Members:   Log In Sign Up

Fellaini no show

Well, my 7-year-old son saved his Birthday money as he knew Fellaini would be at Everton 1 the week after his big day to sign his top if he bought it that day from the store. Not to disappoint him, I booked the afternoon off work and make the 40-mile round trip. We bought the top, paid extra for the Fellaini printing and waited 2 hours in the queue... only to be told ?due to unforeseen circumstances, he could not attend?.

We were told by Everton staff ?this was due to team photos taking so long at Finch Farm?. Well, bad planning I was thinking. However, I came home only to check the website and see Arteta managed to turn up at Everton 2. We have been told we will be invited to a special event, which is fine with me, but try explaining that to a 7-year-old who has saved his birthday money to meet a hero...

I?m hoping the club make up for it as they said they will but, to be honest, I?m holding my breath. I feel once again we're being taken for granted. Was anyone else in the same position or had similar experiences? I just wanted to get your views. On a positive note here?s for a win against the Brum on COYB..
Chris Kennedy, Wigan     Posted 01/10/2010 at 22:24:57

Comments

Lynn Thorne
1   Posted 02/10/2010 at 08:12:11

What a shame - he must have been disappointed.
I would like to think that the club would more than make up for it. They have in the past.
Many years ago, my son who was about 8 at the time went to a training day at Goodison. Dave Watson (my hero) and Franny Jeffers were the members of the team there.
Afterwards all the kids queued ti have them sign a training bib.
Needless to say - kids pushed in and jumped the queue - but my lad and about .4 others patiently waited their turn. Well, they ran out of bibs.
Dave Watson said he would sort it - they each got a bib signed by the whole team - not just those 2.
Liam Young
2   Posted 02/10/2010 at 08:24:16

Hi Chris,
You would hope he didn't show for a good reason, everton are pretty good usually. I hope they do organise something, as it must have been dissapointing for your son not to meet his hero.
I remember as a kid meeting the everton team at bellefield, a day you don't forget, fingers crossd for you mate.
Eugene Ruane
3   Posted 02/10/2010 at 09:39:42

My mate saw Fellaini on the train to London last year.

He said he was with some blonde girl who looked very..um..'happy go lucky' (Fellaini, not my mate)

He said they were sitting in First class and Fellaini (I still can't get over this) was wearing just his kecks.

No shirt, no shoes.

Hope your boy eventually gets to meet him - if he does, maybe he can inform him that traveling semi-bollocko on public transport is not really the Everton way.
Ciarán McGlone
4   Posted 02/10/2010 at 11:06:26

Terrible PR by the club.

I recently suggested that my girlfriend should contact the Premier League clubs and ask for a donation for her Action Cancer fundraiser (she's walking the Great Wall of China).

Embarrasingly, Everton were the only club she contacted who gave her the heave-ho... apparently they get hundreds of such requests each year... Understandable that they couldn't help her, because providing a signed shirt for a worthy cause must cost at least... er... nothing.

Worst thing was that the lot across the park got back straight away and made a donation.
David Hallwood
5   Posted 02/10/2010 at 12:28:44

Must admit Eugene, he looks semi-barking to me, and that probably confirms it. Mind you he's from so Belgium so that probably explains it... Lock up your daughters....no no when I said lock up your daughters I meant....
Thor Sørensen
6   Posted 02/10/2010 at 14:52:12

........you meant "watch your behind"? :-p (Belgian, after all)
Mark Rowan
7   Posted 02/10/2010 at 14:56:26

Chris

We are aware that Thursday's situation upset a number of our supporters.
As promised we will be making arrangements to make it up to those who missed out and we will finalise this in the next few days.

Regards
Mark Rowan
Head of Media and Communications
Everton Football Club
Christopher McCullough
8   Posted 02/10/2010 at 17:27:28

Belgians are sterotyped as reckless drivers, not the cleverest and a bit eccentric. Their recent president for example, when asked to sing his country's national anthem, gave his audience a rendition of 'La Marseillaise'.

Fellaini's behaviour, therefore, doesn't surprise me. If he is like my Belgian friends, however, there will be no malice in his actions and he will make it up to you if he can.

Sorry to hear about the lad's disappointment and hope that's some consolation to you.
Dennis Stevens
9   Posted 02/10/2010 at 18:05:46

This thread has me chuckling a little, not due to the disappointing no-show at E1, but as it has me recalling the excellent film 'In Bruges' & the bad taste joke "What's Belgium famous for? Chocolates and child abuse. - And they only invented the chocolate to get to the kids!"
Chris Kennedy
10   Posted 02/10/2010 at 20:40:08

Thanks for all your posts. Would like to respond to Mark Rowan post 7. Thanks for your comments; I wasn't expecting a offical response on ToffeeWeb. Credit where due and good to know you respond to customer / fans comments.
Peter Pickles
11   Posted 02/10/2010 at 20:50:24

There now, I do like a happy ending. And 2-0 to us.

Lay off the Belgians, though that Pat van den Hauwe was completely mental...
Jon Cox
12   Posted 03/10/2010 at 11:39:19

Peter (11) I hope you put money on it !
John Campbell
13   Posted 03/10/2010 at 20:21:57

Hi Chris, maybe a small consolation, but I have a sgined Felli photo, if your boy would like it let me know and I will pop it in the post for you,

Cheers JC
Karl Masters
14   Posted 03/10/2010 at 20:53:15

One of the bizarrest threads I have seen for a while.

Belgians touted as insane, thinly veiled mentions of paedophiles, an official interjection from the Club's head of Media and Communications, revelations of Fellaini travelling half clothed on trains ( nice one Eugene - hope you enjoyed the pink kit at Brum yesterday :) ) and all this in response to a missed shirt signing at the L1 store.

There's some pretty depressing threads on here sometimes, but this thread isn't one of them!
Conor Waters
15   Posted 03/10/2010 at 21:24:55

Not to dismiss the main topic of this thread, but it certainly is refreshing. I get the impression Fellaini is a little odd. Dunno if its the Belgian or Moroccan in him. But I've noticed a few times on the pitch when he's lashed out at an opponent, and then an Everton team mate tries to talk some sense into him - but he's just not all there, usually followed by a desparing Ossie, Pip or Jags walking away shaking their heads.
Henry Enzio
16   Posted 04/10/2010 at 01:22:33

Here I am, 1st of the month, eagerly turning over my Everton calendar to see who is "Mr October" and, much to my dismay, it's Man City's Jô.

If anything really demonstrates how short-sighted football clubs can be then surely here it is! By the way, I'm fully aware of this sounds sad but frankly I don't care.

Ella Thornton
17   Posted 04/10/2010 at 10:10:44

Henry, I'm as sad as you are! October will remain September with our Jack for me.
James Marshall
18   Posted 04/10/2010 at 14:26:36

Dissapointment is character building, especially for 7yr olds.
Chris Kennedy
19   Posted 04/10/2010 at 15:58:59

Thanks John (post 13): A very kind and thoughtful offer but, I couldn?t take that from you. I?m hoping the Club will make up for it as they?ve stated and it should all turn out good in the end. Thanks again and goes to show we have the best fans in the world. Cheers!
Craig Walker
20   Posted 05/10/2010 at 13:54:47

7 years ago my twin brother got married. I was his best man. I wrote to the club and they sent a card signed by the players. In my best man's speech, after presenting him with the card I joked "it's the only thing Moyes has signed this year". This year, I got married, he was my best man, he got me a card and cracked the same gag. Says a lot about Moyes' transfer activity!