Expectation, Distin Style...

I have just read Sylvain Distin on the icliverpool site and almost cried with laughter and despair at the same time.

He says 'We were disappointed with The Carling Cup but there is only so much you can do.'

No, Sylvain there is more. You can win! It is not like we lost to Barcelona on penalties after a valiant away leg is it? How much does he get paid for that attitude? The defeat was clearly not the fault of the team. Take a walk along with your boss.
Rob Hollis, Holmfirth     Posted 27/09/2010 at 23:10:00

Comments

Chris Walsh
1   Posted 28/09/2010 at 03:44:37

Ha. Is it just me who feels sick whenever he's anywhere near the ball?
Charlie Percival
2   Posted 28/09/2010 at 04:43:38

Mr Kenwright/ToffeeWeb admin, please can you post an archive of the mail bag when we signed Distin and people were saying hes better than Lescott etc and at £6mill we have made a big profit. Thank You
Peter Bourke
3   Posted 28/09/2010 at 06:39:30

@1 Chris.
I don't feel sick when Distin's on the ball, i feel sick when Jags is on the ball. When Jags is on the ball only one of two things will happen...1. He Hoofs it as per usual or 2. He has a howler and gives it to an opposition defender who is free on goal.
Anthony Hughes
4   Posted 28/09/2010 at 07:45:25

French Prick, "only so much you can do" Maybe there's only so much we should pay you then.
Rob Wilkinson
5   Posted 28/09/2010 at 08:04:16

@3 Peter.
You are plain wrong. Against Newcastle it was like Distin was our bloody playmaker everything was going through him and he was spraying shit balls left right and centre.

It's time to make a choice sell him in January at a loss or sacrifice him on the pitch 4 christmas!
Kevin Roberts
6   Posted 28/09/2010 at 08:21:36

Distin is sh*t, Hibbert is sh*t, Osman is sh*t, Moyes is sh*t same old same old. Don't think there is much more to say.
Kevin Roberts
7   Posted 28/09/2010 at 08:25:43

Oh I forgot Coleman & Donavan are going to say us.
Kevin Roberts
8   Posted 28/09/2010 at 08:26:16

Apologies should be save us. Frustration prevails...............
Ray Robinson
9   Posted 28/09/2010 at 09:22:11

Well, if your team can't stick the ball in the opposition net consistently, "there is only so much you can do" - get a 0-0 draw at best.
Sam Hoare
10   Posted 28/09/2010 at 09:51:50

Can people stop over reacting to everything please. Distin may not be world class but, barring Man U has been decent this season.

I might add that our defense has let in 7 goals (3 against man u). That's comfortably in the top half. Whereas our attack has only scored 4 goals. That's comfortably in the relgation zone.

Its clear where our deficiencies lie this season, so lets not just slag the whole team off irrespective. Its not helpful.
John Barnes
11   Posted 28/09/2010 at 10:45:38

Rob,
So you'd rather have Jagielka on the ball? He cant pass wind.
Ian Kearney
12   Posted 28/09/2010 at 10:53:22

Last seasons best centre half by a mile is either on the bench or in midfield, and dont give me the height crap, its a negative, pathetic excuse for having another yard dog in the team, last season Jonny formed arguably our most solid pairing alongside Lucas Niell, hardly a basketball player!
Peter Bourke
13   Posted 28/09/2010 at 11:00:08

Sorry Rob, but i am not wrong. You only have to open your eyes to see that Jags is the biggest hoof merchant in the EPL. And i have lost count as to how many times he has given the ball away to the opposition in terrible position. If you want to get rid of Distin ok, though i dont agree he is as bad as everyone is saying but dont make a goose of yourself and deny the facts about Jags.
Rob Hollis
14   Posted 28/09/2010 at 11:03:39

John

It is nothing to do with his playing, I think he is OK. It is the attitude regarding being dumped out of a cup by a pub team.

Not acceptable.
John Barnes
15   Posted 28/09/2010 at 11:53:57

Rob Hollis,

I was referring to Rob # 5 and Peter # 3. and generally just don't get why so many think Jagielka is any good.
Agree with you re Distin's attitude. Perhaps he's repeating dressing room talk. Sadly tho, a few pub teams ( B'burn Wolves, B'tford) have done for us so far this season so maybe our team arent up to finding a solution.
Chris Walsh
16   Posted 28/09/2010 at 13:14:19

@3 Peter, yeah Jags may be a little incompetent on the ball but he can read the game and get his foot in pretty fuckin good. Isn't that primarily what we want our centre backs to be doing?

When it's Jags one-on-one with someone, I feel pretty confident that he'll win the ball but when it's Distin, I feel sick!

Also you mention Jags' one-off howler.. what about Distin's three against United that led to 3 goals being conceded and his countless other howlers? Like not putting his foot through a back pass and waiting till the player was in our area to bring him down etc.

He seems like a grade a bellend as well after that remark.
Tony J Williams
17   Posted 28/09/2010 at 13:58:36

Chris, I am with you. defenders defend and the midfield should show immediately to take the ball from them to save the hoof upfield.

It's quite ironic though how a lot of people are quick to jump to Jags defence (pun intended) but yet when the same argument is used for Hibbert it doesn't hold the same weight.
Chris Walsh
18   Posted 28/09/2010 at 14:10:37

I can't believe how much shite Hibbo gets. He's a good defender and probably the best tackler at the club. Whips in a mean ball too these days...
Paul Gladwell
19   Posted 28/09/2010 at 14:18:34

What I choked on my tea about when reading the same article was the first sentence by the Echo scribes `after another impressive display` !!!
This was aimed at a team who had previously been dumped out of a competition by a team I actually don't know what league they are in.
Paul Gladwell
20   Posted 28/09/2010 at 14:21:46

Sam Hoare, if you don't concede you don't lose.
We lost against Villa,Blackburn and drew against Wolves and Utd and every single goal was blatant bad defending of the highest order.
Our defence managed a clean sheet for once on Saturday against a team with their whole strikeforce out.
This shite start is down to the lot of them and the manager.
James Marshall
21   Posted 28/09/2010 at 14:25:59

We have been impressive this season - on the whole our performances have been good, apart from the fact that Yakubu and the rest of them couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo.

We should sign Brett Angell.
Anthony Hughes
22   Posted 28/09/2010 at 14:29:40

David Nugent might have done a job for us, at least he's had Prem. experience.
Anthony Hughes
23   Posted 28/09/2010 at 14:32:53

We have played decent football in patches aside from poor defending and being hopeless in front of goal, but to say we've been impressive this season is stretching it somewhat, as they say the league table doesn't lie, we are the only team in the Premier League yet to win a game.
Paul Gladwell
24   Posted 28/09/2010 at 14:30:57

James, impressive teams don't stand at he bottom of the table. Howard's fuck up at Blackburn; Fellaini's at Villa; Heitinga against Wolves; Distin's 90 mins against Utd; Arteta's version of a crab and all this without the Brentford debacle.... We may have had all pretty neat crab like possession but it has just been powder-puff and most teams are onto it too.

Let them have the ball ? they don't hurt you ? and then we will have a fast direct break and score.

Yes we will turn it around, but the damage has been done already.

James Marshall
25   Posted 28/09/2010 at 14:43:48

Impressive in that we've played well, save for a few individual errors as you say but on the whole performances have been good. Results have been bad.

We've only conceded 7, and 3 of those were against Utd. 4 scored tells its own story.
Rob Hollis
26   Posted 28/09/2010 at 15:20:31

James

We have frequently looked quite 'nice' but we have hardly been jumping out of our seats with a series of near misses have we?

All a bit toothless so far and I can't see the strikers have had much chance or support.
Tony J Williams
27   Posted 28/09/2010 at 15:22:42

"Let them have the ball ? they don't hurt you ? and then we will have a fast direct break and score" This is the truest and most worrying summary of our season to date.
Gaute Lie
28   Posted 28/09/2010 at 16:00:44

Heitinga in for Distin. It's obvious, everyone knows. Except for the gaffer, that is. Size matters in Mr Moyes's point of view.

Osman had one good season for Everton, scoring some nice goals. But he' s too lighweight and generally lacks speed to compensate. I would not play him in the first 11. I would rather have Bily on either of the sides, or Coleman, perhaps.

What I don't understand is the massive critizism Hibbert is given. Year after year. I agree he's not a top-shelf player. But then, who is? Hibbert is reasonably fast, good pace and an excellent tackler and defender. Ok, he has lacks, bad crosses, no goals. But he gives his best, and his job is mostly in defending.

Our lack in the game is not really in the defense department. So even if we don't care too much about Distin, and want him on the bench (at best) our real problems are more in the midfield and forward section. The inability to score goals.

We have't been overrun by any teams. Really. We have not. We had possession and most of the games (except ManU) we've been the better team. Except for the scoring bit, though.

How to fix? Hire a special coach, responsible for attacking moves and attacking abilities. Clearly Moyes has no clue when it comes to attacking, but he's good in many other ways. I don't want to get rid of Moyes.
And maybe we need some cash for new goalgetter? But I would think a man with a special responsibility for our attack would do?
Jon Cox
29   Posted 28/09/2010 at 18:23:41

Gaute (28) great post, I agree with most of it. But, "I would rather have Bily on either of the sides, or Coleman, perhaps."

Perhaps!? An obstinate Moyes would have heard the view that Coleman was the best choice for RM weeks ago. But no-one can tell Davey anything. It only looks like when he's had no other choice has he relented and played Coleman.

His 4-5-1 at home has been shameful. It's at home he should have played Beckford along with the Yak. This would have given defenders something bigger to think about, would have been better for Beckfords confidence and probably yielded a greater crop of goals since, yes, the team has been playing well in the middle third of the field, but 500 passes in the middle third with no end result seems to have got us where we currenly hang our hat.

Me i'm 53 (going on 19) OI! I heard that you lot. But I dont want to spend the next twenty years looking at shite starts to the season and then the rest of the season playing catch up.

I want to see some bollox by management I want to see the manager recognise the creativity within our squad, I want to see the board sorting things out so we're not bored.

Anyone remember when we came forth? Cos I do. For the last eight or nine games at the end the way we were playing all I could ever check out was how the teams below us were doing. Reason, those last games were dreadful, we couldn't win a fuckin argument.

Someone said somewhere that no team had any profit getting rid of their manager as a knee jerk reaction and i'll go with that. BUT, how many teams where the boss, when in a downward spiral of play tactics, bad team selection ever won anything with that same team.

I hate the term "gone as far as he can take us" it's just so Jamie Red. But after eight years plus we need a fresh injection of managerial ideas.

I dont want to have my family around my bedside waiting for the end and all I can think about is that my beloved EFC since 1995 didn't win a fuckin thing.

COYB FTRS
Jon Cox
30   Posted 28/09/2010 at 20:43:05

Obviously, forget Andy Gray it seems I've had the last word. I was wishing differently.

COYB
Rob Hollis
31   Posted 28/09/2010 at 22:00:49

Following my tirade about Sylvain Distin, on the icLiverpool site our illustrious chairman is at it now. He is speaking as a 'fellow Evertonian.'

'We went into this season with high hopes, something to be honest Evertonians don't usually do.'

Actually, sunshine, we do. It is why we buy the bloody tickets. Why don't you? You think the manager is amazing and you do your best to make the signings he wants and YOU are in overall charge.

I don't usually worry about the chairman but such motivation must have inspired Sylvain to make his comments. I am starting to lose the will to live.

Paul Oakes
32   Posted 29/09/2010 at 03:43:47

Post removed by moderator ? for playing the "kopite" card.
Sam Hoare
33   Posted 29/09/2010 at 09:51:16

Yes, Paul, because I try to stick up for a player who has been by no means the worst in our team, I must therefore be a kopite!

And of course I'm delighted we're bottom of the league!

Irrefutable logic!!!

Distin is no world beater and Yes, I'd rather see an in-form Heitinga start. But barring Man U he has been a decent in a defense that has conceded 4 goals in 5 games.

Our biggest problems are further up the pitch. Evidently.
Tony J Williams
34   Posted 29/09/2010 at 09:15:40

Yes Paul, its because posters like Sam don't explode evertytime we play gash that we are were we are!

I will let you into a little secret: getting angry and typing angry posts doesn't make the overpaid plebs in the middle play any better.
Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
35   Posted 29/09/2010 at 10:50:35

Oh dear, Paul. It was somewhat amusing reading your rants, but you just stepped over the "kopite" line. We don't allow that on here... sorry.