Members:   Log In Sign Up

ToffeeWeb's official mouthpiece... The Mirror

I was reading this piece in today's Daily Mirror and thought to myself, these quotes sound very familiar? Carried on and thought I'm sure I've heard this before.

Lo and behold, they're all quotes from the recent Rooney debates on ToffeeWeb! There's even a namecheck for the "voice of reason" Alan Kirwin and Matthew Salem.

BTW although I don't wholeheartedly agree with Alan's sentiment's on the subject, they do paint ToffeeWeb and Evertonians in general in a good light.
Stephen Kenny, Liverpool     Posted 09/09/2010 at 11:29:51

Comments

Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
1   Posted 09/09/2010 at 16:12:24

The media seem very keen to build up the frisson ahead of Saturday's clash. There are a slew of NewsNow links about Rooney set to get a roasting. I've even got an Independent journo saying they're doing a big piece on Rooney today, and wanting to talk to someone...

Nothing quite like a scurrilous sex scandal to get all the chins wagging!!!
Joey Brown
2   Posted 09/09/2010 at 16:19:08

We're famous! I remember this summer saying to someone how "surprisingly" Rooney turned out to be one of better characters in football once he grew up and had a family. How wrong I was.
Helikaon Bow
3   Posted 09/09/2010 at 16:20:28

The more shit we give him the better he will play.

I say give him a lot of early shit then support the team.
Helikaon Bow
4   Posted 09/09/2010 at 16:21:35

On another note, I wonder how many footy players read these comments and whether any Everton players are members on here...
Chris Fisher
5   Posted 09/09/2010 at 16:24:22

All I'd say about the Rooney situation is, the one time we seemed to just ignore him since he left us and concentrated on getting behind the team, we beat them 3-1!
Dennis Stevens
6   Posted 09/09/2010 at 16:25:24

It's just typical that I should neglect to post in the thread on Rooney & so miss my chance to star in the Daily Moron!
David Hallwood
7   Posted 09/09/2010 at 16:36:13

"There are a slew of NewsNow links about Rooney set to get a roasting"

No Michael you've read the reports wrong, Rooney did the roasting.
Robert Daniels
8   Posted 09/09/2010 at 16:35:45

Pity the Daily Mirror didn't do some real journalism and ask Who really owns Everton?

They could ask Phil Green for a quote... Trevor Birch, Bill Wyness, Paul Gregg, Etc etc.
Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
9   Posted 09/09/2010 at 17:10:29

Bill Wyness?!?!

I think you might be Stoned, Robert!

As in Bill Wyman... or Keith Richard.

There, I've given you a MASSIVE clue. Try again.
Tony I'Anson
10   Posted 09/09/2010 at 18:32:29

A warning to all who post on here. The lazy journo's can use your name and your comments to fill up their pages.

Helikaon Bow (#4) sounds like an anagram to me. I would like to think the players and the Board would think up creative names to join in the daily rants and raves on TW. I can imagine themselves having a laugh at some of the stuff that gets written on here.
Callum Wilson
11   Posted 09/09/2010 at 18:55:08

Protection from what? He doesn't need the police protection we aren't going to throw bottles at him and rocks through his window we're not Millwall fans! All probably most fans want to do is shout some abuse at him that football. The police saying it's classed as a Category A is a bit of a joke ? more tax payers money for more police to do nothing because nothing happens.
Matthew Salem
12   Posted 09/09/2010 at 18:55:43

Not sure if I should be embarrassed or happy to be mentioned in the Mirror. But it's disappointing that they removed the part where I say I found the booing of Rooney's brother harsh.

I have no issues with Rooney and think he is a great footballer, but that would not look very good in a tabloid, now would it...
Terry Hayes
13   Posted 09/09/2010 at 19:00:32

Well, that's really spoiled my fun! My mum read that in the Mirror and says she's going to start reading ToffeeWeb now... damn, damn and and bloody bollocks ? whoops, sorry mum.
Roy Rennison
14   Posted 09/09/2010 at 19:39:15

You really can`t be suprised at a newspaper "forgetting" an important part of the quote matthew....
Julian Wait
15   Posted 09/09/2010 at 19:35:29

@Tony #10 - I couldn't work out the anagram to anything meaningful but I did find a character called Helikaon in a book called Lord of the Silver Bow.
Ray Robinson
16   Posted 09/09/2010 at 20:13:21

Matthew, now that you've found fame (if not fortune), let's hope the Birmingham Post does not pick up on another of your recent contributions.
Jamie Tulacz
17   Posted 09/09/2010 at 20:21:52

Brilliant stuff! I look forward to seeing the roasting allegations in tomorrow's Mirror!
Jon Cox
18   Posted 09/09/2010 at 20:21:01

Joey (2), get this, I was discussing the exact same topic with a workmate this very afternoon. We were all fooled mate. What a fuckin irony as they say.

Michael (1), Totally agree and some fine words of wisdom chucked in for good measure.

Let's take the Mancs Saturday !!

COYB
Stephen Kenny
19   Posted 09/09/2010 at 20:34:39

I'm expecting a solicitor's letter off Kenwright's brief any day now after some of the things I've written about him on here.

Let's hope were not being too closely monitored? Then again... fuck him ? I've got no money anyway, much the same as him.
Robert Daniels
20   Posted 09/09/2010 at 21:07:25

Michael,

I was rushing out of the house, thanks for the clue.

I should of just said Bullybeef.

Stephen(19),

Spot on mate.
Tony McNulty
21   Posted 09/09/2010 at 22:17:56

Following Stephen (#19) maybe it's time for ToffeeWeb to try and purchase some indemnity insurance. But imagine the size of the premiums given some of the debates we've had on here?
Tony Gee
22   Posted 09/09/2010 at 22:24:45

I just had a bet on Everton to beat United at 8-1, thanks to a special online offer on http://www.grandoldteam.com/....
Mike Green
23   Posted 09/09/2010 at 22:19:09

Look lads - calm down, calm down....

I got a full para AND the headline quote!! Wha-hoo!!!!

Now that's what I call lazy journalism. Terrible. Having to resort to Mike Green for material.

By the way - do I win a mirror? Something? Anything....?

Very funny if slightly worrying stuff - wise words Tony I'Anson - beware.... the ears have walls... erm... no that's not right is it.... the walls have whales... erm no... damn, bollocks, thats my writing career over....
Mike Green
24   Posted 09/09/2010 at 22:46:36

Nice spot though, Stephen ? when Dan Formby reads this I think he might faint, eh Dan :D!
Terry Hayes
25   Posted 09/09/2010 at 23:10:48

Tony #21
What a thought! We could all end up suing each other to fuck on here!
Brendan McLaughlin
26   Posted 09/09/2010 at 23:28:44

What next?

Tony J Williams on Page 3... shake a little ass!
Brendan O'Doherty
27   Posted 09/09/2010 at 23:51:20

Mike (#23)

"he ears have walls..." etc.

Have you been on that wacky baccy AGAIN?!!
Matt Traynor
28   Posted 10/09/2010 at 05:30:41

Let's hope Maddock does a search on these pages to see how well respected he is a football scribe!
Garry Martin
29   Posted 10/09/2010 at 06:19:32

Could be that Rooney actually reads & participates on ToffeeWeb under an assumed name... how freaky is that.
Tony McNulty
30   Posted 10/09/2010 at 08:37:43

I am sure we must have a solicitor (no reference to Wayne intended there your honour, honest) amongst our erudite bretheren on here.

As a matter of interest, what is the legal position as regards some of the robust discussions and uniquevocal comments which appear on ToffeeWeb?

If lazy journalists (that was a tautology) are using ToffeeWeb as sources for stories, some of us might be open to more than verbal abuse.
Shaun Brennan
31   Posted 10/09/2010 at 09:00:52

It's got me thinking. Would there any legal implications of using a website as a source of information by journalists for ToffeeWeb or the person who wrote a comment?

There are number of people one here who question people's characters and slag and abuse players. So what's the chances of being taking to court by say someone like.... Wayne, no wait Leon Osman??
Conor Ryan
32   Posted 10/09/2010 at 09:03:03

I have a confession to make... I am Yakubu!!
Les Green
33   Posted 10/09/2010 at 09:10:06

I am Rooney and so is my wife
Mike Green
34   Posted 10/09/2010 at 09:22:19

OK, OK, you got me..... Tony Hibbert checking in.
Robert Daniels
35   Posted 10/09/2010 at 09:33:09

Am, Bill Kenwright...............Honest.
David Hallwood
36   Posted 10/09/2010 at 09:44:58

Or maybe when Rooney kissed and made up with Moyes, he stopped posting ? I always wondered what hppened to Tony Marsh?
Helikaon Bow
37   Posted 10/09/2010 at 09:46:51

I've always thought Richard Dodd was actually Ian Ross.
Tony I'Anson
38   Posted 10/09/2010 at 10:22:24

Confession - Andy King is my name. I feel so relieved now you all know.

Please keep autograph requests to a maximum.
Danny Burke
39   Posted 10/09/2010 at 10:19:33

Conor Ryan, RUN FOR THE BALL YOU LAZY GIT!
David Price
40   Posted 10/09/2010 at 10:38:17

Gutted my Rooney article and the great comments cascaded their way to a paper that doesn't feature naked ladies. Some people have shallow morals...
Tommy Coleman
41   Posted 10/09/2010 at 10:44:52

I am just Tommy Coleman, a complete nobody.
Terry Hayes
42   Posted 10/09/2010 at 10:58:05

One Tommy Coleman, there's only one Tommy Coleman... One Tommy Coleman, there's only one Tommy Coleman...

There you go Tommy, you're not nobody anymore, mate.

Paul Gladwell
43   Posted 10/09/2010 at 11:47:49

Helicaon, the more shit we give him, the more shit he plays. Remember his last couple of visits? He bites like fuck, even his manager admitted this that is why he took him off the other year, he ends up losing his head, getting booked, and taken off.

Slaughter him from the start, he is a rat and acts like one.

Robert Daniels
44   Posted 10/09/2010 at 11:46:35

What ever happens tomorrow, all I care about is the three points. But this incredable media frenzy regarding Rooney's return is I believe getting out of hand. Headlines such as welcome to hell etc, are I believe some form of incitment.

I know the majority of fans, while venting their anger at Rooney, will leave it at that, just vocal barracking, fair do's... But in the heat of it all, if Rooney scores and kisses the badge again, there could be trouble,

The papers are actively winding the crowd up before the game (not that we need it). Some fans might see this as open season, and throw something. Where will it all lead to? If there was an incident the press would be to blame.
Matthew Salem
45   Posted 10/09/2010 at 12:00:43

Nonsense Tommy (39),

You are an Evertonian! Manc, Chelski and redshite supporters are nobodies, but not you my lad!
Tommy Coleman
46   Posted 10/09/2010 at 13:58:31

Is right Matt !
Matt Traynor
47   Posted 10/09/2010 at 14:01:43

Helikaon (#35), many of us may not agree with Doddy's views, but you have to accede that he is far more eloquent than the alter ego you suggest he is, and would never describe a bunch of Everton fans on here as "drunken knobheads"...
Helikaon Bow
48   Posted 10/09/2010 at 14:08:54

Who said "drunken knobheads"?

To be honest, I agree with most of his views... not sure what you mean by your posting.
Matt Traynor
49   Posted 10/09/2010 at 14:33:52

Helikaon (#45) the Comms Officer at EFC is alleged to have made that comment about a number of shareholders at an AGM, when we still had them.

I think the person he said it to was so mortified he made sure it became common knowledge.
Andy Callan
50   Posted 10/09/2010 at 15:36:46

"Bear no malace"; "he's an Evertonian".........?!?!?!?!?!?!

Are you lot fukin' insane.

That 'orrible little twat fucked us off and left us to rot while he went to play for that fuckin' shower.

We fuckin' hate the 'orrible little bastard and the Mirror should say so. He's, quite rightly, will get fucked right off tomorrow because he deserves nowt fuckin' else.

Fuck Wayne Rooney and his mates, all galavanting around the world like they fuckin' own it. Gang of thick twats in my opinion.

I stand by what I said the other day and still hope he gets crabs off the next pro he shags.
Liu Weixian
51   Posted 10/09/2010 at 14:11:38

Just give him lots of stick with a few tasty tackles thrown in. Give no quarter. He is no longer an Everton player so down he goes.
Helikaon Bow
52   Posted 10/09/2010 at 17:28:02

Ah ok, didn't know that.

Let's see what happens tomorrow.
James I'Anson
53   Posted 10/09/2010 at 17:52:12

Rooney "cried on the phone to leave the club he loves".

Never did understand that. It doesn't make any sense.

Alan Kirwin
54   Posted 10/09/2010 at 23:50:50

Tomorrow's Guardian has the revelation that Rooney was due to play for Everton in Carragher's testimonial. Moyes asked him, Rooney agreed and, seemingly, was relishing the prospect. Sadly, Capello refused to allow Rooney time away from England, despite giving Gerrard that special dispensation.

The same piece offers an interesting quote from Mikel Arteta... "I don't like to see people behaving badly towards Wayne. He's been a terrific player and he loves Everton. He left for a massive club and brought a lot of money to this one. He's not said anything bad about this club and all the players and staff like him."

I have sensed something in the ether for a wee while. Rooney was still a kid when he left here, and a very badly advised one at that. He's still a flawed character, but he's moved on a long way. His feelings for Everton are, I believe, unarguable. When he plays against us he always, always, plays within himself.

The reasons behind my earlier pronouncements, i.e. that we should move on and not bait Rooney are partly born out of affection for a very talented young Evertonian, and partly born of enlightened self interest. A highly motivated and wound up Wayne Rooney can do us a lot of damage. I prefer him (at Goodison) as a wolf in sheep's clothing. 3 points are all I'm interested in.

But back to the earlier point; I sense an unmistakeable narrative being played out that will ultimately result in Rooney returning to the fold. The prospect will increase/decrease in line with our ability to compete for a CL place or even for the title.

Baiting Rooney tomorrow will only help one cause and that cause is not EFC.

Robert Daniels
55   Posted 11/09/2010 at 00:36:26

Alan,

Spot on.
Robert Daniels
56   Posted 11/09/2010 at 09:20:46

There's a quote in the Echo now taken off ToffeeWeb, it's on NewsNow regarding players who have slipped down the ladder.

We're being watched.