The Case for Joey Barton

If Saturday's performance demonstrated one thing to me, it was the fact that you can have all the skill and artistry of a Mikel Areta or Steven Pienaar as you like... yet, when it comes to guile and determination, Joey Barton was streets ahead.

Barton is quite rightly reviled for his off-the-field antics and his familial association with one of the darkest chapters in recent Merseyside history. He may have served time, assaulted more team-mates than one cares to mention, and seemingly possesses the charm of a serial rapist; however, on the evidence to date, when he plays Everton, we very rarely get the better of him.

Compare Barton's performance to that of John Heitinga who demonstrated all of the attributes of a bad "Rright, said Fred" impersonator, chest pumped out, macho approach, pumping fists to the crowd... yet completely inneffective.

David Moyes has stated that the team need to toughen up, yet, without the leadership qualities of a Lee Carsley or Alan Stubbs as in previous poor starts to a campaign, it's hard to identify who will pick up the mantle and rally the troops.

For all his personal failings, Joey Barton proved one thing on Saturday through his attitude and workrate: he wanted it more than any of our players. A quality that sadly seems to be missing these days amongst the fancy dans within our ranks.
Peter Laing, Liverpool     Posted 20/09/2010 at 13:17:53

Comments

Alex Gibney
1   Posted 20/09/2010 at 16:20:05

Barton had one good game against a very lacklustre Everton. Lets see how he does for the rest of the season. No thanks would never want him nor do we need him.
Daniel Johnson
2   Posted 20/09/2010 at 16:18:33

I do agree ,

BUT

fellaini is a much better box to box agressive defensive midfielder but he is being messed about all over the shop by the way Moyes uses him.

I had a lot of respect for Fellaine on Saturday he was one of teh players that gave a fuck and tried but at time she just looked confused as Moyes was pulling him all over the shop.

Fellaini is being used up front too much because of our lack of firepower and te fact that his height causes problems.

If we had Barton in teh team hed be second striker or left back knowing Moyes.
Daniel Johnson
3   Posted 20/09/2010 at 16:21:46

At times our midfield does look lightweight, Pienaar, osman and Arteta.

I bet Wolves and Blackburn were rubbing their hands.
Chris Keightley
4   Posted 20/09/2010 at 16:29:14

He is surely a Dog of War type player ? are you saying we need to revert to that type of football again?? This is the last player I'd want to see at Goodison Park ? real Scum... with a capital S.
Simon Birkett
5   Posted 20/09/2010 at 16:35:06

How many of our players actually took a man on and beat them? I actually think against Newcastle the most successful dribblers were probably Jags and Distin with about two each. Ben Arfa on one run took about four of ours on at once, we need people who can retain possession and advance with the ball, passing is great but our off-the-ball runs were also poor.

Only difference between our pre-season and Premier League team is probably Gueye on the left actually attacking opposition full backs which we are severely lacking, and Turner in goal who was very precise with his distribution.
Andrew Ellams
6   Posted 20/09/2010 at 17:01:08

The case for Joey Barton usually charges about £200 an hour
Charles King
7   Posted 20/09/2010 at 17:17:05

Yes Peter I can see your thinking, also after seeing his interview about his rehab, I'd give him a chance, similarly I listened to Ian Wright talking alongside Jermaine Defoe on the weekend about the art of of being a striker. amazingly given his media personna really insightful stuff. moyes should be inviting him to talk to our young strikers.
Jon Cox
8   Posted 20/09/2010 at 18:27:38

Andrew (6), Yeah well it's Moyes in the fuckin' dock now isn't it.....Ironically speaking.
Joseph Strumm
9   Posted 20/09/2010 at 18:24:01

You're spot on, Fellaini was the only one getting stuck in, the rest of the midfield couldn't force the issue at a girl guides meeting. Heitinga is an overrated liability.

I agree with you about Barton's attributes but he just has too much baggage, could you really see him and Moyes seeing eye to eye... cigar to eye maybe.

We are far too easily bullied and I think liable to crumble when the going gets tough, especially away from home and especially in Europe when I've witnessed far too many times heads going down and the usual suspects hiding.

Flog "I'd like to play for a bigger club" Heitinga and use the money to try and balance the team!

Jeremy Benson
10   Posted 20/09/2010 at 19:13:50

I have been an everton fan for 32 years. However, if Joey Barton, or Craig Bellamy, were signed - I could not bring myself to follow the blues until they had left.

Some things are more important. We are better than that.
Andy Crooks
11   Posted 20/09/2010 at 19:28:54

Jeremy, I wouldn't have Barton as I don't rate him that highly. However, people can change and it seems to me he has tried. The way he took that kicking from Wolves earned him some respect from me.
Jeremy Benson
12   Posted 20/09/2010 at 20:20:53

Andy,

That may be the case. I wouldn't want him to date my daughter, or play for everton, though.
Roy Coyne
13   Posted 21/09/2010 at 02:29:00

I really dont want Barton at any price he is a disgrace to merseyside nevermind football