Members:   Log In Sign Up

Team to face United

With Saha, Rodwell and Anichebe out for United, what team would you like to see?

I think we should play a 4-3-3 and take the game to them. Too often, Moyes sets his team up to react to the opposition's strengths and less about imposing our own attacking will and giving the opposition something to think about. I'd like to see:

Howard
Coleman Jagielka Heitinga Baines
        Arteta(c) Fellaini Pienaar
       Gueye Cahill Bilyaletdinov
I fully expect to see Neville in the team instead of Seamus but I think this would be a cracking game for him to really show what he's capable of. I also think Gary Neville will shit himself if Coleman and Gueye are running at him with Arteta orchestrating things from that side of the pitch.

We have the partnership of Pienaar and Baines to operate down the other side with Bily ahead of them cutting inside and taking pops at goal.

At the back, we've got Heitinga to play the ball out of defence with Fellaini dropping deep when needed to help with the height.
Ben Howard, London     Posted 10/09/2010 at 16:40:17

Comments

Kevin Hudson
1   Posted 10/09/2010 at 18:24:11

Certainly applaud the attacking sentiment, but I'd go with Beckford instead of Gueye.

Can't wait to get into the Lower Gwladys... gonna be seething tommorrow!!
Tony I'Anson
2   Posted 10/09/2010 at 18:28:21

Predict he'll play Hiibbert or Neville. Distin will play.

But agreed with your comments about getting behind Gary Neville to create chances.
Sam Hoare
3   Posted 10/09/2010 at 18:56:06

Dont think Neville will play. For them. He will for us if fit. If not Hibbert. No chance Davey starts Coleman against Man Utd. I predict little change.

Howard
Hibbert Jags Distin Baines
Fella Arteta
Bily Cahill Pienaar
Beckford

Not what I want but what I expect.

I think we will play well mostly, that it will be a close game but that we will eventually be undone by moment of either madness (from us) or genius (from them). 1-2 maybe.

I really hope I'm wrong, just doesn't seem to be going our way at the moment.
Andy Crooks
4   Posted 10/09/2010 at 18:57:02

This probably isn't the game for it but I would like to see Beckford play behind the striker. He isn't a lone striker and it will destroy him to play that role. He must, though, start tomorrow. The game is made for him, something to prove and the occasion to do it. There is no point naming who I'd like to start because it won't happen.

It will be a safety first formation, United will be treated with too much respect and David Moyes, in my view, would grab a draw now. United aren't a great side, we have decent players... Lets's go out and get fucking wired into them. Let our season start tomorrow.

Ryan Holroyd
5   Posted 10/09/2010 at 19:18:57

Beckford behind the striker. What's the logic in that? He's turd and shouldn't be near a squad aiming to be in the top 6.
Jon Cox
6   Posted 10/09/2010 at 19:07:56

Andy,agreed.
But Moyes must surely have heard the whispers that he's too defensive and negative. He therefore has at somepoint in time got to think "screw this" and will pick a team that goes for the jugular in every game? With the time Moyes has been with the club, and taking into account, that which he has never won, I feel that the point at which Moyes has a "road to Damascus" moment is very close and getting nearer every game we draw or lose.

But for tomorrow, Coleman to start wide right. All Moyes has got to do is let him loose!!

COYB
David Thomas
7   Posted 10/09/2010 at 19:18:04

Andy,

Whilst I would agree that I don't think you will get the best out of Beckford as a lone striker, I certainly would not want to see him play behind the striker in any game. To get the best out of him you would need to play someone just off him. However, he is a natural goal poacher and would be 100% out of his depth at premiership level being asked to play behind the striker and attempt to link the play between the midfield and main striker etc.
Chris Perry
8   Posted 10/09/2010 at 19:32:13

Scores on the doors for tomorrow's 12:45 kick off:

2-1 Everton: scorers: Cahill and Bily

This has the proviso that Johnny Heitinga plays at the back with Jagielka, or in midfield if he puts Fellaini up-front.

Rob Noonan
9   Posted 10/09/2010 at 19:32:39

What's going on with the Yak? Fitness?
Alan Kirwin
10   Posted 10/09/2010 at 19:28:02

My instinct is not to have Beckford anywhere near a game like this. He's way off the pace.

Then I remembered what he did at Old Trafford last season. As the only fit forward, what else can we do?

I'd like to see 4-2-3-1 to nullify the threat of Scholes & Berbatov. But if we do that we'd need Coleman for width & surprise, so it looks like 4-4-1-1.
Robert Daniels
11   Posted 10/09/2010 at 19:38:51

Coleman has said there will be a big suprise for saturday,

Coleman right wing?
Gavin Ramejkis
12   Posted 10/09/2010 at 20:03:39

I cant see DM going for anything beyond a draw tomorrow, Beckford up front with support from Fellaini and Cahill but predict a close match for 60 mins or so until an inevitable overrun from their midfield and the game ends 3-0 to them.
Nick Entwistle
13   Posted 10/09/2010 at 20:13:13

Moyes will always go for a win, only he doesn't see that as reason to go out and play like Brazil... or however Brazil used to play anyway. I do hope though Coleman is placed in as wildcard on the right wing. Nothing like a young player scared of no-one running at the big teams.
Andy Crooks
14   Posted 10/09/2010 at 20:26:08

I agree with you about Coleman but "Moyes will always go for a win" Really?
Dick Fearon
15   Posted 10/09/2010 at 21:30:12

As usual, Moyes will go for a low-scoring game with the likely winner being a shot from outside the box through a crowded penalty area.

I would have a guess at 1-0, to who? I pray it will be us.
Mike Oates
16   Posted 10/09/2010 at 22:04:00

Absolute Cert Team:

Howard
Neville Jags Distin Baines
Heitinga
Pienaar Arteta Fellaini
Cahill
Beckford.

Jay Harris
17   Posted 10/09/2010 at 22:48:38

Mike,
dont think you'e too far out there with the "safe" option but isnt there some doubt over Neville's fitness?

I really hope Coleman gets the chance to cut the mustard (couldnt resist that one) and Billy is held back till the last 15 minutes.
Craig Bellew
18   Posted 10/09/2010 at 23:49:47

If you are all wanting Beckford to play, then he strives off wingers with NATURAL ability. If he doesn't get balls coming into the box from the wide areas, then forget it as he is non-functional when we don't create this for him.

I can see a one-nil to either side tomorrow and hope it goes OUR way... otherwise, I can see an early season struggle to get out of the bottom half of the Prem.
Dee Gidwani
19   Posted 11/09/2010 at 02:55:32

Agree with Mike, that's the team I expect to see line up against Utd. The only change would be Hibbert for Neville if he's not fit.
Brian Noble
20   Posted 11/09/2010 at 10:18:56

I fully expect Moyes to go into this game without an acknowledged striker. Probably use Fellaini and Cahill with Beckford to appear when the game is lost at 70 mins. How`s that for confidence in our genius manager?
Dave Smith
21   Posted 11/09/2010 at 11:47:34

I think it's unrealistic of people to want David Moyes to suddenly switch formation before a key game.

Whether it's 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, if the team havn't been using this formation in training, your only going to end up with 10 headless chickens who won't know where anyone is.