Members:   Log In Sign Up

Where the Sun don't shine!

Given this publication's long, inglorious history of printing idiotic guff designed to wind Scousers up, The Sun's latest taunting headline comes as no surprise: Rodwell to Man Utd for £10 million plus Carrick.

Is this April Fools?! Our best academy graduate since Rooney, swapped for a deteriorating centre-midfielder and some magic beans?! The nerve!

Questions: Why would we want to add to an already over-subscribed position? Are we financially robust enough to keep him? Do our ambitions match those of Jack's agent? Even if the story's bullshit, will it turn his head? If not this time, is it inevitable he'll venture up the M62 sooner rather than later? And just how much of a slap in the face would it be to Evertonians?

For me, he's a future Everton captain, and I would lose so much faith in the club if a switch came to pass. I pray that we would respond to any future bid by telling them where to stick it...
Kevin Hudson, Stoneycroft     Posted 30/08/2010 at 13:41:48

Comments

John McLoughlin
1   Posted 30/08/2010 at 16:04:15

Sadly it will happen. Our club lacks the ambition a player like Rodwell wil have, potentially the best midfielder in the country. He's only young so right now he seems content to learn his trade. But I have no doubts if, in 3 years time we have the same board and same lack of investment, we still wont be a CL team and wont be winning any trophies. If that is the case, Rodwell will seek pastures new and a team that can deliver what all the top players want.
David Price
2   Posted 30/08/2010 at 16:04:02

Where does he play, Kev? In reality we have to choose two from Rodders, Arteta and Fellaini. Or does he play in Cahill's role? As this wasn't part of any pre-season tactics, will Moyes gamble on it now?

A classy passing centre back is another option for Jack, but again untried. United, if it's true, will surely test our resolve next summer when a replacement for Scholes and Giggs needs to be lined up. If Rodwell isn't playing in a regular spot by then, a transfer request could follow.

We want him to stay as his potential is there to see... but, in a starting eleven, perhaps the posts could feature on where?

Nick Entwistle
3   Posted 30/08/2010 at 16:12:17

If the offer is correct, it's a poor one and one that shows Utd are skint. Doesn't help us out in anyway. Given we already have Fellaini and JH in Rodwell's position, I'm sure it would be cash only accepted by Moyes, and even then given the length on contract the boy has, £30m could just be accepted.

Me, I'd keep him. By the time his contract is up, Utd and Liverpool would have gone to the wall anyway... :)

Ian Kearney
4   Posted 30/08/2010 at 16:18:47

Against Hudderdfield we played Rodwell, Fellaini and Osman in the centre. Is it that far fetched to swap Osman for Arteta and accomodate all 3.

Personally, I don't rate Johnny in midfield as anything other than back-up, I do think he our best CH though.
Shaun Brennan
5   Posted 30/08/2010 at 16:23:06

Hmm... I just can't see him going to United any time soon. But if he went there tomorrow, I could see him starting games much more than he does for Everton.
Christopher Marston
6   Posted 30/08/2010 at 16:28:42

Here we go again... Moyes pisses Rodwell off by playing him out of position. Utd get a sniff of this and offer silly money, nowhere near enough for a player of his calibre. But Everton being Everton and Kenwright being the git that he is will sell and our season and immediate future will be condemned already. Lovely!
Joe McMahon
7   Posted 30/08/2010 at 16:27:32

To be honest, who could blame him. Double the wages, actually starting games, and playing not on right midfield, but in central midfield where he should be: playing Champions League football, and winning medals. Something which is sadly never going to happen whilst playing at Goodison.

The sad situation hasn't changed at Everton since Rooney left 6 years ago.
Joe McMahon
8   Posted 30/08/2010 at 16:31:28

I hope I'm wrong but our so-called "Make or Break" season is looking more and more like break. Somehow even Sunderland are overtaking us: steady purchases, a fantastic stadium and facilities, and a striker who DOES score over 20 a season.
Ste Traverse
9   Posted 30/08/2010 at 16:31:42

With their current situation, Man Utd couldn't afford Rodwell.

After they took Rooney off us they are possibly the last club I'd want to lose Jack to.

Sadly with the lack of ambition from Kenwright and his cronies upstairs, I fear we'll lose him sooner or later.
Aodhan O'Faolain
10   Posted 30/08/2010 at 16:40:07

Everybody has a price on their head and that's the reality.

However, Rodwell's is at least double what Manure are supposed to be offering.

I would not take Carrick on a free. His injury problems hide the fact that he was never more than an average player who had a few good days with Spurs and West Ham.

Interesting to add that both his previous clubs let him move on at the first sign of cash.
Jay Harris
11   Posted 30/08/2010 at 16:40:46

I wish people would stop saying we have 3 players for 2 positions. We haven't had any injuries as yet and over a season players will lose form or need resting.

We already have one of the smallest squads in the Prem can we please stop playing FM and get a grip.
David Hallwood
12   Posted 30/08/2010 at 16:47:40

I've been saying all summer; don't believe a fucking word that tabloids print. This has the hallmarks of a lazy sub editor looking at the situation at Everton: "I see Rodwell's not getting a game", next component is SAF, who (allegedly) likes Rodwell enough to want to buy him.

The final component is ?Who?s surplus to requirements at United? Carrick!!? ? and so a story is born that can fill a page and the reporters don?t even have to log off Ebay or online poker to go out there and actually find a credible story. It would be interesting to find out how many of their ?exclusives? actually came to anything.

Charlie Percival
13   Posted 30/08/2010 at 16:49:28

My support of football will cease if we lose Rodwell to Manure. I've been through so much shit about us being Utd's feeder club etc and Utd giving us their reserves. I can't handle going through it all again.
Matteo Rosingana
14   Posted 30/08/2010 at 17:31:22

Charlie, I feel exactly the same. It winds me up that if this is bullshit, and I have to believe that it is, that it generates so much angst in us all, and what does it mean to the twat whose idea it was to publish it? Nothing. Boycott the filthy rag forever!
Michael Kenrick
15   Posted 30/08/2010 at 17:59:12

Jay, while you have a point about injuries, the issue of squad size should be a little different this season, and may even work somewhat in our favour (as long as our belioved manager can figure out how to use the players he has got!!!).

All teams are limited to 25 players (at least 8 homegrown) plus unlimited under-21s. I haven't done the comparison with other teams (coz I only care about us!) but we are apparently somewhat well placed under this new paradigm.

Adam Bennett
16   Posted 30/08/2010 at 18:18:14

These 'stories' do my head in. The press always bang on about bringing youngsters through, and how they should be allowed to develop, not add to much pressure on them, blah blah blah.

Yet here is a joke of a journo (I listen to 'The Monday Night Club' on 5Live quite a bit and most of the time when he is on he talks complete bollocks) for a rag of a paper writing complete bullshit about one of the country's most promising youngsters.

For fuck's sake, just leave the lad alone!
Norman Merrill
17   Posted 30/08/2010 at 18:19:30

Kevan, spot on, and hopefully we don't end up with a deal like the Rooney transfer, £5 million down and payments over so many years, providing they win some silverware. If he is to be transferred, the amount should be what we want, and if not forget it.
Oiver Molloy
18   Posted 30/08/2010 at 18:17:30

I'd say we would have Martin O'Neill No 2... IF the club sold Rodwell against the wishes of Moyes.

I will also say this: Moyes will quit at the end of this season... The only thing I believe that will keep him at the club other than big investment is if we win a cup; other than that, he will resign.
Tony McNulty
19   Posted 30/08/2010 at 19:01:11

I agree with John (#1).

We are doomed to pushing up against the top six glass ceiling, or remaining at mid-table mediocrity or worse, unless we get some investment in the team. I reckon £30-50 million would do it, given the squad Moyesie has now assembled.

This need for investment has been the case for a number of years now. And, unless matters change, the words the The Fat Boy?s agent wrote for him when he departed will also apply to Rodwell. I recall they went something like: ?I want to play in the Champions League and win things. With respect, that isn?t going to happen at Everton.?
Chris Butler
20   Posted 30/08/2010 at 18:55:28

My opinions are such that Moyes, like Oliver said, will undoubtedly leave if Fergie goes. Moyes is becoming a increasingly popular choice for a new manager over the recent few years and it seems he is already being lined up at his replacement, hence the comments by Ferguson.

I think people are stupid to believe he'll stay as in my opinion he's been waiting for a call from United for the last few seasons. I believe Moyes would take Rodwell with him if he went to Manchester United, who wouldn't? To believe that an ambitious manager who's had minimal financial support yet performed reasonably well, I think he's taken us as far as he can unless we can find a new owner willign to plow millions into Everton.

I can't help feeling Moyes will feel his tenure over, the last few years have been 1 step forward, 2 steps back after selling players like Lescott and allegedly certain players wanting to leave. Going back to the original point, I doubt Rodwell would want to leave this season as he'd want another year playing in the first team which would be unlikely at United.

Micheal Lynch
21   Posted 30/08/2010 at 19:14:10

7/4 now with powers. Must be something in this...
Colin Ryan
22   Posted 30/08/2010 at 19:15:10

Moyes 7/4 favourite with Paddy Power now. For all his faults, I can't see who could replace him with an annual transfer budget of £0. Worrying times...
Andy Codling
23   Posted 30/08/2010 at 19:34:29

Perhaps Billy Bullshit is looking at cashing in on Rodwell, he said the other week we don't need to sell, but then again his lips were moving so he must have been lying, the useless prick.
Jay Harris
24   Posted 30/08/2010 at 19:48:39

Michael,
I agree but it does wind me up a bit when people are suggesting cashing in on Rodwell because he's only played 2 out of 4 games and some lazy Sun Journo decides to promote the idea.
Dennis Stevens
25   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:16:49

Why would anybody read The Scum?
Andrew Gilbert
26   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:15:12

If Moyes leaves, then so do most of our best players. So we start again as possible relegation contenders rather than European possibles.

Please people, name any manager who could do better with our finances. Forget about billionaires we are not an attractive propositon for anyone other than a billionaire blue.

On the other hand, I think there is one manager who is intelligent enough to keep our stars, that is Slaven Bilic.
Andrew Gilbert
27   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:22:14

One good thing is the transfer window, as any new manager would have time to win them over.

He would have to be bloody good though!
Steve Cavanagh
28   Posted 30/08/2010 at 23:03:13

Michael, even if anything they ever publish one day turned out to be true, why are you putting links on ToffeeWeb to their online toilet paper?
Brendan O'Doherty
29   Posted 31/08/2010 at 00:14:59

So ridiculous I don't even want to comment on it.

Other than to say that Slaven Bilic has already creamed enough money off the club, thanks.

Michael Kenrick
30   Posted 30/08/2010 at 23:20:56

Steve Cavanagh (#28) ? although you posted this under the Moyes to Villa thread, I have relocated it to this thread because the context appears to refer more to The Sun publishing the Rodwell rumour.

In my humble opinion, all tabloid newspapers are shite, and all transfer rumours are equally shite... well 99% of them. Neverthelss, because the punters demand it through their massive "click-thru" interest in our Rumour Mill ? the most popular page by a country mile ? we continue to provide them with these shite rumours to read.

The fact that they come from the shitiest of shit tabloids seems neither here nor there in the broader scheme of things...

Enjoy!!! ps: I am rationalizing these threads so that this one is about the Rodwell to Man Utd rumour, and the other one is about the Moyes to Villa rumour... so that's where your comments have gone, in case you were wondering.
Richard Harris
31   Posted 31/08/2010 at 04:00:08

Does anyone really believe or care what the Sun prints as their version of the 'truth' ?
Jamie Sweet
32   Posted 31/08/2010 at 04:25:28

The sun does print some shite... but I would love to have the job of those people who make all that shite up!

People actually get paid for it. It's unbelievable! Unless they just have a computer programme which uses a random name gererator. They may as well.
Paul Oakes
33   Posted 31/08/2010 at 14:36:14

Let me be clear here. Moyes resign? He'd have to be on drugs if he did.

Seriously, I have never heard such crap as "he will resign, if we don't win some silverware". Perhaps Mr Moyes needs to go back to Uefsa school, because let's face it 9 years with nothing... and you lot think it's all about money?

The man is inept at naming teams, he is inept at strategy... and don't get me started on his bizarre choices for subs. The man is a ditherer, he'd last about 5 minutes at any other club because they wouldn't put up with the shit we have to!

Firstly remember Moyes is in a 100% secured job for life, regardless if we stay up or go down. As is the fat controller. You guys would serve the club better by organizing a Johnson-style Out campaign... but hey, he is doing a terrific job isn't he? Haha!

Let's get some facts on Rodwell shall we? What exactly has he achieved that warrants anything over £10 million? He scores a few goals, spends most of the time fading out of games, whines at Moyes because he is played out of position?

Paul Oakes
34   Posted 31/08/2010 at 14:42:41

Jamie - The Sun does print some shite. When does it not do so? This is an anti Liverpool City rag along with its twisted sister the News of the Screws (News of the World).

Anything by this paper or its sister paper or by Sky or by the Daily Mail... are 100% wrong unless they have 100% proof of what they are saying... oh wait they never do. lol
Anthony Hughes
35   Posted 01/09/2010 at 11:14:56

Fast forward to next summer's transfer window, where's the money going to come from for transfers? We all know its going to happen and the fact he's signed a five-year deal just means we'll get more for him.