Beckford's chance to shine

Sorry if this has been covered before...

After reading the article "Beckford's Chance to Shine" where it suggests that banging in a couple of goals against Brentford could be the kick start his Everton career needs, a thought came back into my head which had been bugging me for a while.

Why oh why did Heitinga take the second penalty against Huddersfield? It actually really pissed me off and I think it may be an indication as to the size of his ego ? which had taken a knock having scored an own goal.

For the good of the team - yes the team - not Johnny's ego... would it not have been better for Beckford to notch his second goal for the club? All strikers need to have confidence, and having two goals next to his name rather than one would surely have given him an extra boost.

Perhaps I'm just being grumpy because we're playing so shite!
Jamie Sweet, Nelson, New Zealand     Posted 21/09/2010 at 02:36:43

Comments

Norman Merrill
1   Posted 21/09/2010 at 07:28:17

Jamie, I would like to think that Moyes will stick with Beckford for tonights game at Brentford, also in my paper this morning there is talk of Ross Barkley making the squad. At 16, he is another young hope, and at 6' 2" at least he has height. He was in the squad on Saturday, but spent all the time warming up.

We need a win tonight, as this could be Moyes's Oxford?

Chris Perry
2   Posted 21/09/2010 at 08:10:53

Beckford is pants! Why, why why can't people see that?
Brian Noble
3   Posted 21/09/2010 at 08:30:35

No doubt the lad will come on after 70 mins,appear on the bench intermitently till he`s about 20 and then be let go.We`ve had more than a few of these but then` Moyes is so good at developing youg playera`!
Shaun Brennan
4   Posted 21/09/2010 at 08:28:46

I'm hoping Moues will be playing Beckford tonight and in all seriousness I certainly hope he won't be playing with one striker. Playing as a lone striker is just going to kill off any confidence Beckford has left in him.

As for Johnny I don't think he is quite the hard man we all thought he was and there was no way he should have taken the pen against Huddersfield. But n the day of that game, interview in the liverpool echo said he was determined to score this year. So maybe he'll be taking a few more pens?
Sam Hoare
5   Posted 21/09/2010 at 08:56:15

Surely Beckford and Yakubu have to start tonight and Johnny plays CB if anywhere.

And if Osman is in the right mid slot then i think Moyes will have to be certified as the most stubborn man on the planet...Gueye, Coleman or maybe Billy please.
Andrew Fair
6   Posted 21/09/2010 at 10:00:12

Brian. Moyes is pretty good at judging young talent and in fairness developing them. I cannot think of any players Moyes has released who have gone on to better things and proved him wrong.
Trevor Lynes
7   Posted 21/09/2010 at 10:13:58

I agree with Brian...we do tend to let youngsters go for free and then BUY them back when other clubs have polished them up eg; Baines and Jags !!
Norman Merrill
8   Posted 21/09/2010 at 10:13:01

Just been listening to Steve Round on Merseyside, and the one up front, is the future for Everton, as he and Moyes have come to that conclusion.
Afzan Yusuf
9   Posted 21/09/2010 at 09:54:39

Sam#4 - Agree with you. DM will be the most stubborn man if he plays Osman again.
Daniel Hutchinson
10   Posted 21/09/2010 at 12:00:35

I think we should play:

Howard
Baines - Jags - Heitinga - Hibbert
Fellaini
Pienaar - Arteta - Coleman
Yakubu - Beckford

For tonight's game, let's really go for it, the Yak and Becks may make a brilliant partnership, it is worth a try.

Plus with Seamus out on the right, we can really see if he is capable of being a more attacking player, and finally solve our problem on the right.

However Bily and Gueye need a chance too so if either of them played instead then Coleman can slot in to right back instead of Tony. Bily had a decent pre season, especially in the match I went to watch at Norwich and so he deserves a proper chance too.
Ian McDowell
11   Posted 21/09/2010 at 12:33:20

I don't think there is any problem with one up front , most successful teams now use it but you need fast wide players able to get up and support him, which we don't have.
Aidy Dews
12   Posted 21/09/2010 at 12:42:27

I'd like us to go for it and play 4-4-2, go with Yak and Beckford upfront. I'd also drop Heitinga in to CB alongside Jags and I'd go with either Bily or Gueye on the wing instead of Osman.

No doubt Neville will start at RB but I'm not too bothered about that, I just want to see a change in impetus from us, a change in formation and a new direction from the team cos Saturday's performance was as flat as it gets!.

I'd like to see all the young 'uns on the bench tonight or one or two of 'em starting, the likes of Baxter, Gueye, Barkley and Silva, give 'em a start or plenty of minutes second half, why not, surely they won't or can't play any worse than the 11 who started and finished the game Saturday?!
Tony J Williams
13   Posted 21/09/2010 at 13:38:48

All the 4-4-2 will do is detract one player from our powderpuff midfield.

There will be a few changes here, I expect Gueye to play... and Seamus.
Franny Porter
14   Posted 21/09/2010 at 14:05:38

Distin will play centre half, Feillani will be playing somewhere between up front and the hole, Neville will be right back, and Osman will be right mid. When has Moyes ever ever shown any balls when it comes to tactical changes? The last time he changed formation, he went from 4-5-1 to 4-6-0.
Chris Perry
15   Posted 21/09/2010 at 14:11:55

I am confident in saying that tonight everyone will see just how poor Beckford is. Unless it is a penalty, I can guarantee he will not score.
Tony Rice
16   Posted 21/09/2010 at 14:47:10

Beckford is awful! He does not seem to put much effort in... Doesn't run hard / jump for balls in the air etc. Lazy! Worthwhile experiment (on a free) but a failed one...

With such limited attacking options we are going to struggle !

Tony J Williams
17   Posted 21/09/2010 at 15:25:18

Tony, how can you judge him on the shite that has been put before him? I cannot remember seeing one decent pass to him to actually get a chance to run on goal and have a crack.

Midfield's fault in not doing their job, compounded by the fact that we can't defend anymore.
Aidy Dews
18   Posted 21/09/2010 at 17:17:57

Couldnt agree more Tony, he's had no service what so ever, he's not been put through on goal or had no crosses put in for him to contest in any of the games he's been involved in!.

The midfield give him nothing but yet, when things arent going right for us, Moyes brings him off!. I wanted Moyes to pair Beckford with Yak at half time last week and change the system and the team come out with a different imputes but he went like for like, just like he did versus Villa.

Beckford can finish and he's got the movement and pace to get himself into good areas and positions but he doesnt get picked out or played in, well he hasnt so far in the games he's played, so i cant understand the criticism really.

Fair enough if he got the chances and he was fluffing 3 or 4 a game very badly but he's had nothing, not even the chance to fluff a chance, let alone score!. Give the lad a break FFS, blame whats bheind him for creating jack shit.
Aidy Dews
19   Posted 21/09/2010 at 17:25:48

I agree with Tony J Williams 17* btw.
Sam Hoare
20   Posted 21/09/2010 at 19:24:32

One final moan before EFC go on a 15-match winning streak.I think it's blatently obvious to every Everton fan that certain squad deficiencies have not been dealt with in the transfer dealings of the last few years. This Summer, and Beckford arriving, was particularly underwhelming.

I realise that money doesn't grow on trees but looking around at a few of our Premier League rivals I can't help but feel that surely some bargains were missed. Why were these problems not addressed? Pace, guile and striking options are clearly rare commodoties in our team and with that in mind:

Hatem Ben Arfa ? Not pursuing this man on loan now looks particularly silly. Pace, guile and a great left foot it appears.

Jermaine Pennant ?- Not an obvious choice. But looked great for Stoke on the weekend. We could sorely use his pace and crossing from the right wing.

Peter Odemwingie ? Admittedly more expensive at £2.5M... but a skillfull, quick forward capable of playing on the wing.

Victor Obinna ? Loan man has pace, champ league experience and good touch. We wanted him in 2009 but strangely not this year.

Tom Cleverly and Danny Welbeck ? Young eager players with pace and creativity.

Nedum Onuoha ? Not in problem position perhaps, but rapid defender to play across back 4.

Now only one of these players actually cost any transfer fee (not including loan payments). Who knows if any of them will turn out to have good seasons? I would just feel better if Moyes had at least tried to address our problems... Perhaps Gueye will turn out to be an answer. In which case... play him!

Any I've missed??

Jimmy Hacking
21   Posted 21/09/2010 at 20:28:13

Surprised Beckford didnt start. got a feeling he'll come off the bench and have a good go, hopefully our goal-lead (thanks to our saviour!) will give us a bit of confidence (hmmm).

come on son

Sam Hoare
22   Posted 21/09/2010 at 23:04:49

Lazy editing to put my submission in here and add on a comment i never made about Beckford to make it look vaguely topical.

Tut tut.