Ticket Own Goal

Another well done to Everton for stopping my young lad from attending his first ever game at Goodison against the Mancs.

I am registered on the e-ticket system but you can only buy 1 ticket per person for the game so I registered my lad too in his own name. Guess what? He can't buy a ticket as he has to have bought a ticket for another game in the past in order to buy one now. Not just a game this season but any game ever.

Question is, how then does he get to go to his first game if he has to have bought a ticket to a previous game in order to get a ticket for his first game?
Chris Leyland, Formby     Posted 05/09/2010 at 18:32:04

Comments

Stewart Oakes
1   Posted 05/09/2010 at 19:27:42

Hi Chris, due to the high demand for tickets for the United game there are some restrictions as to who can buy tickets for this game, but keep your eye on it as it may change; however, there are none for the next home game against Newcastle and son can buy a ticket for this game.
Blake Dutton
2   Posted 05/09/2010 at 19:35:14

You've picked one of the most popular games of the season, and are surprised getting tickets is not straight forward?

I suggest buying tickets for the Newcastle game.
Declan Brown
3   Posted 05/09/2010 at 19:56:40

Lads, the Utd game last season wasn't sold out?
Wendy Gaffney
4   Posted 05/09/2010 at 20:15:37

I had the same problem on eticketing. I rang the club and they told me to go to the ground. I was able to get my son a ticket on my customer services no.
Duncan McDine
5   Posted 05/09/2010 at 20:17:19

Declan... almost all home games are sold out if you don't count the restricted view seats. The good seats against Utd go very quickly.

Having said this, Chris - what's wrong with picking up the phone to dial-a-seat?
Declan Brown
6   Posted 05/09/2010 at 20:48:12

Spot on Duncan

But last year we never officially sold out (40,000+) in any of the big games, even the Derby had empty seats.
Tony J Williams
7   Posted 05/09/2010 at 20:56:41

Imagine that eh? A Premier League game with restrictions. Some people will just pretty much pick up on any little thing to complain about won't they?

Look at the conditions of certain games before slagging off the club Chris. It's not rocket science, the more prestigious games will be harder to get tickets for than the lesser ones. It's a simple concept.
Chris Leyland
8   Posted 05/09/2010 at 21:02:29

Tony thanks your useful and constructive comments! Very helpful.

Others ? yes I could take him to Newcastle but I'd rather Man U for his first game. Nothing like a baptism of fire.

Yes it is a popular game and yes I fully accept certain restrictions for big games. But why have a restriction which discriminates against young, first time fans? Tickets are now on general sale and there are plently left. Why, then say that you must have bought a ticket in the past, even if it was only once 5 years ago (which was actually before my son was born)? No wonder we only sell out once a year if they make it so hard.

Wendy, were you able to buy more than one ticket at the ground, as I'm going past on Monday?
Tony J Williams
9   Posted 05/09/2010 at 21:45:39

Sarcasm noted Chris, but my point is still valid.

It's not just "young" first time fans though Chris, It's every fan who decides their first game should be a "glamour" game. There simply isn't enough tickets (non restricted views) to go around.

Why should "first time buyers" have priority over those who have being going previously?
Chris Butler
10   Posted 05/09/2010 at 21:48:40

Chris, it's a con, mate, that these clubs have adopted since terraces were knocked down that fans have to purchase tickets for games they don't want to go to just so they can purchase tickets for other. But you can understand Everton's reluctance as it's a high profile game where there has been trouble in the past. For all they know, you could sell them to a Manc ? I've known supporters who have sold tickets to away supporters in the home end.
David Thomas
11   Posted 05/09/2010 at 22:41:00

Chris, how is it a con? It is a fair system that the club use in order to guarantee the most loyal fans get a ticket ahead of the people who decide to pick and choose their games.
Garry Martin
12   Posted 06/09/2010 at 06:27:12

Simple answer..........buy a season ticket, no problems then !
Tom Hughes
13   Posted 06/09/2010 at 07:28:09

I think you will find that several games have been "sell-outs" for home fans in recent seasons and have not been a 40,000+ attendance. Very often the away section has been very sparsely populated, and many teams do not even attempt to take the upper tier too. Segregation can also account for several hundred seats.

On top of that, the extension of the disabled facilities at the Gwladys Street end and the seating in front of Executive Boxes reduced our overall capacity to probably only a little over 40,000, so we are unlikely to see 40k attendances again (unless we expand). I'm quite certain Man Utd will be a sell out come the day.

David Alexander
14   Posted 06/09/2010 at 11:19:52

I think the point for the Manure game is to stop their fans from signing up as Evertonians just to get a seat for the game, because they sell their away alocation out so easily and it's close to home for them. It is a 'high risk' game for crowd trouble afterall.
Ernie Baywood
15   Posted 06/09/2010 at 13:21:55

Sorry Chris, but I don't see this as an own-goal. I'd be pissed if I went to every game yet couldn't go to the 'big' ones because the club didn't restrict it in some way.

That said, I'm something of a hypocrite as Man Utd in 85 was my first ever game and its' a shame your son won't be there. Hopefully we can still get something close to the same result.
David Price
16   Posted 06/09/2010 at 13:28:30

Good point on post 14, it's easy done. I did it for the City game at their place last season. Previously a City mate of mine used to get us tickets on his City membership, I did it no problem.

Hardest thing was keeping my lad from going crazy when we scored, we both failed miserably, however, when Cahill put one in the year before in the 90th minute. Happy days.

Colin Huntington
17   Posted 06/09/2010 at 14:02:55

David (no.14) is spot on as far as the reason is concerned. But with less than a week to go all the restricted view seats are still available (at least around my spot in the Main Stand). So the point about allowing the 'more dedictated' fans to get tickets first is irrelevant.

It seems either the club will have to change the policy (and potentially allow Mancs in) or put up with empty seats ? and less cash.
Ray Robinson
18   Posted 06/09/2010 at 14:38:32

Just to nail a myth and in support of Tom (#3) we sold out 7 times last year. Empty seats don't mean that the tickets haven't been sold.
Anthony Hughes
19   Posted 06/09/2010 at 14:49:02

I used to enjoy it back before we were all seated. Pay on the gate, get packed in shoulder to shoulder like sardines so you could barely move and half way through the second half, we would flash up the attendance on the scoreboard and it said for example 28,000 and you thought, "Fuck me, where would you put another 15,000 or so people in here?"
Brian Denton
20   Posted 06/09/2010 at 18:05:04

Ah (Anthony Hughes) ye olde gateman's fiddle. Terraces were better, because you had no obstructed views in Gwladys Street - you just swayed to get a view round the pillar.

As a lad of 8 I was in the ground for 60,000+ attendances (every derby, every Man U game, even 64k v Wolves in a midweek cup replay ffs!). To the OP, I would just tell your lad to be thankful he never had to go in the Boys Pen. I did (once) and thereafter begged my parents to sub me the extra half-crown to go in Gwladys St (4 bob) rather than join the monsters in the Boys Pen (1 and 6).

And no apologies for not converting the old money. Allow an old git his nostalgia-fest........
Colin Ryan
21   Posted 07/09/2010 at 10:21:13

Is there any chance at all of getting tickets for this game? My mate has booked flights but without match tickets(stupid i know). He desperately needs 2 tickets. Can anyone help?
Andy Callan
22   Posted 07/09/2010 at 12:16:12

The club has never been any different has it, so I don't know why so many of you seem surprised.

Everything we do, is a complete and utter shambles - EVERY single time. They never learn.

Just don't go - either of you. They wouldn't be gettin' my fuckin' cash if they'd fucked up like that with me.

You could complain, but that will just annoy you further.

Just watch in on the tele mate; we'll get beat anyway.
Tony J Williams
23   Posted 07/09/2010 at 13:19:57

"Fucked" what up, Andy? Have a read of the posts beforehand and you will see that it is a fair system in rewarding people who have been to previous games and one to stop the Mancs getting a ticket in the home end.
Jamie Rowland
24   Posted 07/09/2010 at 14:07:35

Ray (#18) ? spot on... some people can't make the match (season ticket holders) so seats are empty. Plus they never completely fill for safety reasons.

On this post ? Chris, you have to accept that there are people in the queue before you. Some fans go home and away and in doing so give up a lot of time and money. Part of the remuneration for such efforts is that they get first refusal. It's only fair and it's a system that ALL Premier League clubs and the FA approve and use.

Take the FA Cup Final at Wembley, there was a clear criteria based on your support loyalty ? if you had been to every FA Cup game home and away watching the blues, you had first refusal, then after those diehards, there were those that had been to (for example) 4 games... 3 games... 2 games... etc. until the tickets had gone.

It's hardly something that you can be critical about ? how would you feel if you attended all of the home and away games last season and this to then be told that you couldn't get a Utd ticket because some 'first timers' wanted to come instead?

Aside from this logic, it also stops ticket touts from buying a load of tickets (although they often still manage to get some) and taking the piss out of genuine fans...
Brendan O'Doherty
25   Posted 07/09/2010 at 14:41:47

The e-ticketing system works well and rewards loyalty on merit as others have said. It also means that you can benefit from your loyalty without having to pitch up at the ticketing office with your old ticket stubs in hand, which used to be the case.

It certainly made it easier for me to get my Cup semi-final ticket, as I knew exactly when I would qualify and could ring up and request to buy it.
David Thomas
26   Posted 07/09/2010 at 14:49:26

Jamie,

Great post. Agree 100%
Brendan McLaughlin
27   Posted 07/09/2010 at 21:22:17

Andy #22
"Just watch in on the tele mate; we'll get beat anyway."

Would you mind if I nominated you for the "Fan of the Year Award"?
Chris Leyland
28   Posted 09/09/2010 at 01:52:52

Just to be clear, I have no objection to people who have been to lots of games getting a ticket before my lad. Just remember the criteria here is you only have to have been once in your life and bought the ticket in your own name. That's any game ever in order to get a ticket for this one. So "Fred the Manc" who managed to buy a ticket 7 years ago at Goodison can have one no problem. Not what you can honestly call rewarding loyalty is it?

And guess who called me on Wednesday? Everton Football Club asking if I wanted a ticket for the game as quote "there are plently left"... Now I have managed to get 2 from somewere else but just to see the lie of the land I asked if I could have 2. I explained the situation about it being a 5-year-old's first game. The answer: No. I asked why? "club policy" came the reply. I pointed out she had said there were plently of tickets left... but still, No.

So, just to be clear, this is not about ensuring that more loyal fans who go to lots of games don't miss out at the expense of a 5-year-old ? is it? It is no wonder the club is scrambling round in desperation ringing people to offer tickets some 42 hrs prior to kick-off, for what is one of our "big" games.

And finally Ray Robinson how do you know we sold out 7 times last year yet there were not 7 crowds of 40,000? Are we somehow different to the likes of the Mancs, the shite and Spurs who somehow fill their grounds every week? Do 5 or 6 thousand of our fans buy tickets but don't go as they have to go into town shopping with the Mrs?
David Thomas
29   Posted 09/09/2010 at 13:22:55

Chris,

I imagine Ray means the Everton sections of the ground were sold out. Except for a handful of clubs, the away section at Everton is never full, in fact on many matches it is not even a quarter full, hence the lack of 40,000 crowds.