Key reasons why we won't be winners under Moyes

It would be easy for me to type Neville, Osman, Hibbert, Beckford as four of the reasons, but I'll resist...

Why we will never be winners under David Moyes:

1) His atrocious team selection; last season, after Xmas, we were pretty good, we have all players available... but what does he do? Plays people out of position or not al all.

2) His obsession with 1 up front.

3) His obsession with leaving it until it's too late before making a substitution or having any impact.

4) His "pathetic" attempt at mind games.

5) His defensive approach.

6) The fact that he dithers and sees good players go elsewhere... Fernandes for one speaks volumes as does the crap he comes out with: "This is my strongest squad yet". Wake up, Dave ? you ain't at PNE now.

7) Loyalty ? gets him nowhere... as shown by that Gosling, who I hope falls on the football scrap heap.

8) His backroom staff.

9) His inability to take calculated risks.

10) Because he has never won fuck all in his life.

Tomorrow: 1-1... another shite display, no attacking options, no idea in the final third, no cutting edge, third-rate players like Osman, Beckford, Hibbert and Neville getting as much as a sniff of a start.
Chris Perry, Chandlers Ford     Posted 17/09/2010 at 20:03:42

Comments

Neil Humphrey
1   Posted 18/09/2010 at 06:32:15

Nice balanced analysis Chris [heavy sarcasm]. Are you prepared to come back on the site to admit how wrong you were after we hammer the Barcodes 4-0? Troll.
Pat Finegan
2   Posted 18/09/2010 at 06:33:35

Ok, let's fire Moyes. Now what? Is there a better option? The answer to that is yes, probably, but would they willing to come to Everton?

A couple weeks ago that "financial fair play table" came out. Everton were on top, you know why? David Moyes. He is far from perfect as we all agree and the man himself would likely admit the same, but he gets the job done. Every year, we overachieve, we've even made the Campions League under his reign. Yet for some reason we continue to whine because we don't have any trophies.

Here's reality: With our financial situation we should be facing relegation battles year in, year out but we're not. Be thankful for what you have (a quality manager) and if you decide that you feel the need to criticize someone at least point the finger at the right person. If we had some investment we could talk about trophies. Unfortunately, we don't and the only people that know why we don't are BK and God himself. Perhaps BK doesn't want to sell the club, perhaps he really can't find a good investor, I don't know. But what I do know is that a lack of funds, whatever the cause thereof, is what's keeping us from success.

Just to clear things up, I'm not saying I disagree with your criticisms of Moyes. I don't particularly like some of his strategies myself. I'm just saying that management is not the cause of our troubles.
Pat Finegan
3   Posted 18/09/2010 at 06:53:38

And where does Beckford come from? he's played what? 100 minutes total and you think it would be easy to blame him? As if he's done something wrong. I know whose fault it is; It's Jan Mucha's fault. He has no offensive prowess at all. I mean, he didn't score in preseason, didn't score against Huddersfield. Yea, let's blame Mucha next...
Ged Simpson
4   Posted 18/09/2010 at 06:44:53

Chris...............I genuinely believe your are certifiably insane. I have no illusion that DM is the best manager in the league but I do believe we have a manager who is of a quality that is way above the real status of Everton at present.

We are a skint club who, with many of the other managers available, would be buying nothing but 30-year-old has-beens (remember Smith?s reign) and would have been consistently fighting relegation.
This is his strongest squad yet probably and one that will do top 8 this season in my view. That is on a couple of million spent. Our money goes on paying the wages of that squad.
It is lovely to wander around dreamily singing ?If Ya Know your history.....? but harder to sing ?If you know reality...? If you did, you?d realise we have about the best manager we are capable of attracting at present. And if we don?t win anything... I would put that down to who we can attract for the relatively few quid we have rather than the management.

Be careful what you wish for..........you could end up with someone like Woy.

Ged Simpson
5   Posted 18/09/2010 at 07:01:36

PS...is calling a fellow Blue certifiably insane against Toffeeweb policy ?
Ray Roche
6   Posted 18/09/2010 at 08:10:02

Chris:

"1) His atrocious team selection; last season, after Xmas, we were pretty good, we have all players available... but what does he do? Plays people out of position or not at all."

We were pretty good? We showed title winning form, is that not good enough for you? I suppose Moyes had nothing to do with that,apart from picking the wrong team! Maybe you should bugger off back to the 606 Playschool. Dear Lord, I've read some crap on here but that takes the biscuit.

Derek Thomas
7   Posted 18/09/2010 at 08:29:23

You are Tony Marsh and I claim the 10 pound prize.

If you keep going around the bend you will meet Mr Dodd coming the other way

Oh, and you left Bily off your list of reasons to be miserable.

Though there are days when I can see where you are coming from. The short version is, as stated elsewhere, maybe not the best we have ever had, but the best we will get in the for seasble future...but hey, no one said it was easy.
Roy Rennison
8   Posted 18/09/2010 at 08:52:39

Utter shit,moyes has done wonders with what he`s been given.Yes,sometimes i`m as mystified as the next person at the line up,but moyes gets results and i for one think if he had 30mill to spend on the team we would be champs league certainties.
Kevin Roberts
9   Posted 18/09/2010 at 08:53:48

Ray #9 couldn't agree more just another "Moyes is shit; Neville is shit; Osman is shit; Hibbert is shit; Beckford is shit" ? the only thing he didn't say is Everton are shit. Sorry about all the shit but what the hell........

The players listed may not be world beaters but with at least 3 of the 4 you know will go out and give 100% every time. The 4th one is Beckford and it's too early I feel to judge yet. Remember Fellaini ? I think too many people made a snap judgement and now have perhaps changed their mind.
Goto go... got a match to go too.

Nick Entwistle
10   Posted 18/09/2010 at 09:21:45

Moyes is too defensive but doesn't calculate risks?
Pathetic attempts at mind games? Far as I know he has never really indulged.

The only point which I can agree with is subs. Always after the 60 minutes, though how well did they came good against Utd didn't they?

Also, why do those who wish to defend the man always bring up the who else argument. Or the financial argumant. Totally uneccessary. Great manager.
Ped Pearl
11   Posted 18/09/2010 at 09:52:00

There are more important things to talk about such as...

Seriously the ugliest thing I have ever seen.
Tommy Coleman
12   Posted 18/09/2010 at 09:54:22

I agree with points, 2,3,5,7,9 and 10.

All those slagging Chris off, give your own reasons why we've never won anything under Moyes.

We will beat Newcastle today though i'm sure.
Tony Cheek
13   Posted 18/09/2010 at 10:08:47

Sorry Chris, but this has all been said before, maybe not in the same mail though. There are points we all agree with and some not, but mostly just "doom and gloom". Think DM was really close to our best starting line up last week. Osman out, Coleman in and the barcodes get a thrashing.

Be patient, it's coming together, just a bit slower than we hoped for.

Robbie Shields
14   Posted 18/09/2010 at 10:21:22

Chris, I understand your frustration mate, Moyes has built the best squad we've had for 20 years and the best team spirit, but for some reason can't seem to pick his best players in their best positions and go for it. Fellaini and Cahill upfront with 2 strikers on the bench against United was criminal for me.

With the dark side looking like they could be imploding, now is the time to be bold and ATTACK. The more the mighty blues win, and win with style, the more pressure is put on our lovable neighbours. We're not in any danger of going down anymore (thanks DM), but we've got to change our mentality, let's go out with 2 up front for 45 minutes and go for the bar codes.

I've got to disagree with your Beckford view, I saw him in Australia training and in the match against Brisbane, head and shoulders above Vaughan etc. But he needs a centre forward up with him, like the Yak, otherwise he'll go the same way as Beattie and Johnson, disillusioned strikers forever running into the corner flag, then waiting for the midfield to catch up with him and help him out or win a free kick, percentage football at it's worst.

This squad and team is too good to be defensive first, come on Moyes, 2 up front at home and

ATTACK,ATTACK,ATTACK,ATTACK,ATTACK.
Ray Roche
15   Posted 18/09/2010 at 10:55:26

Like the rest of us,I've seen precious little of Beckford at Prem level and can only go on what my mate, an Elland Rd season ticket holder, says. He has never thought Beckford can step up to Premier League level and is better playing teams on the break where he can use his pace, and not as a recognised target man or striker in the Yak mould. Robbie Shields is right, he would only end up as another, but cheaper, Johnson or Beattie if we play him in using hoofball tactics. I'm not convinced he has the first touch required to be a "fox in the box". We'll see.
Anthony Hughes
16   Posted 18/09/2010 at 11:24:45

I'm not the biggest Moyes fan, but fuck me you really hate the fella Chris.

Terry Downes
17   Posted 18/09/2010 at 11:43:00

If or when he goes, may I suggest Owen Coyle as our next manager?

He reminds me of moyes when he first came to Everton ? full of energy and ideas...
Mike Allison
18   Posted 18/09/2010 at 12:15:01

Okay Tommy (15),

(1) because winning things is bloody difficult when you have fewer resources than around ten of your competitors.

End of list.

Moyes has been too defensive, he is too cautious in team selection (in terms of sticking to the tried and trusted players) and he leaves attacking substitutions too late. I'm also frustrated by our failure to ever sign the right winger we've needed for about five years. However, none of these statements makes the OP anything less than ridiculous.
Terry Beeken
19   Posted 18/09/2010 at 12:19:35

Chris Perry ? I understand your frustrations mate but hang in there; in the words of the great D:REAM ? THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER!!

Terry D.22, I said the same thing to a fellow evertonian and he laughed at me. I am with you, I think he's a decent manager.

One final thought: a few years ago, whilst listening to Radio 5-Live's 606 programme, Charlton had just lost and nearly every Charlton caller was saying curbishley had taken them as far as he could as they needed a change...

Look where they are now!!!!!! (...just saying.)

Nelaj Behajiha
20   Posted 18/09/2010 at 12:25:14

My opinions are a such, I agree Everton would struggle to replace him with a better manager. Moyes has no tactical knowledge on the game or understanding with his only tactic being to just hoof the ball up continually and hope we get a goal. I am no tactical expert but even I can see where our problems lie. We have no attacking central midfielder that can shoot, pass get into atatcking positions. The majority of Cahill's goal come from crosses, corners, and set pieces. How many times last week did we just hoof the ball up then the ball would go straight to United's midfielders because we had Arteta, Heitenga, and Felaini playing far too deep United's midfield has so much time on the ball to just pick a pass. Everton are a completely unbalanced side that are defensively minded are incapable of defending.
Charles King
21   Posted 18/09/2010 at 12:05:22

Admire you for putting your balls on the line chris, especially calling the Newcastle result.
Agree with most of the points, the Gosling thing I disagree.

The Moyes split is defined now, either you accept his way and hope, or you look at what he's doing and thing it's hopeless.

My concern is the regime at Everton, the Kenwright /Moyes axis is symbiotic, one protecting the other it presently gives us premiership survival and thats it.
Not enough for me.
If it takes a seismic event to shake things up ie Moyes off to .........( fill in the blanks) so be it.

Incidently its not the fans job to select the next manager, I suspect our board are not up to finding a Wenger (how many had even heard of him before the arse) but the fuckers should be.

Robbie Shields
22   Posted 18/09/2010 at 12:51:10

Great point Charles, someone in Aresenal really knew their stuff when they got Wenger. I'm as dyed in the wool blue as you'll find, but when I coached my sons under 9s team it was Arsenal I told them to be like. If Wenger had our players at his disposal we'd be top 4 no worries, he's a footballing mastermind. I met and spoke to DM in Australia and the guy has a real presence about him, very charming and great to the supporters, signed everyones shirts and a really great guy, but he isn't a tactical genius or a genuine coach, that was left to Round. Moyes has transformed us from relegation fodder to guaranteed top half, no small feat, but he needs to have a mindset change.

Message to Moyes, we are not crap anymore! Go for it, put out your strongest attacking team with your best players in their best positions out from the start at home, with a striker and a center forward. 4-0 the mighty blues.
Terry Hayes
23   Posted 18/09/2010 at 13:29:18

Being an Evertonian is like permanently being on the vinegar stroke!!! Just as you are about to explode some twat drags you off, cheers Moysie.
Declan Brown
24   Posted 18/09/2010 at 13:30:07

I don't get the purpose / timing of this article?

Moyes can drive us mad with frustration at times, but i would blame Kenwright before i would blame Moyes. Moyes is a blue now, you can see how much it / we / Everton means to him, it's in his heart (did last saturdays show of emotion not prove this?).

I think we will win a trophy under him and i for one can't wait to see the smile on his face with the trophy in his hands, he's overdue and deserves it.

I'm not his biggest fan, he is not perfect, but the man has worked miracles with the tools he has been given, lay off him, look how many Manager of the Year titles he has won.

That speaks volumes in my book. I couldn't even think of any instant names to replace him with.
Brian Lawlor
25   Posted 18/09/2010 at 13:37:44

I just don't know what is wrong with some people.
James Stewart
26   Posted 18/09/2010 at 14:42:36

The reason we won't do anything under Moyes can be downsized to one.

He does not learn from his mistakes. Good managers are proactive not reactive to situations. Moyes does not seem to have this in him and he makes the same mistakes time and time again.
Dennis Stevens
27   Posted 18/09/2010 at 15:30:19

I would love to see Moyes & his team bring some silverware back to Goodison, but I'm increasingly doubtful that we will. I think that one of the reasons may be a development in his 8+ years at Everton that has disappointed me & that is the disappearance of the boldness that Moyes initially displayed. The classic example of which is perhaps our capitulation to Sporting Lisbon last season, he seemed to set the team up to defend our narrow lead & so handed the initiative to a team low on confidence & whose own supporters expected to be embarrassed at home, hence the low turn-out on the night.
Tom Bowers
28   Posted 18/09/2010 at 15:51:17

Well said, Chris. Already, we are showing the result of Moyes stubborness today. A first half full of the usual shite with the usual suspects doing nothing as they normally do. Fellaini back to his annoying tricks and Osman non-existent.

Poor closing down and even poorer tackling. Other players including Arteta also playing poorly. Ask youself how bad must the bench be and the reserves if this is the best starting eleven Moyes can pick?

Ryan Rosenberg
29   Posted 18/09/2010 at 15:57:46

Chris, you could not be more right. I've had enough with Moyes. The formation and his love affair with Neville & Osman is excruciating.
Chris Perry
30   Posted 18/09/2010 at 16:47:07

Can't Moyes see the issues after today's inept display?

Neil Humpherey (post 1) ? I bet you feel pretty stupid, don't you? 4 -0! We did not even have 4 shots.
Paul Oakes
31   Posted 18/09/2010 at 16:56:37

You couldn't be more right Chris. Once again another piss poor performance at home.

It's time for a change, it really fucking is. I'd get O'Neill in now or if not, go with Sven.

He has had all pre-season to figure this shit out, and instead he plays very poor teams like Norwich et al.

Moyes has zero excuses this time around, he has been found out, and we really are shite. 5 matches in and 2 points... relegation fight looming me thinks if this does not pick up, then again how can it pick up when we have no fucking strikers who can score?

Time to change it now before it's too late.
Charles King
32   Posted 18/09/2010 at 17:50:51

Well Chris, the Newcastle game's finished and I notice no one's calling you names now.
Joe Brennan
33   Posted 18/09/2010 at 17:55:26

All quiet on the apologist front now then? Shit - Moyes didn't even cross the half way line when he went on to remonstrate with the referee last weekend! Where would we dig up a better manager than Moyes? Anfield, Ford or Yew Tree to name but three!
Tom Bowers
34   Posted 18/09/2010 at 19:43:37

Last season we had some decent excuses for a poor start.This season -none except to say Moyes has nothing else to offer. We start with poor team selection every week with one forward because nobody else in midfield can support quick enough after the long hoof ball is sent up.Also there is virtually no shooting from the midfielders from outside the box.Most chances today went to Osman who was often too slow.The Moyes love affair with Osman borders on obsession.The man is slow,does no tackling and often when in possession just passes 2 yards sideways. He is a major weakness in midfield which Pienarr and Arteta have compensated for far too often in the past but when they play below par as today then we have real problems even against other average teams. The writing is on the wall for Kenright. Is it time to replace Moyes? Only 3 home games in and 2 points and one of them was the miracle of injury time last week. We would now be bottom if not for Stoke getting their equaliser earlier today.
Michael Kenrick
35   Posted 18/09/2010 at 21:34:30

Kevin Roberts (#9): "Moyes is shit; Neville is shit; Osman is shit; Hibbert is shit; Beckford is shit" ? the only thing he didn't say is Everton are shit." On today's dreadful showing, I think you inadvertently scored a OneHundredAndEighty with that synopsis. Well done!
Derek Thomas
36   Posted 18/09/2010 at 22:43:42

Chris, forget post 7, nail and head mate, I take it all back with bells on.
Chris Perry
37   Posted 19/09/2010 at 05:34:25

I got all sorts of criticism after my last post re: "Key reasons why we won't win under Moyes" and got slated. Told I was insane, we would win 4-0... blah, blah, blah.

Well, we lost at home. We have 2 points from a possible 15. Match of the Day proved how shite we were and I won't be making the 500-mile journey for some time. We are going backwards under Moyes!!!

Tommy Coleman
38   Posted 19/09/2010 at 14:08:45

Chris,

Ive got a feeling you wont getting a response.
Matt Boden
39   Posted 19/09/2010 at 17:25:35

Does anyone know where Neil has gone? He has not been seen since his blue tinted kopite-style prediction! I just want to know, judging on our season so far, where he came up with the idea we were going to stuff Newcastle? BUFFON!!