of the most successful French rugby sides. They don't start crying when they have to go in for a scrum because of the colour of their jersey.
Chris Wilson
13   Posted 28/08/2010 at 18:21:05

Kinda as an aside note. Psychologically, there have been studies that link the color pink as a means of passifying aggressive behavior. It's somtimes used in detention centers and jails to calm people down.

One of the great stories in American college football is how the former University of Iowa football coach, Hayden Fry, had the visitors' locker room painted pink because he thought it would put his opponents in a "passive mood" as it is "considered by some to be a sissy color".

Of course Fry was coaching Iowa during the uber-conservative 80s, so he was pretty old school and hardcore. But Iowa was always tough to beat at home. Anyone who saw us against Blackburn would have to agree that we seemed a little to "blah" emotionally in that game. Not saying it's the reason, just adding to the convo...

Tony I'Anson
14   Posted 28/08/2010 at 19:06:14

Chris, there are a few working men's pubs and social halls where this theory could be put to the test in order to reduce anti-social behaviour. They could get government grants for it!

The only way we will know if it was a terrible idea is during the close season of 2011-12 when the new away kit is launched. If there are no shades of pink on it, we will know this has been a commercial disaster.

What is the gross profit margin per unit? I'd say about £36 per shirt.

So for the colour pink in lost revenue, could be £36 x 10,000 = £360,000 or thereabouts.
Tony I'Anson
15   Posted 28/08/2010 at 19:16:17

But my wife loves the colour and has the Everton hat and scalf. She happily wears it around the town in winter. And I feel so proud.
Nick Entwistle
16   Posted 28/08/2010 at 19:15:47

Jon #9. That's Romania with the blond hair... and they lost :)
Stuart O'Malley
17   Posted 28/08/2010 at 19:08:07

With all this talk of the pink kit not being a good seller, does anyone actually have any stats to back up this claim? Or is it just that the people who make such statements do not like it personally?
Brendan O'Doherty
18   Posted 28/08/2010 at 19:28:01

"We are Everton: the second strip should only ever be amber shirts and dark blue shorts."

Definitely. Something else we agree on Michael.
Jay Harris
19   Posted 28/08/2010 at 19:30:55

Without wishing to be too sexist, why can't we make it the away kit for the ladies team and revert to the "black watch" kit.

Come on, Bill, you've got enough disasters on your hands ... pull the plug on this awful kit before it's too late.
Cathal Naughton
20   Posted 28/08/2010 at 19:28:12

I remember the 4th place season away kit was Black if I'm not mistaken. It seems to be a winning color for the Toffee's.

I think the club have yet again made a marketing error with this pink monstrosity. Saying that, they may make a giant killing if Kitbag decide to setup stands at gay parades and Mr Blobby/Barney The Dinosaur conventions.

Mark Griffiths
21   Posted 28/08/2010 at 19:39:45

Horrible kit!
Here's an idea, why don't the club when looking into possible designs put forward 3 examples of what they are looking at in terms of designs and post them on the official site and then invite us blues to vote on our favourite; that way they can get a feel for what will sell and give something back to the fans, simple really!
Tony I'Anson
22   Posted 28/08/2010 at 19:54:21

Mark, that's officially called market research.

Henry Ford once said, "They can have any colour they want, so long as its black".
Richard Reeves
23   Posted 28/08/2010 at 19:03:58

Umbro produced boring and sometimes almost identical home shirts year after year and I can remember people asking for a different manufacturer with different designs. I could pick out a lot of Umbro kits home and away that I didn't really like. They played everything a bit to safe by being boring and repetitive.

Le Coq are a good make and so far they have made three good kits out of four (I'm discounting last years home kit) and last year's away kit was one of my favourite all-time Everton kits (a classic), even a lot of my friends who support other teams admitted that it was a nice kit.

If I had to pick my favourite colours for an Everton away kit then It would be amber shirts, royal blue shorts and amber socks. For second colours they would be white shirts, royal blue shorts and white socks but every so often I want something different which is what we have now and I like It.

Alex Kociuba
24   Posted 28/08/2010 at 19:47:10

Financially speaking, the away kit sales are a drop in the ocean compared to Gosling leaving for nothing, Pienaar potentially going for nothing, the money we wasted paying AvdM every week etc.

And it's pink, big fucking deal.
Tony McNulty
25   Posted 28/08/2010 at 20:08:41

The pink kit is one of a series of wacky decisions by the powers that be down the years, albeit not the worst one?.

The decision to get sponsorship by Danka years ago was the piece de resistance. Did no-one on the Board spot the bleedin? obvious? A five-year old child wouldn?t have got that decision wrong. There was no way I was going to have my kids running around the streets of Middlesex with Danka written across their chests. Result? Lost sales.

It?s like the poor bastards who are currently sponsored by Jobsite. Now what does that make you think of?
Andy Codling
26   Posted 28/08/2010 at 20:37:26

Off subject but whats this shit about the Man Utd game being switched AGAIN??? I've got to lose a day's fucking pay now, fucking cunts at the FA.
Kevin Hudson
27   Posted 28/08/2010 at 20:35:26

Amber shirts, preferably with black shorts & amber socks ? would be a winner. Spot on Michael & Brendan.
Lee Kidd
28   Posted 28/08/2010 at 21:12:14

Took me approximately 15 minutes to mock this up - why not just have "good" solid Everton colours with a modern design, instead of glaring pink and an upside down speech bubble across the chest!

Jon Cox
29   Posted 28/08/2010 at 20:57:14

Yep, the pink kit is defo shite. I loved the all yellow away kit because it reminded me of the home kit of my Southport home town team.

What about the great Everton home kit that guys like Joe Royle, Jimmy Husband, Alex Young used to wear with the white round neck and white cuffs? Now that was a kit. With of course white shorts and white socks.

Also, I said it last season and I'm going to say it again: The blue nets at the old lady are shite. White nets please. I know it's trivial and everyone will make make me get up half-an-hour before I go to bed but white nets just stand out and anyone for us who can shoot outside the box this must be a better colour than the invisible blue.

COYB
Jon Cox
30   Posted 28/08/2010 at 21:22:38

Lee (28) perfik. Great design. Love it.
Lee Kidd
31   Posted 28/08/2010 at 21:33:34

Jon Cox (30)

Cheers ^^ Due to boredom, here's the home version :P

Jimmy Hacking
32   Posted 28/08/2010 at 22:09:46

Stuart O'Malley (17)

I live in Manchester and have seen about 25-30 people in the new home shirt in and around the city (yes, there are a few of us blues living here!), compared with literally none in the pink one. Exactly zero. Nilch. Nil points. I have yet to spot a single one.

How's THAT for a statistic!?
Stuart O'Malley
33   Posted 28/08/2010 at 22:25:48

Thanks Jimmy, that puts that one to bed then...sure who wants to let the facts get in the way of a good argument . Stats....who needs 'em ?
Steve Pugh
34   Posted 28/08/2010 at 22:35:26

Having just spent last week in Northwich and Blackpool I can categorically say that I didn't see a single man wearing the pink kit ? they were all in blue.

As for the women, every Everton kit I saw was pink, and there was more of them on show than the men in blue.
Jon Cox
35   Posted 28/08/2010 at 22:40:49

Nice one Lee, I'll explaine next time I meet Mr Coranation St. why you should be employed by EFC.

Keep going mate, hassle, be a twit with an "a" but remember oak trees only happen with an acorn.

Good on yer pal. Everton football club needs guys like you.

COYB
James McGrady
36   Posted 28/08/2010 at 23:45:25

Jimmy, it's kind of irrelevant. No matter how good an away kit is, the sales of home kits will always heavily outweigh those of the away kit.
Kevin Hudson
37   Posted 29/08/2010 at 00:09:10

Love that kit, Lee...
Ste Blundell
38   Posted 29/08/2010 at 02:42:20

It seems to me that there are two conflicting ways to look at it: No one else will have a pink strip so there would never be a need for a third kit and there lies the rub, as we have no need for a third kit we have missed the opportunity to raise much needed revenue from sales. Maybe LCS and EFC were magnanimously thinking of our half empty pockets when the new kit was designed.

Have to say though I agree with Michael, amber and dark blue all the way for me although I did like the all black Puma strip a few years back.

Liu Weixian
39   Posted 29/08/2010 at 06:04:39

Kevin:

'I wish Everton's market research team would petition it's season ticket holders, to gauge our preference. '

You mean we actually have a marketing research team?!
Mike McLean
40   Posted 29/08/2010 at 08:02:15

Amber and blue. Always.
Ray Roche
41   Posted 29/08/2010 at 09:22:48

Yep, I'm another amber and blue fan; however, I think that at one time in the distant past Everton's kit WAS pink and navy blue. Prior to the 1st World War, pink was the preferred colour for baby boys and it's only fairly recently that it's been pink for girls and pale blue for boys, no doubt due to some clever marketing bod. See? The benefits of listening to Radio 4.

But for Christ's sake, amber and blue, please!

Nick Parker
42   Posted 29/08/2010 at 09:52:46

John Beck, the journeyman lower league manager, also was famed for painting the opposition's dressing rooms pink to soften them up.

I am all for trying something different and loved last year's away kit design but this year's is weak.

I am an LQS hater but have to admit the quality of the kit has improved this year over last.
Gareth Humphreys
43   Posted 29/08/2010 at 10:00:35

Never understood the kit thing. Has it got an Everton badge on it? Yes, then what's the problem?
Dave Richman
44   Posted 29/08/2010 at 10:34:53

Wearing my pink shirt right now :-) It gets a rise out of Kopites here in South Africa, so that will do me just fine!
Eric Myles
45   Posted 29/08/2010 at 10:52:00

Tony #25, I've always thought that Jobsite would be ideal sponsors for the RS.
Tony Cheek
46   Posted 29/08/2010 at 10:57:12

I dont like it either, but it didn't seem to worry the Barcelona players last year. Amber and blue is best.
Ellen West
47   Posted 29/08/2010 at 15:18:30

... And another thing: last weekend my Bullens Rd seat was wobbly. What a disgrace! I even heard Wolves fans taunting us with "your ground's shit and your seats are precarious." No wonder we drew. Bring back the old wooden seats, they were much more durable.
Lee Kidd
48   Posted 29/08/2010 at 15:46:08

If Liverpool had unveiled a pink strip, there's no doubt in my mind we ? as a whole ? would be laughing at them. If it was designed well, maybe the laughter wouldn't be as bad... but, if Liverpool were wearing our monstrosity of a kit, we'd give them grief about it and rightly so.

Selective blindness on the part of fans who just like whatever has an Everton badge on I think...
Kev Lacey
49   Posted 29/08/2010 at 15:44:29

I went on the Goodison Park stadium tour a week before the season started and when we reached the home dressing room the pink effort was something we were talking to the guide about and what she had to say was quite interesting.

Apparently, pre the Kitbag deal, the players, manager and chairman traditionally always had some say in the style and design with the kit, and they would work with the manufacturer in producing them. Since the Kitbag deal, though, this has stopped and it's all changed. It's now solely a commercial decision made between commercial directors, Kitbag and Le Coq Sportif as to what will bring in the most revenue etc.

We were told the players aren't too keen (they did like the black one from last season though). The guide also said that they have now discovered that it clashes with some of the home kits we will come up against when we have to wear it so a cream coloured third kit was in development (not heard anything about this in the 3 weeks or so that have passed since), also the fan reaction had a slight factor in this.

For me, it should always be amber.

3 points today please lads COYB!
Richard Harris
50   Posted 29/08/2010 at 16:52:43

Garry Martin
51   Posted 30/08/2010 at 09:37:28

I think EFC have been set up as guinea pig to see the response. "If the gay community love it, were onto a winner" Le Coq must be thinking.

What a load of bollocks!!
Ed Fitzgerald
52   Posted 30/08/2010 at 12:46:59

It is not the fact that it is pink ? it?s the shocking highlighter pink that makes it particularly awful. Palermo have always played in pink and black and it looks fine. For the historians amongst us we have actually worn pink and white halves and, err, won our first league title wearing ruby red shirts with dark blue shorts and socks so perhaps we have a history of shite kits!! It is a marketing disaster, had the club used its head, it would have done the following

1. Give us the amber and blue strip we all claim to crave for our away strip
2. Make at least 20-30,000 of the pink girls shirts the club has intermittently issued over the last few years for female Evertonians ? those of us with daughters who support Everton would have been grateful ? trying to get those limited editions was a nightmare
3. It is one more example of our club not listening to the supporters. I am sure a sample of our fan base could let the club and its kit manufacturers know what would be popular and therefore sell generating revenue. I know many prestigious technology companies ?test? and peer review their products in advance of general release to the public. It appears beyond the marketing department?s capacity to engage in a similar venture.

If the club already do this the ?focus group? needs shooting!
Eugene Ruane
53   Posted 31/08/2010 at 12:48:50

Richard Harris, you say...

"If Everton were playing well, then it wouldn't matter what colour shirts they were wearing. Pink is a change and, if male fans have a problem, then that says more about them..."

Does it really?

WHAT exactly does it say?

They're homophobic?

They're not in touch with their feminine side?

Could you be more specific?

For the record, it WOULD matter if Everton were playing well, because playing well or not, the shirt/kit would still be a total fucking disgrace.