Members:   Log In Sign Up

A tale of two supported teams

Everton ? supported on the footballing front ? and (me being of an Indian origin) the Indian national cricket team. Both teams about which I am very passionate about but why does one disappoint me and another do me proud?

Well, I see a team in Everton who are frustrating. A very good team on it's day and a match for anyone; however, the way this team is coached is to set out and not to get beaten, and try and beat the opponent if an opportunity arises.

Now the analogy I make with the Indian National cricket team, and it made me think about Everton when watching them, is that they just go for the win, no matter if the series has already been won. Having watched India beat Australia in the two tests recently, they went 1-0 up and didn't for one minute decide to play for a draw, which they could easily have done, but they actually went on the attack and took on the opposition (bowlers) and went for the kill. The mentality instilled in this team is to keep on winning, irrespective of the outcome already attained.

My point is, with Everton, they are team who are cautious; they will defend a slender lead and never chase for a second. I would just like to see more adventure in my beloved blues ? just as I see in the Indian cricket team.
Kunal Desai, London     Posted 14/10/2010 at 18:48:19

Comments

Howard Don
1   Posted 14/10/2010 at 19:39:10

First thing that sprang to mind Kunal was - If only Everton had a footballing equivalent of Sachin Tendulker, then I'd be happy to go full blooded attack, as it is we have to be a bit more pragmatic.

You'll know better than me but I'd say the Indian teams whole mentality and skill base is to attack and therefore any attempt to go defensive would be counter-productive although I'm sure if needs must you have guys who could bat all day for a draw.

Anyway thanks for softening up The Aussies for us!
David Price
2   Posted 14/10/2010 at 20:30:57

As soon as I read this, i thought of the little master Sachin and our little master Mikel.

Good points, we are a little cautious, I think due to a lack of confidence in our striking abilities.

Let's hope we go for it on Sunday.

Dennis Stevens
3   Posted 14/10/2010 at 20:41:12

I think much of the team attitude or psychological approach to the game has to be a reflection of the manager. Moyes had the ability to be bold when he first took the job & would bring on an attacking player to secure a win rather than a defender to hang on to it, but somewhere along the way, he's lost that boldness & unless he regains it then I don't think he'll take get the best out of the squad he's built.
David Hallwood
4   Posted 14/10/2010 at 20:51:35

If only we had the football equvilant Tendulka-Messi & Villa rolled into one
Thomas Christensen
5   Posted 14/10/2010 at 21:05:36

As highly as we rate Arteta, he is not in the same league as Sachin Tendulker.

Tendulker is to cricket, what Diego Maradona the player (not manager) is to football. So, if Everton had Maradona, as he was in the mid 80s, in the current squad, then we might be more adventurous and expansive. But we don't and we try to make the best with what we have... a lot like the England cricket team.
Tom Bowers
6   Posted 14/10/2010 at 21:22:39

Kunal, you have to understand what happens in soccer these days compared to cricket. There are astronomical sums of money to be made by successful teams these days and most knowledgeable managers will say that they have to play to their strengths depending on the players who are available for each game. Sadly, Everton don't have many strengths playerwise and have to play a system of containment where workrate is of paramount importance.

This is generally the same ploy for most teams in the Premier League. Scoring the first goal home or away is so important as it psychologically affects the opponents if only for a short while but allows the scoring team to pull everyone back behind the ball as soon as the team who is behind gets possession. It is frustrating to watch but it is something the Italians introduced many years ago and proved successful.

Unless you have exceptional squads and excellent scoring players, like Chelsea, then you play a much more cautious game. With Saha continually out and the midfielders lacking in goalscoring, it is left to an overworked Cahill to snatch a goal in most games. If and when Everton get some good financing then I am sure they will get some more top class players with goalscoring ability which may alter the style of play.

Gavin Ramejkis
7   Posted 14/10/2010 at 22:35:07

I've been slaughtered for it before but watch the German football team, even when they have qualified from a group stage at competitions on how they still go to play to win. Man U and Chelsea and Arsenal all show the tendency to put teams to the sword and I'd love Everton to do the same, to play with a swagger and self belief which I have only seen too fleetingly under DM.
Alex Kociuba
8   Posted 14/10/2010 at 22:36:44

"Sadly Everton don't have many strengths playerwise"

That's total nonsense. I actually think we have quite a talented group of players. A happy, fully fit, well-oiled Everton team would give all Europa teams a hiding and most Champions League teams too.
Alex Kociuba
9   Posted 14/10/2010 at 22:44:07

Baines, Fellaini, Jagielka, Pienaar, Heitinga, Rodwell, Arteta, Saha and I'd even go as far to say Bily would walk into most Premier League teams.
Tom Bowers
10   Posted 14/10/2010 at 22:52:08

When do we ever have a fully fit well-oiled team? Seems like we have been waiting for years... Sorry guys, 4th from bottom is not a sign of a great squad ? and certainly not one who can stay up with the likes of Chelsea consistently.
Matteo Rosingana
11   Posted 15/10/2010 at 00:51:19

And yet we won our most recent game 2-0, albeit without the swagger and confidence of a team who know how to 'kill' the game. I agree that, prior to this, Everton were terribly cautious, but let's hope that a lesson was learnt there. I would love to see the Blues go for the kill.
Kunal Desai
12   Posted 15/10/2010 at 10:14:05

Again I would like to draw comparison to the cricket team, they can bring in certain players for either the test, one day or twenty twenty games and can specifically do a jobs in that position whether it be to get some quick runs at the top of the order or to stabalise the innings. Each player knows there own duty. I could also add the England Cricket team, players playing in positions they are suited to, and have done well over the last two years in all forms of the game coinciding in the WC twenty twenty victory. Nonetheless much of the credit should go to Andy Flower who has completely changed that side around.
With regards to Everton it all comes down to playing players in their rightful positions.
David Price
13   Posted 15/10/2010 at 12:52:37

We're still trying to get the national manager to adopt that strategy never mind with our own Moyes !
Sean McCarthy
14   Posted 15/10/2010 at 13:13:03

Nice pair of rose coloured specs Alex!!! (8 and 9)
Anthony Hughes
15   Posted 15/10/2010 at 14:08:56

That's one hell of a positive assessment of our players Alex, but Bily can't even get picked ahead of Ossie in our team when were fourth bottom. I admire your outllook on it though.
Norman Merrill
16   Posted 15/10/2010 at 14:53:03

I cold not agree with you more Kunai,
and with the latest injury news about Fellaini, what formation Moyes puts out will have to work really hard for 90mns to get a result on Sunday.

Lets hope they are all up for it.