Ibrahim Afellay

According to the Gossip pages on the BBC Sport website, it was stated that:

"PSV Eindhoven's Dutch winger Ibrahim Afellay, 24, claims he turned down a move to Everton this summer because he did not like "the feel" of the Goodison Park club."

This pissed me off somewhat, as it appeared a direct dig at Everton FC. I thought to myself, I wonder what happened? Was it Moyes he didn't like? The Chairman, the stadium, the city? When you read into it further though, the lad's actual quote was

"There were several clubs that tried to sign me this summer. Hamburg and Everton wanted me, but there has to be a good feeling with a club, and that was not the case, so I decided to stay at PSV."

Now is it me, or do those two quotes appear, although similar, actually quite different? I just think this highlights very well how the media, by putting a subtle twist on what someone has said, can make things seem quite different to how they are.
Lee Smith, Great Yarmouth     Posted 08/09/2010 at 11:18:13

Comments

Kevin Hudson
1   Posted 08/09/2010 at 14:17:05

Media puts an insidious spin on an innocent quote - and yet you seem suprised?!

That's how they make their money.
Brendan O'Doherty
2   Posted 08/09/2010 at 14:19:46

Maybe he didn't like the 'feeling' of being paid less with us than he would have gotten elsewhere, and is now biding his time until this happens?
David Thomas
3   Posted 08/09/2010 at 14:19:13

Lee,

Its is just normal spin from the newspapers.

A couple of months ago there was an article on the back page of the Mirror saying that "the Mirror can exclusively reveal that Fabregas will join Barcelona within the next 48 hours". 2 pages from the back of the same paper on the same day there was a small article in the top left hand corner saying "After discussions with Wenger, Fabregas was willing to stay at Arsenal for at least one more season".
Lee Smith
4   Posted 08/09/2010 at 14:25:46

@Kenin #1 - I didn't mean to come across as naive, I totally understand how it works, it's just this one really got to me.

The way BBC Gossips it, you would have thought the lad had been invited to Goodison, been shown around by Kenwright, told about our history and plans for the future by Moyes, and then after all that, decided EFC wasn't good enough for him. But on reading what he actually said, it wouldn't surprise me if he hadn't even got as far as having talks with the club, and his decision was based purely on money, as Brendan puts it.

I think David's #3 example perfectly illustrates the level of bullshit spun by the English press!!
James Marshall
5   Posted 08/09/2010 at 14:48:16

He didn't get a good feeling about the club. End of story. Have you never had say, 2 interviews around the same time for the same job and found that one feels better for reasons you can't always put your finger on? I know I have.

Does it really matter? He's never gonna play for us so forget it.
Michael Brien
6   Posted 08/09/2010 at 14:51:22

The "story" was taken from one of the newspapers. Did the player actually say this? If it was in a radio/television interview then I would regard it with less scepticism.

Was is not in the papers that Blackburn were on the verge of being taken over and that Sam would have a transfer kitty of £100M?

The reference to Afellay was under the heading "Transfer Gossip" ? that says it all really, doesn't it? Gossip doesn't always = the truth!!!

James Marshall
7   Posted 08/09/2010 at 15:04:42

Apparently.....
Danny Burke
8   Posted 08/09/2010 at 15:05:42

If I displayed the same level of competence in my job as these "journalists" ? people would die!
Jimmy Hacking
9   Posted 08/09/2010 at 15:25:58

This Afellay "scoop" has to be the stupidest non-story I've read in the tabloids this year, and that's saying something. Good point though Lee about the mangling of the players words.
Andrew Ellams
10   Posted 08/09/2010 at 16:15:57

In the interview I read, the guy stated he wanted to go to Spain. Fair play to him, he's a top player.
Norman Merrill
11   Posted 08/09/2010 at 16:59:47

Whose Ibrahim Afellay?
When he's on the wing.
Brendan McLaughlin
12   Posted 08/09/2010 at 16:45:20

I think he started to lose that "lovin feelin" when Moyes asked him if he could he also play centre half.
Tony Cheek
13   Posted 08/09/2010 at 17:35:47

Am I really pissed off now.....just went on YOUTUBE to see what he was like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9P2BmsIRDM , what a player , but probably would never fit in....hes got pace !!!
Jon Cox
14   Posted 08/09/2010 at 19:04:27

Danny (8) ? Come on then, what's your job? Please tell or the budgie gets it!!
David Hallwood
15   Posted 08/09/2010 at 20:16:39

He probably went onto ToffeeWeb and said to himself (in a Johnny Foreigner accent) "Fuck that, they're all a shower of moaning bastards!"

ps: Tony Cheek (#13), everyone looks good on YouTube, even I could look like Messi with a bit of editing.

Erik Dols
16   Posted 08/09/2010 at 20:33:34

Afellay would have been a great player for Everton ? I saw him play quite often the last five years. He has pace, can play down the wings, has a great shot and good pass, but never forgets his defensive duties, Moyes would rate him very high.

In Dutch press he recently declared he wants to go to Spain because of the climate and because he thinks both the lifestyle and football would suit him better. You could say that means he doesn't "feel" it at Everton. In Dutch press they also quote him as saying this "feel" thing, but their source is always the Daily Mirror... Lazy journalism probably.
Erik Dols
17   Posted 08/09/2010 at 20:41:06

My apologies: I did some more research on Dutch sites and found the original quote. In the "Voetbal International", Dutch football magazine, of september 1st, Afellay is directly quoted when his agent (not afellay himself!) says:

"We didn't feel right on the technical area about clubs that expressed interest in him ." I don't really know how to translate that "technical" part, he means that the type of football isn't good enough for him, I guess. Voetbal Internationals' journo has added that the two teams interested in Afellay were Hamburg and Everton.

So I guess this is the original source of al this nonsense. The quote is not from Afellay, it's from his agent, and he does not name Everton, the journalist names us. Still, could be true, especially in the light of his Spain-oriented remarks.
Aidy Dews
18   Posted 08/09/2010 at 21:11:53

I doubt we were even in for him, we wouldn't be able to afford him and I reckon it's just the journos making up stories as if we were in for players before the deadline to fill up the paper columns.

I mean, why wouldn't Everton feel right to him, our spirit amongst the squad is second to none, we've got a cracking training facility and we're a good club in the best league in the world. With Heitinga already here, I'm sure he would of told him what a good place Everton is to be.

But he is a really good player and probably someone we wouldn't have a chance of seriously getting IMO, too many good clubs would be interested in his services and he would choose others ahead of us, that's just how it is, either cos of money or European qualification.
Ray Robinson
19   Posted 08/09/2010 at 23:13:58

He probably took advice from Andy van der Meyde ......
Liu Weixian
20   Posted 09/09/2010 at 09:25:23

He is probably the kind of lazy bastard who never tracks back to help out his defence. Enough said. Next!