Brentford vs Everton

Just wondering what the feeling is towards this fixture. I know if you are a local Evertonian, it's just a date in the diary, but it's 56 years since we played Brentford and it is generating interest in the area that they (BFC) maybe would not get from another Premier League club (Brentford have played Spurs, Liverpool, Newcastle in the past).

It's a great draw, and great for a small town in West London that is not fashionable. BFC on tv live Sunday, try to watch it, its a solid club that deserves the draw with the blues. I have waited 10 years for this fixture, cannot wait to see the Blues in Brentford.
Paul Skelhorn, London     Posted 03/09/2010 at 20:33:58

Comments

Nick Entwistle
1   Posted 04/09/2010 at 01:06:31

The opposition won't be of any concern to Everton fans on this one, and the players will feel the same and want another pressure-free goal rout they had against the Terriers.
And that is where the hope lies for all lower league clubs playing PL opposition, their hightened motivation V big name complacency, levelling the playing field.

Though Coleman and Rodwell et al will be hoping to impress the complacency factor will hopefully not be something to worry about.

But as for Brentford? Could be Rochdale, Torquay or Hereford, its all the same. Sorry!
Will Leaf
2   Posted 04/09/2010 at 06:51:55

Well, I'm looking forward to it. A mate of mine lived next door to a Mr. Davey who was on the board of Brentford in the '70's. I believe he came on board in the wake of QPR sniffing around Griffin Park for a hostile takeover or some such, and all manner of financial difficulties were brewing at the time.

Hmm, none of that sounds familiar...

Anyway, splendid chap, and I always wondered if Everton would ever play The Bees.

They certainly have had an interesting array of managers: Frank McClintock, Steve Perryman, Steve Coppell, Terry Butcher......and our very own Tommy Lawton!

Anyway, best of luck to both teams.
Matthew Lovekin
3   Posted 04/09/2010 at 09:37:47

I know the feeling, being Brighton born and bred, it's been 27 years since Everton played Brighton.

My first ever football memory was 24 years ago so every cup draw I want to see the two sides paired together, but yet still waiting.
Ronan Mathews
4   Posted 04/09/2010 at 11:50:37

This would be my starting 11 - thoughts? As much as I'd like a 4 4 2, there is no point seeing as we already know Moyes' desicion.

Howard
Neville (if fit)
Jagielka
Distin (or maybe give johnny a go?)
Baines
Coleman ((like him on the right wing!)
Rodwell
Fellaini
Pienaar
Cahill
Beckford

Rest Arteta on the bench. I want to see Geuye in there for some match time but I have no idea where he would fit.
John Brennan
5   Posted 04/09/2010 at 12:11:15

Matthew(3): Brighton were the first team I ever saw when they played Barrow and beat them 3-1 (about 1964). Bobby Smith arrived from Spurs and scored that day. I used to live in Maresfield near Uckfield.

As for Brentford, never seen them play even though I lived in Harrow for a while, but nice to see them getting a draw against a Premier League giant!!

Andrew McLean
6   Posted 04/09/2010 at 17:20:30

I'm very eager to watch this game myself, a decent performance and victory would round off my birthday a treat.
Paul Skelhorn
7   Posted 06/09/2010 at 21:31:50

Thanks for the comments, shame it's not Saturday game though. Can't wait otherwise.

Some advice, parking is tight in Brentford although its almost all free in the streets around the ground but gets packed early on as its all residential. Avoid parking northside of A4 as it is residents only around there and you may get stung.

Pubs, it's the only stadium in UK with a pub on each corner but the New Inn on Ealing Rd is best for both home and away mix.

Griffin Park is also 2 mins walk from Brentford BR station, nearest tube is Sth Ealing (10 mins walk). Away end (Brook Road) upper tier has great unobstructed view! Enjoy the game.

Andy Callan
8   Posted 07/09/2010 at 12:14:45

All the way down there to watch that - you must be mad.....

Mind you we trudge to Wembley to watch the inevitable when / if we get there, so Brentford won't be any different.

We won't win anything meaningful ever again - dunno why we bother tbh.