Members:   Log In Sign Up

Rooney: Stranger things......

Some time ago, I jokingly (very jokingly) commented on here that Wayne Rooney had kicked off a master plan when he moved to Man Utd that went something like this:

Rooney moves to Utd, financially saves Everton by his sale, wins all he wants to, and earns all he needs to. And then, when it comes time to renew his contract, he tells Sir Alex, "Nah, yer alright, I'll just run this one down if yer don't mind"...

...and returns to Everton on a free!

Feeling like all us Blues feel on this very good day... how would THAT scenario make you feel?
Brian Williams, Wirral     Posted 17/10/2010 at 16:58:49

Comments

Simon Smith
1   Posted 18/10/2010 at 03:44:13

If indeed Rooney has fallen foul of Sir Alex Wino and is sold in January, do Everton still get a sell-on fee? Anyone shed some light on this for me??
Sega Kana
2   Posted 18/10/2010 at 05:27:45

I think Rooney needs to get back to basics. All the fame and money has become a burden full of temptations. I'd welcome him back. Give him the close-knit family atmosphere that he's so used too. I think we can give him the comfort that he needs to play freely again.
Derek Thomas
3   Posted 18/10/2010 at 07:38:01

I'd take him in an instant.

Q; If SAF decides to cash him up in January, for what will be a fair wedge, can he say No, I don't wanna go to... wherever and just sit it out?
Adam Fenlon
4   Posted 18/10/2010 at 08:32:40

He doesn't give the appearance of a bloke with a "masterplan". Happy to be proved wrong though!
Jimmy Hacking
5   Posted 18/10/2010 at 11:04:07

Adam- ha ha ha! quality.

I've always had a strange feeling he'd be back... probably not thill hes about 32 and crocked, though. But yeah, I'd be delighted to have him back in his prime, anyone who says otherwise is a moron.
Eugene Ruane
6   Posted 18/10/2010 at 11:38:36

I can never really hate young Wayne as he reminds me a lot of myself.

(ie: a short-arsed, narky, scouse, fat ale-tank, who smokes and goes with prozzies).
Robert Daniels
7   Posted 18/10/2010 at 12:16:50

I would love it if Rooney came home!
Jonathan Field
8   Posted 18/10/2010 at 13:42:13

If the speculation is to be believed, Wayne Rooney will soon be heading for the exit at Old Trafford. If this is the case I was just wondering hypothetically what everyone would prefer out of:

1) Rooney has massive money move to Spain circa £60-80 mill, from which we would be entitled to our sell-on clauses (25% of Man U profit).

or...

2) He sees out his contract and joins the Blues on a free and we work out some shirt sales / image rights deal to pay his wages.

I welcome your comments. I will poll your thoughts and then tell him what he should do.

Julian Wait
9   Posted 18/10/2010 at 14:24:16

Anyone have any solid information on whether there is still an active sell-on clause for Rooney? There's indications on red cafe that there's 25% of any MUFC transfer profit would go to Everton.

United have apparently paid a total of £27m for him already; if City paid £50m for him we'd make another £5m.

How would we best use it? Donovan?

Brian Williams
10   Posted 18/10/2010 at 14:25:45

Derek #3.

Rooney COULD do exactly that. The club could agree a fee with whoever they like and he's within his rights to say "No thanks, I'm not going there"...and just see out his contract...I know it's as likely as The Red Shite winning the Premier League but what a laugh it'd be if he did it and approached Moyes and said "Forgive me, I'll play for the same as Mikel and the like coz I'm loaded......

Nurse, nurse....
Andrew Fair
11   Posted 18/10/2010 at 16:24:10

It's all fantasy but it would be awesome to have him back! (as long as he apologises for his Man Utd badge kissing etc) but he would actually turn Everton into a top four contender definitely.

If I'm ever going through shit, I go home to gather my thoughts and get myself together ? just hope Wayne does the same and comes home. All will be forgiven!

Jonathan Field
12   Posted 18/10/2010 at 16:31:59

Sorry, I didn't realise this thread existed... My above comment was supposed to be a fresh Mailbag starter, however it seems I was beaten to the punch! The editor has kindly placed it in here. But I suppose the question still stands...
Tony McNulty
13   Posted 18/10/2010 at 16:32:34

Eugene (#6) in addition to those other qualities, can you play football like him? Maybe we could talk SAF into a swap? Agent Ruane?
Kristian Boyce
14   Posted 18/10/2010 at 16:35:39

I've got a feeling that the 25% of future transfers may have been negotiated out with in the deals with either Neville, Saha or Howard.
Peter Jansson
15   Posted 18/10/2010 at 17:06:34

Seriously it is not actually such a bad plan to try to get Wayne Rooney back to Goodison.

If it is possible? Yes, but that depends on how much he wants to go back to Everton, and if he wants.

I mean it is not impossible. He is a Evertonian since he was a kid and his family is evertonian.

If you all think twice.
How good would Everton be today with Rooney in the team?
Well, Everton would be a top club that every team would fear.

Everton have today one of the best midfields in the league and the defence is good. What is lacking is a good striker that is fast and quick(that is not Yakubu).

With Rooney Everton would have a seriously good striker and would probably score another 10-15 goals a year. That would put Everton up on top in the league.

So the idea of Rooney going to Everton is actually pretty good, if you thnk about it. It makes actually sense.

So I am saying. Come back Rooney!
Chris Leyland
16   Posted 18/10/2010 at 17:15:31

I have been talking about this for a while now and reckon he is coming back.

I don't think he eants to go abroad as he will miss Crocky too much. I don't think SAF will entertain selling him to Man Shiteh. He had no choice with Tevez as it was that dodgy agent fella who owned Tevez not Man Ure.

My money is on Wayne joining Everton on Loan for the rest of the season come January then a swap deal with Rodders in the summer. Discuss.
Paul Roderick
17   Posted 18/10/2010 at 17:21:43

Why don't we ask Rooney to buy the club?
He probably has more dough than BK, plus he can then play for free (And maybe even get some of his new mates to come and play as well).
Terry Downes
18   Posted 18/10/2010 at 17:29:57

I did say sometime ago that if the timing is right and Rodwell keeps improving, I can well see in a couple of seasons Rooney and Rodwell swopping clubs... Any takers on that?
Ben Howard
19   Posted 18/10/2010 at 18:02:16

Brilliant Paul! I'm sure Ronaldo would like to link up with him again...
Alasdair Mackay
20   Posted 18/10/2010 at 19:55:10

The best thing he can do is go abroad for £60million, giving us just over £8million to spend in January.

The he spends 3/4 years in Madrid or Milan, wins a couple of foreign leagues and cups, then Bosmans them for a return top Goodison when he is 29 or 30, minted and we are ready to have a player of that calibre spearhead a genuine title push!?
John Crook
21   Posted 18/10/2010 at 20:02:18

I honestly believe Rooney WOULD consider coming back to Everton. Cash would be the major factor though obviously.

Whilst the club is "searching 24/7" for a billionaire investor, is there not a bussiness consortium that would be willing to finance the Rooney transfer fee and say wages over a 4- to 5-year contract. In exchange the consortium could have a small equity share of the club and receive their returns in installmetns when Rooney fires the Blues into the Champions League. Just a suggestion!!!!

Einar Meier
22   Posted 18/10/2010 at 20:16:29

Rumour has it that Wayne Rooney has fallen out with Alex Ferguson and may be sold in January. Apparently there was a clause in the original contract where Everton would receive 25% of any sum received by ManU in excess of all amounts paid under the original agreement if he is sold. Does anyone know if this agreement is still valid?
Charlie Percival
23   Posted 18/10/2010 at 20:18:41

I knew this would happen one day, but didn't think so soon. He's won his Prem and Champs League, earnt a windfall of money, he now wants to help us win the Title! (taking a pay cut on the way and then being the player he once was, awesome). United have ruined him.

Thats why we spent fuck-all in summer ? cos were financing the Rooney deal.

Rooney's Coming Home! Ha ha ? we can dream!

Eugene Ruane
24   Posted 18/10/2010 at 20:49:42

I actually believe he IS on his way back and that his return will be announced at Christmas. Remember, he has made all the right noises regarding Everton over the past year and don't forget, young Kai is a blue. I'm very excited!

NB: I also believe that an Ostrich named Alan assassinated Kennedy.
Gerry Allen
25   Posted 18/10/2010 at 21:06:59

So, Moyesie is at Blackburn tonight, two seats down from Ferguson. There is only reason for this and some of you may choke on your cornflakes reading this (but not me).

Wayne Rooney will be sent on loan to Goodison Park for a period of monastic reflection until the end of the season in January. In the summer they will try to sell him for a king's ransom, but they will see Everton as offering a stable resolution to a short term problem for their star asset.

I would welcome him back and can see him leading us to a Chamions League place and good run in the FA Cup. The kid would be "home" and play his heart out for the club.

Would he be welcome by everyone?

Chris Wilson
26   Posted 18/10/2010 at 20:52:48

I would rather get him on a free than get the sell-on (if it still exists) because of the potential long term effects. His public rep has taken a massive blow, but he is still seen as a marketable asset (Pepsi aside) and I think if he came back to Everton, it might suddenly make us look interesting to investors word-wide and it MIGHT, MIGHT open up revenue streams with which we never had previous access. Of course my ideas are purely theoretical and I have to agree with some that say this might be too complicated for Rooney to devise. But...IF he did want to play for Everton again, he would have to know that there is no way SAF would sell him to us and even if SAF was willing to sell, we would never be able to afford the transfer fee-it would be like a downpayment for a stadium. I think even Wayne knows the only way back home is on a free.
John Vanderwerff
27   Posted 18/10/2010 at 21:39:48

Wouldn't you just love it - at the Stadium of Dreams singing we've got our Rooney back!
Peter Jansson
28   Posted 18/10/2010 at 22:12:16

Ok, how do we start a campaign to get him back? :-)
Simon Jones
29   Posted 18/10/2010 at 22:33:55

Ha ha ha, I read some nonsense on here, but this one takes the biscuit.
Tony McNulty
30   Posted 18/10/2010 at 23:03:21

There was probably the large whiff of herbal jazz cigarettes around some people when they posted on this thread. But what an incentive for someone to deliver some transfer cash in time for January, in the wake of all those twenty-four sevens. I won?t hold my breath (and not because I inhaled).

Lee Kidd
31   Posted 19/10/2010 at 03:20:49

Are you all high or something? ^^ There's not a monkeys chance in hell Rooney will be in a blue shirt before the age of 36.

He's not a normal, everyday bloke like the media portray him - he's thick as the sky is blue. He'll move abroad or, more likely - given how dumb he is - move to Man City.

Let's put this to bed - we'll never see a "good" Wayne Rooney in a blue shirt again. We may see a "Gazza" Rooney but that's a different story.
Martin Clark
32   Posted 19/10/2010 at 06:49:45

I think its hilarious! I'd love to see Rooney back at Goodison Park. It has taken me a few years to stop hating him. By leaving when he did, I believe he did us a favour, though you will never know!

If he is as football mad, as I believe he is, would it really be possible he'd be willing to throw two years away on the bench to get a free tranfer for more than likely less mone? Hard to believe but enjoyable non the less. It would definately make up for all his idiotic moments of kissing the wrong badge at Goodison and demanding the move, though he'd probably have to do some serious grovelling to sort things out with Colleen!
Guy Hastings
33   Posted 19/10/2010 at 08:29:41

Rooney for Rodwell? Can't see it myself. Rooney for Rodwell and Arteta? I could see that. Rooney back on the books would certainly raise the profile of the club but I suspect that BK would prefer a slice of the transfer fee. In the end, this will all blow over, a storm in a tabloid teacup, and he'll be turning out for Utd this time next season.
Marc Williams
34   Posted 19/10/2010 at 12:06:53

Lee Kid 31# You had to go & spoil it didn't you, for a moment there in my post derby haze, I was quite prepared to believe the insanity. Now you've 'Burst my bubble' that Rooney's coming home, I'll just have to go out & hunt down some more Redshite bastards to torment !

Julian Wait 9# - So you've been on redcafe have ya ? Well I hope you've washed your hands before coming back on here.
Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
35   Posted 19/10/2010 at 14:31:57

Seems quite a few can't find this thread, so I've started a new one on Rooney's Return... I'll may move over some of the more recent posts as well.
Julian Wait
36   Posted 19/10/2010 at 16:04:43

@Marc #34 - Took a shower with Dettol mate, but I still don't feel clean though. I might have to fast and purge for a month before entering a Yurt for solitude and penance :-)

Also, interested by peeps using # for "number"; thought that was a distinctly US phenomenon or has it crept back to blighty now? Inquiring minds want to know.
Mike Keating
37   Posted 19/10/2010 at 19:38:38

My son won't be pleased with a Rooney U Turn.
He ripped up his autographed copy of the Daily Post (heralding the new superstar after that goal against Arsenal) and the photo he had taken with the Boy Wonder at Bellefield on the following Monday in a fit of rage when Shrek scarpered up the M62 two years later.
"He's a traitor" was the only explanation we ever got.
Bitter Blue?
You bet.
Gaute Lie
38   Posted 19/10/2010 at 20:56:03

IF he doesn't stay at ManU, I'd say he'll go to Chelsea or Spain. No way he's so stupid that he'll choose ManCity.

Chelsea is in need of forwards. City is not. So he'll get playtime for sure at Chelsea. No guarantee of nothing else than big money at City.

Not to say the hate he'll have to be aware of, being an ManU player going to City.

And he'll get a decent sum of money playing for Chelsea as well.

Perhaps Spain is tempting too.

But I don't see him playing for Everton or City in the near future.
Aleksandar Jovanovic
39   Posted 20/10/2010 at 00:38:45

So now it's you'd want him back, what about all those whistling, boohooing and insults you've been telling him since he left us? Would that be the case with Joleon as well?

I don't think any player should be attacked if he decides to move away because they gave us so much (both play and transfer money). I mean of course I idolize the likes of Tim, Mikel, Bainsey etc. who are true Evertonians but it's also okay to see some players who don't realize what Everton is. It's just the way they are and that's not why we should attack them!!!

After all I also find much suspicion in what is said by the board of those situations, I believe they rather choose to protect the club than to tell the real truth about the players.