Has football lost something

International break, 1st win so can't winge about Moyes / Kenright etc etc . I got to thinking about my feelings for football this season.

I just can't get fired up about it as is the norm. Is it our dreadful start, fallout from an appalling World Cup, or just pissed off reading about these rich twats shagging this or that prostitute or wannabe wag. Is it just me or does anybody else feel a bit flat?

Normally, I would be laughing my head off at the kopites, even taking into account our dismal form, I play footie twice a week against diehard Reds fans and I can only muster feeble taunts that lack any real conviction or malice... What's going on? Moyes has made (and is still making, to my mind) some crazy decisions with team selections and I am feeling a bit disinterested.

Even reading some of the posts on here, they seem to lack a bit of bite, even when we where sitting rock bottom; mind you 17th ain't great. Anybody else out there just waiting for that seminal performance that's going to get the juices flowing again? Or am I just getting past it?
Iain Love, Warrington     Posted 06/10/2010 at 22:21:28

Comments

John Andrews
1   Posted 06/10/2010 at 23:49:21

Halle bloody lujah we have finally won a game! And also against the mighty Birmingham City. Somehow I don`t feel full of the joys of spring?
John Clarke
2   Posted 07/10/2010 at 04:07:15

Jamie Sweet
3   Posted 07/10/2010 at 04:26:25

Sunday 17th October Iain. There should be a lot of juices flying around that day! I suggest that if they don't start flowing for you watching us further embarrass the RS, you should visit your doctor for a check up just to make sure you're not clinically dead!
Derek Thomas
4   Posted 07/10/2010 at 09:15:36

Wot John Clarke said.

Also I am totally pissed off that those jammy RSs seem to have got the ' get out of jail ' card again...and, no doubt re negotiated their Devils agreement for the next 50yrs.

Q, what do you sell when you have already sold your Soul??
Tony J Williams
5   Posted 07/10/2010 at 09:29:55

I am with you in the sense that at the moment I can't seem to get as worked up when we lose as I used to.

Football definitely has lost something for me. I am (looks around and huddles in to whisper) getting bored with it at the moment.

James Cadwaladr
6   Posted 07/10/2010 at 09:52:22

Jamie @ 3.

17th October 1997

Everton 2
Ruddock Own Goal on half time infront of the Gwladys, cue pandamonium.
Cadamarteri skins Kvarme

Liverpool 0

I still have my ticket stub, paid £17 to get into the Lower Gwladys.

Oh for a repeat of that 12 years on.
Bill Slater
7   Posted 07/10/2010 at 10:26:50

I've read Toffeeweb pages for ages but not had the enthusiasm to post anything until the Liverpool forum that really got me wound up and that's only because it got me thinking back to my youth and not really to do with the modern game.
Tom Campbell
8   Posted 07/10/2010 at 11:04:51

I thought I was the only one
Iain Love
9   Posted 07/10/2010 at 11:01:50

Jamie 3,
Again i know the derbys around the corner but IF we win [last season was a twat against them ] what would that prove ? the're shit and apart from a real tonking 4 or 5 nil i can't get as exited as a used to , maybe you're right maybe i'm dead !.
David Hallwood
10   Posted 07/10/2010 at 10:45:08

Depends on your age Iain, as you get older you lose enthusiasm for a lot of things, hence the term boring old fart. But I agree that the rampant commercialisation that has turned footballers into truculent rock stars, couple with stories of agents ringing up clubs and demanding 100k just to speak to their boy-so that's what your season ticket money's being spent on.

And as for England-well fuck ?em. Playing this week not interested, don?t know where, when or who. At the last World Cup they were staying in a luxurious hotel with every possible facility, and yet the stories coming out of the camp was that they were bored-Bored FFS! That sounds the like the whining of a 14 year old who?s been grounded not a professional sportsman experiencing an occasion that we can only fantasise about, but it certainly speaks volumes about their priorities.

So yes Iain there is a whole lot of baggage that goes with football that I fuckin hate, from having (ok choose) to give my money to Rupert fuckin Murdoch for the pleasure of watching football, right down to the orangey-brown coloured wags that have become role models for 12 year old girls-fuck me I?m beginning to sound like Mary Whitehouse.
Iain Love
11   Posted 07/10/2010 at 11:07:57

Right there with you David, god i fucking hate that cunt Jorden, i'm half way through her latest book , only another 12 shits to go.
And yes England fuck-em disturbing the prem league fixtures cheeky basterds.
I prefer to think of myself as a grumpy old man who's greatest pleasure nowdays, grandkids apart, is my twice weekly twatting by kids [ blokes really ] half my age at 7 a side.
Matthew Mackey
12   Posted 07/10/2010 at 11:31:33

Iain, fully understand your comments about feeling "flat" at this time. Up until last Saturdays win at Birmingham I felt exactly the same and for the same reasons. I come to expect a slow start by the Blues but it's the fiasco of the WC combined with the "who's shagging who" syndrome that has made me question my commitment to football this season. Last season it was the Lescott sage that got me down badly, but after we beat City at Goodison, and then at Eastlands, that demon was extinguished.

So the changing point for me for this season (hopefully) has to be last Saturdays win at St Andrews. I was at the game and I actually felt we played really well, fully deserved the three points and looked like a team that has turned the corner at last. I left the ground feeling a dam sight happier than when I entered it!

Then, the fiasco of the RS which has been building to a crescendo this week has again put an even bigger smile on my face - hello neighbours (from hell), welcome to our world! So now I am starting to feel enriched again with the spirit of football and the optimism that Everton will go into the Darby game feeling confident with a good win under their belt.

It's these little things in football that can be recognized as the turning point that make you feel good again. This season it's the result against Birmingham, last season it was when Tim Howard kicked the post with so much anger after saving a last minute penalty against Spurs to earn us a 2-2- draw, and the season before that it was the infamous Neville challenge on Ronaldo and the look he gave him whist he was still on the ground. Every season has one of those moments which you can look back on and say that was the point I rekindled my belief in Everton and football.
Nick Entwistle
13   Posted 07/10/2010 at 12:27:24

When the primary focus of a sport is to make money, it loses its appeal.

Both cups, Wembley, England, European cometition have all had their meaning taken away but who cares when there's money to be made.

I now just watch Everton and Everton only (and Liverpool v Blackpool) and that remains the same, even if football doesn't... which quite frankly, bores me. Get more fun out of Football Manager.
Norman Merrill
14   Posted 07/10/2010 at 12:47:24

Iain, The International break takes away some of the intensity of our league position, and with the derby match next on the horizon, it will all come flooding back this coming week.
With all whats going on across the park, I have just heard the most stup id phonecall to radio merseyside, some guy just complained that Harry Rednapp had supported Hicks & Gillett on a sky report, and he was disgusted.
Bring on the derby match and quick.
Phil Martin
15   Posted 07/10/2010 at 15:30:56

Iain,

Would the fact that our aspirations for the season are limited to 8th-5th in the league and a decent cup run?
We can't compete for anything better than that. And this has been the state of play for nearly 4 years. Yet nothing changes.

No summer signings, cue slow start, strong New Year showing. Climaxing to a mighty push up the table. Alas to no avail, as we narrowly miss out on 4th. Never mind, we'll get 4th next year and win the League Cup.

Anthony Hughes
16   Posted 07/10/2010 at 15:54:11

You're probably right Phil. Years of being Premiership second tier also rans has started to take the sheen off each season, knowing that we just aren't going to compete with the top 4 or 5 teams. I think most of us are getting fed up with being "plucky little Everton, punching above their weight ,blah, blah", As much as we all love the club we need to get back in there challenging, we need to be spoken of as one of the big boys, the mighty Everton. We just seem to be ever so slowly slipping away and season after season nothing changes.
Dan Parker
17   Posted 07/10/2010 at 15:57:04

I think it's the realisation that this the season that was to be everything has so far been nothing. The fact we're stuck with no new ground and we're not going to get one and the fact we're stuck with no investment. Essentially means we'll either maintain status quo, improve or deteriorate based upon the state of the economy and finances at other clubs. Football just isn't football anymore.
Kunal Desai
18   Posted 07/10/2010 at 16:09:24

The euphoria and excitement was dead for me after the cup final against chelsea. Since then we have not progressed and are on a decline in over season and a bit and I forsee it will continue that way for quite some time.
I don't see value for money in EFC any longer, the product/service on offer isn't worth my money in my opinion. In the tough economic times we are going through the reality is for me like many others i'm sure, paying the bills, maintaining a roof over your head and able to feed the family. Anything else is just second nature.
Charles King
19   Posted 07/10/2010 at 17:56:02

The fact we talk more about investment than the players tells you how shit its become.

But when the Premier circus is'nt on I'm at a loss.

I've come to realise what I miss most is continually moaning about how shit it is.

I realise this is a fragile mental situation.
Joey Brown
20   Posted 07/10/2010 at 18:51:37

I think it's got to be Everton rather than football. Cause I'll watch Champions League still and have a good time rooting against the big boys. I think possibly a lot of us are realizing unless investment comes... we may never see the Champions League. And to me and makes me feel like... what's the point even
Andy Crooks
21   Posted 07/10/2010 at 19:34:34

Joey, the point is.....we support Everton. Dixie Dean, Tommy Lawton, Joe Mercer, Alan Ball, Brian Labone, Duncan Ferguson, etc, etc,etc. We can be in the conference but Everton is what we are.
Nelaj Behajiha
22   Posted 07/10/2010 at 20:54:10

I agree I think that it's just boring now, every season we start shit, which fucks everything later on. Nothing to be that excited about to be honest Iain. If we were top of the league and had a decent side it might be different. I still think Moyes should go at the end of the season to bring some change into the club as it's just so predictable now.
Peter Hall
23   Posted 07/10/2010 at 23:00:54

"Or am I just getting past it?" The man did ask us a question - let's answer it.

Ok we 've had another bad start to the season, and we're now in the position (17th)that seemed to be our own 10 years ago under Walter Smith. Now it seems awful - then it was a habit. And almost a success (ie not 18th)

You can't tell me football or Evertpn is worse than it was 35 years ago ? or 15 years ago. But, 25 or 45 years ago, we were great! (and I was there). I've been an Everton fan through all that and more and always will be.

You might be "getting past it" if the whingeing is all that you feel is left to you.
James Flynn
24   Posted 08/10/2010 at 00:20:01

Well Iain, you feel as you do. I have no comment on your feelings. They're your own.

I will say, we're 7 games in needing radar to put it in the net. Yet, with very little changing, we could be sitting on 21 points.

I don't know why EFC starts slow most years (a guess is lack of a predator (s)). But we'll get there. We have a good team. Need to stop hitting the frame or bungling sitters. I thought we were Top 4 before the season and still think we'll get there.

And yes, still consider Top 1 in the Top 4. Perk up Brother. We'll get there.
Andy Crooks
25   Posted 08/10/2010 at 01:30:05

I've just got back from holiday and believe me Everton's win made the weekend even better. Now, I'm Irish and like to see both teams do well... but what amazed me was the attitude of English fans to the national team.

Is there a north-south divide? Every fan (and there were many) wearing an England shirt seemed to be from south of Watford. I spoke to quite a few scousers (Oh God ? the joy of Blackpool) and the attitude seemed to be total indifference towards England... Why?

Albert Perkins
26   Posted 08/10/2010 at 05:52:59

I have similar dull feelings about the game right now. But I think that would turn around quickly if we get a good run going. We won't win the league, but if we beat the hell out of LiverpLOL and a few other top clubs I think I might get a bit rejuvenated.

And the Reds might struggle to resolve their ownership issues before the Xmas transfer window closes (H&G are a wily pair of bastards) and stay behind us for the rest of this season. That might buck me up a bit too.
And maybe their new owners will want to put Torres on first base and Ngog might turn out to be a great homerun hitter.

You gotta laugh, you support Everton.
Iain Love
27   Posted 08/10/2010 at 08:45:01

Peter 23: It isn't my intention to 'winge'; I was simply asking if others felt the same as me with reguards to football, not just Everton this season.

Andy 25: Separate issue, but yes there is a north-south divide over England, partly due to Wembley being in the south, so it's far easier to watch an England match if your a southener. I used to work in Liverpool city centre and it always amused me that when Everton where at home you might see 10 or 20 fans shirted up for the game, but if the R/S was at home you would see thousands ? obviously fans travelling in from great distances and using the city centre as a focal point, whereas Everton fans where local and used Goodison as their focal point.

Steve Foster
28   Posted 08/10/2010 at 12:26:59

Was not interested in the World Cup, and also finding it hard to 'get going' with it all this season too.

But to be honest, a Derby victory would put me right back on track!

COYB
Terry Hayes
29   Posted 08/10/2010 at 15:12:46

I used to be an avid TalkSport listener mornings and afternoons... I haven't listened to it at all since the shitty World Cup. Everyday Mike Parry boring the fuck out of me with Rooney this and Rooney that and who is best to play up front with the crap twat!... and then the same shite with with Adrian Durham, same shite every fucking day.

Finally, the new season starts... and we are fucking useless! ... but wait ? we've just won a game, our spirits are lifted slightly, bring it on now!!! But we can't, why not? Because of another shitty fucking England game that no-one gives a fuck about. Fuck off, England. Fuck off, Rooney. And fuck off, Parry, even though you're one of us.

Dave Roberts
30   Posted 08/10/2010 at 16:16:36

I don't know anybody fired up about football at the moment whatever their pursuasion... and yet gates are on the up all over the place. Can't understand that myself. Even my kopite neighbour has stopped going to the pub to watch the shite's home games. It's a strange world innit?

Perhaps it's just that everybody I know is a miserable twat like I am at the moment!

Maybe it's all the hype and raised expectation over the summer coming (so far at least) to nowt... and that prick Nick Clegg isn't helping either... jeez how I hate him.

Maybe it's the winter round the corner and we haven't even had a summer. Or maybe I'm just getting old.

Mind you, a 5-0 win in the derby just might cheer me up a bit though! Here's hoping.
Terry Hayes
31   Posted 08/10/2010 at 16:46:38

Dave (30):
I think 6-0 would put the shite on the bottom, I'll take five though.
Karl Masters
32   Posted 08/10/2010 at 18:46:46

Andy Crooks. I am an Englishman living south of Watford and I no longer give a toss about England.

Reasons?

The England team has become a symbol of all that is wrong with English football:

1/ There are so many players in it that just get right up my nose. Terry, Cole, Lampard, Rooney, Gerrard, Lescott, Ferdinand, Crouch, Barry etc. All money grabbing, cheating bastards who the man in the street has very little in common with. And it's all very well saying that you'd take £150k a week and shag around if you could, because actually you are not in that situation are you? These cocks are and yet they have no class, no morals, no gratitude, no nothing.

2/ The Manager is another overpaid, underperforming waste of space, being paid more than double any other international manager in world football. And, he's not English, so again it's not easy to relate to him or believe he really cares thne same as we do ( did ).

3/ The people who follow England are in the main a mix of old time hooligans who refuse to grow up, glory hunting small time yobs from places like Grimsby, Shrewsbury and Carlisle and the odious and ignorant new age Sky fan who believe football revolves around Jeff Stelling and the SKY 4 and drive round with silly little flags on their cars and 20 foot wide flags draped across their rooftops when a tournament is on. Again, I can't identify with these people.

I'd rather watch a Scotland or Ireland game or even an Australia or USA game where at least the players seem to be there for national pride and the right reasons not just to screw more money out of everybody. They are often underdogs and their fans go to away games in hope and for a generally fun time, not to lord it over the locals, smash up bars and behave like knobheads whilst complaining to 606 in droves if we don't put 9 goals past Macedonia.
Derek Thomas
33   Posted 09/10/2010 at 09:14:19

Zen and the art of Football.

' The thing about footbal...

The IMPORTANT thing about football...

Is...it's not just about Football '

Terry Pratchett ... Unseen Academicals