Members:   Log In Sign Up

Bye Joe

Mixed feelings today with the departure of Joey Yobo. He gave us great service, but was allowed to go in search of more regular first-team football.

Who could forget the 'calamity' errors against the likes of Man Utd when he passed straight to Rooney? But then there were great moments, like some last-gasp tackling, and of course his goal against Chelsea.

But overall a great servant of 8 years, which is quite a long time these days. I wish him well in Fenerbahce.

Best of luck, Joe.
Brendan O' Doherty, Ireland     Posted 31/08/2010 at 19:51:39

Comments

Neil Steele
1   Posted 31/08/2010 at 20:36:11

A good 5 years overdue, composureless hoof merchant.

Nothing against him as a bloke but we are well shut, load of crap.
Joe Carroll
2   Posted 31/08/2010 at 20:36:17

I'm actually a bit sad to see him go. Would have liked to see him battle for his place as I feel he is a quality centre half. Of course if he's genuinely fallen out of favour then there's probably not much point in him sticking around.All the best Joey
David Price
3   Posted 31/08/2010 at 20:37:42

Well said Brendan, no need to slag him off, he did his best for us, irrespective of it being good enough or not.
Joe McMahon
4   Posted 31/08/2010 at 20:43:11

Neil, thats a bit harsh. He's done his best for us, he did have the odd lapse in concentration, and to fair the biggest hoof merchant in the entire division is Jaqs.
Joey Brown
5   Posted 31/08/2010 at 20:45:05

I met him once at a pre season game couldn't have been a nicer guy. I wish him all the best at his new club where I'm sure he'll show his quality.
Gerry Western
6   Posted 31/08/2010 at 20:40:42

Short memories, he came to us when we were rock bottom and he was considered to be very decent defender. When others jumped ship he remained loyal to us when he could have moved. I still remember thinking I hope he doesn't he doesn't go. He's older now and I'd have liked to have kept him as insurance at the back. If we get an injury we'll be down to the bare bones.
Ped Pearl
7   Posted 31/08/2010 at 20:47:40

Thank you Gerry Western. Couldn't agree more.

Joe Yobo is an international captain, has great pace and tackling ability - he made, what was it? Mistakes you could count on 1 hand in 8 years of service and he is called crap. The Jag has made the same type of errors also - being human. If you haven't got anything good to say about a loyal Blue then why say anything at all. Seriously.

Good Luck Yobo.. Yobo...Yobo!!
Ian Kearney
8   Posted 31/08/2010 at 20:55:40

Well said Gerry, when he had one left on his deal there was interest in him, but he stayed, not a million miles behind Distin or even Jags in my mind, his pace got us out of trouble plenty of times.
James Stewart
9   Posted 31/08/2010 at 20:53:41

I wish Yobo all the best. Well said Ped also. Yobo had some cracking performances over the years. He sadly didn't quite ever realise his potential but is still a usual player. In fact I would say of the current CB's only Heitinga is better. Jagielka, Distin and Yobo are all about the same level if you ask me and Yobo has made less mistakes in his entire EFC career than Distin has in one season. Moyes seems to love Distin due to his size though so I can't say I blame Yobo for moving on.

He was a loyal servant of EFC and I wish him all the best.
James Elworthy
10   Posted 31/08/2010 at 20:59:47

Yobo was outside Sainsburys Woolton on Saturday morning in his Black Bentley. He said hello and said he was carrying an injury and wouldnt be playing on Sunday.
He has been one of our most consistent performers over the years and I wish him well, a very likeable man and true gentleman who played the game fairly.
Kevy Quinn
11   Posted 31/08/2010 at 21:05:00

Would echo all the good wishes for him.

Just can't understand how we can afford to send him out on loan. Sure his wages are off the bill, but could we not have sold him during the summer?

All we have been told all summer is that we are skint, then it appears a player is surplus and we wait til deadline day and send him on loan! Typical shit from us, weaken the squad as usual on transfer deadline day instead of strengthen it!
Thor Sørensen
12   Posted 31/08/2010 at 21:11:13

I wish him all the best!
A loyal servant of the club for many years and one of our most consistent performers. He was brilliant in his first few seasons and has saved us many times over the years. A true gentleman of the sport.
Chad Schofield
13   Posted 31/08/2010 at 21:11:11

Good luck Joey!
Obviously wanted more opportunities and will hopefully get them. He's been nothing but a loyal servant to Everton. Thanks for everything.
Charles King
14   Posted 31/08/2010 at 21:11:21

Good luck and thanks Joe, some people forget when Manure were sniffing around you stayed.
You were at the start of a return to respectability for this club, critical comments are subjective and tolerated.

Neil #1.....verging on abuse there, not deserved.
Nick Entwistle
15   Posted 31/08/2010 at 21:29:35

When he first joined the club the man was a beast, totally unplayable for any striker. Kinda gone backwards, or not lived up to that start, but one from the early days of Moyes and if you support him, then its sad to see his first signing go.
Jon Randles
16   Posted 31/08/2010 at 21:29:05

When are our board members going to put there hand in their own pockets and invest in the future and not just sit there and take, take, take? Do you hear that, Mr Robert Earl? Do you hear that, Mr Jon Woods?? DO YOU HEAR THAT BILL??? We the fans will not put up with year after year of being lied to.
Neil Steele
17   Posted 31/08/2010 at 21:34:37

Charles, be serious...it's not any kind of abuse, it is the cold hard truth. His performances for a good 4 years have been shambolic and he should have been moved on much earlier. You will have to excuse me for not being all that sentimental about footballers who get paid £50k a week when they move to a new club.

He did a good job for us right at the start, but for too long players like Yobo - and there are a few left - have held us back.

As a bloke, I wish him all the very best. As a player, I am glad to see the back of him.
Peter Laing
18   Posted 31/08/2010 at 21:31:43

Good luck to Joe Yobo, seems that the rumour of him having a falling out with Moyes towards the back end of last season was true. Will be remembered for his pace and the occasional gaff, or as my mate next to me in the Upper Bullens says "another fucking Yobo" when he was invariably so nearly dispossessed carrying the ball out of defence!
Nick Entwistle
19   Posted 31/08/2010 at 21:38:29

So what will you do about it John #15?
Jon Randles
20   Posted 31/08/2010 at 21:41:04

What can i do Nick, have a moan to fellow blues about how i feel then pick myself up tomorrow and support us come what may.
Tony J Williams
21   Posted 31/08/2010 at 21:44:55

Cracking defender but his errors almost invariably ended up with a goal against us.....just like the three mistakes and three goals this season.....but hey lets slag off a player that hasn't played for us for about half a season in total....!!!
Anthony Millington
22   Posted 31/08/2010 at 21:53:21

Yobo has had a poor couple of years by his standards, but I would rather we never signed Distin and kept Yobo. Yobo is certainly no worse than Distin and is younger. I don't understand why Distin is untouchable in our side. The days when we used to keep clean sheets are long gone, we always seem to concede with Distin in the side and yet Yobo is the one who many continue to slate.

Good look Joey! Had all the attributes but just made too many mistakes at the end of the day. I remember one time watching Match of the Day when Newcastle scored against us and they pointed out Yobo in the background tying his boot as they scored.
Mike Green
23   Posted 31/08/2010 at 21:50:34

Well said Brendan.

All the very best to him - a real professional who did a job for us for years - good luck Joseph.

Flashes of greatness but too many hands over the face looking through my fingers moments also, from day 1 I always had an unsettling feeling of "oh no...." whenever he went for the ball which is perhaps unfair but there we go.

We've got enough cover in the position, shame we couldnt put the savings on his wages towards some new blood on the right.
Neil Steele
24   Posted 31/08/2010 at 22:12:24

He's so good not one Premier League club would pay a reasonable enough fee for us to sell him...which the club would have been delighted to. I think that explains pretty clearly that those of you saying "he's a cracking defender" really haven't got much of a clue. "He's a cracking defender...he just tends to switch off and give loads of goals away...shame like".
Rob Hollis
25   Posted 31/08/2010 at 22:36:29

It is probably time for him to move on but don't forget who was central to our defence when we were masters of the one - nil win.

Good luck to him. Football would have a better image if it were populated by people like him.
Alex Robinson
26   Posted 31/08/2010 at 22:19:06

Joey came in at the start of Moyes shaking up the club and he did us proud at the time. We'd been relying on the likes of Michael Ball, David Unsworth and Davie Weir at the time. Not bad players, don't get me wrong, but we needed to "make the next step up" if we were not only gonna stay in the Prem but be serious European challengers.

Cue a revolution, with Moyes bringing in the likes of Radzinski, Kilbane and Bent, and the likes of Ginola and Blomqvist sent packing. Oh, and a certain Master Rooney made an appearance...
A few years down the line and a few players have come and gone (including said Master Rooney) but Joey did his bit. Yes he screwed up (THAT back-pass to Shrek), but he did us proud too (the aformentioned goal against Chelsea). I just hope that he'll be regarded as a fine player in his day, but, like any relationship, sometimes it's time to part company when the job's done.

God bless ya Joey, you did us proud at the time. A warm welcome back at Goodison should always be guranteed :)

Paul Oakes
27   Posted 31/08/2010 at 22:45:14

The thing with Joey, was his large periods of matches where he'd switch off. He almost seemed petrified of getting the ball if he was defending, and he just lump it in the stands or lump it to the oncoming players.

He was also rather prone to putting the ball into the back of his own net on more than several occasions.

I think the decision to send him packing was probably the right thing to do, if we want to play passing football rather than hoofing all the time. It's no coincidence that when we do play it on the deck not too many teams can compete with it, but as always there must be an end product. I don't believe we do have an end product. Saha hasn't scored in around 6 months now since he signed his contract.

Still I do wish Joey all the best, I think he got worse over the years, and he simply was not good enough for the demands of today's Premier League.
Tony J Williams
28   Posted 31/08/2010 at 22:57:16

Neil, in that sense Arteta and Pienaar must be gash too, as not one premiership club actually put an offer in for them....unless you believe the rubbish about Awwry.

Can you imagine it? An inquiry

Awwry - Is Pienaar for Sale
Bill - No Awwry, do one

6 weeks later

Awwry - What about now?
Bill - No Awwry, sling your hook.
Neil Steele
29   Posted 31/08/2010 at 23:04:11

Tony, err, no it's not like that at all is it? They are first team players, Yobo was a bench warmer. Arteta would command a massive fee, as would Pienaar were he not in the last year of his contract... which Moyes has clearly stated he would let him see out as opposed to selling him now.

Why bother making such an utterly stupid 'point'. Yobo is for sale, we would have taken £4m for him and shook hands....with 4 years left on his contract.

The reason not one Premier League club made a serious offer is simple...they can see what I can see... that he's rubbish.

For some reason a lot of Evertonians seem to think that having big muscles, being able to run fast and jump high makes you a top Premier League player, well i'm sorry but it doesn't.

The lad was a hopeless defender and his composure and decision making were absolutely woeful.

I don't want to slag him off honestly, some of the nonsense being written here is ridiculous though. The reason he has been let go on loan is because that's all we could get for him... a loan. Because he's crap.
Ciarán McGlone
30   Posted 31/08/2010 at 23:16:50

Don't understand this one at all. The loaning of Joey makes no sense whatsoever.

I'd have him in the team before Jags.
Charles King
31   Posted 31/08/2010 at 23:18:39

Neil

I disagree with you.

Which is more acceptable the above or

your comments are a "load of crap"
Steve Kidd
32   Posted 31/08/2010 at 23:21:20

I remember his debut against Fulham and I was completely stunned by how good he was. He seemed to have everything back then, as well as an ability to bring the ball confidentely out of defence. Unfortunately for Yob, he seems to have gone backwards over the last couple of years, I still think he is a good defender, but he seems a bit soft for me and always needed a screamer ( a real Dave Watson type) playing alongside him to get the best out of him.

I think it was the Sporting game that really nailed it for him, shame really as I would love to have a player as good as him for back up, however can totally understand his reasons for leaving as he wants first team football at this stage of his career, and I for one wish him all the best. YOBO YOBO!!!

Neil Steele
33   Posted 31/08/2010 at 23:23:56

"acceptable"? I'd say they are both "acceptable".

Which is more insightful and substantiated, my words, or yours?

Of course, as always, i'm wrong about Yobo. He's absolutely superb...just that no other Premier League managers can see it, obviously.

To think, some people honestly believed we beat Juventus to sign him and that Arsenal wanted him 2 years ago!!

That fact is that Joseph would have more chance of getting a move to Billy Smarts circus than either of those clubs.

Again though, nothing personal against him...he's just rubbish.
Charles King
34   Posted 31/08/2010 at 23:29:02

Sorry Neil, not playing. Don't know why you're sounding off, reminds me of that old saying:
" anyone can make a mistake , only an idiot persists in the error"
Trevor Lynes
35   Posted 31/08/2010 at 23:33:30

Is this column an outlet for Neils garbage...I can well remember Mr Wenger enquiring after Yobo a couple of years after we signed him...he was at the heart of our defence when we were laid seige to by the top teams a few years ago...he has not made any more mistakes than any top centre back in the premier....he has been a great servant and always tried his best for the team...he does not deserve the crap and snide comments....Mr Steeles comments are cruel and wholly inaccurate...im my opinion !!
Neil Steele
36   Posted 31/08/2010 at 23:48:55

So if he is all that...why couldn't he even get in our SQUAD this season Trevor? Thanks for labelling my comments 'garbage' by the way, I will await your link to these quotes attributed to Mr Wenger...which don't exist.
Sorry if the truth offends, it's all I feel like dealing in today after being let down again by this club.
Roy Coyne
37   Posted 31/08/2010 at 23:53:20

Well said Gerry(6) he could have moved on years ago if he wanted but stayed loyal I wish him all the best and thnk him for his efforts while here
Pat Finegan
38   Posted 01/09/2010 at 00:00:22

I'm glad, in a way, to see Yobo go. We are better off in the long run 1) getting him off the payroll and 2) getting some playing time for Shane Duffy. Duffy is a fully capable 4th string CB.
Andy Crooks
39   Posted 01/09/2010 at 00:26:37

I actually believe that at his best Joey was as good a centre back as there was in the premier league . He was a proper Evertonian and wish him well. Pat, Shane Duffy will be a star and I don't believe he is the 4th best central at the club.
James Stewart
40   Posted 01/09/2010 at 00:30:42

Whats more worrying to me is that Distin is considered a first choice CB. This is not an upgrade on Yobo at all. Distin was crap again Villa and the way he let Young just run and run at him was pathetic.

This is the Season on which Moyes must be judged and so far he has been poor. A pairing of Jagielka and Distin at CB will not keep a clean sheet all season and this needs addressing!
Pat Finegan
41   Posted 01/09/2010 at 00:35:47

Andy, are you saying he is better than 4th best? Better than Distin? I agree that he will be a star and i think that he is a solid option behind Jags, Distin and Heitinga. Whatever, let's just hope we don't have to use the 4th string CB whoever it may be!

Just to clarify, I have nothing against Yobo at all and I wish him the best. Truly a dedicated Evertonian but not worth the wages anymore. It was a move that, unfortunately, had to be made for the betterment of the club.
Tom Campbell
42   Posted 01/09/2010 at 01:39:44

Sad to see him leave. I still think hes our best center back alongside Jags. Better allround defender then Heitinga or Distin.
Paul Olsen
43   Posted 01/09/2010 at 01:48:26

At his best a really classy defender. His physical abilities almost second to none!

Good luck Joseph Yobo
John Daley
44   Posted 01/09/2010 at 01:38:11

C'mon, in no way can Yobo be described as a top class centre half. Yes he looked to have great potential when he first joined the club and the fact he had pace made him a decent enough partner for slow pokes Stubbs & Weir. However, he suffered from a loss of concentration at crucial times and often seemed to be day dreaming rather than remaining focused on his defensive duties. He needed an older head alongside him to talk him through games and make sure he didn't switch off at inopportune moments.

Whether he's any worse than Distin though is open to debate.
Ernie Baywood
45   Posted 01/09/2010 at 01:55:56

One of the few players I do have some sentimental thoughts about. He was a rock when he signed and stayed loyal to us when he had impressed enough to go elsewhere after the intial loan. My mind goes back to the day at Newcastle when Shearer eventually volleyed the winner... it was the only way he was going to beat us as Yobo repelled everything that came forward.

The fact is that we've moved forward as a club and a valiant last line of defence sort isn't the right fit, we need someone who can bring the ball out and play a bit. Good luck to him, though.

Jon Randles #16... give it a rest. Why do you expect them to spend millions out of their own pockets? You don't seem to understand just how rare that would be.
Alex Robinson
46   Posted 01/09/2010 at 03:05:01

John Daley! (#43) exposes the good and bad points about Yobo quite nicely. He had pace to burn in his prime, but his reading of the game was (and I hate to say this) always a bit suspect. Stubbs and Weir were never the quickest, but they could read what was coming at them and did what was necessary. Yobo never had that.

Great Everton teams were built around central defenders who could READ the game (Rats, Watson et al), and if they had a bit of pace that was a bonus. Jags has got it, Johnny H potentially has it, as well as Duffy, but we'll never get to former heights unless we have that kind of player ruling the roost in the back 4.

Back that up with a goalkeeper who doesn't give a shit, can organise his defense AND is a phenomenal shot stopper (and can catch a cross or two) - and we're there (does Big Nev have a son?!)

Adam Fenlon
47   Posted 01/09/2010 at 01:32:57

Best of luck to a very good defender, who unfortunately is no longer one of the two best at the club.
Adam Fenlon
48   Posted 01/09/2010 at 03:55:46

Unfortunately for him that is.
Eugene Ruane
49   Posted 01/09/2010 at 05:53:39

If you know nothing at all about football or footballers and you want the world to know this, either of the following methods will be fine.

1) Wear a t-shirt that says "I honestly don't know a single fucking thing about football".

2) Let people know you think Joseph Yobo is a 'load of crap'.
Adam Fenlon
50   Posted 01/09/2010 at 07:17:13

Incidentally, I always thought Turkey was a pretty difficult place for black footballers to ply their trade. Hopefully he doesn't have to suffer much mindless racist rubbish!
Tony J Williams
51   Posted 01/09/2010 at 08:58:26

Ernie (45) If memory serves, that unbeaten run ending game came about when Yobo was sent off. That was the only way they could score
Joeynkoo Ludden
52   Posted 01/09/2010 at 09:51:21

Consistantly poor. He went to Turkey for a reason, no other PL side would have him.
Ernie Baywood
53   Posted 01/09/2010 at 09:58:44

Tony (#51) just dug out a report and you're right. He was sent off with 20 mins to go at 0-1.

At that point a team that retained very little possession had gone 10 hours without conceding... even with Wright in goal! Not bad at all for a shite defender, eh?
Ray Robinson
54   Posted 01/09/2010 at 10:05:38

The team has moved on and Joe has not kept apace. In the early days, he was a rock - I remember a 1-0 away win at Blackburn in particular.

I think 8 years service from a young African lad is immense. Although liable to switch off in matches occasionally, he certainly was not "crap" and I wish him all the best in Turkey.
Alan Clarke
55   Posted 01/09/2010 at 10:41:21

Jokeynoo, Yobo didn't go to a PL team because we wouldn't let him. I can only assume that the Turkish side had the funds whereas West Ham will have been dicking us around again with the valuation and terms of payment.

I've been trying to get my head round it. I'm actually with Ciaran, Yobo is as good as Jagielka and Neil's first comment could easily be applied to Jags as well.

Moyes would have been far better off selling Jagielka to Arsenal for £14 million then actually addressing the real problems in our team. Letting Yobo go pretty much on a free and not raising any funds for buying a striker and a right winger means we are now looking at a top 10 finish rather than a top 4. If Everton have a buy to sell policy then Moyes needs to learn to wheel and deal better. now all we're left with is a team that can't score and has no balance.
Joeynkoo Ludden
56   Posted 01/09/2010 at 12:00:33

Alan, he's on a loan, that doesn't support your money theory. I don't think, though it would be nice, that we have the clout to not let some of our players go to other PL sides for tactical reasons. Although we did let Rooney go to Bayern instead of Muchen ey....
Neil Steele
57   Posted 01/09/2010 at 12:31:03

Alan Clarke..what a load of tripe. He can't even get in the bleedin squad, yet we "wouldn't let him go to an english club". What nonsense, we'd have let him go to anyone willing to pay a reasonable fee...circa £4m would be my guess. The fact that nobody was willing, not just West Ham, tells you all you need to know. The suggestion that he is as good as Jagielka, yet we could sell Jagielka for about 4 times as much, and he is a current England international...should really tell you that you are missing something.
Andy Mack
58   Posted 01/09/2010 at 12:21:32

Sad the lad didn't get to say farewell at Goodison, he's put in a great shift for us over the years and it would have been good for us to let him know he was appreciated here over the last decade. Errors and storming headers. We've had twats like Barmby, AvdM and Bilic in our ranks, Yobo wasn't like that. I suppose he was one of our high earners a few years ago so that might have caused problems with players getting improved deals.

Some storming performances and don't see the sense in a 1yr loan deal. Yobo is no worse than any of our other defenders, we mention his blunders, but he pulled our old guard backline Stubbs/Weir out of many a bad situation over the years. And as for error prone... Jags, Heitinger, Distin just as bad. Ah well... Best of luck Joey, hope you'll get to play at Goodison again someday.
Danny Burke
59   Posted 01/09/2010 at 12:28:26

I honestly wonder if some people watch the same game sometimes to come up with such polorised opinions on the same subject.

Joeseph Yobo was certainly NOT a "load of crap" he was absolutly immense when he came here and while he may not have fulfilled his immense potential I think he is certainlty a top quality centre half. I rate him similar to Jags and Heitinga and above Distin. He has great pace, could tackle, is strong and won more than his share of headers. He seemed to lose the ability to bring the ball out of defence after a while and used the centre halfs get out of jail free card by hoofing if more and more. That is my biggest critacism of him. I don't think his mistakes were that many, Shrek being the obvious one. Name another CB who hasn't made mistakes that cost goals, Vidic, Terry, Carragher, Jags. All regarded as some of the best CB around and all have made high profile errors. (For the recored I think Carragher is shite, but never the less he is "regarded" as a good CB).

He has given 8 years loyal service and maybe, just maybe he has gone on loan for games to do him a favour. Jags, Distin, Heitinga all more than capable with Duffy and Mustaphi as back up, they may be given a chance.

Good luck Joe, if you are back here next season I will certianly welcome it. BK may herald it as "being like a new signing!"
Jimmy Hacking
60   Posted 01/09/2010 at 13:05:55

I'm sick of the guff that gets parroted time and again about Yobo's "frequent" mistakes.

Yes he's made a few gaffes, but then how many blunders has Jags, Baines, Stubbs (still have nightmares about some of his, he simply COULD NOT judge the bounce on a long ball), Neville, Weir, Naysmith, or Hibbert made under Moyes' reign? (I don't include the new boys, they haven't had enough time to gain a bad reputation yet).

Answer: roughly the same percentage per match.

Thanks Joseph, good player, hope you come back to us someday. (Cue jokes about how it will be "like a new signing"!)
Neil Steele
61   Posted 01/09/2010 at 16:32:10

All I will say to those who are convinced that he is as good as our other defenders, or any good at all for that matter, is this; He has been let go for a reason. We couldn't find anyone to agree a fee for a reason.

These are facts, not opinions...facts.

If he was anywhere near as good as Jagielka, teams would be queuing around the block for him. They aren't, none were...we couldn't agree a fee so we have had to settle for a loan...which is of little benefit to us given he has 4 years left on his deal and will be 30 when he returns.

I don't need to justify it, you people are plain wrong...and the facts spell that out clearly.

Birmingham have money, Stoke have money..even Sunderland, Wigan etc. None of them wanted Joseph Yobo though...and for good reason.

Feel free to keep deluding yourselves though...he's absolutely boss, i'm sure Real are just biding their time.
Adam Fenlon
62   Posted 03/09/2010 at 06:14:02

Neil Steele - someone needs to explain the difference between perceptions and facts to you mate. I don't see an actual fact anywhere in your post, just a bunch of opinions.