Sunday's selection?

Given the current injury list, who plays on Sunday? I would like to see how Carragher would cope against Beckford's pace...
Dave Reynier, West Yorkshire     Posted 15/10/2010 at 17:25:15

Comments

GJ Butler
1   Posted 15/10/2010 at 17:35:55

Think its safe to say Moyes will go with:
Howard
Hibbo, Heitinga, Distin, Baines,
Coleman, Neville, Arteta, Osman, Cahill,
Yakubu.

Wth Bily on for Hibbo after 75 mins if we're behind, or on for Osman after 85 mins if we're ahead!
David Price
2   Posted 15/10/2010 at 17:39:35

Not much to choose from, bit like the cafe menu for Vikings in Monty Python:

"I'll have spam, spam spam spam spam and beans,"
"Beans are off,"
"I'll have spam instead of the beans then."

I guess it stops us getting over confident like last years games. Underdogs now, just get stuck in boys.

Ped Pearl
3   Posted 15/10/2010 at 17:45:22

Me Ma could mark Beckford out of the game.

The team GJ picked looks a dead cert to me. However Osman and Baines have worked well together in the past. I cant tell you how I have come down to earth with a bump today. Gobshites need that beating Sunday more than ever.
Mike McLean
4   Posted 15/10/2010 at 17:56:05

If we fielded the Brazil national team, we would still get beat 2 - 1.

Nailed on.
Eugene Ruane
5   Posted 15/10/2010 at 17:59:02

Mike McLean - that made me laugh out loud (wish there was a shorter way of saying that)
Ped Pearl
6   Posted 15/10/2010 at 18:03:09

Ok I like puppet Wayne better than muppet Wayne but we all need a laugh!!!
Daniel Hutchinson
7   Posted 15/10/2010 at 18:04:12

I would play:

Howard
Hibbo - Heitinga - Distin - Baines
Neville
Coleman Arteta Gueye
Bily (maybe cahill)
Yak
Tom Bowers
8   Posted 15/10/2010 at 18:07:18

This is beginning to look like last season again with the injuries mounting up and right before the Derby match. No Jags to cope with Torres is the biggest blow . The midfield now hurting.Arteta is going to have to carry us through but somehow now it seems Redshite are going to be cockahoop after avoiding a nine point deduction.
Ray Robinson
9   Posted 15/10/2010 at 18:19:22

Is Pienaar definitely out?
Lee Kidd
10   Posted 15/10/2010 at 19:16:44

@6

Love SP1TV - that ep is quality; the Hodgson joke is class ^^
Alex Kociuba
11   Posted 15/10/2010 at 19:12:38

I'd be surprised if Heitinga gets a game following his recent comments, it would be unlike David Moyes to play him. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a very late, minor, training injury which will rule him out.

Ray, I just saw on the official site (whilst checking to see when Rodwell is back) that Pienaar is indeed out.
Eugene Ruane
12   Posted 15/10/2010 at 19:33:24

Alex, see Erik's article (translation) on what Heitinga ACTUALLY said. I'm not saying it'll make you ecstatic, but it certainly more encouraging than what was 'reported'.
Karl Jones
13   Posted 15/10/2010 at 19:45:39

What a farce this club is...Do we actually have a qualified physio to treat them ?...Surely not a fourth straight home league defeat to the RS ? I can never remember that ever happening- even when they were a class side..Could be another unwanted record for Moyes.
Guy Hastings
14   Posted 15/10/2010 at 20:18:27

Whatever happens, the press reaction will be:
Dark Side lose - Dark Side in crisis blahdiblah
Dark Side win - Dark Side set example to new owners
Dark Side draw - After all the bollocks this week, blahdiblah
Joe McMahon
15   Posted 15/10/2010 at 20:31:11

Doesn't matter who plays, it's gonna be 4 5 1, keep it tight try to nick one, make one sub on the 70th mark, bring on Becford on the 85th minute when we are 2-0 down. Then Spurs away next week, botttom of the table in November it is then. Watch This Space.
David Price
16   Posted 15/10/2010 at 20:41:19

And the latest derby update from SKY SPORTS is, Liverpool rejoice in new owner takeover completion, Torres fit and raring to go, Carraghar signs new contract, Aggar and Kuyt injured, Gerrard ready for fresh start,
Oh and Everton will play in Blue.
Joe McMahon
17   Posted 15/10/2010 at 20:59:51

Am I correct that Moyes has only won twice against Liverpool in the league in his 8 years as manager? FFS sake I cannot see past yet another home loss.
Jon Cox
18   Posted 15/10/2010 at 20:59:57

David P, oohhh cynical or what.

Also I liked the naughty vicar scketch "I like tits" but anyway enough of Monty.

Dan (7) I have said on numerous threads that this would be my team. It's the Gueyes that dont know what this game is all about that will have no fear or any psychological problems on Sunday.

This team Dan with the right managerial moves would slaughter the RS. We can only hope that Moyes goes for this line up. Sadly........
Ian Bennett
19   Posted 15/10/2010 at 22:08:46

I'd go with:?

Howard; Neville, Baines, Distin, Heitinga; Bily, Coleman, Arteta, Osman, Cahill; Yakubu.

I reckon Moyes will play Neville in midfield, which is a mistake. With Osman, Cahill and Arteta in midfield, we should be able to keep the ball. Bily owes us a big match, whilst Coleman will take Konchesky to the cleaners.

I like Hibbo but it's a game in which we need to keep the ball. Bily needs his chance and to put a shift in ? the derby is a logical start given the latest injury crisis.
Jimmy Hacking
20   Posted 15/10/2010 at 23:18:36

I don't care who plays as long as Distin doesn't.
Ste Blundell
21   Posted 16/10/2010 at 00:44:30

You miserable shower of twats. We're going to win.
Jamie Barlow
22   Posted 16/10/2010 at 01:03:16

Who would you play instead of Distin, Jimmy?
David Reiner
23   Posted 16/10/2010 at 00:48:42

White attending Trinity All Saints College in Horsforth (West Yorkshire) in winter/spring of 2000 I bedded a French exchange student with brown hair (and hairy armpits - but she looked good). She was from Avignon & her name was Genevieve or something like that. Until this day I was unaware that I made her pregnant, & that she named our child after me (French-spelled version of the surname too, even). Sorry but I couldn't resist posting, what a strange coincidence, life is bizarre...

Back on topic - Beckford on the bench for me, Yak to start. When is Anichebe expected to come back from injury??

Ped Pearl
24   Posted 16/10/2010 at 02:53:29

Distin had one bad game against Man U.. not been too bad the rest.

As Ste 20 says... we are going to win!

Still not a bad team out even with the injuries. If the Yak has his game on and Cahil and Arteta get stuck in we have a chance - they have goals in them. Bily too. Baines and Ossie play well together so will cause them problems. Where is the creativity in the red-shite midfield?

2 - 0 to the Blues
Ped Pearl
25   Posted 16/10/2010 at 02:59:34

Erm - and Dave - you should at least ask for both the new home kit and the 3rd one. Christmas is coming!! You just gotta ask yourself if yer Mam has hairy armpits...
Paul Rimmer
26   Posted 16/10/2010 at 06:49:26

I would play Bily instead of Hibbo... can't see Moyes doing this though.
Thomas Christensen
27   Posted 16/10/2010 at 07:19:45

Ian Bennett, I really like your formation; it has a solid defensive line and attack minded options. I do think Moyes will offer more defensive cover dropping Bily for Hibbo and putting Captain Pip in defensive central midfield.

Liverpool are very disjointed at present, we've every chance of taking the win but we do need that Yak from 2009.
Derek Thomas
28   Posted 16/10/2010 at 08:04:31

4-6-0... and if we are really adventurous...4-5-1, keep it tight and try to pinch one.

But I hope I'm wrong.
Jon Gorman
29   Posted 16/10/2010 at 09:04:10

Thomas (27), the Yak spent most of 2009 on his arse with a ruptured his achilles tendon.

Howard
Hibbert Distin Heitinga Baines
Coleman Neville Osman Arteta
Cahill
Yakubu

All the signs, sadly, point to a limp defeat on Sunday. Could be a blessing seeing as, even as fans, we don't do pressure very well...
Mike Elbey
30   Posted 16/10/2010 at 11:05:07

I predicted some time ago that our season would get going when we started to pick up injuries and Moyes' hopeless selections were taken out of his hands.

What Moyes has been excellent at over the years is moulding 11 fit players into a system and getting them playing for eachother. What he has been hopeless at this year is having the bottle to pick the best team which would have meant leaving out some of his favourites.

The players aren't daft - they know whi should / shouldn't be in the team and it becomes a distraction and creates dividion. i believe that has happened this season.

Now we have sufficient injuries to mean the team virtually picks itself. The outcome is that Moyes is happy as the likes of Hibbert, Osman and Neville all get in the team without any controversial selection. the players are happy as they are in agreement that the best available 11 are playing. Moyes can now concentrate on getting the team playing the way he wants and the players are all on board - its what we have been good at for years.

We will win on Sunday and our season will be up and running.

I would be amazed if the team wasnt -
Howard, Hibbert, heitinga, Distin, Baines, Coleman, Neville, Arteta, Osman, Cahill, yakubu.
Nelaj Behajiha
31   Posted 16/10/2010 at 12:04:27

We've got no chance without Felaini or Rodwell. Now we have nobody to track Gerrard I expect a defeat now. Felaini would have been instrumental I'm gutted he's out.
Anthony Millington
32   Posted 16/10/2010 at 12:08:53

Without Pienaar we have no width proven against good opposition. If he plays Osman outwide I give up...he shouldn't be in a job. Guaye would offer more than him outwide or his panic star signing Bilyaletidinov!
Gareth Humphreys
33   Posted 16/10/2010 at 12:16:03

I think it will actually be:
Howard
Hibbert Heitinga Distin Baines
Bilyaletdinov Neville Arteta Osman
Cahill
Yakubu

Dominic Bobadilla
34   Posted 16/10/2010 at 12:49:48

Howard
Hibbert-Heitinga-Distin-Baines
Coleman-Neville-Arteta-Osman
Cahill-Bily
Dominic Bobadilla
35   Posted 16/10/2010 at 12:51:57

Final Score: 4-1 - you first saw it here.
David Grace
36   Posted 16/10/2010 at 12:56:50

Seriously hope he gives Gueye a chance, give us a bit of width and some quality deliveries in. Bily owes us a big game but I cant see it!

I'd go for:
Howard
Hibbert DIstin Heitinga Baines
Neville
Arteta Osman Gueye
Cahill
Yak

Neville will have to track Gerrard and I reckon, now they don't have the likes of Alonso and Mascherano, Osman & Arteta would do a job keeping hold of the ball in the centre, with Gueye getting out wide!!!!

COYB 2-1 Cahill first goal!!!
Tom Bowers
37   Posted 16/10/2010 at 13:06:54

Anthony I agree about Osman.He doesn't have a best position as he is not strrong enough nor fast enough to be a problem to good opposition.You watch how many times he wins the ball or tackles an opponent with effect.I really have my doubts about Sunday with the squad we have available but then again anything can happen in a Derby match.
Colin Wainwright
38   Posted 16/10/2010 at 13:51:51

I'm with you Ste (#21)

Stop fuckin crying it in. That's what the shower of shite across the park do.

3-0. COYFBB.
Paul Gladwell
39   Posted 16/10/2010 at 15:56:38

Looks like Neville will be in midfield so alot will hinge on him, he needs to have a cracker to make up for the total red face I felt for the him after not having a clue what year we where formed when asked this question on Soccer AM... ffs, mate ? you must see it at least 1,000 times a day when you are at Finch Farm. Totally embarrassing ? he actually said the year the Shite were formed.
Just sums up footballers really.
Terry Mcloughlin
40   Posted 16/10/2010 at 16:10:05

It will be 10 defenders and 1 goalkeeper Im thinking because moyes is one negative fuck. And when were getting beat with 2 minutes to go, he will take the goalkeeper off for a defender and stick neville in goal because he's god.
Matteo Rosingana
41   Posted 16/10/2010 at 16:24:06

A 2-2 thriller with red cards for both teams. Hibbert to score the equalizer on 93 mins. In the ensuing riot the match is abandoned, and the result stands after the FA enquiry deems it unsafe to replay.
Tony Kelly
42   Posted 16/10/2010 at 16:45:46

Here is both teams line ups.
Howard. Reina.
Hibbert Johnson.
Heitinga Carragher.
Distin. Skratel.
Baines. Konchensky.
Coleman. Mereiles.
Arteta. Lucas.
Neville. Poulsen.
Osman. Cole.
Cahill. Gerrard.
Yakubu. Torres.

When this line up is confirmed I will give you next weeks lottery numbers.
Rob Murphy
43   Posted 16/10/2010 at 17:08:39

Paul, i think you'll find the shite were formed in 1892, while Pip said 1896. Leave Captain Pip alone!!
Paul O'Hanlon
44   Posted 16/10/2010 at 18:50:32

Anyone who doesn't pick Cahill in a derby line up hasn't got a clue
Brian Foley
45   Posted 16/10/2010 at 20:22:35

Tony Kelly #42 as you spelt Konchesky and Skrtel wrong, it makes me think you may get some numbers wrong next week.
Ernie McAllister
46   Posted 16/10/2010 at 20:40:03

I honestly believe Moyes to be absolutely inept. He hasn't got a foggiest how to manage a team with more than 7 fit players in it.

When the injuries pile up the quicker we move up the table because the team picks itself. I absolutely believe he was thrilled with lower league garbage why make the noise "my best team ever" nonsense? Sorry but the man is a clown.
Steve Guy
47   Posted 16/10/2010 at 20:52:07

Regular doses of the love-in between the media and the WS across the Park have peed me off for more years than I care to remember. However, the last couple of weeks have been unbearably tedious and beyond irritating.

The latest White Knight has arrived at the gate and hopefully he will make his predecessors look like a safe per of hands. However, I'm writing all this in the context of Sunday's game. The said media love-in is reaching a frenzy which will culminate in the Kick-Off at Goodison.

Are we going to be bit players in the farce... soap opera... call it what you will? Or are we going to burst onto the stage and prick their bubble ? at least for a short while?

We can only hope; we must give it our all as fans ? and pray the players do the same...

Sean Patton
48   Posted 16/10/2010 at 21:00:18

Steve

Do you really have to ask what will happen?

The manager will balls up the team the players will cack themselves and if we are really lucky the 'best referee in the world' , might allow us to keep a full compliment of players on the pitch.

Funny how Hodgson is at risk of the sack if he loses but Moyes has no pressure despite his pathetic derby record and history of capitulation in this game.
Michael Kenrick
49   Posted 16/10/2010 at 21:05:31

Sorry, a little bit off-topic... but, now that the shenanigans at Anfield have apparently reached some sort of resolution, can someone explain or point me to an article that explains:

How the Board of LFC were able to sell the club from under the arses of the legal and rightful owners, against their wishes?

How a court in Texas USA could possibly have jurisdiction over the affairs of a privately held UK company?

If, in order to acquire LFC, NESV simply paid off the outstanding debt? Did they actually buy any LFC shares?

I'm just curious whether (a) we can encourage Robert Elstone to sell EFC to Bill Gates? or (b) I can petition a suitably compliant US court to have Bill Kenwright stripped of the Chairmanship? Then (c) I can get a Billion dollars in damages if he fails to comply? And (d) use a portion of this to pay off Everton's debts and become the new owner of EFC?
Mike Gwyer
50   Posted 16/10/2010 at 20:54:59

Ernie (46) ? Spot on.

The less Moyes is involved the better EFC perform. The players almost pick themselves for tomorrow's match which almost guarantee's no fucking about by Moyes, 4-5-1 it will be, with Hettinga at CB and Neville at CM ? both filling in for the injured Jags and big fella. The remaining team will be as per the team that won at Brum with Hibbo filling in for Neville at RB.

Rumour going about that Saha is match fit, so Moyes will toss the coin between the Yak and Saha and away we go.

I was going to talk about substitutions but I have a feeling that tomorrow's game is going to be a tad dirty, with the ref dishing out cards pretty much as he did per the World Cup Final. Hence, putting on subs will be forced onto Moyes well before the 67th minute (when we are losing) or 86th min (when we are winning).
Tom Bowers
51   Posted 16/10/2010 at 23:58:02

I am a firm believer in games being decided in midfield and quite honestly in this game it's Arteta against Gerrard. All the others just don't have what it takes to turn a game especially a derby match. Come on, Mikel ? lets have a beauty.
Derek Thomas
52   Posted 16/10/2010 at 23:48:30

MK (46) In answer to your question, because they can and thus, did. But people I know in the Accounting world, especially one very rabid Blue, are amazed that the actually did and from a non-football accounting view have a (small only) degree of sympathy for the 2 muppets.

I think it's the old old story: if your face(s) doesn't fit, the rules will be interpreted, stretched, to reflect that fact... and out you go. eg No leeway and harsh interpretation.

Where as a 'Blue-eyed boy' gets lots of leeway and a slap on the wrist.
Dick Fearon
53   Posted 16/10/2010 at 23:58:08

I wish Davy would use bold words when talking about the derby. it would make a nice change for him to adopt a Big Club attitude and not behave as if we are inferior to the other lot. All over the world, Blue and Red fans argue the toss (hopefully in good humour) with neither side giving an inch. A season's bragging rights are at stake. Hard-earned money will be wagered on the result... and our manager is saying it's not really that important.

I wish just once he would show a bit of gumption and leadership to his players and supporters. He should take a lead from Blackpool's Ian Holloway. Prior to the RS game at Anfield, Ian said we will see what their back four is really like. Blues world wide are saying that anything less than outright victory is a failure, yet our own manager, in his usual wimpish manner, is trying to downplay the derby's importance.

Ste Blundell
54   Posted 17/10/2010 at 02:44:49

Michael,
Dave Kirby's a brilliant writer, he'll be able to answer all your questions Scouse.
Brian Garside
55   Posted 17/10/2010 at 04:03:12

Well, here we are again. Not for once but again we are tipped as having the upper hand/being favourites. On reflection it seems that whenever we are in this position... WE LOOSE!!! WHY IS THIS?

When we are deemed to not have a chance in hell, we produce rabbits!!! I don´t just mean derby games. I know and realise/understand/appreciate (accept?) that this is all part of being an Evertonian... and yes we have injuries to big game/first choice players.

But this time... just for once, can we not just go out on to Goodison Park and play the daylights out of our malodorous neighbours? It´s about bloody time we did. Then bring on the Spurs.

Derek Thomas
56   Posted 17/10/2010 at 05:41:55

Brian#35 Even that won't be enough.

I've lost count of the times that we have, at least to me, done that and STILL come away with fuck all or a draw.

It's that devils agreement they signed just prior to the Sandy Brown derby. All the recent shinanigins has just been the usual negotiating ploys that goes with each participant, be it players agent / Club or rs / devil.

Any win will do.
Jon Cox
57   Posted 17/10/2010 at 09:39:09

COYB
Jonathan Tasker
58   Posted 17/10/2010 at 10:40:52

let's hope the papers are actually talking about us tomorrow, rather than the obsession with that other lot
Gary Mortimer
59   Posted 17/10/2010 at 11:07:47

UNfortunately, I can see Moyes putting out his usual 6-4-0 'derby special' formation.

As long as we win I don't care!

John Andrews
60   Posted 17/10/2010 at 11:10:50

Here we go again lads,derby day.
That crowd from over the park think their coming to play a "small club",they will be full of their superior attitude.We cant be on the back foot.
We have to go out and jump all over them from the first whistle.
Lets show them who we are, lets go out 10 feet tall with hearts of lions.After all is said and done we are born blue we will die blue.We are and always will be EVERTON.

Jamie Tulacz
61   Posted 17/10/2010 at 12:42:48

Afternoon all. Feeling even more nervous than usual today. Bigger derby than usual and a win is much needed. Had some bad dreams last night about slipping to another defeat, hopefully it's not true!

Side for today is:

Howard, Jagielka, Baines, Heitinga, Distin, Neville, Coleman, Osman, Arteta, Cahill, Yakubu Subs: Mucha, Mustafi, Hibbert, Baxter, Beckford, Gueye, Bilyaletdinov.

Surprised to see Jags fit and playing, am guessing Neville at right-back and Heitinga back in midfield? Otherwise no real surprises
Roger Balshaw
62   Posted 17/10/2010 at 12:49:27

No Johnson for Liverpool. The Greek plays instead.
Jamie Tulacz
63   Posted 17/10/2010 at 12:42:48

Side for today is:

Gerry Quinn
64   Posted 17/10/2010 at 13:00:13

Is this the match thread then, Michael K?
Gerry Quinn
65   Posted 17/10/2010 at 13:12:34

Jonathan # 58 - I bet you no matter what the result, all of the talk will obviously be about them. We need to give them a lesson in patience and good solid passing...pleas, please play well today Mikel...