Members:   Log In Sign Up

Pip's misplaced loyalty

We know Phil Neville is a Manchester United supporter and that's fair enough considering the years he spent and the trophies he collected there; however, as the current captain of Everton Football Club he has a responsibilty to the club and supporters to promote the Everton brand. This statement is a fucking disgrace:

"The pinnacle of [managerial] jobs in the world must be Old Trafford. In my mind, there is no shadow of doubt that, when Sir Alex chooses to retire, David Moyes is far from unimaginable as his successor. As yet he might not have won a trophy but he's top three in this division.

For Everton, it would be no shame to have the manager offered the chance to take over at United ? just so long as we've won that trophy first." ? Source: Sport.co.uk .

Next up: Our Captain tells us all how we should be grateful that Jack Rodwell can use Everton as a stepping stone to great things at Old Trafford.

Patronising twat.
Liam Reilly, London     Posted 15/09/2010 at 08:01:20

Comments

Peter Anthony
1   Posted 15/09/2010 at 14:48:52

Too fucking right it is a disgraceful comment.. He should apologise straight away or get the armband stripped off him and stuck in the stiffs. He plays right back and if was as decent as Baines going forward and could retain possesion without having to pass square or back nearly all the time, we'd probably be a lot better off success wise already..
He probably thinks football started in 1992.... Any Captain of the Mighty and Proud EVERTON FC should be fully aware that without a mountain of debt carrying them we'd be above those cheating diving arrogant wankers already...
Come end of this season we should be there or thereabouts if this squad can really click and through off the fearful tactics and play the attacking game and players that will take us upwards. 3 points for a win and only 1 point for a draw For Fuck Sake!!!! Footballers aren't very bright generally and because they have so much money it is a pity they think it means they can talk sence...What a thick insulting cuntish thing to say!
Andrew Fair
2   Posted 15/09/2010 at 15:24:44

I beg to differ. Its refreshing to see a footballer being so honest. I'm sure Neville was asked specifically about this topic and has given his honest and frank views on the subject. He never once says he wants Moyes to go or that United are better for Moyes. He just states the facts and the belief that many people have in that Moyes will move to United eventually.

Personally, I applaud the man and hope that, if Moyes does go to United, then Neville will replace him. I've been thinking for a long time about putting a tenner on Neville to replace Moyes as the next EFC manager. I'm sure he's learnt a lot from two of the best British managers the prem has seen.

Nick Entwistle
3   Posted 15/09/2010 at 15:23:11

"The pinnacle of [managerial] jobs in the world must be Old Trafford. In my mind, there is no shadow of doubt that, "

Ok, personal oppinion. But not a wrong thing to believe. Even if he is wrong :)

"when Sir Alex chooses to retire, David Moyes is far from unimaginable as his successor. As yet he might not have won a trophy but he's top three in this division. "

More than what a lot of people on here think of him...

"For Everton, it would be no shame to have the manager offered the chance to take over at United"

No there wouldn't... if a little condescending.

" just so long as we've won that trophy first."

Presumably We is Everton and not Utd, then that's fine. Though nothing like kicking on after a trophey is there...

I'd rather not take a snippet of interview from the sport and come down on Pip who is quite used to handling the media. But I can see the pip could hit the fan.
Nick Entwistle
4   Posted 15/09/2010 at 15:33:08

Actually, having bothered to click on the artical, the editor has obviously seen the quotes as an oppostunity to deliver a contentious report and the journo has written it as such.
Jimmy Hacking
5   Posted 15/09/2010 at 15:34:21

Don't see a lot wrong with this. Anyone who thinks that the offer to replace That twat fergie at Manure wouldnt be any kind of honour must be certifiable.

Pip still has fond feelings towards the club he spent the first 10 years of his career, and won approx. 137 medals. What a scoop!
Richard Reeves
6   Posted 15/09/2010 at 15:35:26

He should be stripped of the captaincy. He is no way a first choice player and it is over due that Mikel becomes full-time captain. And on the subject of Moyes going to Manure, you can just here the crowd at Old Trafford, instead of attack-attack-attack, attack, attack it will be defend-defend-defend, attack, defend. We should not be a feeder club or a stepping stone, we are EVERTON FC!
Shaun Brennan
7   Posted 15/09/2010 at 16:28:19

I wouldn't read too much into it. Neville talks a lot of bollocks a lot of time and he is just bigging Moyes up.

Do you really think in three to four years time United would opt for Moyes over say Mourinho?
Tony J Williams
8   Posted 15/09/2010 at 17:02:16

Nowt wrong with his comments to me.

The pinacle of a managers career will be fighting for the Premier League and the Champions leage, not exactly a secret that.

It will be interesting to see how many games we have won as Mikel as captain. I am guessing it's not too many.
John Nelson
9   Posted 15/09/2010 at 16:53:22

Too fucking right he should be stripped of the captaincy. I for one have been getting sick of him talking shit every 5 minutes to the media with his "rallying cries" and how we'll "bounce back". Coupled with this the fact that HE'S NOT THAT FUCKING GOOD, it winds me up even more.

Tell you what Phil, stop talking shite and try to concentrate on attempting to play football and, at present, justifyingly winning back your place in the team.

COYB
John Nelson
10   Posted 15/09/2010 at 17:06:13

Also, Nick Entwistle "I find it hard to believe people fall for this shit time and again and yet they do. Grow up. Have some objectivity."

Yes the media twists and turns quotes for the sole purpose of selling papers, however a lot of fans are doing nothing wrong with reacting to comments like these - it's simply being passionate (albeit more passionate than others, and over the top at times, a category I count myself in!) about the Blues.
David Price
11   Posted 15/09/2010 at 17:03:36

First i've heard of this, not amused that the club captain can say it's an honour etc for Moyes to manage Utd.
To manage Utd in the future will be a nightmare, replace Giggs, Neville, Van Der Saar and Scholes with no cash to do it, run the club on a negative net spend as a massive debt needs servicing and watch the green and gold moaning fuckers wonder why the standards are dropping.
Last nights performance versus Rangers was a taste of the future.
Pip, put your own name in the frame son, the yanks will love a nodding dog.
Andy Crooks
12   Posted 15/09/2010 at 17:46:32

I think Nick has summed this up. Phil Neville is an Evertonian and this is a non story. In my view being the manager of Everton must be the best job in the world. For any unbiased observer, however, Man Utd must be near the pinnacle. David Moyes would be insane to ever consider it, (I believe he will never be offered it).
Whoever follows Ferguson will be in the position of the poor deluded fools who followed Matt Busby. David Moyes will be Celtic manager some day and will finally win a trophy.
Ste Traverse
13   Posted 15/09/2010 at 17:52:37

I too have been fed up with his rallying crys and soundbites but this is one to many.

Strip him of the captaincy, pronto.
Steve Pugh
14   Posted 15/09/2010 at 17:56:54

Please read the article again, Pip says it would be an honour to be offered the job. He never said that DM should take the job.

Also, the United job probably is the pinnacle of managerial jobs, certainly in England.

I think some people are to quick to criticise on here, at times.
Liam Reilly
15   Posted 15/09/2010 at 18:23:10

Nick Entwistle #2

Sorry to awaken you from your slumber with my comments but this is the captain of the Football club that I am passionate about and the comments are a fucking disgrace. Can you see Gerrard, Terry or Neville declaring that the Real Madrid managerial role is the biggest in the business, would you fuck.

Accept second rate ? you get second rate... and aspire to nothing.

Pat Finegan
16   Posted 15/09/2010 at 18:27:35

Think about it from a neutral perspective. At Everton, your best young striker in years and club saviour goes to Manure. At Manure, you buy the best young players (and experienced players) from clubs without as much money. Then, if they don't pan out, it's no big deal because there's more money in the bank. Sad but true.
Liam Reilly
17   Posted 15/09/2010 at 18:43:44

But Pat, our club captain isn't a neutral.

Liam Reilly
18   Posted 15/09/2010 at 18:48:35

With the title comes a responsibility to promote the club to the media at all times. This sends out the wrong message to the younger players.
Karl Masters
19   Posted 15/09/2010 at 18:53:01

I hope he has been mis-quoted.

If he really did say that Moyes should be aiming to be Manager of Manure and that Rodwell should also be looking to go there he needs a public reprimand.
Andrew Presly
20   Posted 15/09/2010 at 18:50:38

I just hope the twat never gets the honour of managing us himself so this sorry saga doesn't repeat itself in 5 years if Pip mamages a couple of top 6 finishes, a cup final defeat and some "brave" Euro exits....

I expect everyone at the top levels of EFC to have a healthy disrespect / loathing for "United". Obviously Neville will always be an exception, sadly.

One of my favourite Moyes moments was from the 1-0 win from 2005, Scholes or such like got a red, Fergie started acting up and Moyes gave him both barrels as we held on for victory. What a night.
Ryan Holroyd
21   Posted 15/09/2010 at 19:54:12

Well, we will won fuck all under Kenwright and Moyes so Moyes will be here for long time.
Paul Foster
22   Posted 15/09/2010 at 19:55:24

Calm down.

Ok, so not everybody loves his rallying cries. But what you can't deny is that he has gone above and beyond the call of duty over the years in saying positive things about our club. At last, a captain who tells the media we're a "great club", a "massive club" with an "illustrious history". A "sleeping giant", "as big as any club in the country" (all direct quotes from Neville).

This is not a man who condescends Everton in anyway. He's deeply passionate about the club and has restored a bit of pride in the way he talks about us.

But he's also human and as club captain does dozens of interviews a month. It's therefore hardly surprising a couple of quotes won't come out quite right.

Just read the article and think about the context:

Do you think he just offered these quotes up for fun, unprompted? C'mon, you know how journalism works. It's all about leading questions and taking a nod of affirmation as 100% agreement with the question asked, word for word ("Do you think it's unimaginable that David Moyes could be considered for the Man Utd job? Is Old Trafford generally seen as the pinnacle for managers? I know it's speculative, but just humour me ... Imagine if David Moyes did take over at United, just for a moment ... what would that mean for Everton?")

No need to get all upset about it. With his over-zealous rallying cries, Neville is the last player's commitment and pride you should be questioning!
Rob Hollis
23   Posted 15/09/2010 at 20:30:08

How about
'With what we are building here I expect a similar long run of success as Man U have enjoyed in the PL, starting with a trophy this season. We fully intend to be the next powerbase in English football. Jack Rodwell, a future England Captain will achieve that and much more here.'

or is that too positive about the club that pays your bloody wages?
Michael Brien
24   Posted 15/09/2010 at 20:49:34

Stripped of the captaincy - what a load of rubbish. He still has some feelings for the club where he started his career, where he won shed loads of medals!! Are you stupid !!! Clearly Yes you are. Phil Neville is totally commited to Everton - of course he has feelings towards Man United - for goodness sake the guy is only human.

Back in 1986-87 Paul Power scored against Man City at Maine Road - he didn't celebrate in the usual manner as a former Man City player of many years. Nobody suggested that he was less commited to Everton because he clearly had some feelings for his former club.
Just another pathetic attempt to have a go at Neville.

Paul Foster
25   Posted 15/09/2010 at 20:52:12

Rob, do you mean like 3 weeks ago when he said "Jack excites me every time I see him play. He's one of my favourite young players and, if I was England manager, I'd be looking to get him into the full squad."

Or 18 months ago when he said: "The whole club has been shaped by David Moyes so it would be a massive, massive disaster for him to leave, but I am sure that is not going to happen. I am sure he will be here for years to come."

Or maybe after the semi final against Man U when he said: "I was in Wembley stadium, the pinnacle of football, I had played well for the club I love against the club I used to love playing for. It was one of the happiest moments in my career."

What he clearly meant in the interview in Scotland is that it will be NO surprise if United come sniffing. And it will be NO surprise if Moyes is tempted to manage them. Both facts, given in response to leading questions.

I'd love to see how some of you lot would get on if you had a microphone shoved under your knows every 10 minutes for a soundbite.
Rob Hollis
26   Posted 15/09/2010 at 22:09:45

Paul

They would have more luck shoving a microphone under my nose!
Ciarán McGlone
27   Posted 15/09/2010 at 21:59:34

Why does he need to open his mouth at all?

You can say all you want about journalists and their tendencies but they don't make them open their mouths and come out with this ill-advised garbage.

Someone asks you a question about another club... 'No comment' or even stony silence would do... Simples.
Paul Foster
28   Posted 15/09/2010 at 22:39:04

Alright, so that was a glaring typo! Spelling ain't my forte. But the point still stands ...
Lee Kidd
29   Posted 15/09/2010 at 23:10:43

Whilst he probably right in what he's saying, he shouldn't be saying it as captain of Everton. So in my opinion (which may sound extreme) he should either apologise or be stripped of the captaincy because he's making out that the players who perform for Everton are mediocre.

Added to that, he's utterly shit.

On a sidenote, Moyes would be an undoubted flop at United. He thrives on being an underdog - that's the reason we're shit early on in seasons when we're generally fancied to do well.
Rob Hollis
30   Posted 15/09/2010 at 23:14:44

Paul
Do you not think that whilst Phil Neville might show respect to his former club, he should in no way indicate they might be a better opportunity for his present club manager?

I could perhaps understand it if we were two divisions below and had no chance of competing but not when we are trying to challenge their undoubted PL superiority.

The mental positioning has to be reinforced at all times. You never win anything otherwise.
Gerry Western
31   Posted 15/09/2010 at 23:58:01

Having read some of the posts above it's easy to dismiss his recent comments as opportunistic journalism but that wouldn't be the whole story. I can still recall P Neville appearing as a SKY pundit. Man City v's Liverpool. It's half time in the studio and it's all square. He's asked at this stage about the outcome and who he'd prefer to win. His response was unequivocal. He was desperate for the neighbours to win and he wasn't joking either.

The commentator actually remarked he never thought he'd hear an Everton captain say that. What was all the more remarkable was that at the time we still had aspirations of overhauling them in the race for champions league football and we desperately needed city to win it to deny them the 3 points. I was gob-smacked to be honest and a little surprised it wasn't commented on here at the time.
Ian Kearney
32   Posted 16/09/2010 at 00:17:23

I have no problem with his comments, the only problem I have with Neville is he's a crap footballer.
Nick Entwistle
33   Posted 16/09/2010 at 00:08:51

Liam Reilly... regarding my number two comments I would have to say no I wouldn't. But, perception of clubs rise and fall depending on their ability to win tropheys. What about the mid '80s. You telling me Utd were the top job then?

They've had an unprecedented run of success since 1990, yet if they were to end up mid table season after season with their new manager, would they not be thought less of?

One day, we'll be back as the biggest job, just hope its before I'm 6ft under.

Mark Griffiths
34   Posted 16/09/2010 at 08:29:21

PN supports Bury, he is bound to have feelings for Manure, but he really does love Everton a great deal in fact given some of his comments in the past he loves EFC even more than Manure, plus even quotes can be twisted. Calm Down!
Richard Dodd
35   Posted 16/09/2010 at 09:49:37

Methinks you are misguided with this judgement of Captain Pip. I believe him to be already lined up as the natural successor to Davey when he eventually moves on. As he does with Davey, Blue Bill thinks the world of him ? and rightly so!
Martin Faulkner
36   Posted 16/09/2010 at 12:07:52

While he's been a half decent servant in his time here, we have outgrown him. Probably did last year to be honest. I don't think for a minute that he "loves" Everton, only that he's very savvy in regards to media comments most of the time.

Been caught out a bit here in trying to balance his supposed new love for the ex. We should get rid in January and buy a full back with a left foot who isn't able to play in the holding role and at centre back and everywhere else (because he's shite everywhere). We don't need utility players ? we've got a team full of them. Let's see if the barcodes fancy paying his retirement.

And here's a wild idea, how about buying a fucking winger for the first time in 8 years? (Drunken arseholes don't count.)

James Marshall
37   Posted 16/09/2010 at 13:49:01

Seems pretty reasonable to me. Slip off your blue tinted specs, get into the 21st century and realise that Everton are simply not the big club we once were.

We've been overtaken by loads of others and we must learn our place - at the middle table, not the top one.

Love it or loathe, its true. The Man Utd job is one of the most coveted in World football. The job at Everton is one of the most coveted on Merseyside.
Anthony Hughes
38   Posted 16/09/2010 at 14:02:32

I think, when Ferguson goes, they will be looking for a man with a higher profile and Champions League experience and some trophy winning success on their CV than risk taking on our manager. Once Mourinho completes his project at Real Madrid and wins the Champions League he'll being looking at his next job. Rest easy, guys ? I think Moyes is here for a while yet!!! (not that i'm saying that's entirely a good thing).
Rob Hollis
39   Posted 16/09/2010 at 14:28:59

James
Provocative!
If you believe that, then that is where you stay.
Good job Brian Clough never thought like you.
Depressing.
Alex Gibney
40   Posted 16/09/2010 at 15:22:28

He only said what is actually true whether people want to accept it or not. Man United are far bigger than Everton at the moment and who wouldn't want to manage them. So anyone that ignores that is just burying their heads in the sand. The reality is Moyes won't get the United job as he has absolutely no European tactical acumen, as he has so far proven with us.
Anthony Hughes
41   Posted 16/09/2010 at 15:30:58

It's not nice reading but it's true what James says. None of us like it but under our present regime we will never become one of the big boys again unless we do a City or Chelsea, buying our way into the big boys club.

Football in Cloughie's era can't be compared to the financial state of the game now, he would struggle to compete against the moneybags teams, it was a fairer playing field back then.
Charles King
42   Posted 16/09/2010 at 17:43:17

Every now and again the gulf between supporters who pay the wages and the footballer is revealed.....it's a fuckin' chasm isn't it.

True or false what an ignorant ill advised statement to make, from accepted manc to utter wank in one easy interview.
Lee Kidd
43   Posted 16/09/2010 at 19:36:27

People are missing the point completely - whilst everything he said is in essence true, he shouldn't be saying it as Everton captain because it's a defeatist attitude. With a mentality like that we'll never compete with the "top drawer" sides as even our own captain is resigned to the fact we're "second tier".

He really should be stripped of the captaincy.

I completely agree with @40 regarding Moyes - if he ever takes over at United, he'll be horribly exposed. I really like Moyes as a motivator, but he's one of the worst tacticians I've ever seen.
Andy Crooks
44   Posted 16/09/2010 at 20:05:50

Richard, methinks your wind-ups are superb.
Roy Coyne
45   Posted 17/09/2010 at 22:13:11

Not bothered,he just does not think before opening his mouth.he is a reporters dream .should be taken aside by Moyes to explain in simple terms think what you like but never disrespect the club in public,I pray he never gets the top job Im sure gary will find a spot for him when he takes over from Taggart