Members:   Log In Sign Up

Rooney returns this weekend

I wondered what kind of reception TW match goers were reserving for Wayne Rooney on Saturday? Not what they think the overall atmosphere will be, just their personal intent. You know, outright abusive slagging off; occasional mild unpleasantries; or a Corinthian ambivalence.

I also wondered what we thought were the chances of his returning to Everton... or even if we'd want him.

For the record, I still love seeing Rooney score. Something inside me still says he is an Evertonian, just as something still tells me he will return one day to prove it.

I even harboured a notion that our performance this season in the league would lend further credence to that fanciful notion.

I don't give a toss what a recalcitrant & ill advised 18-year-old did. I care more what a world class 26-year-old could do. And given what we've just done for Mikel Arteta, the financial gap is much less than it was.

Rooney is England's talisman. He's a Scouser and he's an Evertonian. The best thing Evertonians can do this weekend is to welcome Wayne back with warm applause. Rooney opeates better on the edge, so much better that we soften him up at the start.

That's partly born of genuine affection and partly born of enlightened self interest.

As for the game, please fuck that we win. Time for some of the boys to show they're worth the shirt and the money.
Alan Kirwin, St Paul de Vence     Posted 06/09/2010 at 22:44:35

Comments

Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
1   Posted 07/09/2010 at 00:18:29

Oh dear... another Rooney thread. Bit of overlap as this is where the current fans article was heading, but I think it's a fair question.

Let's focus here please on the welcome that you as a fan plan to provide yourself or expect to see given to the returning Wayne Rooney this Saturday.

Thanks
Brendan O'Doherty
2   Posted 07/09/2010 at 00:42:05

"Rooney opeates better on the edge, so much better that we soften him up at the start."

Agreed Alan. There's no point in winding him up; he just plays better. Which will hopefully result in another subdued performance from him and another win for us!

Alex Kociuba
3   Posted 07/09/2010 at 01:10:05

'another' win? :/
Kevin Hudson
4   Posted 07/09/2010 at 01:10:52

Ignore him. Move on. Enlightened self interest sums it up, Alan.
Brendan O'Doherty
5   Posted 07/09/2010 at 01:14:50

Against Utd, same as last season?? Wakey, wakey, Alex.
Chris Cook
6   Posted 07/09/2010 at 02:45:12

The baby's not yours, the baby's not yours
Poor Collen Rooney, the baby's not yours.

Get the practice in while you can, lads.
Adam Fenlon
7   Posted 07/09/2010 at 01:41:06

Another win'd do nicely, regardless of how welcome or otherwise we make certain opposition players feel!
Matthew Salem
8   Posted 07/09/2010 at 07:10:23

If I recall correctly his little brother was booed (somewhat harshly in my view) when we played Macclesfield last year. If that is anything to go by, it won't be a warm reception.
Christopher McCullough
9   Posted 07/09/2010 at 07:39:41

#6 wise up.

I wouldn't boo him.
Craig Taylor
10   Posted 07/09/2010 at 09:07:17

Do we have to do this before every Man Utd game?

No point in booing, even Moyes has made up with him.

Without a massive purse there is no chance he will return until he is perhaps over the hill or has fucked around so much (no pun intended with current headlines) he loses his game.
Gavin Ramejkis
11   Posted 07/09/2010 at 10:16:25

He is bound to get bell end but how many times has that come back to haunt us, making the player in question just try harder? He is an absolute knob off the pitch but undoubtedly a valuable one on it. The only way he'll ever be back at Goodison is playing against us or watching the match.
Chris Lawlor
12   Posted 07/09/2010 at 10:20:40

Comment *6 ...thats poor form fella...as well as making zero sense since she gave birth to the kid...you tit!
Chris Keightley
13   Posted 07/09/2010 at 10:32:47

Comment six ? pretty uncalled for i'm afraid, cracking player enough said!!
Terry Hayes
14   Posted 07/09/2010 at 10:17:13

A couple of seasons ago Rooney was taken off because it was obvious that the amount of stick he was getting was affecting him. On the other hand, I was there to witness him scoring twice after being two-nil down and his sickening celebrations in front of the Park End.

He will get plenty of stick anyway, that's for sure,how he reacts this time no,one knows... I'm more interested in your last line Alan, this is the time for our boys to step up and prove they are worthy, I really couldn't handle a battering off those bastards now... it's dogs of war time again.

Andy Boyer
15   Posted 07/09/2010 at 10:36:26

Look, at the end of the day, he's done things like this before, she knew it and "forgave" him. Sorry, no, she settled for the cash knowing that if it came to the worst she'd be sorted cos of the kid. I have no sympathy for her whatsoever as that makes her no better than the tarts he's been hiring in my eyes.

To be honest, I don't care what he's done, it doesn't affect Everton or me, so I say let's just leave it alone and get on with the match at hand, lads, eh?
Matthew Mackey
16   Posted 07/09/2010 at 10:36:43

Rooney bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla brar bra ba bollocks....................

..........don't care about him. He's gone, it's history.

All I want is three points from the game and maybe another Rodwell stunner to finish them off. Then I'm happy. End of.
Oiver Molloy
17   Posted 07/09/2010 at 10:43:43

Post 12.."Chris..Comment *6

...thats poor form fella...as well as making zero sense since she gave birth to the kid...you tit!"

Very, very funny ? read the post 6 again and work it out!
Terry Hayes
18   Posted 07/09/2010 at 11:00:23

Oliver, post 15
What's so funny about post 6?... I laughed more when my granny's twat set on fire.
Chris Cook
19   Posted 07/09/2010 at 11:08:08

@12: of course it makes sence, your gonna say that your 100% positive he doesn't have a secret love child that cost him £1k a night?

Honestly, you lot are happy to sing false crap about Gerrard but not Rooney?
Michael McIvor
20   Posted 07/09/2010 at 11:10:49

I would treat Rooney as I would any other Man U player........in other words, I would forget about him completely and focus all my attention on supporting all the Everton boys to do a real number on the Manure.

There's only one thing worse than being talked about and that's not being talked about.
Eugene Ruane
21   Posted 07/09/2010 at 11:02:12

The chances are young Wayne will start to slow down soon.

This is not just wishful thinking.

One of the details from young Wayne's 'romp' (I'd love to have a romp... whatever they are!) was that he apparently enjoyed a post-jump ciggy.

Don't we (smokers) all

A year ago, he was photographed in a swimming pool trying to hide a fag and was again, after the World Cup, snapped holding a Benson.

The evidence that he's 'a smoker' then, fairly strong.

And I can tell you from first hand experience that you only get away with it for so long before your lungs tell you "fucking behave, I'm going as fast as I can".

Of course he's a zillion times fitter (and better) than I ever was, but the parts are basically the same.

What he can do with a ball won't be affected, but who gets to the ball FIRST could be.

Personally, I think his best is behind him.

John Daley
22   Posted 07/09/2010 at 11:25:56

I personally can't be bothered booing or abusing him but he's bound to get some stick if he plays. What's the likelihood of Ferguson taking him out of the firing line for this one though?
David Price
23   Posted 07/09/2010 at 11:35:25

Mike on #17, spot on there, he's an opposing player now nothing more, so we focus on getting behind our own lads.

Sure, we always look for a weakness, a sign of dissent, a poor pass or shot and give the customary wind up jeer etc.

Constant booing or chants against him is now a waste of energy and all our focus needs to remain on the Blue shirts that helps carries them to victory.

Chris Fisher
24   Posted 07/09/2010 at 11:40:47

I doubt he'll play, to be honest; Ferguson is experienced enough to know it's probably not worth risking him losing the plot and getting sent off!
Robert Daniels
25   Posted 07/09/2010 at 11:50:19

Rooney's got 18 months left on his contract, he's turned down United's first offer on a new one. He's available, over to you, Bill.

He would put ten thousand on the gate every week. Shirt sales threw the roof...

Rooney, Rodwell, Felli, Johnny, Mikel, Pienaar, Jags, Baines, Coleman, etc.... We would win something, money, ground improvements, second tier on the Park end to accommodate new season ticket sales.

He could save Everton; the media would consider an Everton led by Rooney to be capable of titles, Champions League.

Bill, I've found your 24/7 saviour.
Andy Callan
26   Posted 07/09/2010 at 12:04:31

I think the recent debacle about this thick twat is MAGIC.

He's 'orrible and deserves nowt but shit on Saturday in my opinion.

These twats (Cole, Terry, Crouch etc etc etc) think that they're beyond reproach, but in fact it's exactly the opposite.

I agree that we have to move on, but I just can't help laughing at what these idiots keep doing - why have a bird / wife / kids when all you wanna do is shag about FFS....?!?!?!?!?!?

Role models my fukin arse.

Fuck Rooney and everyone else that isn't an Everton player. I hope he gets crabs.
Anthony Hughes
27   Posted 07/09/2010 at 12:38:02

The main thing that bothers me about the Rooney situation is that we should have got more money for him when we sold him. I don't really care about him one way or another as a man, but as a footballer i respect his ability and we'll have to keep a tight rein on him this weekend.
Kunal Desai
28   Posted 07/09/2010 at 12:45:21

Who cares???? we have this same thread season after season!! Who fucking cares? It's an Everton forum not a Manc one.
John Nelson
29   Posted 07/09/2010 at 13:07:53

Well said Andy Callan!

Fuck the fat ugly bastard, still haven't forgiven him and will continue not to.

COYB
Mike Dillon
30   Posted 07/09/2010 at 13:19:41

It's only until these threads that I remember he actually played for us at one point.

We've moved on so much since then as a team, we're almost unrecognisable. Everton moved on, Wayne did, why can't the rest of us?
Chris Butler
31   Posted 07/09/2010 at 13:15:54

He won't be booed, well certainly not by me. Who's arsed about booing him and who thinks it makes any difference? He's not gonna come back any sooner. People moan about him and his comments about Moyes but, let's be honest, there's many Evertonians that dislike Moyes ? not just Rooney and kopites.

Everton fans treated him awfully despite the fact his transfer saved Everton. Just look at where we finished with Rooney and without him. Nevertheless, I think Everton fans will be too depressed with our summer and the start of the season to want to sing anything. He's no longer an employee of Everton, get over it.

I dislike Moyes and Kenwright more than Rooney. To be fair to him, he has shown more respect to Everton recently, which I respect. Everton fans could barely break into a chorus about Rooney last season which shows that really fans aren't that bothered about abusing him.

I personally like Everton fans to take the moral high ground and clap him as that would seriously wreck his head, as obviously he going to want to score more when we abuse him, isn't he?

Terry Hayes
32   Posted 07/09/2010 at 13:25:52

Why not just cheer his every touch?
that would really do his head in!
Tony J Williams
33   Posted 07/09/2010 at 13:23:25

Not arsed about him. Still a great player, but another team's player non the less so he means nothing to me.

I do chuckle at the stick he gets some times but I would not join in. I particularly enjoyed the first rendition of "You're just a fat little knobhead" but it's old hat now.
Andrew Ellams
34   Posted 07/09/2010 at 13:41:44

Just have to refrain from 'Couldn't score in brothel' if he misses a sitter.
Phil Bellis
35   Posted 07/09/2010 at 13:49:24

Mr Butler,
I have one word to say to you; no - two, make that two words..the second of which is "off!"
Kevin Hudson
36   Posted 07/09/2010 at 14:46:07

Chris Butler:

Another bollock dropped!!

"I think Everton fans will be too depressed with our summer and the start of the season to want to sing anything."

Yeah, we're gonna just sit there in silence, Chris. Do you get football? Or Everton?

Evidently not:

"I dislike Moyes and Kenwright more than Rooney." WOW!!

Please elaborate on why, I'm begging you...

Also noted is your continued referencing of EFC in the 3rd person.
Mike Green
37   Posted 07/09/2010 at 15:46:05

Lets be right - Rooney is going to get dogs abuse on Saturday, especially from the Gwladys.

He might have gone into the game thinking... "Maybe... just maybe... this time I'll get a neutral reception" ? and then, BANG! All over the papers.

"Bollocks" says Rooney pulling on his boots.

Fergie'll play him on Saturday ? if he doesn't, he's basically saying his players are running scared which isn't going to happen is it.

I was in the Gwladys the day he kissed his badge before getting taken off and let's just say you had to be pretty broad minded to appreciate some of the abuse he recieved for an hour before that ? however, whilst most of it was completely vile, it was ashamedly fantastic entertainment.

Which is why it'll all happen again on Saturday ? we've got our pariah and the drums are going to be banging for a few seasons yet.
Matthew Roache
38   Posted 07/09/2010 at 16:27:50

I'm sure many of you will remember a game at Old Trafford a few seasons back when Rooney kissed the United badge directly in front of our end... For me, that along with a host of other reasons is enough to provide him with a hostile reception on Saturday whilst roaring on the boys in blue to 3 points at the same time.
Fran Mitchell
39   Posted 07/09/2010 at 16:29:18

Eugene #21

Smoking really does do our lungs in, and you really feel the effect of it...if your not training 7 hours+ per day, if you are the effects are reduced greatly.

It will not help his health in later years but it wouldn't hamper his ability as a footballer whilst still only 25.

Zinedine Zidane, the best player to grace the game since Maradona, was a smoker, yet he was still an immense player right up until that fateful final game of his.

I'm sure there are many top professional footballers that smoke and it has no affect on their game.

Rooney is still improving, and I will believe be at his best when 29/30/31, similar to how Drogba and Bergkamp were at their best in their late 20s and early 30s, and I actually see him being a breed of the two.

Now, he is still a little wasteful with the ball, and sometimes relies on his pace rather than technique.

Best player in the world, he can still become.

Boo him? That just makes us sound pathetic, it was fucking 6/7 years ago. get over it. Everyone has got that mate who just won't get over being dumped, gets angry at the sight of their ex with someone else... and he looks more and more pathetic each time til it becomes a point of ridicule. That is how Everton fans are beginning to appear... We* are becoming like, dare I say it, Newcastle fans.

* By using 'we' I am generalising Everton fans as a whole, I do acknowledge that fans are individuals, but they are always generalised.
David Thomas
40   Posted 07/09/2010 at 17:29:36

Robert Daniels,

Who is going to pay Rooney's astronomical wages when we bring him back? Or do you honestly believe the amount of shirts we will sell will be enough to pay him £120k + a week? On that basis, we would all be buying a shirt each game.

I presume the extra 10,000 fans each home game are going to be sat in the upper tier of the Park End, or are some of us going to have to start sharing seats? Who is going to pay for this? Or is that going to be paid for by the shirt sales?
Robert Daniels
41   Posted 07/09/2010 at 18:01:59

Dave,

I never seriously costed it, I was trying to make the point: where there's a will, there's a way, or maybe a way.

I dont know, if Rooney really did want to come back, he might work for less.

I don't know the position re capacity for a second tier? But I'm quite sure gates would be up and shirt sales too, so there is definitely increased revunue if he returned, before it's too late...
Eugene Ruane
42   Posted 07/09/2010 at 18:07:34

Fair point/s Fran - I admit I was just guessing (and it was probable wishful thinking).

Terry Hayes, your idea is genius.

The booing won't get to him, but that actually could baffle him to such a point that, instead of thinking about the game, he's thinking "what the FUCK is going on here!?"
Brendan O'Doherty
43   Posted 07/09/2010 at 18:27:15

David (#40) - "Or do you honestly believe the amount of shirts we will sell will be enough to pay him £120 + a week."

Now I know the merchandising department can leave a lot to be desired, but.......come on!
Chris Butler
44   Posted 07/09/2010 at 19:35:54

Phil, were you there last season? Rooney was lookign for abuse yet he didn't get it ? he played shit and we won 3-1.

Go on, Phil, waste your breath abusing him, see how far it gets Everton when he's on his way to the United fans, badge-kissing again. Top players thrive on hostile atmospheres, it seems to me; if Everton fans actually bloody sang songs for Everton rather than only coming alive to boo Rooney, we might get somewhere.

I don't care about Rooney but I do care about the result ? what does booing him achieve? He only plays better. There were many guilty parties in his transfer ie Alan Stubbs and Bill Kenwright both telling him he should leave. The fact that he thought he was bigger than the club did us no good, hence why we finished 17th with him and 4th without him.

David Hallwood
45   Posted 07/09/2010 at 20:10:02

Wayne who??? Get over it, boys. Some of you sound like whimps who have been dumped by 'My World' and is still boring your mates about it 7 years later, I'll be in the Main Stand as usual cheering the boys in blue, he's not one of them, so who gives a fuck?
Dermot Ryan
46   Posted 07/09/2010 at 20:22:43

Chris Butler:

How the fuck can anyone who claims to support Everton say that they prefer that twat to the current manager?
Dermot Ryan
47   Posted 07/09/2010 at 20:50:49

Chris. You appear to have 3 obsessions:

1. Standing up and singing at matches. And thrashing Everton fans for not doing it like they do it at them other great clubs like Liverpool, Man City, and United (the theater of dreams)

2. Drooling over brilliant "winners" like Rooney and the types of teams that those "winners" play for.

3. Thrashing all things Everton (fans, players, managers, etc)

You know, you do have other options...
Phil Bellis
48   Posted 07/09/2010 at 21:22:53

Chris, Grow up, son. You have conveniently forgotten the game at Goodison when he reacted badly to the "fat, greedy knobhead" chants, ran around like a genetically-modified chicken on Special Brew with his face gradually festering into a fetching vermilion, he clattered Arteta, got booked and got hauled off.

Even the Blessed SAF commented how unfair it was that the crowd forced his decision to protect `his' boy...

Kevin Hudson
49   Posted 07/09/2010 at 21:37:55

Chris Butler:

Still waiting for you to qualify exactly why you dislike Moyes more than Rooney..

And talking about Everton in the 3rd person isn't convincing anyone, even if you have Kenrick fooled...
David Thomas
50   Posted 07/09/2010 at 22:14:51

Brendan 43,

Ha ha. Well spotted. Would be good if he was willing to play for that sort of money.
Eugene Ruane
51   Posted 07/09/2010 at 22:36:13

THERE'S 'HENCE WHY' AGAIN!

(44)

Second time in two days!

What...IS it!?

Why is 'hence why' being..erm...said?

I'll be honest, 'hence why' is making me..'nervy'.

(I'm the same about saying the french word for trout, I just don't like saying it)
Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
52   Posted 08/09/2010 at 05:16:25

Listen, Kevin Hudson, I tolerate a lot of shit on this site in the interests of 'balance' but I do not tolerate people like you questioning the Evertonian credentials of other contributors.

Chris has a lot of whackey ideas... but he is an Evertonian.

Chris conveys his ideas really, really poorly (despite my extensive editing ? I draw the line at re-writing his crap) ... but he is an Evertonian.

Chris may well be seriously fucked up... but he is an Evertonian.

We monitor the posts to make sure that non-Evertonians do not post here. You at least should respect that. So take this childish jibe and stuff it where the sun don't shine, or you will not be posting on here any more.

Guy Wilkinson
53   Posted 08/09/2010 at 11:34:51

Henry Winter in the Telegraph calls us the Gwladys St Glee Club. When the rafters are raised there are few grounds that can match our intensity and intimidation. Maybe it's what the hostile atmosphere will do to other MU players, rather than WR, that's important.

I'm looking forward to emptying a gallon of verbal bile on the badge kissing scrote. All the dicks who fantasise about him coming back to play for us, need to get a new image for the wank-bank. It aint gonna happen fellas.

Chris Butler
54   Posted 08/09/2010 at 12:26:13

Because we make out that Rooney and Moyes are that different. I think Moyes has made some silly decisions that have made us go from top top 4 challengers to an average side. But the main reason is because he's been waiting for ages for the United job to come up. It's obvious that Ferguson wants him as the next United Manager and undoubtedly Moyes will take it. What then? ? You'll all come to TW calling Moyes judas and a traitor.

I don't love or hate Rooney, I think he's showed his true colours but we all loved him when he played for us and I think that, if Everton fans hadn't booed him and abused him, it's unlikely he would behave in the manner he did when scoring against us.

Just say you took a better paid job that had better opportunities and you went back to your old place of work and were abused and had stuff thrown at you ? would you have much respect for those abusing you?

Fans think they have the right to abuse players yet when they give it back, people complain. I hate Lescott, Kuyt and Ashley Cole more than Rooney and anyone who makes stupid decisions for Everton ie club employees.

I've travelled long distances to support Everton each week, costing me hundreds of pounds, and I think I'm entitled to an opinion just as any of you are about our current position. We spend huge amounts on Everton so therfore were do have the right to ask where our money goes to... don't we?

I'd like Everton fans to try and concentrate on our players rather than singign about Rooney ? how about a new song for Baines, our best player in my opinion, rather than wasting you breath on some cheating scally?

James Cadwaladr
55   Posted 08/09/2010 at 14:20:05

I've already stated on here that I wont boo Rooney at the weekend as it's all in the past as far as I'm concerned. That said I just wanted to share this link with you for a bit of fun.

A friend of mine is an aspiring Musician in London and has written fun cover of I want to be a billionaire called I want to be a billionaire, which is in keeping with current affairs involved our estranged son, Wazza.

I hope you enjoy it... and who knows perhaps we'll hear it in the Gwladys St at the weekend:

Guy Wilkinson
56   Posted 08/09/2010 at 15:09:02

James @ 55 thanks for the link. That's topped up my wank-bank as per me @53!!!
Brian Lawlor
57   Posted 08/09/2010 at 17:01:45

Whos that shaggin in the lowry, who that with a dirty brass, its rooney an his hoe givin every hole a go, coz colleen wudnt take it up the ass !
Oiver Molloy
58   Posted 08/09/2010 at 18:20:56

Terry....@ 18
Read post 6.....below and then 12 and you should get what I found very funny, if you don't I'm not going there!

Chris Cook #6 The baby's not yours, the baby's not yours Poor Collen Rooney, the baby's not yours. Get the practice in while you can, lads.

Chris Lawlor #12

Comment *6 ...thats poor form fella... as well as making zero sence since she gave birth to the kid... you tit!
Michael Evans
59   Posted 08/09/2010 at 18:32:11

Brian Lawlor @57 ? ToffeeWeb's new Poet Laureate?
Bradley Nolan
60   Posted 08/09/2010 at 19:25:24

I'm not too bothered about Rooney as such, but it is a funny story and he is an opposition player, so here goes:

Poor Coleen, Coleen
Her gooter is turning green,
she doesn't know where you've been
poor Coleen, Coleen

It is hard to resist. I must try harder.
Brendan O'Doherty
61   Posted 08/09/2010 at 19:55:28

This takes the headline on the TW front page "Competition to get in the Hole" to a whole new level...
Jamie Crowley
62   Posted 08/09/2010 at 23:21:41

James C. (55)

That woman has a voice from Heaven.

Not so sure the lyrics would be welcome up above, but it's a damn fine voice.

I have 5 kids, live in suburbia USA, one wife of 14 years, fenced yard... the lifestyle of an aspiring musician just seems fantastic... good luck to them. Hope they make it big.
Robert Daniels
63   Posted 08/09/2010 at 23:57:15

James,

One wife of 14 years, amazing... sounds a bit young tho,

Rob Daniels

6 kids,

Huyton

One wife of 14 stone.

Back yard.

The lifestyle of any fucker looks fantastic to me.
Rob Murphy
64   Posted 10/09/2010 at 14:07:47

Are we the only supporters of a team that cannot stop obsessing over a player who left us years ago? It's embarrassing. Support the team each match and stop putting posts once a week about this player.

I bet if you went on another site you would find them going on and on and on about a player who left their team. we make ourselves the butt of jokes from other fans because of this. Time to grow up lads

Andy Riley
65   Posted 10/09/2010 at 20:05:45

Just been reading that Wayne Rooney has told friends he will do anything to win Colleen back.

So... Colleen to insist Wayne returns?