How about grooming Howe?

In the first instance, may state that I am still (just) a believer in David Moyes and think he has enhanced our reputation with football fans of all persuasions around the country.

Inevitably at times of disappointing results and occasional performances, thoughts turn to possible successors to the incumbent manager. Personally, I cringe when under-achieving names are bandied about, O'Neill, Hughes, Holloway, Big Sam, Sven etc.. or unobtainable Van Gaal, Pellegrini etc... or even more sadly, blasts from the past such as Big Joe (albeit a legend).

When I am not at Goodison or at away games, I go to watch my local club AFC Bournemouth. In the last three seasons, their young manager, Eddie Howe, rescued them from a virtually impossible relegation battle when introduced mid season; the following season, the he got them promoted from League Two, and this season they sit top of League One. All of this was achieved whilst the club was in administration and unable to operate in the transfer market. So not bad although in the lower reaches of the league. Interestingly he is an Evertonian and coaches players to keep the ball, pass and move (they are currently top scorers in their league).

This brings me to my main point: would it be an idea to bring someone in, not to replace David Moyes but to watch and learn and introduce fresh younger ideas? I am not suggesting that it should be this particular guy but someone of this ilk that has not been tainted on the Premier League managerial merry go round (like Round for instance).
Gary Green, Bournemouth     Posted 01/10/2010 at 10:55:43

Comments

Michael Evans
1   Posted 01/10/2010 at 15:07:04

Gary, good post.

"Keep the ball,pass and move (they are currently top scorers in their league" Hmmm... not sure whether DM would entirely go with these new fangled "fresh younger ideas"

Could it be rephrased ever so slightly into "hoof the ball,miss-pass and standstill" ? All this "top scorers" stuff is also a bit radical, isn't it ? What about a nice, reassuring reference to 4-5-1 too ?

Anthony Hughes
2   Posted 01/10/2010 at 15:55:56

Not sure about your comments listing the underachieving managers Gary, O'Neill and Sven, whether you like them or not have won trophies.
Helikaon Bow
3   Posted 01/10/2010 at 16:15:07

Hughes (great job with Wales and Blackburn), Holloway (miracles with blackpool), Big Sam (great job with blackburn and bolton).

Would Howe join us as an assistant though?
Ray Robinson
4   Posted 01/10/2010 at 17:07:27

Opinions are all valid but there's a limit!
Eugene Ruane
5   Posted 01/10/2010 at 17:13:01

Interesting post Gary, the way I'm feeling, I'd have him right now on your recommendation.

I mean we still won't win anything, but we might get the chance to applaud occasionally.
David Price
6   Posted 01/10/2010 at 17:14:11

Could say the same about Rochdale's (slightly older) Manager but a good shout in educating us on Howe's credentials. You would like to hope that however strong the Chairman/Manager relationship is at Everton that there is a plan B in the background should it be needed.
Robert Daniels
7   Posted 01/10/2010 at 17:22:43

We're on the march,
We're Howe's Army...

Bit of a ring to it, me thinks!
Shaun Brennan
8   Posted 01/10/2010 at 18:10:04

"If Big Sam ever became manager of EFC, I really would consider jacking my season ticket in! Architect of anti-football. And as for Holloway, what has he proved as yet? "

But alas apparently he's good enough for Real Madrid...... Ha ha
Erik Dols
9   Posted 01/10/2010 at 18:51:57

Gary, I was in Bournemouth (Boscombe to be more precise...) with some friends to visit an old friend last year . We went to Dean Court and watched them play against Grimsby. We expected hoofball to the max since it was a league two game, but we all were surprised with the passing game Bournemouth played.

Purely based on one game against a very poor Grimsby I can say I like your idea. Certainly if the lad is a blue.
Christopher McCullough
10   Posted 01/10/2010 at 19:33:34

Great post, Gary. The best suggestion i've read in ages. The management and players need an injection of energy to freshen things up. I'm sure the club could afford to increase the wages of someone of Howe's calibre, too. It would be nice if someone with influence at the club read this one. Unlikely as that may be.
Charles King
11   Posted 01/10/2010 at 19:39:40

I know we're desperate, but "grooming"........won't we get in trouble?
Jon Cox
12   Posted 01/10/2010 at 19:56:47

Get Irvine back we were a much better side with his input.
Dick Fearon
13   Posted 01/10/2010 at 22:12:34

Jon Cox #12. It seems like only yesterday when Irvine was on the back end of more than a few uncomplementary remarks on this page.
He is another dour scottish Moyes clone seemed to be the general feeling.
Jay Harris
14   Posted 01/10/2010 at 22:23:11

Good post Gary and certainly interesting as one to watch.

However totally agree with Ray Robinson.

We have this constant desire to get rid of everything thats good about our club and big up other managers.

The very few managers that have performed better than Moyes would not touch us with a bargepole.

"Hey 'Arry fancy managing the blues with an annual budget of a bag of Jellied eels."

"Not likely my son".

"Any way I wouldnt want to follow that boy Moyes.He's a good un he is".
Aidy Dews
15   Posted 01/10/2010 at 22:41:07

Eddie Howe is certainly working wonders down at Bournemouth and it does look like he's going to be a good manager in the future and im all for giving managers like him a crack at the big league.

As for some of the others you've mentioned, i wouldnt have Allardyce, no way, cant stand the arrogant prick and the things he coaches his sides is wrong and cheating in my eyes and i wouldnt want Everton using trates like that to get advantages in games!.

Good enough to manage Real Madrid and win the league or double every season, ha, yeah right! Got a crack at a better job with Newcastle and did fuck all with em.
Martin Faulkner
16   Posted 02/10/2010 at 09:48:42

Gary we needed this when Irvine left, I was hoping the delay in getting in a second #2 was moyes finding someone who could actually coach players in the finer arts of the game, seems it was actually blue bill just saving a few quid on the wage bill and in the end we get Mr Round for a bag of jelly beams a week. This guy worked for Mclaren from Boro and Allardyces at the barcodes!!! great footballing philosophy he would've got there. Nil Satis any fucker will do.......
Mike Allison
17   Posted 02/10/2010 at 19:56:32

I think the problem would be the other way round. If you were Moyes would you want someone coming into learn off you in order to replace you? I can't see Moyes going for that situation and it would be destabilising, whether or not Eddie Howe would be interested.

On the plus side he's my brother's mate's mate, so I'd be bound to get an input on team selection and transfer policy...