Members:   Log In Sign Up

This Week's Clarion Call

According to the Daily Mail, our captain has issued yet another exhortation ... this time to the fans. It goes aloong the lines of, "Blame the players for our current predicament, not the Chairman."

Although I can't say I've heard very many blaming Kenwright - or perhaps this criticism has got lost amidst the avalanche of anti-Moyes stuff - but I find myself quite comfortable / intensely relaxed in blaming players, Chairman and Manager.

And increasingly tired of Neville's weekly pearls of wisdom.
Mike McLean, Cheshire     Posted 27/09/2010 at 06:52:38

Comments

Paul Olsen
1   Posted 27/09/2010 at 07:36:37

I can't even begin to imagine why he would say such a thing....

How about letting your game do the talking for once Phil?
Tony Graham
2   Posted 27/09/2010 at 07:50:45

If he was leading us, with his skill and superior ability every week, I would listen... but he ain't, so I can't.
Alan Clarke
3   Posted 27/09/2010 at 07:53:57

What about Moyes saying it's going to take a while to get out of the relegation zone? WTF? So that's that for the season then Moyes, is it? In 8 years in charge you've turned us from relegation candidates into ....., that's right, fucking relegation candidates.

Even if this ginger bastard keeps us up, it is blatantly obvious now we are heading absolutely nowhere under him. Even his most loyal supporter must realise this now?
Gavin Ramejkis
4   Posted 27/09/2010 at 08:16:41

You couldn't blame Kenwright even if you wanted to, the bastard is doing his usual "rabbit down the hole" trick whilst it's going Pete Tong...
Daniel Johnson
5   Posted 27/09/2010 at 09:15:19

Deja-vu.....................

No new Players
Bad Start
Players out of position
Loyalty to The Moyes guard (Osman, Hibbert, Neville)
Moyes in a huff
Crisis team meetings
Weekly soundbites from Ole Captain Hoof

It aint nothing but predictable.
Alan Clarke
6   Posted 27/09/2010 at 09:22:49

Daniel - spot on. This will be followed by an upturn in form around Christmas and an end of season that will see us finish 11th. We'll beat Chelsea on the last day of the season which will lead to false optimism in the closed season and fans saying, Moyes will learn his lessons and if we get off to a flyer next season, we can finish 4th. Then it will be:

No new players
Bad start
Players out of position
Loyalty to The Moyes guard (osman, Hibbert, Neville)
Moyes in a huff
Crisis team meetings
Weekly soundbites from Ole Captain Hoof

I can't see myself renewing my season ticket next year if this cycle just keeps repeating itself.
Jamie Sweet
7   Posted 27/09/2010 at 09:27:59

Daniel, you're so right and that's what makes it so incredibly frustrating. It's like a recurring nightmare.

I said from the start this was a make or break season for us. Looks like it's well and truly broken at the moment and I'm not sure Moyes has the imagination, tactical ability or financial backing to fix it this time.
James I'Anson
8   Posted 27/09/2010 at 09:56:24

I haven't heard anyone blaming the chairman either Mike.
Except from me, and a few people on Toffeeweb.

Hardly the basis of a mass protest though is it.

And yes we are bottom.
Allan Barratt
9   Posted 27/09/2010 at 10:06:49

I look forward now to Phil's weekly comments!!
It's becoming a weekly office joke!! Trying to guess what shite he's going to come out with each week!!
Everyone should play along......
Jamie Morgan
10   Posted 27/09/2010 at 10:28:34

Allan, I play the same game. My mate and I reckon that he has come out with "that was a kick up the backside we needed" about 3 times since the summer!
Anthony Hughes
11   Posted 27/09/2010 at 10:34:36

Any more kicks up the backside and they'll be needing arse transplants.
Erik Dols
12   Posted 27/09/2010 at 10:49:57

Neville's statements are just like a new signing!
Jimmy Hacking
13   Posted 27/09/2010 at 11:18:19

I was angry when Phil Neville joined our club.

I was bloody furious when he waltzed into the club captaincy...

Now I am livid. I'm sure some tit will remind me what an excellent sportsman he is etc. etc. hospital visits etc. and that's all well and good but the fact is he is a fucking atrocious player with the intelligence of a breezeblock and less common sense.

If I wish to blame the players AND the manager AND the chairman AND the toffee-lady for our dreadful start to the season, then I will, thanks "Pip".
Tony J Williams
14   Posted 27/09/2010 at 11:19:48

Not going to defend the indefensible, but what do you want him to say in his weekly bullshit blogs?

Tell the truth? that would be a first. Blame the players? I fecken wish he would, name and shame or maybe their delicate little egos couldn't take it.

Alan, why are we relegation candidates? Has anyone (apart from the moaning minnies on here) even suggested that we would be up for the chop? No they haven't. There were even a few deluded pundits tipping us for pushing at the 4th spot.

It takes more than 6 games to make you relegation candidates seeing as there are 32 more games to play to get the safe number of points... and that should be the very least we should be doing anyway. If we are still bottom at Christmas, yes I will agree there is a battle but with only a handful of games gone to talk about relegation now is, to put it politely, fecken stupid.
Dennis Stevens
15   Posted 27/09/2010 at 11:34:20

I can only assume the reason for Neville to 'defend' Kenwright in this way is in order to draw our Chairman into the firing line & so deflect some of the criticism of Moyes, who is the prime target of any criticism for our current plight, & quite rightly so.
Tony J Williams
16   Posted 27/09/2010 at 11:49:01

I actually think the prime candidates for our plight are Arteta, Pienaar and of late Yakubu.

Our midfield is not feeding the forwards and the forwards are not scoring.... add that to our leaky defence and it is not good news
Ken Williams
17   Posted 27/09/2010 at 12:03:54

# Tony J Williams - We are relegation candidates because we are bottom of the league and until we manage to climb out of the bottom three we will ramain relegation candidates. I for one can't understand why we are struggling, the only real poor performance has been against Newcastle, only our obvious failure to put the ball in the net has stopped us from picking up points.
Nelaj Behajiha
18   Posted 27/09/2010 at 12:05:30

He's is a total idiot. His comments offer nothing of interest or even any sense. His comments such as "the players want to start the season well" ah and I thought the players like to start the season with a 6 1 defeat at home, thanks Phil for those wise words, as if every football fan doesn't know that a good start is key. His continual spouting in the Echo is ridiculous ? does anyone want to read it?
Tony J Williams
19   Posted 27/09/2010 at 12:26:14

Ken, I get what you are saying but the season is 38 games long and to talk about being candidates at this stage is just daft. If the season was finishing in 5 games, ok we would be candidates.

The way the table is now, you could say that every team is a candidate for relegation, as there are 96 points to still play for, and in that sense we are all candidates to become League Champions also, as we are only 12 points behind the leaders which 96 to play for.

The point is, is that we invariably have our shite start and the usual suspects go on about relegation woes, and we all know that we will produce a passage of games where we will move up the table. We always do, even though it seems to be getting later and later each year.
Norman Merrill
20   Posted 27/09/2010 at 12:04:41

Our next two fixtures, will really test our resolve: Birmingham away are unbeaten for 12 months at St Andrews... and I don't have to mention the next team to visit Goodison on Oct 17th.

All the talk in the world, by players does not bring victories, good team selection, hard work, and commitment, by players and management, will go a long way to get us out of this mess.
I am sure all you Blues out there are sick of that well worn saying made by tv pundits and press, "They're too good to go down," ? We wont go down, but let's start showing the form that we know we are capable of.

Dennis Stevens
21   Posted 27/09/2010 at 12:40:20

Tony, the players & the Board are certainly also culpable, but ultimately Moyes is the man employed by the Board to make it all work & he is failing. Moyes is the man the supporters expect to be able to get the best out of the squad he has assembled & he is failing. That is why it's quite appropriate theat Moyes is the prime target for any criticism of late. Ultimately Moyes is the man most likely to pay the price for failure, unless he can once again turn things 'round, such is the nature of football management.
Tony J Williams
22   Posted 27/09/2010 at 13:10:19

Dennis, you are correct. the buck stops with Moyes but the problem he has is that if his main players aren't producing the goods he has no-one else to turn to because let's face it our fringe players are, well let's be honest, quite shite.

Yes, Moyes is failing to get the best out of his players but when that goes pear-shaped, his other players bests are not as good as his flailing "stars".
Michael Coffey
23   Posted 27/09/2010 at 13:06:24

I have to take issue with Tony Williams (16) re Pienaar. He ran his socks off Saturday, and with Coleman was the only one on the pitch who looked capable of creating anything resembling a goal.

He always gives the impression of being quick to moan about his colleague's shortcomings on the pitch, but after seeing him carry virtually single-handed an ineffective, ponderous and unamaginative performance from the lot of them at Fulham, I don't blame him for wanting out.

Mike Rourke
24   Posted 27/09/2010 at 12:55:47

Nev's Patented Rallying Cries! They always get me going anyway. When I say 'going', I mean thinking just how wasted Phil Neville is at EFC.

I find myself wondering what a shame it is that he wasn't born a 1000 or so years ago, I'm sure someone like Ghengis Khan would've loved to have had a Quasimodo-style yes man to rev the troops up prior to battle. It was so black and white back in them days.

Victory and ol' Ghengis could wheel Nev out again and again confident that his words were making the difference.

Defeat, and Captain Pip would have to perish via the old 'axe in the face' technique, and no-one would have had to listen to his shite ever again.

Yep, nothing like hearing the words of Phil Neville to have me wishing that footy was more like medieval warfare...
Dennis Stevens
25   Posted 27/09/2010 at 13:37:05

Indeed Tony, Moyes can only work with the squad he's assembled & it perplexes me why some players are seemingly too good to be dropped.

For example: Arteta is clearly a far better footballer than Osman, but he has been pants lately & perhaps Osman could be brought in off the wing, which we all know is not his position, to play a more central role where he has been known to have a decent game ? who knows the break might do Arteta some good.

However, I'm not one to pick Moyes's team for him, he is in a far better position to do so, but I do feel he needs to be a bit more dynamic ? even our best players should only retain their automatic 1st XI status whilst they consistently merit it, imho.

Tony J Williams
26   Posted 27/09/2010 at 13:45:30

Michael, it's all well and good running about and looking busy but has he created a goal this season? Has he scored?

I could run about for a bit too (well used to be able to) but that means nothing unless you actually have an end product.

Usual story is, he gets the ball and a) Looks for a 1-2 or a pass to the overlapping Baines; b) Tries to come inside and either i) loses the ball or ii) tries to draw a foul for Arteta to twat the ball into the wall.

Good player but is overated by many here and definitely by himself.
James Marshall
27   Posted 27/09/2010 at 14:43:16

The stats aren't too bad, we just can't put the ball in the net and that's about the beginning and end of it.

I'm actually oddly amused by the whole thing about us being bottom.
Not sure why... but I am! Maybe I enjoy the underdog thing and us being bottom is now a matter of pride. Onward & upward.
David Denby
28   Posted 27/09/2010 at 15:23:31

There's a bit in today's Express in which Neville reveals that after his first few games for us (a 6-game losing streak) he asked Osman if he reckoned we'd go down. Apparently Osman responded by stating that we wouldn't as we always start slow and the team spirit would shine through soon and we'd be ok. FFS!!!

If even the players are acknowledging that they always start slow, why are they not doing anything about it? My opinion on Moyes goes from one extreme to the other most weeks but it seems that both the manager and the players just accept that we will have a poor start. Oh well that's alright then, as long as we know we're going to be shite in the first few months!!!

It's like saying, well we're not scoring but at least we're making the chances! Possession, 20 pass moves etc mean naff all if you don't score at the end of it. In all the years that Moyes has been there, I just wonder how much time is spent on finishing in training?

I am also getting totally fucked off with Neville. Will he just learn to shut up until he puts a performance in. I honestly feel like ramming a copy of the Echo down his throat. It's like watching a piss-poor impression of the scene in Life of Brian, "it's time for action, not words Reg! It's no use us just sitting round here talking about it"

The twat.

Dominic Bobadilla
29   Posted 27/09/2010 at 15:54:39

This is all a public relations ploy, intended to deflect criticism.
Dominic Bobadilla
30   Posted 27/09/2010 at 15:54:39

This is all a public relations ploy, intended to deflect criticism.
Jon Cox
31   Posted 27/09/2010 at 17:22:57

Well, just prior to the start of the season and being swept along with ohters on a tide of euphoria, I thought we may just have the squad and penache to reach the dizzy heights of the top four.

I now ashamedly hold up my hand and admit I was totaly fooled. Itcould be just a case of the heart ruling the head. I now have sadly, a differnt view.

Fickle, you bet! The upside though (if there is one) is that I have become much sharper in the way I think about tactics and the team setup.

I'm not one of those who's thoughts are on the relegation battle as i'm usually a glass half full sort of a bloke, but we need to start moving by at least midway to the end of October to have any chance of rescue.

I wonder whether Thunderbird 5 is still up there and will here our mayday?
Ciarán McGlone
32   Posted 27/09/2010 at 20:00:06

Mr Hacking No.13.

Spot on brother...I've been livid about this talentless mouthpiece for a long time...

The fact that this cricket player gets a starting place in our team because he's our captain... makes me fucking sick.
Roy Coyne
33   Posted 28/09/2010 at 00:10:20

Every time captain Pip speaks my first thought are his gates (on his house) and I Just lose the will to live. I'm sure he means well but he needs to help on the pitch, ie, actually pass the ball or, dare I say, have a shot on target.