The passion of Tim Cahill

I expect and understand screams from those who do not want Timmy to fly to Oz for a friendly, especially before a Derby game. Though permanently based in Australia, I also would rather he did not travel for this one. Australia's new coach needs to get to know the players and bed in a number of newbies. This friendly against Paraguay is an important part of preparing for next summer's Asian games.

We all must recognise how passionate Tim Cahill is about representing this country where his remarkable popularity coupled with his promotion of good causes deserves and I think will earn an Order of Australia medal. Since this country dropped the British system of honours the OM has become the equivalent of a knighthood.

Tim is equally proud of his Everton connection and is an excellent ambassador of all things good about our club. If Everton has a formal means of recognising those players or backroom staff who give exceptional service then Tim must surely be a candidate.

Like everybody else, I keep fingers crossed that his international duty does not impinge on the derby game. One thing for sure is that Tim will be at the forefront of the battle, and not hiding, like one or two that I could mention.
Dick Fearon, West Australia     Posted 29/09/2010 at 22:53:07

Comments

Liam Reilly
1   Posted 30/09/2010 at 05:38:08

It's a long trip for a meaningless friendly. Surely with their top players plying their trade in Europe it would make sense for the Aussie FA to hold the match there?
Mike McLean
2   Posted 30/09/2010 at 05:58:53

Of course you're right, Liam. But how often do the words "sense" and "football" appear in the same sentence?
Nick Entwistle
3   Posted 30/09/2010 at 08:39:35

24 hours in first class.... poor lad.
Jason Lam
4   Posted 30/09/2010 at 08:46:07

Cahill has given nothing less than 100% in all Everton games so you can't fault his passion and effort. COYB
Dave Lynch
5   Posted 30/09/2010 at 09:12:58

Nick @ 3.
The same thing crossed my mind, I have flown first class once and if given the choice would move in.
He'll be fresh as a daisy after all them manicures and shoulder massages.
Paul Oakes
6   Posted 30/09/2010 at 09:36:55

Sometimes, including 100% isnt enough to be incorporated into legend status. He certainly does not warrant that, as he is nothing but an aging mediocre player.

I think some people continuously go overboard for mediocre players. Don't get me wrong: I love the goals... but I'll tell you, passion alone will win you nothing ? he needs to be delivering on the pitch consistently.

Maybe learning to run and make decent passes is his first step. :p
Shaun Brennan
7   Posted 30/09/2010 at 10:16:46

Dick, they all seem to hide when they play Liverpool
Alan Clarke
8   Posted 30/09/2010 at 10:26:19

It's amazing how passionate he is considering he's not even Australian. The cinic in me says Cahill likes playing for Australia because of his profile and sponsors - Fifa 11, Weetabix etc. If he has any sense, especially considering he's carrying an injury at the moment, he should not play in that game
Dave Lynch
9   Posted 30/09/2010 at 10:31:27

Carefull Paul @ 6.
I have in the past questioned Timmys footballing acumen and been slaughtered by the Aussie mafia for it.
Nick Entwistle
10   Posted 30/09/2010 at 10:39:24

Nice one Dave, you'd move in. Toast all over my keyboard.
James Cadwaladr
11   Posted 30/09/2010 at 10:56:31

He shouod be alowed to go with everyone's blessing. Since he has been with us he has proved his unswerving commitment to our cause and has travelled to Australia and back within 5 days several times, arriving back in the UK less than 24 hours before our match and given absolutely everything for us the following day.

The man is the epitomy of dedication and arguably my favourite player. I know he isn't the best player we have ever had but there is something about Tim Cahill that sets him apart.
James Cadwaladr
12   Posted 30/09/2010 at 10:59:34

@ Paul Oakes no 6.

I refer you to the ball he played to set Baines away before Pienaars back heel for Osmans goal in the Uefa Cup a couple of years ago and also his ball for Pienaars goal at the emirates last season.

Watch them again you will see two very clever delays in playing the ball to create the space for him to play them. A lot he does goes unnoticed as he doesnt do all the back heels and step overs. Its the result that matters not the style. Its football not Strictly come dancing.
Liam Reilly
13   Posted 30/09/2010 at 10:56:35

Nick and Dave

First class is great for the fine wines and the sleeper seat, but its doubtful if Cahill could take too much advantage of the booze.

He'll be knackered when he gets back trying to adjust to the time zone changes within a short space of time.
Thor Sørensen
14   Posted 30/09/2010 at 11:10:02

Dave Lynch # 5. You caused me to spill milk all over the living room carpet. Thanks alot! ;-)
Gerry Rutter
15   Posted 30/09/2010 at 11:27:02

To Paul Oakes@6,
Passion alone will win you nothing eh? You'll certainly win @#%& all without it! Give me ten more Tim Cahills please. I can't understand the constant knocking of this guy on this site. He and Phil Neville are more passionate about this club than a lot of people I could mention! Get back in your box pal.
Jimmy Hacking
16   Posted 30/09/2010 at 11:51:07

Wasn't Cahill already Australian when Moyes signed him? My point is, I've never understood how Alex Ferguson, for example, will buy a Brazilian then complain when he starts jetting off to Brazil for internationals.

Besides, he doesn't play in EVERY Australia game, he is granted leave a lot more often than most of us realise, otherwise he'd have earnt a lot more than 44 caps.
Norman Merrill
17   Posted 30/09/2010 at 11:59:59

Dick, I have no problem with Tim going home, no one can deny him that.
I just hope that if he plays he gets back fit,. to help our cause.
And especially who the oppostion are.
Nick Entwistle
18   Posted 30/09/2010 at 12:13:05

Liam #13, he may even keep UK time for the few day he's out there, who knows?
Dave Lynch
19   Posted 30/09/2010 at 12:30:18

Liam @ 13.
It's all about sleep management mate.
I'm sure his flights will be well thought out with regards time zones.
Time it to arrive at 930am and pop a Zopliclone at the right time, jobs a good un.
Sorry about that Thor, i'll send the missus round to straighten it up lol.
Sam Hoare
20   Posted 30/09/2010 at 13:20:28

Paul @ 6...you called me a kopite on another thread the other day and now you're on here slating Timmy. Hmmm.

Rest up Tim, coz not sure where else our goals are coming from at the moment.....
Tony J Williams
21   Posted 30/09/2010 at 13:54:04

James, you don't even have to go that far back. Look at the ManUre game, set up Mikel for his one on one, headed a goal and nodded back an inch perfect ball for Mikel to crack it on goal. He's a mediocre player for sure (the only one constantly scores against the better teams).
Alan Clarke
22   Posted 30/09/2010 at 14:20:03

If you look at it the other way round, would Australia have been happy for him to play in a meaningless friendly for Everton right before they played Germany in the World Cup?
Tony J Williams
23   Posted 30/09/2010 at 15:11:14

He is probably one of the first names picked by the manager so playing in a needless friendly isn't really going to prove much, unless they are trying to judge people's skill and timing playing with him?
Anand Rabheru
24   Posted 30/09/2010 at 15:33:26

Paul (#6), I am one who will back you up... I know I will get slaughtered for it as well, but I personally don't see what most others see about Tim. Yes, he's passionate, but so is Hibbert, so was Unsworth... but it didn't stop people slagging them off to the max!

Queue the comments slagging me and my opinions off...

:-)
Chris Hannon
25   Posted 30/09/2010 at 17:07:27

Check his website out, he states his lover for everton clearly, he goes on to say he turned down bigger offers to play for Everton! And he is Austrailian he played for Samoa while on holiday there for ten minutes! This stopped him playing for Oz till he was in his 20s!
Jon Cox
26   Posted 30/09/2010 at 17:43:38

James (12) Spot on.
Jon Cox
27   Posted 30/09/2010 at 17:54:13

Over'ed kick at the Bridge.. Yeah get in my son!!
David Price
28   Posted 30/09/2010 at 21:08:42

Massive gap to fill when Tim finishes. Of the Premier League clubs who have been a constant for say the last 5 years, is there a team he hasn't scored against? Any stat kings out there?
Dean Adams
29   Posted 30/09/2010 at 21:29:30

He is far better than many think, but he is no loud mouth, doesn't dive and always gives 100%. Not a prima dona like many other prem players.
Keith Skidmore
30   Posted 30/09/2010 at 21:48:42

Can't knock Tim's love of club or country.
He puts a lot of our media's national darlings to shame, they don't play for national pride but rather for themselves.  You just had to look at the faces on them when England were knocked out of the world cup one word - embarrassment!  Then you look at the faces of the German players -gutted!
I know for some fans its just a simple club v country thing, but I think it really matters more to foreign players in a foreign  league to have a sense of national identity.

There's an awful lot wrong with modern day football, driven by greed, dodgy betting, sky 2-4-6-8, league and cup formats which had worked for decades changed not for the better but for money.
The day pride gets bred out of players will be a sad day for football.
I know someone will probably tell me that money is every players motivation, but it never used to be and I think there are some who still play with passion and pride, it's usually down to the agents to milk the cash cow.
I know a man city fan who said one of the old city players was mending his own roof, when he was asked to ref a kids game on a local park as the ref hadn't turned up, he asked his missus first before duly obliging. What players these days would a) fix his own roof, b) ref a kids game and c) ask his missus if could do anything?

Sorry, longer post than probably necessary.
Dick Fearon
31   Posted 30/09/2010 at 22:26:58

Keith # 28.
In the old days after pub closing time in Maghull it was a regular thing for Blues and Reds players to join in a kick about with us local lads.
You never saw one of them on our side nor one of ours on the other. When a pro of either side tackled a local it was always done with care. When they tackled each other you would swear it was done with passion and pride.
Dick Fearon
32   Posted 30/09/2010 at 22:39:15

I should have said that those game took place in the summer and never during the season. To give all players of both sides their due, I never saw any of them imbibing once training began.
Keith Skidmore
33   Posted 30/09/2010 at 23:42:06

Dick, I think that's another good point about a lot of modern day footballers, they live in this bubble, so far removed from the average fan.
I'd like to know how the players back then would have reacted to a fan telling them that their performances on the pitch werent good enough?
I'd bet you'd get two words from most "pro's" these days and the second one would be off!
Craig Tomasinski
34   Posted 01/10/2010 at 01:37:55

Alan Clarke #8. How is being born in Sydney not being Australian? Before he played for Australia he always said that he is Australian and its the only country he wanted to play for.
Michael Tracey
35   Posted 01/10/2010 at 02:00:52

Alan (#8) exactly where is Sydney? His mother is Samoan I don't see how that doesn't make him Australian. If it wasn't for Tim this year we would not of scored a goal at all.
Paul Oakes
36   Posted 01/10/2010 at 02:35:31

Gerry Rutter - and to the others. I am not saying he is a bad player and I won't fault him for his commitment to Everton or his national side.

Further, I said passion alone won't win you anything. Without it, it's debatable; look at United and Chelsea ? they win things by buying them :p

In all seriousness, though, a few good timed passes isn't enough. He runs like a tortoise. He is so slow. I bet that's the only reason he is playing up top when fit... just park him in the area and hoof and hope to him.

Cahill, for all his faults ? passing, running etc ? are made up for by his willingness to go in for headers where most wouldn't bother... and he gets us goals. I like little Timmy for the record. But he is limited and, no doubt some would say, very limited.

Like everyone else, I admire loyalty, but maybe it's the loyalty to the money he receives rather than real loyalty elsewhere. Age is not on his side and he needs to make his money before he retires. He knows he is not good enough to be in the top 4 teams whoever they are now. So he's realized that it's better to stay where he is because anything else would be a step down? That's the cynic in me.

Loyalty and passion + being a top quality player (being able to run, make constant quality passes, being young, and getting a good 15+ goals a season)... Wait, wasn't that Lescott I was talking about until he ran for the money?
Tony J Williams
37   Posted 01/10/2010 at 09:07:57

God here we go again, A "what has Tim Cahill ever done for us" Pythonesque type thread.

Apart from his goals, his defensive headers, his tackling, his winding up of the other players, his commitment, his eagerness to get things going etc etc........what has Tim Cahill ever done for Everton.

One of the few players in this current team that is anywhere near being labelled as a legend of the club.....he isn't one but if you had to chose one, it would certainly be him.
David Thomas
38   Posted 01/10/2010 at 11:32:00

100% Agree Tony (37).

The threads on Tim Cahill always remind me of that great post from last year "If you take Cahill's headed goals away he does not score that many goals".

Still never understood why you would want to take his headed goals away.
Noel Lynam
39   Posted 01/10/2010 at 13:11:10

Is this the same Tim Cahill who as an uncapped championship (or whatever the league was called then) player in 2002 sought - unsuccessfully - to play for Republic of Ireland in the lead up to the world cup in Japan / Korea?

He only became an Australian international in 2004 after FIFA changed its eligibility rules. Before that he was unable to play for Ireland due to having played as a teenager in an underage tournament for Samoa.

For the record, I think he is one of our most under-rated and effective players in a long, long time.