Members:   Log In Sign Up

Optimism!

Here's what I do 3 or 4 days after every loss or draw that should have been a win. So... every time this season. I take a look at the table and then I look at the schedule and I get super optimistic. Here's all we have to do to feel good by the end of the month.

1) Beat Man Utd: We did it last year. The boys have got to feel like they have something to prove. We have played good footy but just not converted. IT IS POSSIBLE.

2) Beat Newcastle: We should... end of. Especially to rub it in Gosling's face.

3) Draw or beat Fulham: Very possible... and probable we can draw. And almost as possible we can win.

There ? 8-10 points from 6 games would be fine by me. More realistically if it ends up 4-7 well... let's just hope it's not 4!!
Joey Brown, Los Angeles, CA, USA     Posted 04/09/2010 at 07:10:27

Comments

Chris Hannon
1   Posted 04/09/2010 at 15:54:27

I agree with your optimistic view on things with regards to Everton but 10 from 18 isn't really what I expected from six games. To be honest, I expected 7 from 9 points to start the season but 10 would represent a decent start considering what's been so far!
Ronan Mathews
2   Posted 04/09/2010 at 15:56:00

Rodwell deserves to start against Man Utd. In either the Newcasle or Fulham game, I'd like to see Coleman on the right wing.
Jay Harris
3   Posted 04/09/2010 at 15:57:55

Joey, the only Problem is that's what we thought against Blackburn and Wolves.

Let's take one game at a time and see where that takes us.

IF we beat Man Utd then I will start to feel more positive.
Tony J Williams
4   Posted 04/09/2010 at 16:16:58

Optimism doesn't sit well with some Evertonians
John McLoughlin
5   Posted 04/09/2010 at 17:11:26

I cant see Rodwell starting v United or especially Coleman. Moyes will revert as he always does to the players loyal to him and whom he is loyal to. I expect a recall for Osman on the right hand side of midfield.
Matthew Lovekin
6   Posted 04/09/2010 at 17:23:21

When things aren't going well, changes need to be made to liven up the situation.

Status quo will just carry on the situation. As John (4) said, I expect Neville, Hibbert, Osman and Cahill all in the starting XI if fit. They are Moyes's tried and tested players after all(!). This will result in an expected loss.

Moyes needs to do something different to galvanise the team. Rodwell needs to start in the middle, Coleman at right-back, if not then right-mid, but he needs to start.

Come on Moyes, be brave for fuck's sake!
David Hallwood
7   Posted 04/09/2010 at 18:45:15

The nightmare scenario is that Man Utd turn us over, and let's face it, it's quite possible, as it is one of our toughest games, and we've got 1 pointt from 12. So where do we go from there?
Gavin Ramejkis
8   Posted 04/09/2010 at 19:20:32

I personally cant see anything but a loss against Man U, we cant score for love nor money and now the balsa man is crocked we have even less chance, I fully expect Moyes to go uber cautious with a 90 min display of parking the bus. There are very little chances of Coleman getting a game or Rodwell for that matter.
John Crook
9   Posted 04/09/2010 at 20:53:14

Ronan and John ? I think Rodwell is injured and out for a few weeks! nothing confirmed on the OS as per usual though.
Ian McDowell
10   Posted 04/09/2010 at 21:55:50

I fully agree with Gavin, I just can't see where a goal is coming from just like the last 3 games.
Dennis Stevens
11   Posted 04/09/2010 at 22:20:38

I'm hoping that Moyes is using the international break to review what's gone wrong & determine what he's going to do to put it right. Then in May when we're celebrating a successful season we'll be able to look back & laugh about how our season didn't really start until we beat ManUre! I hope ...
Dick Fearon
12   Posted 04/09/2010 at 22:33:28

On the first day after a defeat my first response is to log in to TW and criticise someone. It dosen't matter who that someone is, someone will pay for it.
On the second day I read Ken and Pauls reports and marvel at their ability to always see the tiniest glimmer of light at the end of the darkest tunnel.
On the third day I join with the rest of TW worrying about our next game and who sho be in the team.
By the fourth day I usually relapse into an evertonians natural state of super optimism and regardless who the enemy is my motto is BRING EM' ON.

Dennis Stevens
13   Posted 05/09/2010 at 02:15:59

Now I know where I'm going wrong, Dick - I should operating on a 4 day week, like you!
Matthew Salem
14   Posted 05/09/2010 at 07:07:51

We have been playing well in all fairness. It's just we have no fire-power up front. Now that Saha is injured, who do we have up front aside from Beckford? Vaughan? Is the Yak fit again? I hope Moyes realizes that putting Beckford up front against Man Utd is a big ask, even if he proved that he can score against them before.

Unless the Yak is fit, I see no obvious solution, but Moyes must do something different. I like to think of myself as an optimist and I am by no means discouraged by our start, merely by our lack of goals. Coleman should be our right winger. I agree with that. COYB! FTRS!

Gavin Ramejkis
15   Posted 05/09/2010 at 08:08:05

Matthew, I work with Leeds fan and he asked me why Beckford is being asked to play up front on his own as he scored most of his goals for Leeds playing off a target or hold up striker ? where have we heard that one before? All this week I've been hearing rumours of Vaughan going back out on loan which leaves us with Yak if he is fit. I stand by my earlier post of not knowing where a goal will come from now.
Anthony Hughes
16   Posted 05/09/2010 at 08:41:10

If Beckford's best position is off a hold-up or target man then is this another example of Moyes bringing in a player and not knowing where to play him or what his best position is? Sometimes some of our transfer dealings can be a little strange: no left back cover for Baines; years without a right sided player; a plethora of central players at centre-half and centre-mid.
Matthew Salem
17   Posted 05/09/2010 at 09:11:37

Gaviin,

I understand your concern, but do you remember 1½ years ago that we were without a single recognized striker for 2-3 months and went on an amazing run of wins (mostly 1:0s though? The situation now is not nearly as dire. I blame our tactics more than anything. If we resort to 4-5-1 vs the Mancs, let's have Hibbo up front, 3:1 Blues, Hibbo with a hattrick!
Norman Merrill
18   Posted 05/09/2010 at 11:29:16

I would like to think that we can produce the same performance, as last season, when United came to town. Last season, we had more balance with Donovan playing wide. I just hope that Moyes gets the right side sorted.

The next two games are equally challenging, the Geordies will be up for it, and Craven Cottage is not one of our better venues, results wise. We need points, not desperation stakes? But we need to push on.

Gavin Ramejkis
19   Posted 05/09/2010 at 12:31:18

Man U's defence isn't the greatest but they are very good at counter attacking quickly. Without anything on the right, we are going to be lop-sided yet again, how about Arteta on the right and Rodwell and Fellaini in the middle?

Matthew, the run we went on required Cahill to be playing his top game with a barrage of set pieces; unless we are attacking we wont get those set pieces. I fear DM will revert to defence at all costs and look to attack in later games.

Ronan Mathews
20   Posted 05/09/2010 at 15:31:48

Time to give Bilyaletdinov a go?
Graham Rathbone
21   Posted 05/09/2010 at 23:58:38

Matthew #6 "We need fresh blood and hunger, not the same crap. What beat Utd last year? Rodwell and Gosling funnily enough. Not Hibbert and Osman."

Yes, Rodwell and the traitorous son of the goose did score but if I remember rightly Osman was MotM.

Chris Keightley
22   Posted 06/09/2010 at 09:40:24

I love optimism ? it's a great word that means nothing!! The sorry thing is, as has been mentioned, fire power ? we have none! Expect us to gain just a point from the three games... anything more and i will be chuffed.
Liam Reilly
23   Posted 06/09/2010 at 14:00:05

In the absense of Saha, I fear Beckford will start upfront on his own, with Cahill tucked in behind. I hope not as Beckford is just not ready for this level yet.

As we are short of options and with the Yak still out, I'd like to see James Vaughan givien a start. It can't hurt and he must know he's in the last chance saloon...