Less than quiet reflection

I was fuming yesterday, absolutely fuming.

The wife says I have far too strong feelings for Everton, something she can't quite get her head around. "How can you get so wound up? You care more about that club more than me and your kids!! Why are you so emotionally attached to that club?"

I suppose it's not too dissimilar questions that most TW readers get.

But when I got home last night, everyone got it, both barrells. I feel really bad this morning, very apologetic and I know it'll cost me a fortune down Toys 'r' us later. I felt betrayed and ashamed yesterday. The wife is right, I do care too much, I have put Everton first on occasions and wrongly.

I have been a staunch Moyes supporter, bur time is starting to run out for me now. His decision to chase a game by taking one striker off at half-time and play Arteta deep just took the piss. We could have played till midnight and not scored, we didn't look like scoring. About half-a-dozen crosses into the box from our wide players. We were playing against Championship defenders at best and it was probably their most comfortable afternoon in the Premier League so far for them. Even Villa gave them a harder time and they still lost 6-0.

4-5-1 is clearly not working, whether it means that Arteta has to back out to the wing to accomodate Cahill and 2 strikers, then so be it just to try and look like scoring again and at least being able to compete and trouble an opposing back 4.

Start earning your money Moyes, or go!
Matt Barry, Cardiff     Posted 19/09/2010 at 09:11:17

Comments

Barry Johnson
1   Posted 19/09/2010 at 16:54:19

The problem now is that unlike the end of last season, other teams won't feel intimidated by our form. When you're on a losing streak it's difficult to get the confidence back.

Personally, I'd like to see players paid only if they win. If they lose, they get zilch and if they draw they get half pay. It's never going to happen but it's a much fairer way than the current system.
Neil Steele
2   Posted 19/09/2010 at 17:05:36

Barry, why should the players be penalised for playing under a retarded manager?

You name me the creative players in that team yesterday??

Pienaar and Arteta...that's it.

Arteta was employed so deep he was virtually in the back 4...so how on earth do we expect anything other than what we got?

Moyes time is up, the sooner he has gone, the better.

People go on about the poor atmosphere at Goodison..is it any fucking wonder?

The football on display is utter dirge, mind-numbingly boring.

4 defeats on the spin and hopefully his position will be untenable. I'd shake hands on that right now
Richard Murray
3   Posted 19/09/2010 at 17:09:27

Fellaini has just got to play in DM. That's the thing which gripes me most, among many gripes, at the moment.
Ryan Holroyd
4   Posted 19/09/2010 at 17:17:29

Neil, do you really think Kenwright will sack Moyes? I very much doubt it. He allowed Walter Smith to way over extend his welcome. The mans got no vision for our club.
Chris Sillett
5   Posted 19/09/2010 at 17:52:12

I really would like to see a change of manager, someone who will bring some freshness into the club, a fresh approach and new ideas as I firmly believe we have gone stale under Moyes and Moyes himself has gone stale.

But, like Ryan says, I do not expect Moyes to leave the club any time soon as Bill Kenwright holds him in too high regard and has not got the courage to hand him his P45.

Dean Adams
6   Posted 19/09/2010 at 18:09:26

Matt

Shame the players don't have the same passion as you seem to show.
As for Toys r Us forget them and go to Smyths in Leckwith!
Iain Love
7   Posted 19/09/2010 at 19:48:04

Away up in Scotland on family business over the weekend so only got the result over my phone. Why oh why does Moyes play those players in those positions??? You just know we wont win when you see that teamsheet??? WE ALL KNOW who should play where why doesn't he???
I won't watch MotD when we lose, how sad is that?
Mike Jones
8   Posted 19/09/2010 at 20:47:36

Matt, it's only a game, nothing to do with your family; they should be your first concern, you are their husband and dad - stop with the giving it both barrels to them and instead be someone they look up to; it's not their fault Everton lost, so why should they have a crap night because of it. If you stop it then you won't need to apologise and feel ashamed. Take your disappointment out on the team and Moyes if you must, but get it into perspective and realise why you got married and had children
David Hodgson
9   Posted 19/09/2010 at 21:22:53

Don't feel bad about letting the wife and kids have it, trust me, them feeling your strop for a few hours is absolutely nowhere near the the utter depression and miserable feeling that swept over us at Goodison Park yesterday after watching that truly turgid display of football that was served up by our overpaid, overhyped bunch of prima donnas. Hope TC is back fit soon, he was seriously missed up top yesterday. Don't know what else to say... shocking.
Rob Hollis
10   Posted 19/09/2010 at 21:41:09

Mike Jones
The only reason to be married and have children is as a substitute for kicking the dog, which is cruel and totally unacceptable.
Mike Jones
11   Posted 19/09/2010 at 21:48:37

Rob Hollis #10, after some thought, i'll take that as a joke, the worry is some won't
David Hodgson
12   Posted 19/09/2010 at 21:57:18

Mike, calm down, mate; I think letting the wife and kids have it etc etc is all a bit tongue in cheek! By the way, if there's ever been a derby six pointer for all the wrong reasons, it's the one coming up soon, eh!
Jamie Barlow
13   Posted 19/09/2010 at 22:45:02

My Missus thinks i've got tourette's after Saturday.
Mike Jones
14   Posted 19/09/2010 at 22:18:48

David #12, I am calm, but lets leave people, who aren't to blame and have no ability to reply objectively, out of it. Hopefully Matt will confirm your thought that his observations were tongue in cheek.

On the football front, I have been impressed with our approach play this season; the end product has been lacking, particularly yesterday (as was all of our play, to be honest) but generally what I have seen in the last two years is better than some football I have watched at Goodison since my first time in 1977 (except October '84 - May '85). We won't win the League, twice since 1970 bears that out.

Big city, big team, big fanbase (but generally a public that is poorer than the National norm) that wants success, but there is no money**. I don't know the answer (** ok, I do), I have nothing against Moyes. I'm not clever enough to find a Kenwright/Moyes link to our failures. Same as I couldn't find a link between Bingham, Lee, Harvey, Kendall (Mk II and III) Walker, Royle and Smith and their respective Chairman, and our failures. Chelsea will win the league, everything else is second (or worse!).

Matthew Lovekin
15   Posted 20/09/2010 at 08:17:48

Matt, couldn't have put it better myself - on both fronts - family and football, agree with it all.
Matt Barry
16   Posted 20/09/2010 at 09:53:18

It was a little tongue in cheek about the both barrells, but it was all down to shear frustration and they knew it was. Again it's all down to passion for Everton, however misguided it sometimes is. Although when we beat the Mancs at Wembley they have seen how good it can be to support the Blues.

Ready for Brentford now, please play 2 up front David. Please!!!!!