Members:   Log In Sign Up

Pienaar or A N Other?

Does anyone know when the tranches of Sky TV money are paid? I think it's obvious that we didn't pull our usual last-minute 'rabbit out of the hat' transfer at the start of this season because the Sky money is not dished out in one lump sum like in previous seasons.

So it got me thinking, would we rather the money that we've received so far, or may become due by the next transfer window, be used to increase Pienaar's salary and so get him signed up to another 4~5 years?

Or say sod him, he can go for free in the summer and we'll use the money for someone (eg, Donovan) in January?
Eric Myles, Map Ta Phut, Thailand     Posted 01/10/2010 at 05:24:38

Comments

Andy Mack
1   Posted 01/10/2010 at 06:25:20

Sadly, last I was reading the Sky money balances out our existing wage bill. Since the club have just taken out a £14m loan from Investec secured on media rights and a good chunk of that went to pay a mortgage from last year. The balance funded our "lavish" spending spree this past summer and improving Cahill/Arteta/Baines/Rodwell deals.

I think it's safe to say Pienaar will be off on a freebie, sadly.
Chris Ashton
2   Posted 01/10/2010 at 06:31:10

I keep hearing we should buy Donavan from a LOT of people on here as if he was in the same league as Steven Hunt or the like. If we cannot afford to buy a player this summer, then I do not think we can afford him any time soon.

Here is a thought though... Everton toured the states last pre-season, played some teams, and Peterlin was sent over to us. Now Peterlin has gone, it's made me wonder if the Landon deal was money driven? A sort of MLS sending their biggest asset to the Premier League, World Cup year, just to get exposure. The deal may have been in place a while ago and then it all triggered when e.g, we stayed in Europe.

Just another way of looking at things guys, because Landon is untouchable now and Bill does seem to do these types of deals behind the scenes.
Eric Myles
3   Posted 01/10/2010 at 06:55:04

In that case Andy it sounds more like Pienaar off on a Bosman and N.O. Other coming either in January or next Summer.
Anthony Hughes
4   Posted 01/10/2010 at 07:36:42

Next summer's transfer kitty will only come from player sales, most probably Rodwell to United.
Shaun Brennan
5   Posted 01/10/2010 at 08:18:41

Pienaar doesn't look interested. I always thought Billy was Pienaars replacement. Let him rot on the bench for the season or ship him out in Jan. He's a disruptive character who is at his right level now.
Chris Keightley
6   Posted 01/10/2010 at 08:41:43

Have we not killed this subject already?? If he don't sign, he will go; if he does, good luck for the next four years!!
Tony Doran
7   Posted 01/10/2010 at 08:46:56

He's an excellent player and would be bad for the team if he left. The facts are he can get more money from leaving than staying.
Ray Robinson
8   Posted 01/10/2010 at 09:52:18

Shaun, Pienaar never looks disinterested to me, albeit he rarely smiles. He always puts a lot of effort in. What evidence have you for his being disruptive?
Anthony Fox
9   Posted 01/10/2010 at 09:54:40

Shaun 4 - "Pienaar doesn't look interested" Do you go the game? He has been the best player the last few games. He worked his socks off against Fulham and in my opinion was man of the match. He is the only player who doesn't go sideways and actually takes a man on and makes things happen. I just hope we get it sorted as he is one of the most talented players we have and Billy is not fit to lace his boots at the moment. Why cut our nose off to spite our face? If Pienaar goes we are looking at £9-10m to get a player who will replace him. For gods sake give him an extra £5k a week cos he could go to another club in Jan get a lot more in wages and huge signing on fee...
Marc Williams
10   Posted 01/10/2010 at 10:18:51

Shaun 4#, Got to agree with Anthony (7# ) here in as much as you can't be watching the same games. Pienaar has put in some good shifts for us this season, in terms of effort & has generally been behind what we've created so far.
It's a certainty that he's going, the only surprise given our current 'business model', is that it wasn't last summer.
It's now in his interests to keep his performances good ( as on a free he'll get a bigger signing on fee if his value is high ) & this is what he's delivered so far.
David Thomas
11   Posted 01/10/2010 at 12:10:49

Shaun,

I must be watching a different game to you. He was one of our best players against Manchester United and seems to be one of the only players at the moment who when he gets the ball tries to move the play up the field as quick as possible.

Whether he is playing like this in order to put himself in the shop window for January, i don't know, and i guess that is a debate for another day.
Rob Hollis
12   Posted 01/10/2010 at 12:37:48

Shaun

We do not have any better players than Pienaar nor any that show more committment on the pitch.

I really fail to see anything to substantiate your view other than you are pissed off he has not signed another contract.
Shaun Brennan
13   Posted 01/10/2010 at 13:04:30

What evidence have you for his being disruptive? His agent he choices to have..
Alex Kociuba
14   Posted 01/10/2010 at 12:58:30

Pienaar has been distinctly average this season, along with the majority of the team. I don't think he's putting in anywhere near as much effort as he did last season. I'd sell to the highest bidder in January and get what we can for him. And intentionally letting a player 'rot on the bench' is a ridiculous suggestion/solution.
Tony J Williams
15   Posted 01/10/2010 at 13:11:25

Sounds good Alex but which team in their right mind would pay a decent wedge for Pienaar when they can get him on a free in May?
Shaun Brennan
16   Posted 01/10/2010 at 13:10:46

Gents, reading on, I agree with you and I retract statment about him not looking interested. He is a grafter I do admit.

I hold my hands up.
Tony J Williams
17   Posted 01/10/2010 at 13:53:32

Aparantly though Shaun, according to many grafting is not enough (copyright of the Cahill threads)
David Gallant
18   Posted 01/10/2010 at 13:40:22

Fair play Shaun. It takes a big man.

As for Pienaar, I don't think anyone can still doubt his value to the team. He was our best player last season and has been amongst the better of an otherwise shaky side this.

To question his character because he hasn't signed a contract is bang out of order. I wish he'd sign too, but the fact he hasn't (and probably won't it seems) should not let us question his ability, or attitude.

Sadly, it happens, and if the club don't offer him at least parity with Arteta (or slightly less), then they are to blame if a scapegoat there must be. Pienaar always busts a gut, is always positive and tries to get us playing, and has always done thus. To suggest that he is suddenly now playing better to put himself in the shop window is also a little over the top.

Make no mistake, we will be a poorer team if he leaves.

I wish the bugger would smile more though or at least look happy :)
Trevor Lynes
19   Posted 01/10/2010 at 13:59:14

Tony...Pienar is the ONLY player at present who takes people on and gets past them....Cahill does not have dribbling skills and is basically a player who puts effort in and scores fairly often....I cannot see anyone who we could sign doing a better job than Pienar....we dont have the money for Tevez or Johnson at city....it will be a huge loss if we let Pienar go and we will regret it Im afraid !!
Helikaon Bow
20   Posted 01/10/2010 at 14:30:23

Rock, hard place, pienaar!
Phil Martin
21   Posted 01/10/2010 at 14:33:00

Dont worry guys. Bill is talking to 3 parties as we speak... So a takeover is only a matter of time....
Tony J Williams
22   Posted 01/10/2010 at 15:23:00

Not trying to argue with you Trevor but he doesn't take that many players on. he has a great understanding with Baines and that is what gets passed players. Dribbling, he usually goes sideways or falls over.

Don't get me wrong I want him to sign and stay because he is an intergral part of our side but I do think he is overhyped by some on here.
Alex Kociuba
23   Posted 01/10/2010 at 15:27:42

Tony, I think there'd be a few clubs who'd still pay 3 or 4 million for him in January. Real Madrid bought Gravesen for £2.5m in January 2005 remember. If a similar scenario arises the question would be how much Pienaar is worth to us for 6 months. My guess would no more than £2m. I suppose its a case of evaluating our situation in January though.
Alex Kociuba
24   Posted 01/10/2010 at 15:34:59

And for those of you who say he's put the most effort in, I wouldn't say any more so that: Howard, Hibbert, Baines, Fellaini etc etc. It would be unfair to even Distin, despite his flaws and unpopularity (on here) to say he hasn't put as much 'effort' in as Pienaar.

It would be a reasonable argument to say that for an attacking midfielder, scoring 9 goals in 90 appearances is not good enough, despite any amount of 'effort' put in - particularly for a player demanding better wages than he already gets.
Andy Fletcher
25   Posted 01/10/2010 at 16:27:09

Ive watched every game this season home and away, not on the TV.

Pienaar has been our best player by miles, good workrate and aptitude.

In fact, I feel sorry and embarassed for him when some of our shite play leaves him frustrated. I have seen him look up to the heavens in dispair many times.
Tony J Williams
26   Posted 01/10/2010 at 16:31:32

What, like when he misplaces or underhits one of his passes? I also look up to the Heavens is despair too
David Price
27   Posted 01/10/2010 at 17:04:09

Andy #25, totally agree, really hope we keep Pienaar. I can't see Bily making inroads and perhaps his sale would fund a Donavon deal.
Colin Wordsworth
28   Posted 01/10/2010 at 20:21:45

Does nobody see the correlation between last season and this........2 disgruntled players probably causing unease behind the scenes and the team suffering accordingly. I appreciate he is hardworking, but what else does he give? Last season Billy played less minutes, scored more goals and had more assists! To me, since the Arsenal game last season Pienaar hasn't been the same player and he flatters to deceive. His best football was, together with Donovan when Arteta was injured. Other than that he has believed his own hype!
Sean McCarthy
29   Posted 01/10/2010 at 20:46:54

The single most over rated player we've had in years. And whilst the club stood by him during his problems in his personal life (domestic violence, drink driving) he repays them by holding them to ransom in order to engineer a bosman. Fuck him I say
David Lee
30   Posted 01/10/2010 at 22:06:59

I think he can talk to foreign teams in January and agree deals for free transfer. If we sell, it will be to one of our rivals. The board need to pull their fingers out!!!!!!
Rob Hollis
31   Posted 01/10/2010 at 23:15:35

Certainly in the top five of players we have had since the last title.

Do what it takes to keep him.

Sell Osman and Neville to finance the deal. Sell anybody. If he goes so does the left side and it is (other than during Landons stay) our most potent attacking weapon.

Baines and Pienaar is a match for any left side in the Prem. Other than Fellaini as a defensive mid I can't say that about any other part of the team.
Paul Oakes
32   Posted 02/10/2010 at 04:27:41

Sell Pienaar in the New Year. He isn't worth more than we think he is worth. £50 grand a week, I don't think so... and for him or his agent to think he is worth £75 grand a week or more is completely laughable.
Martin Faulkner
33   Posted 02/10/2010 at 09:27:59

He's an intelligent footballer who puts in a good shift most weeks, however he's not worth 75 grand a week (neither is Arteta either btw) I just don't think he was ever going to sign a new contract with us, he's stated before that he'd like to play in europe again and I think he'll try for a free to spain or Italy, it's his last big payday and what better way to do it than on a free?
Davey should have got rid in the summer Along with the Yak & Yobo who have looked finished with us for a long time now.
This would've given us a chance to freshen things up with some new faces with a point to prove. If not least in massive fees it would've left some room on the wages side.
I'll bet Moyes is also regretting that bumper contract for Saha.
David# 27 I think any sale of Billy would only get us 50% of any fee for Donovan, nobody else would pay 9m plus for him at the moment.
Ciarán McGlone
34   Posted 02/10/2010 at 11:13:19

"Certainly in the top five of players we have had since the last title."

Interesting... who are the rest of these top 5 since the last title? He wouldn't be anywhere near mine...
Sean McCarthy
35   Posted 02/10/2010 at 12:17:14

I can't understand this 'last big pay day' line. He gets a freaking big pay day every week to the tune of £50k!!!
Martin Faulkner
36   Posted 02/10/2010 at 13:50:16

Sean yes he does but that's nothing compared to the one he'll get for a signing on fee after walking out on a bosman. Ty multiplying it by 20
Geoff Edwards
37   Posted 02/10/2010 at 20:21:26

Top 5 players since last title? That's an interesting one. Here's mine (excluding members of the squad who actually won the title. That would make it too easy):

1. Andrei Kanchelskis
2. Peter Beardsley
3. Mikel Arteta
4. Duncan Ferguson
5. Nigel Martyn

It's fairly obvious Pienaar is going. You would hope that the club are already scouting potential replacements.
Eric Myles
38   Posted 03/10/2010 at 01:27:43

Shaun #5, I too thought Bily was Pienaar's replacement but it looks like he has caught Per Krøldrup's Disease and, on yesterday's showing, it's actually Osman that will be Pienaar's replacement!
Roy Coyne
39   Posted 04/10/2010 at 02:15:12

Phil (#21) ? now we are off the bottom, the interested parties will become uninterested.
Ricardo Humphries
40   Posted 04/10/2010 at 06:15:28

Guys,

I think most of you are getting this all wrong. From what I've heard here in South Africa it's the term of the contract that Everton have offered Pienaar. Looks like Pienaar wants a 4- or 5-year deal and not the 2-year extension Moyes is offering.

The fact that the dude wants to sign long term already indicate his commitment to the club... I just hope this doesn't end up another Gosling mess-up!