Ladbrokes suspend bets...

Ladbrokes suspend bets on Moyes becoming next Villa boss! Whats going on?!
Rob Hackett, Deal, Kent     Posted 30/08/2010 at 18:15:47

Comments

Andy Codling
1   Posted 30/08/2010 at 19:00:17

Betting giant Ladbokes have slashed the odds on David Moyes becoming the next manager of Aston Villa.

He joins Mark Hughes as joint favourite for the post, with his odds moving in from 33/1 to 4/1.

However, as Moyes was at Finch Farm today while his first team had the day off, it would be hard to find a reason for their closing of odds.

Adam Bennett
2   Posted 30/08/2010 at 19:05:49

Andy ? I've just been on the ladbrokes site and they've suspended betting on Moyes.

At William Hill he's 6/1.
Micheal Lynch
3   Posted 30/08/2010 at 19:02:56

Ladbrokes have the best inside information of all the British bookmakers. Something must have happened for those odds to fall as they have. Hence the delay from Villa in making the appointment.

Moyes would take his time in making any decision. Hard to blame him really. An excellent squad but in bad need of a right winger and top striker and nothing from 24/7 Bill to finance this. Don't think it would be the worst thing though. Definitely time for change...

Andy Crooks
4   Posted 30/08/2010 at 19:11:56

Oliver, so David Moyes might resign. Where will he go next? Man Utd? No fucking chance. Celtic? Anywhere David Moyes goes will be a step down. In fact, he is in a job paid way beyond what he earned. He has the undying love of his chairman (it seems to be mutual). So I ask again, where is better for David Moyes than Everton?
Anto Barley
5   Posted 30/08/2010 at 19:45:44

Moysey now 5/4 with Paddy Power, something is afoot...
Micheal Lynch
6   Posted 30/08/2010 at 19:54:22

The only other thing here would be the bookmakers shortening the price without reason. Sky and papers pick up on it and mug punters back it off the board. A day or two passes and it drifts and punters left with a ten to one shot that they backed at 7/4 or less. Bookmakers make a mint and we left with Davey "I am tactically clueless" Moyes
Dennis Stevens
7   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:19:05

Still 6.4 on betfair
Jamie Tulacz
8   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:21:38

Ridiculous ? just can't see it happening.
Peter Laing
9   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:22:04

Non-starter, Moyes and Kenwright is a marriage made in heaven.
Alex Kociuba
10   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:20:35

It only takes a few chunky bets on a delicate 'novelty' market for bookies to crash the price or suspend altogether. I worked as a trader for a bookmaker and I wouldn't be AS worried as it may appear.
Josh Holmes
11   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:25:13

Can't really see him going. And I hope I'm right. Have to agree this is worrying though as he is now favorite on Ladbrokes.
Ste Boyle
12   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:25:30

I really cant see Moyes going there unless Lerner offers him a Kings ransom. Moyes has never been a money grabber though and seems motivated by success and trophies. I know that sort of contradicts the way he plays ;o)

Bit of a non starter and Sky Sports News making a fuss out of it like they do with all the shit stories.
Jamie Tulacz
13   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:25:50

Saying 3/1 on their website, which I'd hardly call time to suspend betting. Maradona is on there at 33/1 which shows how seriously you should take their odds!!
Andrew Ellams
14   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:25:15

Ladbrokes don't make decisions like this without good reason. Whilst I have no idea personally just how close this is to happening, I am willing to bet that something is going on.
Nick Entwistle
15   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:26:47

Right, if its on, time to bring in Sven. He's the only manager out there.

Saying that, I'm in the Moyes camp still 100%, but this is his last season for me if top 4 is not gained as we can't keep having these players get older and older and more frustrated with every season.
Ste Boyle
16   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:27:17

Mark Hughes is 3rd favourite FFS and he's just taken the Fulham job...ridiculous.
Josh Holmes
17   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:31:46

Be a step down for Moyes going there....
Ste Boyle
18   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:31:42

Nick (15) I actually agree. But prepare to be lambasted for that one mate
Nick Entwistle
19   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:32:27

Be a step down going anywhere Josh
Robert Moore
20   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:29:57

No Way this is a joke, its not suspended by the way, just checked, its a stunt by Ladbrokes for us all to go to the site and have a bet, In Moyes We Trust!!!
Nick Entwistle
21   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:34:12

Ste, I'm ducking for cover, but there's no doubt in my mind he's arguably the best manger in the world. And if not, top 10. Where is Moyes?
Brian Lawlor
22   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:33:27

Three years ago Ladbrokes suspended betting on the Fat Spanish Waiter being the next manager to leave his job. Guess what? He didn't go anywhere. It means fuck all.
Conor Ryan
23   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:28:40

My best mate, a Villa fan, has just been on the phone. I hung up on him and came straight on this. Why the fuck would he go there? Not good enough for O'Neill but good enough for DM? Hardly... Somebody please clear this shite up for me.
Josh Holmes
24   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:36:27

Wouldn't say Sven is the best manager in the world. He's certainly a good manager, wouldn't want to swap him for the Moyesiah though.
Andrew Ellams
25   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:35:49

Hadn't thought of Sven, first names I came up with were Bob Bradley and Slaven Bilic, but I have to admit Sven would be a god choice. He has the experience and the conatcts round Europe to bring in top players.
Anand Rabheru
26   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:38:16

If Moyes does go, I want Bilic! He knows the clubs, he knows what were about & he will get us playing footy! he will also be in it to succeed, unlike Sven who is only ever in it for the money!
Josh Holmes
27   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:40:18

How about Martin O'Neil ? This is a bit stupid though, talking of the next manager. Moyes is still at Everton as fat as i'm concerned.
Chris Jones
28   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:44:16

Moyes is going nowhere
Robert Moore
29   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:48:57

Quote August the 11th

Everton manager David Moyes: I don't want Aston Villa job.

Nuff Said.
Robert Elliott
30   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:45:30

Maybe someone noticed the friendly way that Lerner approached Moyes and shook his hand as he went to go into the changing rooms before the game yesterday.

Living in the Midlands, I have a lot of Villa mates, and my life would not be worth living if they nicked our manager away from us. Can only hope this is not true, be massively disruptive for us if we lost Moyes right at the start of the season.
Andrew Gilbert
31   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:50:38

If Moyes leaves, then so do most of our best players. So we start again as possible relegation contenders rather than European possibles.

Please people, name any manager who could do better with our finances. Forget about billionaires we are not an attractive propositon for anyone other than a billionaire blue.

On the other hand I think there is one manager who is intelligent enough to keep our stars, that is Slaven Bilic.

One good thing is the transfer window, as any new manager would have time to win them over.

He would have to be bloody good though!
Rodger Armstrong
32   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:44:54

Collymore loved breaking the news on TalkSport half an hour ago; Paddy Power have Moyes 7/4 now. FFS this had better be a load of rubbish; talkin about a "successor" is tempting fate guys, give it up!
Robert Moore
33   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:53:55

Rodger (32) agree, let's stop tempting fate.
Adam Carey
34   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:49:45

Right, we and Villa are close rivals at the moment as far as status in the EPL and season targets so this is a move sideways for Moyes. What could be the incentive here? Lerner does have money even if he turned the tap off for O'Neill, and the purse strings could be loosened if Moyes can commit to a reduced wage budget and clear-out of deadwood.
Davie Turner
35   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:52:53

This morning Rodwell rumours to Man Utd, this evening Moyes to Villa.

Hate this bloody transfer window business, it just a 24hour nerve fest.

Roll on someone other than Moyes getting the Villa job and 6pm tomorrow evening and Rodwell still being an Everton player.
Andrew Steen
36   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:59:14

What if the Sun story and Villa are linked? Kenwright sells against Moyes's wishes? Final straw for Moyes?
Anand Rabheru
37   Posted 30/08/2010 at 21:01:06

Andrew, number 36, thats exactly what I've just been texting my mates!

Guys, it was just on the SSN headline stories...
Andrew Ellams
38   Posted 30/08/2010 at 21:01:33

What if Kenwright knows Moyes is off so sells Rodwell anyway?
Ste Boyle
39   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:59:50

I'd take Bilic or Sven. Agree that Sven seems to be a bit of a mercenary but he was doing good things at Citeh before he was thrown out.

Let's be honest, I'm more worried about the players leaving on the back of this than Moyes actually leaving...
Andrew Gilbert
40   Posted 30/08/2010 at 21:02:18

Radio 5 says there has been no contact between Villa and Moyes.

Having earlier broadcasted the betting story.
Ste Boyle
41   Posted 30/08/2010 at 21:03:22

Didn't Howard Kendall put his hat in the ring for the Rep of Ireland job? He must be ready to come back now... ;o)
Micheal Lynch
42   Posted 30/08/2010 at 21:01:35

He still 6.8 on betfair so no truth in it I would say. Just the bookmakers looking for a quick buck, Mug punters latching on and it drifts once Moyes denies it. Only way he would leave is Bill selling Jack and Moyes saying enough is enough.
Anand Rabheru
43   Posted 30/08/2010 at 21:05:14

Spurs made an official enquiry about Pienaar... Maybe Kenwright selling Pienaar behind Moyes's back???

SSN just reported.
Ste Boyle
44   Posted 30/08/2010 at 21:07:46

Oh Christ... Rodwell, Moyes, Pienaar...... They'll be selling Osman and Hibbert next, what will we do?!?!
Stephen Corcoran
45   Posted 30/08/2010 at 21:08:58

I used to work alongside Alex as a trader for Ladbrokes and he is right in what he is saying Ladbrokes don't like to take bets on these markets and it would only take somebody asking for £50 on Moyes and Ladbrokes would suspend the market and then slash the price accordingly.
Liam Dowd
46   Posted 30/08/2010 at 21:12:56

Betting was also suspended on us signing Bellamy a week or two ago. I don't know the ins and outs of how these things work, but I would be extremely, extremely surprised if it came to anything.
John McLoughlin
47   Posted 30/08/2010 at 21:12:57

Everybody beleives negative rumours, nobody beleives my Messi to Everton rumour, yet they both have the same likelihood. An earlier poster hit the nail on the head, in a market like this it doesnt take much money to alter the price.
Robert Elliott
48   Posted 30/08/2010 at 21:10:41

Anybody else think Redknapp is the biggest, sly git in football?!
Nick Entwistle
49   Posted 30/08/2010 at 21:12:48

Ian, 38, Sven would come for same wages surely, plus Villa would need to buy out Moyes' contract too, which would put many a million in our bank...

I doubt he would go, but I'd put a tenner on Pip being the next manager.
Jason Broome
50   Posted 30/08/2010 at 21:11:57

Moyes stated he wasn't leaving... FACT! Everything else is mere speculation and bullshit!

Ste Boyle (44) classic!
Craig Taylor
51   Posted 30/08/2010 at 21:20:16

The only reason he would go is if BK has sold Rodwell behind his back.

I can't believe this would happen, but I remember coming back from school years ago, teletext on expecting transfer news only to be fronted by the headline that Royle had gone. Stranger things have happened.

I just can't believe it though.

If we have to do this then noone other than Martin O'Neil would be an acceptable replacement.

It isn't true though, It really isn't.
Oiver Molloy
52   Posted 30/08/2010 at 20:56:53

Andy ????? 26

I don't know where he would go Andy,but unlike many others i do not believe that Moyes would get the Man U job if it was available.If Celtic thought that DM would become their manager Neil Lennon would be sacked in the morning!!

Certainly if I was in control of one of the biggest clubs in the world and was looking for a new manager it be a manager that has won something AND had years of experience in Europe... Moyes as we all know has won nothing..

Don't get me wrong ? I like DM and he is brought Everton on leaps and bounds in lots of ways since he came to the club.

But the fact remains he still is unproven to manage a club like Utd ? as I say if I was the fat controler at MU he would not be top of my list.

Because of the type of man he seems to be, I just reckon this could be his last season with the club unless there is something to keep him here ? Money or we win a cup or qualify for the CL,even then that may not be enough!

The Aston Villa story is rubbish I'd say.

Darren Dempsey
53   Posted 30/08/2010 at 21:25:20

Moyes shakes hands with Lerner before the Villa game so it must mean Moyes is going to Villa. A case of 2 + 2 = 5. BOLLOCKS!
Guy Hastings
54   Posted 30/08/2010 at 21:41:43

Craig (51), I'd rather be managed by Kenny Dalglish and Ian Rush in a pantomime horse costume than M O'N...
Yusuf Bobat
55   Posted 30/08/2010 at 21:46:32

Not fussed if he goes, could be a blessing as we will never win anything under Moyes!!!
Jamie Sweet
56   Posted 30/08/2010 at 21:42:37

I'm a huge Moyes fan, I think he has done some great things for our football club... but when I read this story, I wasn't as gutted as I thought I would be at the prospect of him leaving.

Perhaps it is time for a new face with a fresh (more attacking?!) approach!

I did think the day Moyes left he would be going up in the world though and not down to a club like Villa.
Mark Griffiths
57   Posted 30/08/2010 at 21:36:37

Guys, this is pure bullshit!
Moyes is not going anywhere, and in any case why the hell would he go to Villa!
he has said he is happy and I beleive him, if he did go who would do a better job than him given our resources, nobody, not, Mourinho, Pep Guardiola, Wenger, SAF? nobody! he pisses me off on pccassions with some decisions, but there is nobody better for us at the moment and he knows the club!
Matteo Rosingana
58   Posted 30/08/2010 at 22:04:32

Jamie (56) - re your reaction to the speculation, I felt much the same. Oh well, thank you, maybe a change would do the team some good. Neither he nor the team are making any progress. I wouldn't be at all down if this were true, in fact I'd go as far to say that if nothing happened I'd be more fed up!
Sean Mcglory
59   Posted 30/08/2010 at 22:09:50

If it's true there's only one man I'd have in and that's Manuel Pellegrini .Villarreal are the best football playing side I've seen at our Ground and he didn't have loads of money to make that team ,he's the man for me !
David Denby
60   Posted 30/08/2010 at 22:12:50

Probably all a ruse by Moyes so Billy has a last minute ring a round to places like quickquid.com etc to give him some money for tomorrow!

Seriously I can't see this happening. It is a sideways step at best. Having got Arteta, Rodwell et al under long term contracts Moyes knows that, despite the results so far, we're only a decent striker away from being up there.

I'd say relax but we know we won't. Here's to a fun day tomorrow and driving everyone at work mad by doing sod all apart from checking websites and the radio.
Gordon Byrne
61   Posted 30/08/2010 at 22:27:32

Lads, my dad (who is a Hammer!) heard from Robbie Keane's bro that it's 100% that Moyes is the next Villa manager! How true that is, I dunno...
Dave Lynch
62   Posted 30/08/2010 at 22:32:54

Robbie Keans bro lives in Ireland.
What a load of bullshit.
I'm no Moyes lover but if he leaves which he isn't, then Newcastle springs to mind.
Chris Waugh
63   Posted 30/08/2010 at 22:36:12

I like to read what people say on this site but never comment.

However, after reading the news about David Moyes apparently becoming the new Aston Villa manager, I felt compelled to register and say something.

I for one would be absolutely gutted if David Moyes left our club. I would rather lose any player. David Moyes picked our club out of the drains and has taken us to an incredible level. We consistently challenge the top four and have had some brilliant times in Europe (Nuremberg springs to mind)

So as an Evertonian currently following the blues in Miami Florida I want to say that I PRAY for the sake of our premiership surivaval (yes i think relegation is a serious possibility is he goes at this point in the season bearing in mind the start we have had) that the Moyesiah infact stays.

If you're reading this Mr. Moyes you have done a wonderful job here and I am proud to be an Evertonian.

IDMWT
Gerry Western
64   Posted 30/08/2010 at 22:42:06

There was me thinking the rumour and conjecture would kick off about midday tomorrow. Let the show begin.
Andrew Gilbert
65   Posted 30/08/2010 at 22:48:32

Relax, Sven is now 1.7 on Betfair

Moyes is 9.4
Graham Duffy
66   Posted 30/08/2010 at 22:56:44

Moyes to Villa? Let him go.

His tactics are shit. He doesn't know what his best 11 is. FFS Rodwell, Heitinga, Coleman on the bench...

He's taken us as far as he can.

Jamie Tulacz
67   Posted 30/08/2010 at 22:59:39

Find it amazing how quickly people's opinions change. 3rd best team in the league in the second half of last season, yet after 3 games of this season half the people on this site are ready to wave him goodbye.

Strange...
Charles King
68   Posted 30/08/2010 at 22:54:46

I think Moyes needs to move on for his own sake, he's had that haunted look since the start of the season and Kenwright will get the kick up the arse he needs to stop fucking about, re the clubs finances.

With Lerner's cash we'll find out if Moyes is a genius and with a new manager we'll have the opportunity to be re-invigorated.
Ray Roche
69   Posted 30/08/2010 at 23:02:17

I'm pissed off with dickheads trotting out "He's taken us as far as he can....."He's tactically naive", and all the other crap, whilst NEVER providing a name for a real replacement. Moyes has performed wonders for this club, sure, he's made mistakes and his tactics/substitutions are not always believable but there is no-one out there who could have done a better job.

Last week I posted the team that Moyes inherited and invited comments from the anti-Moyes brigade as to what they thought of any improvements he's made. Guess what, not a bloody answer. People just like slagging him off with no idea as to who could do a better job.

Gordon Byrne
70   Posted 30/08/2010 at 23:24:56

Yes, Robbie's bro does live in Dublin, Robbie told him about the Moyes to Villa thing before betting was suspended... but yes, probably just bullshit!
Gerry Western
71   Posted 30/08/2010 at 23:18:28

The Moyes thing for me simply makes no sense. However, the rumored interest of Rednap with Pienaar may have a bit more mileage. The question is if a deal is being being discussed might it involve a sale or a swap?
Brendan O'Doherty
72   Posted 30/08/2010 at 23:26:02

"He's taken us as far as he can."

Ah yes, the famous last words uttered by many a football supporter, which they later regretted as their club slipped down the division and then out of it altogether.

Some people never learn.

Robert Elliott
73   Posted 30/08/2010 at 23:25:00

Hopefully this story will fade over the next few days or so. One thing it does show though is that the majority of Everton fans on here recognise that by and large Moyes has done a fine job and we'd be much worse off without him.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's perfect. I couldn't understand for the life of me why we spent the summer keeping Rodwell out of the clutches of the likes of Man U and Chelsea, and then don't play him until the third game of the season, and then out of position when we do. At times Moyes is too cautious and I can't help but think his pre-season programme is not challenging enough and therefore leads to us starting the season like a asthmatic ant carrying heavy shopping.

If we had the finances to attract the best in the world then I probably wouldn't worry too much about Moyes moving on, but we don't. When I really thought about the kind of manager we could attract should Moyes leave it made me realise even more that we need to keep hold of him. We've shown him loyalty before, hopefully he will now do the same.
Ian Short
74   Posted 30/08/2010 at 23:36:19

It must be true - he was spotted on Sunday at Villa Park.

I even saw him there myself.
David Price
75   Posted 30/08/2010 at 23:14:27

It is make or break for Moyes this season. No trophy and outside the top 6 may make him feel he hasn't anymore to give.
The club has backed him with the contracts secured for all but one player. A Pienaar sale would fund Donavon and who knows Gueye could be a star on the left. Sometimes things happen for a reason but Moyes to Villa isn't one of them..
Brendan O'Doherty
76   Posted 30/08/2010 at 23:33:38

Hopefully this is all a load of guff, but if not DM owes us nothing.

Judging by the level of abuse dished out to him on this site since the start of the season, I hope the fickle anti-Moyes brigade will be delighted when we end up with Gary Megson.

Negative? In the words of B.T.O. "You ain't seen nothing yet".
Tommy Meehan
77   Posted 30/08/2010 at 23:39:30

Yeah I know Brendan I remember Charlton fans saying the same thing about Curbishly; if Moyes leaves on a whim and the squad disintegrates it'll be a fucking disaster especially given Bill's annual "warchest" from the eighties of £1-2 million.
Dennis Stevens
78   Posted 30/08/2010 at 23:38:00

Some comical comments here, it does make me wonder how Everton have managed to keep hold of the best football coach on the planet, & whilst paying him a pittance too - Kenwright must tell any potential suitors Moyes has got herpes!

Moyes is good & has done well, but he certainly hasn't proved himself a great manager & I doubt Kenwright is besieged with calls from clubs wanting to buy out his contract. Nor do I believe Everton would be short of decent applicants should the post become vacant.
Albert Perkins
79   Posted 30/08/2010 at 23:39:35

I know managers move around a lot, but it's not usually of their choosing. They hit a bad patch and the board give them the thumbs down.

The fat waiter had good reason to leave, the owners were bloodsuckers, no transfer money etc. He still has some standing in the game. Got a better job than Moyes would.

If Moyes left now he would be betraying the players he has signed, to say nothing of the fans. One of the main reasons the players signed was to work with him.

How would he look if he finally got a contending team together, after being given full support over 8? years, then he ditches without going for some silverware? He would be seen as chickening out on his best chance.

I don't believe Moyes will leave right now. But if this campaign does not produce something special, like a cup or a great run of scintillating football with promise for next season, then he may be thinking of moving on because he might be thinking he has done the best he can with what he had at his disposal at Everton.

The right job would have to come up at that time, and it might. Whood a thunk MON would just drop out at the start of the season, leaving his 'baby' to the wolves?

Moyes has shown himself to be a man of some character. But he admitted to having second thoughts last summer. If he can justify it to himself, he can go.
Bet it won't be to Man U though!
Robert Moore
80   Posted 31/08/2010 at 00:21:48

Lads it's not true, it's the betting sites that have got everyone looking at their sites... it's false advertising... story closed.
Charlie Percival
81   Posted 31/08/2010 at 00:34:01

SORRY BUT who the fuck is Robbie Keanes brother and more importantly, HOW THE FUCK would Robbie Keanes brother know this before anyone else.

GOD, PEOPLE ON THIS SITE ARE SO GULLIBLE - so I ask again to the editors, can we have ppls ages disclosed with every comment.
Alex Kociuba
82   Posted 31/08/2010 at 00:36:09

Charlie Percival, you don't think anyone other than yourself posses the ability to read a comment and disregard it?

Attacking someone you assume to be a child USING CAPITAL LETTERS on an internet thread concerning rumour is a little pathetic if you ask me.
Roberto Birquet
83   Posted 31/08/2010 at 00:24:46

Brendan O'Doherty
"He's taken us as far as he can."

Some people never learn.
------------
spot on! There are some right dipsticls around.

The amount of revision of history you get at times on TW. Everton were going to be relegated in 2002. We were one point above the relegation zone, had won one game in the previous three months - to freefallin Sunderland 1-0 at home. We couldn't buy a goal. Not over three games - over 3 months.

Everton are now classed alongside four other teams, with nowhere near the finances of any of them. Spurs, Liverpool, Villa, and of couse post-Sheikh revolutioon Man City.

I have loved what he has done to us. No longer ashamed in the compay of reds. We are their equal in footballing quality for the first time in 20 years - as some like to say, FACT!

We desperately need a right midfielder and a striker. Were Moyes manager of any of those three clubs, he would get the money.

And I reckon one day he will leave us for Spurs or UTD. And we will mourn his going; some of us later than others, but it will be a quantum leap backwards for Everton. But it won't for Moyes. We are damned lucky to have him.

I hope the one poster who imagined this is a ruse to get last minute money is right. We should go all out for AT LEAST one of striker or RM. Even with the likes of Yobo or Yak leaving if that's what it takes. How anyone expected us to get top 4 without a RM is beyond me. Everyone else has two.
Roberto Birquet
84   Posted 31/08/2010 at 00:49:21

Tommy Meehan
---------------
Charlton is the one that comes to my mind too. And Scala at Parma. But they had a replacement in Ancelotti and money to back it up.

Yes I know we are not bloody Charlton, but pre-Moyes, we were talked about in terms of Leicester and Southampton. Or am I wrong? revisers of history?
Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
85   Posted 31/08/2010 at 00:50:10

Charlie, read what Alex said ? NIce response!

Some points for you to bear in mind:

All rumours should be treated as shite until proven otherwise;

All discussion of rumours is equally suspect; based on little or nothing;

We are not going to waste our time trying to verify what anyone posts on a rumour-related thread.

If YOU can prove they or anyone else is lying, have at it!
Brendan O'Doherty
86   Posted 31/08/2010 at 00:53:41

Roberto

"No longer ashamed in the compay of reds. We are their equal in footballing quality for the first time in 20 years"

We are their BETTERS in footballing quality for the first time since whenever..

Last season's derby at their place showed it, when they tried to kick us off the park. And it will be the same this season. We are not the finished article by a long way, but the Villa game showed how we dominate teams that are supposedly are equals, by passing them off the park. Onwards and upwards.
Roberto Birquet
87   Posted 31/08/2010 at 01:04:57

Brendan O'Doherty
Fair point about Liverpool. Strange we lose the game but Liverpool's gameplan was what my Red brother would dismiss as our typical tactics against them.

Liverpool thought we were better than them, and played in its broadest possible meaning accordingly - I felt strangley (as we lost) quite superior that week.

Consider me fairly reproached.
Brendan O'Doherty
88   Posted 31/08/2010 at 01:10:44

No worries Roberto. It wasn't meant as a reproach, just an elaboration of your comment!

As you say, it was a moral victory.
David Hallwood
89   Posted 31/08/2010 at 01:29:27

I've just heard the Villa's next manager is Riquelme. 100% true betting has been suspended
Dennis Stevens
90   Posted 31/08/2010 at 01:31:26

So Kenwright's not going to swop Moyes for Ashely Young, then?
Eric Myles
91   Posted 31/08/2010 at 02:20:48

If Moyes goes to Villa then some readers may get their wish and we'll get Martin O'Neill as our new manager? (Where IS Tony Marsh hiding these days? Or was he banned?)
Colin Swain
92   Posted 31/08/2010 at 02:19:14

How many players have we been linked with that have come to nothing, just last week we were favourites at the bookies to sign bellamy. People jump on the rumour band wagon far too early and start voicing their opinions about the need for change after 3 gamesif the season. I'll be glad when the transfer window shuts, villa sign sven and we can all get back to what really matters. Getting behind our manager and squad everytime we play!!!!
Thomas Williams
93   Posted 31/08/2010 at 02:34:21

Will you all please stop blaming the manager for all Everton's faults, Moyes has worked wonders with us, yes he makes mistakes like all managers do, even Ferguson, the previous manager Walter Smith in my mind worked wonders as well, I know most won't agree but, how he kept us in the Prem, after being forced to sell off all the better players we had, was a miracle. Everton are the only non "sky 4" to sell their best players consistently and not get relegated.

The problem is the board and has been since around 1990-1992 and certainly since 2000 it has escalated, if it appear that I am blaming Kenwright, then you are right in that assumption.

Blaming Moyes and Smith is so unfair, when a club of Everton's standing only spends 3m net per season since 1992, in the last 3 transfer windows we have made a profit of 2.3M, fans need to rise up again and demand to know what is going on inside the club?

One thing that stands out most to me about Everton and how it is run is this, "how much is the club up for sale for?" i'm bored with that question and wont answer it, and a chairman telling shareholders "there will be no more EGM or maybe even AGM's" this is completely unprecedented in any boardroom in the world, tell me how and why, is it accepted in ours?

Elgin Joshua
94   Posted 31/08/2010 at 03:22:20

Just checked. Sir Alex at 2/1 to replace Moyesie. Cross my heart.

Get a life lads. It aint happening
Albert Perkins
95   Posted 31/08/2010 at 03:08:32

Albert Perkins ( who saw Alex Young play).

The woman who delivers my mail in Eugene, Oregon told me that she heard from her son's English exchange student, whose auntie cleans for Randy Lerner's dog walker, that Moyes was seen at Villa Park on Sunday.
So we need to be afraid, very afraid.
Jay Harris
96   Posted 31/08/2010 at 03:33:14

For what its worth my take on it is this.

Lerner is a known admirer of Moyes and has put him at the top of his shopping list. He has also stated he wants an experienced Premier League manager. Put 2 and 2 together make 7 and you have the idiots ball at the bookies.

As Bill was supping Martinis in Lerners boardroom on Sunday, what response do you think he would have got by saying "I wouldn't mind David Moyes here".

Moyes is far too principled to let down the players he coerced into signing five year deals and if we'd have made a better start to the campaign this rubbish wouldnt have escalated to this level.
Richard Harris
97   Posted 31/08/2010 at 03:52:15

So that explains why David Moyes only played one up front against a demoralised Villa as he wanted to move to a club in the top 4 :0)
John Maxwell
98   Posted 31/08/2010 at 03:47:19

Anyone remember the "Arteta is Finished" rumour?

How about Klinsmann and the helicopter??

Riquelme at John Lennon Airport.???br />
Any more?
Colin Swain
99   Posted 31/08/2010 at 05:54:16

I think Moutinhio signed for us about 8 times in the last few years.
Kristian Boyce
100   Posted 31/08/2010 at 06:15:38

What's the betting Kenwright suddenly comes up with £7-8 million for Moyes to buy a couple of players before the deadline, making sure he stays? Hasn't this happened a few times before, the rumour of Moyes is unhappy/leaving/moaning about money etc... And then Billy magically finds a few million to keep Davie happy.
Brian Williams
101   Posted 31/08/2010 at 06:39:28

FFS....get a grip....If you lot read the sky was falling in you'd all be racing round looking to buy a tin hat!!!!!

Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!

Tony I'Anson
102   Posted 31/08/2010 at 07:37:21

Off topic, but have you seen this re new Blackburn potential owner http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11129127 - his company has been told to stop trading, but his personal wealth (located in Switzerland ) of 3 to 8BILLION is not affected.

Now I wonder how the hell he aquired all that???????????

Moyes' only excuse for leaving is that a player has been sold without his knowledge. Bill wouldn't dare do that, would he?
Eugene Ruane
103   Posted 31/08/2010 at 07:40:47

So let me get this straight.

Joanna Lumley DOES have a plastic arsehole!?
Tony McNulty
104   Posted 31/08/2010 at 08:39:46

Charlie (#81)

I have noted your suggestion before ? but why stop at age? The following could also be provided: academic qualifications; IQ; value of house or houses owned; number of years an Evertonian (we could correlate that with age to see who are the most really keen); make and age of car; number of marriages; number of relatives who have played for the Shite; number of occasions upon which you have worn brown shoes in town; and (following Eugene, #103) composition of current arsehole.

What else might people want to know in order to weigh the opinions of the poster?

Matt Boden
105   Posted 31/08/2010 at 09:00:05

Good riddance! should have got shut after out debacle in the champions league!
Mat Jenggo
106   Posted 31/08/2010 at 09:03:08

Anyway even if Moyes did go, how much will Everton get as compensation?
Perhaps that money can be used to buy players.
Mike Green
107   Posted 31/08/2010 at 08:58:10

Jay Harris - spot on.

Lerner reveals that manager must have Prem experience which wipes out half of the market. Some bright spark looks at who's left and lumps on Moyes with Laddy's causing them to slash their odds to rebalance their book.

Stan Collymore has nothing better to talk about so spends 2 hours on Talksport throwing around the contestable idea (bound to get a few callers...) that Moyes is off.

This combined with "betting suspended" at Ladbrokes prompts a horde of halfwits to check out where they can get the best price at the remaining bookies which causes the entire market to crash.

Add "Robbie Keanes brother" (WTF?!?!) to the mix and the football world has it's story.

ALL prompted by Randy Lerner saying that he was looking for a manager with PL experience and nothing more.

Moyes is going nowhere.

I've just given Dan Petrescu's uncle a bell and he says there's nothing in it, he'd know for sure if there was....
Michael Evans
108   Posted 31/08/2010 at 09:07:23

Tony@104 - I agree with what you're saying to Charlie@81

Why should every "Tom, Dick or Harry" think they can be allowed to submit their opinions on here. The gall of these people is astounding!

Perhaps against our names there should be a photograph of our face? After all, we only want beautiful people on TW, don't we?

Derek Thomas
109   Posted 31/08/2010 at 09:23:44

Derek Thomas; 60yr old grumpy old man / all around fuckin know all and football expert...well thats the qualifications sorted.

Total and utter tosh.
Tony McNulty
110   Posted 31/08/2010 at 09:39:03

Building on your good idea Michael (#107), we probably need two photographs. The first to check your point (no Peter Beardsleys on here) and the second to confirm the answer to the plastic arsehole question.
Robert Workman
111   Posted 31/08/2010 at 10:00:52

It seems that someone has bowled another dodgy 'No Ball'!
Ernie Baywood
112   Posted 31/08/2010 at 09:59:52

With my boyish good looks there's a prospect of people thinking I'm still under 18. Can I just post my credit card details instead?

By the way... hearing that the sale of Rodwell is the reason Moyes will go to Villa (from Villa fans).

Won't happen but it's about all that will be of interest for us today.
Adam Carey
113   Posted 31/08/2010 at 10:17:55

I have to say of all the posts i love the randomness of Robbbie Keane's brother turning up in the thread!
Does anyone else have a tenuous link to match that? :-)
Jimmy Hacking
114   Posted 31/08/2010 at 10:26:09

Everton will sign Kevin Davies from Bolton today. you heard it here first
Mike Green
115   Posted 31/08/2010 at 10:31:40

I wonder if Robbie Keanes brother's any good....?
Les Green
116   Posted 31/08/2010 at 10:55:37

Although I don't believe any of this (probably because I don't know Robbie Keane's brother well enough yet), I would like to point out that Sven wouldn't have any part of Everton as he'd probably like a nice big, fat cheque book to manage with.

Word is that SAF will be the next Everton manager if Moyes leaves for the Real Madrid job ha ha

Eugene (103), Joanna Lumley does have a plastic areshole. She calls it Jennifer Saunders

Brian (101), Is the Sky 4 really falling in?
Joeynkoo Ludden
117   Posted 31/08/2010 at 11:09:24

I was at the Villa on Sunday and from my spec in the upper Dougie I definitely saw Lerner sounding out Moyes... Moyes just laughed in hysterics... but then Lerner had enquired if Everton were for sale...
Glen Anderson
118   Posted 31/08/2010 at 11:44:11

I have it on good faith from Colonel Gaddafi's cousin that Moyes is going to Villa by the end of the day and has lined up Ever Banega, Joao Moutinho, Manuel Fernandes and Juan Roman Riquelme as he thinks Villa don't have enough central midfielders. He will ignore the problem of their ageing (Carew & Heskey) centre forwards, and will bench Ashley Young and Marc Albrighton as he doesn't like out and out wingers. You heard it here first. Honestly, you may as well believe what I wrote here rather than 99.9% of all the other stuff in this thread and on TW's Rumours Page.
Gordon Byrne
119   Posted 31/08/2010 at 12:50:51

mike green #114 na he was only an average player!! robbie called him and told his that moyes was a shoe in for the villa job, bullshit yes but so are most rumours during silly season!
John Maxwell
120   Posted 31/08/2010 at 13:11:53

Does anyone have a link to prove Robbie Keane has a brother ?
David Crowe
121   Posted 31/08/2010 at 13:25:58

I pray to God we're all laughing at all these comments in a few hours... and we've signed someone
David Crowe
122   Posted 31/08/2010 at 13:32:42

Ray Roche (69). Well bloody said mate!
Charlie Percival
123   Posted 31/08/2010 at 14:07:51

Yes I was frustrated which Is why I made my comment. I know it was a silly suggestion in hindsight, but the comments on these sights can be eye ball popping at times. Anyway heres to signing Donovan and Gudjohnson today.
Charlie Percival
124   Posted 31/08/2010 at 14:09:29

Yes, we really are going to give Rodwell a 5-year contract then two weeks later sell him. STREWTH. Moyes is really going to Villa because Pienaar is going behind his back......isn't that why O'neill left?

Moyes is the most loyal manbager in the prem. he always said he would honour his Everton contract.

There are only 3 clubs he will leave for, MANURE, CELTIC, SCOTLAND. Mourinho = next Man Utd manager, so that rules that one out anyway. I wish people would think before speaking sometimes.
Chris Butler
125   Posted 31/08/2010 at 15:03:20

Why don't we just bloody wait and see what happens. Look at Martin Jol at Fulham. I think it would be unlikely he'd leave now for the simple reasons they've sold Milner, Everton outplayed Villa,he'd have no time to spend Lerners money anyway and we've finished above Villa consistently under Moyes until last season. Moyes is better spending small amounts on players like Cahill, Pienaar, Baines and Jagielka rather than the inconsistent Feliani who by the way played superb against Villa but to say he's still hasn't proved that he's worth the money we payed for him but time will tell.
Ciarán McGlone
126   Posted 31/08/2010 at 15:16:10

"Moyes is the most loyal manbager in the Prem"

Lordy, lord...I nearly shat myself!

That explains a lot.. David Moyes is a 'loyal manbager'....
Charlie Percival
127   Posted 31/08/2010 at 16:39:40

haha Ciaran didnt you know? ;)

lol thanks for bringing that to my attention, you know what I meant :)
Ciarán McGlone
128   Posted 31/08/2010 at 16:53:14

No problem Charlie... Pointing out typos is not clever or bright... but that one was quite funny!
John Brennan
129   Posted 31/08/2010 at 18:29:06

Walter Smith might be willing to come to us.
Tom Bowers
130   Posted 31/08/2010 at 18:26:53

Why would Moyes go to Villa? They wouldn't give O'Neil any money to spend so Moyes would be taking a sideways step to a team inferior to Everton despite the lucky win on Sunday and already out of Europe.Having said that I strongly believe that Moyes will leave this season as it appears he has not been able to motivate this squad judging by the early results against average opposition.Yes, I know it's only been 3 games but there are significant signs that it will be a struggle again.He will get a big offer from another club probably Manure.
Lee Kidd
131   Posted 31/08/2010 at 19:31:18

Gotta admit I sh*t myself when I heard about this. Thankfully, it's a load of bollocks. I'm not Moyes' biggest fan but if he left now the timing would have been devastating.
Ian Edwards
132   Posted 31/08/2010 at 19:42:19

I'd drive him there myself.

8 years without a trophy.

Most negative football ever to (dis)grace Goodison.

Good riddance
Brendan O'Doherty
133   Posted 31/08/2010 at 19:46:44

"Most negative football ever to (dis)grace Goodison"

Ah yes, who could forget Walter Smith's great attacking 5-3-2 formation, with centre backs at full-back, and defenders playing upfront.

Happy days.
Tony J Williams
134   Posted 31/08/2010 at 21:43:22

Great balanced debating Ian. Don't look at the team that he has had to build on a pittance but the fact that he has been in a job for 8 years and hasn't won a trophy....doh!
Darren Dempsey
135   Posted 31/08/2010 at 21:43:16

Ian (132) i suppose you were overjoyed with the brand of football Walter played! Short memory some people!
Ian Edwards
136   Posted 31/08/2010 at 22:09:04

Brendan...

At least with Walter there was 2 up front.

And as for players out of position look at Moyes three games this season. Cahill on the right wing at Blackburn and then Rodwell got thesame treatment at Villa. Even chasing the game at Villa we had one up front and brought on another defender with 10 minutes to go.

Tony... team built on a pittance? Fellaini £15M, Yakubu £8M, Bily £10M (yes good value there), Heitinga £5...obviously all small change.No other manager has been at a club for 8 years after continued failure..
Chris Butler
137   Posted 31/08/2010 at 22:31:32

Moyes has taken Everton as far as he can it's a fact most Evertonians know. Tony do you honestly believe that Moyes is going to stay for much longer? We don't have a rich arab owner who can give him the finances to buy the players he wants to without having to sell his best players to fund signings.

What annoys me the most is that I care about where Everton finish like most people do and most peole are too blind to realise that when Moyes eventually leaves we'll be left with an ageing squad, no money and playing at a dilapidated stadium which nobody wants.

Tony J Williams
138   Posted 31/08/2010 at 23:02:12

Ian, how much has be recouped on selling players? Our net spend for the last 3 seasons must be almost a minus number.

Chris, no I don't think Moyes will stay for much longer, there is only so much bullshit a man can take. No money and as you said the "stars" in the team are getting on now. However I don't feel that just because a manager of an average team hasn't won a trophy with said average team is open for such dubious remarks that have been put his way of late.

Yes he has made loads of mistakes and continues to make mistakes still but as I have always said, we are a slightly above average side whose players are constantly berated on here and in the same sentence the manager is given loads when he can't make these "crap players" win things. It's one or the other, either the team is brilliant an the manager is so bad he is holding them back or our team is nowhere near as good as we want/hope it to be. I know which option I subscribe to.

I have often said that the players get away with it all on here (unless it is Hibbert/Osman/Neville) Sunday was a perfect example, they battered a demoralised Villa side everywhere but where it was important. How many passes behind a player or wimpy crosses do people need to do before they start getting blamed for losses/draws as well as Moyes?

Moyes substitution of Hibbert on Sunday, moving Coleman back to right back was a stupid sub, so yes he takes a lot of the blame, but those feckers in the middle, who either can't track a man or shoot from more than 5 yards needs to be lambasted as much as Moyes, if not more sometimes.
Neil Steele
139   Posted 31/08/2010 at 23:28:23

I knew it was too good to be true, nobody in their right mind would take the ginger whinger off us...and at 65k a week or whatever it is he's on...he'll be in no hurry to leave either.

No, I can assure all the Moyes lovers out their that your hero won't be going anywhere for the foreseeable future.

None of the clubs that you guys, or maybe even Moyes himself, are deluded enough to believe genuinely covet him would be interested in a manager with his track record, or coaching style.

The best hope that we (well, I) have, is that he will get bored of failing in the Prem and go up to Celtic for a change of scene.
Craig Bellew
140   Posted 31/08/2010 at 23:32:48

This is a pile of shit, Moyes would not leave us for a team that in my opinion are an INFERIOR team.

He may have a little more American cash to spend, but let's face it, they ain't going anywhere in a hurry and I can guarantee come the end of season table we will be ABOVE Villa.

They were there for the taking the other day, and will continue over the season with the same average performances that were on show against us.

If it was Sir Alex shown the door or who had resigned I'd say fair enough, but Villa FFS I've got more chance of wearing our famous number 9 shirt than Moysie taking over the helm at Villa.
Brendan O'Doherty
141   Posted 01/09/2010 at 00:08:07

"nobody in their right mind would take the ginger whinger off us."

My my, Neil, aren't we in an abusive mood this evening ?

First you absolutely slaughter Yobo on the day he leaves Everton, on the other thread.

Then you resort to personally abusing David Moyes about the colour of his hair on this one, and because you see him as a "whinger." You then ludicrously claim that no-one would take him off us, and that no-one "would be interested in a manager with his track record."

Now, you may or more likely may not like David Moyes (I suspect the latter), but to say that no-one would take him off us shows the midget-like extent of your knowledge of football.

Whinger ? Sums you up nicely.
Neil Steele
142   Posted 01/09/2010 at 00:29:36

Humour me then Brendan...which other club will pay David Moyes the salary that he is on at Everton. In your own time.
Brendan O'Doherty
143   Posted 01/09/2010 at 00:32:31

I see. That's what you've got against him - his salary. A(nother) stick with which to beat him with,

Would you turn it down?

Me neither.

I suggest you direct your complaints about his remuneration at the chairman.
Neil Steele
144   Posted 01/09/2010 at 00:37:09

Try putting my first post back together again Brendan instead of isolating things in order to deflect...you'll find it fits together and makes perfect sense.
The salary Moyes gets paid is that of top manager, a real top end manager...so, you tell me....who else is going to pay him that kind of money??
My suggestion is nobody.The reason for that is simple, he is vastly overrated, and vastly over paid.
He took the silence money and sold the fans down the river.
It doesn't change the fact though that Everton is as good as it will ever get for Moyes.
The resentment I have is the way some fans build him up to be more than he is...because they are so downtrodden and devoid of ambition....ruled by fear as opposed to belief.
Brendan O'Doherty
145   Posted 01/09/2010 at 00:45:17

Neil

I didn't say that your post did not make sense, YOU isolated the salary part by putting it in a question of it's own. To answer your question directly, I accept that Moyes would be unlikely to get a similar salary at another club, unless it was United.

"The reason he is paid that is because it was Kenwright's 'bribe' to him after the disastrous summer we had a few years ago, when he looked ready to walk.
He took the silence money and sold the fans down the river."

Now we are getting to the bottom of this - the real reason for your evident loathing of Moyes.

What 'disastrous' summer are you referring to ? Every summer is a nightmare for us in the transfer market, none worse than this one. If I understand you correctly, you are seriously suggesting that BK 'bribed' DM to get him 'onside' as it were, and 'bought his silence' if I can put it like that.

That's very interesting. It would certainly explain your resentment, and your paranoia that the two are inextricably linked. Don't get the "sold the fans down the river" bit though.

I cannot agree that DM is continuing with his job, thinking to himself," Well so what? I'm on a great salary, and the chairman won't sack me. So what if I can't buy any new players, I'll just have to keep quiet about it . Sod the fans anyway, what do they know?"

As conspiracy theories go Neil, that is up there with them. I could be wrong and you could be right. But I don't think so.