Members:   Log In Sign Up

Good old Goodison

No, not how dated it is... nor where our new stadium should be... not even how desperate for a new stadium we are.

Instead, where is you're favourite seat at Goodsion?

I've pretty much been in every stand with Lower Gwladys my favourite. Just wondered what others thoughts were?
Matt Brown, Cheshire     Posted 03/09/2010 at 12:02:23

Comments

Alan Kirwin
1   Posted 03/09/2010 at 14:22:04

Back of Lower Bullens has to be the wprst seats in Europe (unless all the football is played on the floor).

Lower Gwladys takes it for me too.
John Daley
2   Posted 03/09/2010 at 14:49:49

Permanently ensconced in the Paddock myself. Habit I guess, but I could be up for a change next season. Although i might miss seeing the linesman getting visibly shaken by all the abuse aimed in his direction.
Richard Reeves
3   Posted 03/09/2010 at 14:55:17

From a purely visible point of view and not atmospheric it would have to be Upper Bullens, at the very front in line with the halfway line.
Brendan O'Doherty
4   Posted 03/09/2010 at 15:04:54

Top Balcony for me. Panoramic (possibly obstructed!) view of the game, taking in shapes, formations, decoy runs, etc.
Chris Wright
5   Posted 03/09/2010 at 15:06:53

I always enjoy the Lower Gwladys but the upper Gwladys in the corner if the view is unobstructed is my favourite.
Vishal Poorundersingh
6   Posted 03/09/2010 at 15:22:42

You are fortunate, coz I watch the games on TV, in Mauritius very far from the Old Lady. Will be there soon, whether it is Paddock, Gwladys, Park end, Bullens or Balcony i will enjoy it.
Chris Keightley
7   Posted 03/09/2010 at 15:46:09

Lower Bullens, no contest!!
Christopher McCullough
8   Posted 03/09/2010 at 15:53:51

Same here Chris#4 Upper Gwladys, I mean. On the opposite side of the screen. Probably because that's my first memory of Goodison, but it's a great place to soak in the atmosphere.

Tony J Williams
9   Posted 03/09/2010 at 16:01:04

Have been in the Lower Gwladys for the last 7 years. Don't like the main stand and I hate the seats you get given on the Lounge deals.
Alex Kociuba
10   Posted 03/09/2010 at 16:24:12

Overall (view, price, atmosphere, seat quality, facilities) the Park End is the best, no doubt about it.

However, a front seat in the Top Balcony has the best actual viewing angle of the game (shame about the shitty wooden seats, atmosphere, facilities etc)
Ian Tod
11   Posted 03/09/2010 at 17:11:19

Purely for viewing the game like on television and watching the play build-up spotting runs and angles, the top of the top balcony is by far the best seats and i've sat everywhere in the ground, purely for atmosphere the lower gladwys takes the cake but i've settled on the top balcony for my season ticket seat because I can take in the game and performances of players better from there.
Jay Harris
12   Posted 03/09/2010 at 17:24:02

I started in the old Goodison road "kop" with my dad and granddad in 1959, then progressed, via the Boys pen, Old Gwladys Street, minor excursion for a short period in the old Bullens (I guess its still Old Bullens), Long period in the main stand and directors box (great hospitality but prefer behind the goals) to the new Park End which has to be the best views anywhere in the ground.

But the hospitality is the same all over the ground (except for the directors box of course) ? warm Chang, dishwater for tea and they always sell out of the pies just before you get there.

I have had a few restricted seat experiences and went for neck surgery afterwards but you cannot beat the middle to rear of the Park End for outstanding views.

Mike Allison
13   Posted 03/09/2010 at 17:59:55

Lower Gwladys isn't for watching football from as you can't see anything. Maybe its the atmosphere you like. Then again, maybe I'm biased as I only went in there for cup games that we lost to lower league opposition.

My season ticket was on the Top Balcony, in line with the centre circle in the Gwladys Street half, and it was an excellent seat for watching football from, especially in terms of seeing the whole pattern of the game in one glance. The only problem is, in terms of atmosphere, you can feel slightly out of it, and the singing rarely penetrated up to the top unless it was an exceptional game.

Main Stand and Upper Bullens give the best overall, and I sat behind the press box once, which was interesting.
Karl Masters
14   Posted 03/09/2010 at 18:24:43

Upper Gwladys in the corner overlooking the Lower Gwladys near the front. Or the Upper Bullens near the front, closely followed by the Paddock and Lower Gwladys, but only the front half with no obstructions.

The view from the Top Balcony can be breathtaking, Park End is too far from the pitch (you can reach out and touch the goal nets at The Gwladys End, but Park End has a gap of about 10 yards and that ruins it for me), I don't like the Main Stand much or the Lower Bullens unless the first couple of rows.

On a slight tangent, has anybody else noticed that we have the most intimidating (to away teams) Family enclosure in Britain?! Full of frothing, baldies in track coats hurling abuse at linesmen, opposition Manager, subs and the 4th official (and sometimes our own players and Moyes) whilst their kids look on open mouthed. :)
Norman Merrill
15   Posted 03/09/2010 at 18:36:00

When I first started to watch the Blues,in the 1950s it was the boys pen, in the corner of the Gwladys St.

Then when I got braver, I stood right by the Church, for many years.

I have sat in all stands, and I am now planted in the Park End... since it opened.
David Hallwood
16   Posted 03/09/2010 at 19:28:17

Main Stand, round about the Park End penalty area, it feels weird watching the game antwhere else.
Dennis Stevens
17   Posted 03/09/2010 at 20:02:01

I don't really mind too much, I'm just glad to be there when I can, but generally prefer the Top Balcony.
Phil Bellis
18   Posted 03/09/2010 at 20:11:52

Gwladys Street, 2nd barrier right behind the goal...ah, happy days!
Now the gang is spread out all over the stadium.
Dean Adams
19   Posted 03/09/2010 at 21:04:53

The views from lower Bullens are appalling and not worth the money. The best view I have had was in the Park end over looking the away fans. Great banter on occassions.
Chris Butler
20   Posted 03/09/2010 at 21:27:54

"Lower Gwladys isn't for watching football from as you can't see anything". That is 1 thing I've never encountered Mike a stand full of Stevie Wonders and 2ft midgets ah I've been away from Lower Gwaldys for what, 1 game and look what happens. No wonder the atmospheres so shite when our most vocal supporters are blindfolded some would say it's best to be blindfolded when watching Everton.
Tony McNulty
21   Posted 03/09/2010 at 21:32:52

As a 14 year old I won the five guinea weekly prize for having the star letter published on the sports page of ?The People? (Norman Wynne?s Mailbag.) The subject was a request for a roof over Gwladys Street so that chants would reach me (I used to go near to the corner flags in those days.) Armed with my winnings, I then bought a season ticket in the front row of the Main stand upper tier. The Main stand remains my favourite area for that reason.

On another topic (old farts? post.) I heard the Kinks? ?Death of a Clown? again the other day. Do any other old sad bastards in anoraks remember the politically incorrect words we used to sing to that song, and the particular Shite player we used to target? If you know, ask Norman Wynne for the five guinea prize.
Thor Sørensen
22   Posted 03/09/2010 at 21:53:29

I've sat everywhere in the ground, except Park End. (might try there next time I go)

For atmosphere, upper, or pherhaps preferably, lower Gwladys. Top Balcony will give you a fantastic view, but overall I'd agree with Richard Reeves # 3.

Upper Bullens, at the front, although I'd try an get a seat not in line with the halfway line, but somewhere halfway between there and the corner/Gwladys. Still a near perfect view, but gets you closer to the best atmosphere. (and further away from the away support)
Chris Jones
23   Posted 03/09/2010 at 22:35:56

Upper Gwladys behind a Pat Van Den Hauwe's tackle or with Andre Kanchelskis bearing down on you - perfect!
Phil Bellis
24   Posted 03/09/2010 at 23:54:59

Tony, I presume you refer to the ditty extolling the raising of glasses to the premature demise of an unlovely and unloveable kopite No 9 (I think this was another from the fertile brain of Freddie Armstrong)

Bits I can remember...

"Ian St John lies dead on the floor
We won't bring bananas for him anymore
We hate old Bill Shankly, we hate Big Ron too
Liverpool should be locked in a zoo

Let's all drink to the ......

I'll get me anorak
Tony McNulty
25   Posted 04/09/2010 at 08:09:01

Phil,

At least there?s someone else out there who went to games in 1967 and remembers this kind of stuff. Not sure you?d get the full five guineas though. My recollection of this particular ?affectionate parody? is slightly different:

?Ian St John lies dead on the floor,
There?ll be no bananas for him any more.
Shankly and Paisley are both very sad,
They?ve lost the best monkey that they ever ?ad.
There were eleven monkeys and now one has gone,
Let?s all drink etc.?

Sorry for my ignorance ? who was Freddie Armstrong? Can he provide the authorised version? Or is he singing in the choir at that great Finch Farm in the sky?

I guess you would get thrown out now for this kind of stuff. However, it probably belongs in some book of oral history. It certainly reflects something about those days (for instance, that there were no substitutes.)

Phil Bellis
26   Posted 04/09/2010 at 10:17:40

Hi Tony, well remembered - we could have 2 verses on the go, here...

I remember one derby match when our version of that Dave Davies song was belted out in the Winslow and the small band of kopites (yes, drinking prematch in the Winslow ? how times change) took offence, for some reason. So, in response, they were regaled with a chorus of "St John's mother runs a who-ere house in Hell".

Freddie is the big, black lad who was a Gwladys St `character' home and away throughout the 60s; a real gentleman in every sense who looked out for us younger ones at away games. He was fond of creating parodies from old favourites and current chart songs and we'd often try then out in the Winslow, with Gerry on piano (honest, an old Joanna in the lounge!).

I heard last year he'd had a leg amputated but remains a massive Evertonian and still attends the games. If anyone knows where he drinks pre/post-match, please let us know ? for me, he's up there with Eddie Kavanagh as an Evertonian legend.

"Goodbye, Upper Parly, farewell Clayton Square...".

"But the one they forgot was the greatest of all,
A red-headed dynamo named Alan Ball..."

"We're the boys from the banks of the Mersey..."

Tony McNulty
27   Posted 04/09/2010 at 14:49:59

Thanks Phil, interesting stuff. You have reminded me of another one, slightly later. I?m sure you?ll recall:

Oh his name is Joey Royle and he?s the leader of our team,
The finest centre forward that the world has ever seen.
When Alan takes the corners, he nods them in the goal,
And as for Alun Evans (later Bobby Graham), you can stick him up your ?ole
Da da da da
Da da da da da
Oh we?re going to win the football league

(God ? how the last line dates it)

There was also ?Joe, Joe, Joe, Joe Royle?, and subsequently, ?Joe, Joe, Mexico.?

Do you also remember around this time that someone at Everton decided that we needed a team song for the crowd to sing? So they ran a competition ? I think in a Sunday paper, although it could have been in the Echo ? for someone to write the words.

The result was some huge, long ditty, can?t for the life of me remember to what tune. And for a while they tried to get us to sing it before the game, with someone on the pitch trying to conduct. Hardly anyone knew the words. I think the whole idea got quietly dropped one day.

Now I?m off to pull one of the drawstrings on the hood of my anorak. I?ve always wondered what might happen?
Chad Schofield
28   Posted 04/09/2010 at 17:55:32

Personally prefer Gwladys Street (upper or lower) for atmosphere and banter whenever I get the chance to go up. Not had the opportunity for the expensive seats at Goodison, but elsewhere I've never been a big fan of the polite clapping brigade.