Members:   Log In Sign Up

Rooney The Prodigal Returns?

Reading "The Independent" today I came across an interesting article by Nick Harris and Sam Wallace regarding Wayne Rooney.

Rooney could leave Man Utd next summer by buying out the final year of his contract for the cost of his current yearly salary (£5M) - plus small compensation fee. He could do this using the Webster Ruling - named after former Hearts player Andy Webster. See link for details: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/rooney-could-quit-united-for-only-1635m-2110324.html

Now just imagine this scenario, Rooney decides he wants out of Utd, his family who are all Evertonians as he is, see his future closer to home, with his wife and child. Over the last 18 months he has been building bridges with David Moyes, Evertonians etc. He decides to come back to Everton, will accept the wages he is on at Man Utd currently and EFC pay the £5M to Man Utd, we get a world class player, in his prime for a comparative pittance.

Will Evertonians accept him? After all, his transfer fee stopped EFC going to the wall, but his antics since have caused a great rift between him and Everton, but he did attend the FA Cup Final v Chelsea, his son is being brought up a Blue.

Stranger things have happened and the betting has him at 50-1 to re-join Everton?
Larry Boner, Liverpool     Posted 19/10/2010 at 10:55:08

Comments

Peter Carpenter
1   Posted 18/10/2010 at 21:18:17

He's just like the rest of us - mad, deluded, obsessed, blind - the 'once a blue' shirt wasn't a mistake. Everything he's done with Manure he wanted to do with Everton. He can't give it up, it's in his blood, the same as it is for the rest of us. Did you see him lingering on the pitch after the 3-1 in Feb? Almost as if he was savouring it. He'd love to come back, if only!
Jamie Morgan
2   Posted 19/10/2010 at 09:04:34

Guy, I have to agree with you, I expect it all to blow over. I think he will still be a Utd player next season, but whether he will have signed a new contract by then is the real issue. Could he be in a position similar to Piennar where he quietly just runs the contract down?
Guy Hastings
3   Posted 19/10/2010 at 09:24:16

That's a very interesting piece in the Independent, suggesting that under FIFA regulations he could buy his own contract out for around £5m. There goes EFC's slice of the transfer fee, if that's the case. It would, however, make him a free agent. At the rate he's going, I reckon LA Galaxy could be his next stop.
Chris Fisher
4   Posted 19/10/2010 at 10:14:04

Hmmm... I don't think so. But we do need a goal scorer so it wouldn't be a bad move for us!! Can't see it though, but I would happily have him back.
Steve Sweeney
5   Posted 19/10/2010 at 10:19:11

Stranger things have happened, what about this:

He Joins us on Loan in Jan. He buys out his contract, joins Everton for free after helping us to a top four place and an FA Cup win following an 18-win streak after Xmas during his loan spell.

In Season 2011-12, Everton are the first team ever to win the Premier League, FA Cup, Carling Cup and Champions League. Rooney is on fire and is the Leading scorer in Euro 2012.

Unfortunately BK is still looking 24/7 and still no-one will invest in the club and Rooney is so fed up with the Club's lack of ambition leaves for Chelsea for £80M on a 4-year deal on £300k per week. As he leaves Goodison for the second time he gives Bill and Davey a big wink as if to say, "Back soon"...

Got to stop posting now as the Pussycat Dolls are bringing me my breakfast and I don't know which of them I want to share a shower with. Ah what the hell I'll let them all shower with me.

Dream On fellas

Martin Faulkner
6   Posted 19/10/2010 at 10:20:45

He could buy out his contract for £5M (a la Webster) and then sign for us for say £10M signing fee, wages parity with Mikky but all his own image rights and a fat cut of his shirt sales... Biggest story in world football, sell a few more books etc etc. Just can't see him learning Spanish or Italian can you?
Jamie Morgan
7   Posted 19/10/2010 at 12:11:44

I can't see him buying out a contract, seems a bit far fetched! I can't see him playing abroad or for anyone else apart from us and Man Utd.

I just think this will blow over and we will get him back in about 7 yrs when he is on the back end of his career. I just hope I'm wrong.

Peter Anthony
8   Posted 19/10/2010 at 12:08:05

IF Wayne comes home it could probably be the making of the man and will restore my faith in the humanity of footballers. No point in him going away from the home of football to foreign lands with inferior leagues ala David Platt, Paul Gascoigne, David Beckham etc... He'd remain at the top level and help take us get back to where many of us believe we belong!
Fran Mitchell
9   Posted 19/10/2010 at 13:30:48

Why would Rooney not be able to move abroad?

Oh that's right, he's an uncultured scouser, working class background and would be lost in a country like Spain, I mean, only those who have been rich since birth and had regular holidays in Spain as a child are cultured enough to make the move abroad. It would be almost impossible for a multi-millionaire with lots of spare time to learn a language.

nb: For all his faults, Gazza became fluent in Italian.
Dave Lynch
10   Posted 19/10/2010 at 14:17:55

Will never happen.
Man City or abroad, Why Everton ? It's not as if Manchester is a couple of thousand miles away is it.
Jimmy Saville
11   Posted 19/10/2010 at 14:22:17

Well the prodical son appears to be on the move after falling out with the grumpy old grandad at Old Trafford. Bridges look well and truly burnt there. But are the bridges now repaired back here at Goodison?

It would take Rooney £5 million to buy himself out of his contract for the final year (his signing on fee). Rooney left to make his millions, seek fame and win medals. He has done all this now. Is this the time he might consider to make his return. I'm sure that wages of a £100,000 could be found and would be enough to secure his services, due to his love for the club!

Would Wayne be interested in a move back to Goodison park, and more importantly would the fans want him back?

Andy MacRae
12   Posted 19/10/2010 at 14:22:45

If/When Rooney does get a transfer we are obviously due a percentage of this transfer. I have just been reading the highly speculative BBC Gossip Column where one of the stories relates to a a swap deal with Real Madrid.

If the transfer was to involve a swap then how would this affect our slice of the money. Its stated that Benzema & Diarra + £20m would go to Man U, but how do you calculate the value of the 2 players, would they be purposely devalued in the transfer for taxes or this bonus payment?

Howard Don
13   Posted 19/10/2010 at 14:21:34

According to the Times today this rule allowing players to leave in the final year of their contracts does exist (it's called the "Webster Ruling"). However it also says there is an unwritten agreement among the members of the European Club Association not to exploit the loophole.

In any case Wayne wouldn't come for any wages we could even dream of paying, not yet anyway. So no point in even thinking about it.
Howard Don
14   Posted 19/10/2010 at 14:26:40

Andy (3) are you sure we still entitled to a sell on fee? If so any idea how what percentage is involved?
Jon Gorman
15   Posted 19/10/2010 at 14:30:27

Maybe a interim loan deal, joining us in January for the remainder of the season?
David Oliver
16   Posted 19/10/2010 at 14:32:47

Sounds great... just the small matter of the £300k p/w wages he could demand of any club who pick him up for as little as £5 million.
Darren Dempsey
17   Posted 19/10/2010 at 14:36:35

Not going to happen, but you can guarantee, after Rooney has signed for whoever, that Kenwright will state that we tried our hardest to sign him and bring him home!
Brian Williams
18   Posted 19/10/2010 at 14:29:56

I brought this up in another post (Michael!!!)...although mine highlighted the possibility of him "seeing out" his contract with Utd.

As totally unlikely as it first seemed, (and still does to be honest) the idea of Wayne coming back to Everton ISN'T as stupid, mad, ridiculous as some would have us believe.

He doesn't want to go abroad. He doesn't really want to move (homewise). He's absolutely minted so money isn't (shouldn't) be the deciding factor...parity with Everton's top earners and sponsorship deals etc would see him alright methinks.

What he probably wants, and is just realising it after all thegoings on, is to be loved! The lad's head will be absolutely battered over recent events (which on his part were unforgiveable) and he needs stability in an environment where he feels safe and secure (I'm being serious here)...and where else other than where you grew up.

Moving to Everton would benefit the club immensely in the extra publicity etc gained..and watch investors THEN line up to throw money in. Sponsorship deals, merchandising etc etc etc... the possibilities are endless...

On the footballing side of things. When Rooney left we weren't ready, or good enough (lets be honest) for a player of his ability.....

WE ARE NOW!

...and the number of other players that would look at Everton in a different light (should Rooney re-sign) would be make transfer windows a totally different matter!!!

I tell you! Rooney rejoining Everton SHOULDN'T be looked upon as a bit of a joke because I think the time, the conditions, everything.... is just about right.

Come home Wayne, sort out your personal life, settle down, ... and after a couple of goals in the Anfield derby...all those who said they'd never forgive....will.
Larry Boner
19   Posted 19/10/2010 at 14:40:13

Just listened to Ferguson on the radio confirming that Rooney is adamant that he wants to leave, very similar reports to those that came out of Everton when he left for Utd. He is also dropped for tonights CL game with the reason given as ankle injury, even though he was on the golf course yesterday.

As regards his ability to adjust and settle into a foriegn country, learn the language and the culture, I am sure to would be capable of learning the language, whether he wants to, is another matter entirely. As Ian Rush once so eloquently put it "Its just like living in a foreign country"

As regards Mr Gascoinge, I know he was fluent in Italian as I witnessed him burping his answers (in Italian) to journalists at Rome airport.

Jamie Kerr
20   Posted 19/10/2010 at 14:53:44

Assuming Rooney leaves ManUre in Jan as now confirmed by SAF. Dont we get 25% of his transfer fee?

Surely that would be welcome news to Moyes? Very unlikely we will ever see Rooney in the blue of Everton.
Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
21   Posted 19/10/2010 at 14:56:31

Yea, Brian, I know... but it's a few back in the mailbag, it slips off the homepage and it seems a good number of folk can't then find it, and so they start posting new items.

I think this actually constitutes a new twist and is gaining a lot of attention... so here we are. I've put a redirect at the end of your earlier thread.
Tommy Coleman
22   Posted 19/10/2010 at 14:58:52

Ha Ha Ha. It was only a matter of time. What a great week.

Anyone who thinks he'll return to the Toffees is insane by the way.

Dave Lynch
23   Posted 19/10/2010 at 15:18:30

Maybe, just maybe,. Bill liar has sold EFC to a mega rich billionaire and has leaked the news to Wayne.
So Wayne bangs in a request with promises of we'll put a bid in for you. Billy then in true style states that the buy out was not right for EFC and the search goes on.
Well it's more plausable than the hope that he may resign for us.
Eugene McLoughlin
24   Posted 19/10/2010 at 15:27:38

Post no 22. Are you anything to "Ramos" Coleman???
Tony McNulty
25   Posted 19/10/2010 at 15:23:57

Ferguson has had phenomenal success, ?no queeeestion about that?, as the man himself constantly puts it. However, managerial careers in football are like careers in politics: they invariably end in failure.

Fate dictates that those who can appear arrogant and supercilious are sometimes forced to squirm occasionally. Given the history, it?s added a delicious irony being able to watch the extract on the BBC.

With regard to managing Rooney, old boy, I am afraid you?re officially a failure. Not up to the job. No queeeestion about that. Enjoy.
Kunal Desai
26   Posted 19/10/2010 at 15:28:16

I'm led to believe we get 25% of any PROFIT Man.U make.
Adam Bennett
27   Posted 19/10/2010 at 15:35:26

Wel well well. Looks like Sir Alex is going to find out how we felt in 2004.

I wonder if Roberto Mancini is about to have round of golf with Paul Stretford, and then start effing and blinding at a journalist for asking him about it?

I also wonder how much Mr Stretford will ?earn? for moving his ?client? to Man City, Real Madrid or Barcelona? I reckon it might be more than the £1.5 million he ?earned? for negotiating his ?clients? move to Man Utd.

It?s times like these that makes me fucking hate football, and all the money grabbing bastards that leach from it.
Elgin Joshua
28   Posted 19/10/2010 at 15:38:06

You know what pleases me the most? We now finally, get to read some other football news rather than news about the Red Shites! I just cannot belief the amount of shite news that comes out these days.
Barrie Hemsley
29   Posted 19/10/2010 at 15:37:50

Cannot see him coming back.

A thought though - Benzema for Rooney seems to be general tabloid rumour at the moment. Wouldn't Rodwell for Rooney seem more likely?
Ben Howard
30   Posted 19/10/2010 at 15:33:22

I wouldn't be surprised if the 25% sell-on fee due to us has already been written off through the business of Howard, Neville and Saha.
Phil Bellis
31   Posted 19/10/2010 at 15:50:58

I believe Rooney once said he'd "sign-on for life with Utd if they asked me to." I'll be very interested to see how the wonderful Man U fans behave towards him if he has, indeed, said he is leaving. Will they show loyalty to one of their own? Will it be "Roooneeehhhh" or songs about burning Scousers? Hmmm, tough one...
Adam Bennett
32   Posted 19/10/2010 at 16:07:12

With the 25% sell on fee, as I remember it, it was 25% above what has been paid (which is now pretty close to the £27m, if not all) and I?m sure there was a time scale on it, maybe the duration of his first contract (five years).

Been searching on a well known search engine but can?t find the official breakdown, must be on the web somewhere!!
Chris James
33   Posted 19/10/2010 at 15:55:43

Lovely idea, but ultimately a pipe dream.
Rooney's got too many people whispering in his ear about £200K+ weekly wages.

Barcelona - No
Madrid - At a stretch (mainly because of Ronaldo and Mourinho)
Italy - no chance
For me it's either Citeh (in a deal which sees Tevez or another big player coming the other way + £££) or Chelski for £50-60M.
Either way I think this spells the end of Utd as title challengers for a while and only helps to seriously opens up the top 4 of which I'd argue only Chelsea are guaranteed fixtures and Arsenal are likely.

My early season prediction is:
Chelsea
Arsenal

Plus 2 from:
Spurs (struggling with CL)
Man Utd (slipping seriously)
City (impressive but will stutter when egos clash)
Everton (we all know the start, but we're only 1 win off top 6 now)

Then Villa, West Brom and Liverpool vying over the final european spot.

Phil Bellis
34   Posted 19/10/2010 at 16:10:29

Well, well... Just watched SAF's press conference on BBC site. Seems they've known since 14 August that Rooney wanted away

Curiouser and curiouser; what next, straight swap for Torres or go wherever his wife says?

Gareth Humphreys
35   Posted 19/10/2010 at 16:25:37

Please, please, please let it happen.
Karl Masters
36   Posted 19/10/2010 at 16:26:47

I have been suffering from a torn back muscle after leaping too rapidly out omy seat on Sunday when Tim drove in that first glorious goal. Consequently, I have been taking painkillers since that painful experience in the Upper Bullens and today, having a day off work, have had a little mid-day snooze.

During this, I dreamt that that we swapped Bilyaletdinov for Rooney in January and a Rooney-fuelled Everton stormed the League in 2011, thus preserving the much fabled '24-year rule.'

Was it the painkillers or was it a premonition? :) I wonder waht the odds would be at the bookies? Incidentally I also dreamt that Roxanne Pallet was lying naked next to me, but woke up to find it was actually the cat lying there.... definitely the wrong type of pussy!

Sadly, I don't think either dream is likely to come true, but it's fun wondering!
Gerry Quinn
37   Posted 19/10/2010 at 16:25:52

Fran # 9
"nb: For all his faults, Gazza became fluent in Italian"

That was slurred Geordie speak, Fran!!!!

Still not sure about the Rooney thing - grew to despise him a bit after the blatant badge-kissing, etc.

However, I think that I can honestly say that I know just how I would feel if he were to twat one of those goals in for Everton..........
Ajay Timothy
38   Posted 19/10/2010 at 16:38:57

I don't know what you dreamers are smoking. There is no chance that Shrek is ever coming home. He is more interested along with that twat Stretford in lining his pockets. His likely move will be City so he can say "Once a blue, always a sky blue."
Richard Dodd
39   Posted 19/10/2010 at 16:38:32

The way Rooney is playing at present, he wouldn't even get in Liverpool's side, let alone the Mighty Everton's!
Steve Guy
40   Posted 19/10/2010 at 16:33:05

I cannot believe the hypocrisy sometimes. I have lost count of the number of articles and mailings slagging Rooney off. Yet, the minute we hear he's leaving Manure you all want him back !!! He stitched us like a kipper and only started building bridges (or behaving like an adult some might say) when he thought Moyes might be the nextt Manure manager. The worst type of badge kissing modern day player.

Only slightly more amazing is the cant from SAF. Far from turning Rooney into a better player, he's actually worse now than when he was 17 and looks physically and mentally shot to bits. Not only is he a worse player for going to Manure but he hasn't exactly been protected in his "private" life either. He must go down as one of the most badly advised players in the history of the game. I hope for his sake and his family's he isn't the next Gazza.
Helikaon Bow
41   Posted 19/10/2010 at 16:41:28

I wonder what Moyes would say if asked about a return?

Probably, "I don't wish to comment on other teams players but of course he is a world class player so any team would want him to join" in public but "yes, yes , yes" in private.

Where you are Bill?!
Kevin Gillen
42   Posted 19/10/2010 at 17:06:39

Schadenfreude is pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others.
Kevin Gillen
43   Posted 19/10/2010 at 17:08:10

Oh I've never felt more like singin the Blues... when do we get our Blue hands on our 25%!! Life is definitely looking up!!
Dave Roberts
44   Posted 19/10/2010 at 17:21:23

Not that I have any particular sympathy for Man Utd you understand.....but if Rooney signed for Shitty it would say everything you need to know about the clod!

Yeah, I know it's a job and a short career and all that but you have to expect a bit of humanity in these situations and a bit of respect for the supporters who have worshipped him like a god at his previous club.... don't you?

err.....?

He'll probably sign for Shitty then.
Colin Bates
45   Posted 19/10/2010 at 17:28:10

Jan-11: Rooney sign's for City for £350k a week... only one man in the stadium with a bigger smile on his face: Stretford.

Feb-11: Kisses badge at the Stretford end after scoring the winner in the 98th minute

Once a nobhead, always a nobhead....
Brian Williams
46   Posted 19/10/2010 at 17:31:22

Steve Guy#40.

Some of us didn't slag him off at the time, and still don't feel like he "stitched us up like a kipper"... or believe Moyes was seriously going to be the next Utd manager anytime soon...

I'd certainly welcome back possibly the most naturally gifted Englisg footballer of a generation. That's not to say he's without faults, far from it.

So no hyposcrisy here!

Brian Williams
47   Posted 19/10/2010 at 17:40:46

Michael #21

It was only a light hearted dig mate. I'm still far too happy from Sunday to let ANYTHING bring me down.

Wasn't having a "proper go".
Chris Hannon
48   Posted 19/10/2010 at 17:51:06

Wasn't he in court against Stretford and now he's with another management company?
Steve Guy
49   Posted 19/10/2010 at 17:53:29

Well that's alright then, Brian #46. You are obviously a virtuous man and the exception to the rule as far as most contributors to this site are concerned.

He is the most gifted player of his generation but seems to be doing his best to piss it up the wall.
Tony I'Anson
50   Posted 19/10/2010 at 17:46:07

Steve (40) - Rooney going to Utd. saved Everton from financial meltdown.

But I think you've raised a good point there with the Gazza comparison. Maybe he just needs someone like Alan Stubbs (who was at his wedding) to put an arm around him to say everything will be all right when you come back home.
Jon Ferguson
51   Posted 19/10/2010 at 18:04:45

I've lost the ability to resent Rooney any more. I don't boo him at games and have no interest in the media hype that surrounds him.

He'd undoubtedly improve our team. He'd push us into the top 4 no question, but there is absolutely no chance on earth that he is leaving United to come back to us.

He is all about the money. He's on £80,000, Balotelli is on £0200,000, Rooney wants to get to or near to that figure. He cares about United the same as playing for us, meaning he'd happily move to City, Chelsea, Madrid or Barca if the money is right.

Anyone thinking otherwise is living in an alternate dimension.
David Price
52   Posted 19/10/2010 at 18:06:32

Wayne Rooney handed in a transfer request and was sold to Manchester United in August 2004 for a fee of £23 million, with a potential to rise to £30 million due to bonus payments for league positions, trophies, international caps and 25% excess sell on fees.

These comments from 2004 sounds like we get a quarter of any profit from a sale. Rooney could fetch £60m, profit of £30m we get £7.5m. Surely we can get Landon in January now?

Kevin Tully
53   Posted 19/10/2010 at 18:34:08

No going back now Fergie has gone public with this. He's come back from the World Cup with his big head filled the obscene wages Man City are offering.

That's why I hate it when Jags & Bainsey get picked for the England team. The likes of Lescott and Barry will be waving their wage slips under their noses. As soon as Rodwell gets a shout for the senior squad, he will go the same way, with his sly fucking agent about to share the biggest payday of his life.
Al Reddish
54   Posted 19/10/2010 at 18:34:27

I remember reading a while back that if Wayne Rooney signed an extension to his original contract (which he did) we recieve £1m and waived the rights to 25% of any profit United were to make on any future sales.
Richard Harris
55   Posted 19/10/2010 at 19:06:09

Steve Sweeney wrote "the Pussycat Dolls are bringing me my breakfast and I don't know which of them I want to share a shower with. Ah what the hell I'll let them all shower with me".
So I'm not the only one who has that dream......
Gerry Allen
56   Posted 19/10/2010 at 19:15:05

I think some of you Rooney-baiters are missing an issue of pride that might just work in Everton's favour - for about 6 months perhaps.

Will ManU fans forgive anyone - even the blessed one from Govan - if he is allowed to sign for Chelsea or especially Man City? I think not.

What might be a good way out to save face and theoretically admonish Rooney? Send him back to the Toffees in January for 6 months with no CL exposure or (at least in their minds) limited chance of success in the PL. Selling him on somewhere else in summer suddenly becomes more palatable.

If this became a catalyst for Everton to go onto the next level of CL qualification, a trophy and higher world exposure I'd be willing to take the chance. I think he would be interested as well. Problem is... would he be welcome back here.

I really don't think this is as unfeasible as it sounds and the writer of this good article, Larry Boner, is right to highlight family influence about Rooney's decision-making.
Jack Francis
57   Posted 19/10/2010 at 20:19:28

Regards the 25% if sold for above the £26ish million we got for there is no time limit or new contract signed deal. We will get 25% regardless but I don't know were we stand if it's players plus cash involved!

Then again we might get him for £5m in the summer(i wish). How about swapping him for Johnny H who seems to be after a move!!! COYB

Chris Regan
58   Posted 19/10/2010 at 20:38:33

When Rooney betrayed us like a traitor and went to Man Utd, I remember it being reported we would get a slice of any future transfer. If so what would this be? Does anyone know?

I am watching Fergie on SkySports giving a press conference looking dumb-founded at Rooney's lack of loyalty. What does he expect from soemone who cheats on his pregnant wife and leaves his childhood club at the drop of a hat?

Peter Fearon
59   Posted 19/10/2010 at 20:48:10

TFB Rooney will almost certainly go to Liverpool, which is after all where he belongs. He's a thug and a moron and he'll be right at home there with his best mate Steven Gerard. Frankly, I wouldn't want to see him back at Goodison if he crawled through 100 yards of broken glass to beg for a chance to play for free. Given the state of relations between him and David Moyes I don't think I'll have to worry.
Micheal Lynch
60   Posted 19/10/2010 at 21:01:16

Surely this would be a chance for Bill to sell. Contact some billonaire and say we could have this guy if you want to invest. I know its not that simple but surely a selling point for 24/7Bill
Rob Murphy
61   Posted 19/10/2010 at 20:58:07

Think we waived our 25% sell on fee when we signed Howard??
John Shaw
62   Posted 19/10/2010 at 21:03:11

Q - Would Rooney improve the current Everton team ?
A - Yes.

Q - Would I have him back ?
A - In a fcukin shot.

Q - Will it happen ?
A - Absolutely no fcukin chance.

Because we have a stagnant Board, totally lacking in vision or dynamism. When added to the fact that that tosser Stretford is still his agent, don't be surprised if Wayne ends up at Sitteh, where both he and his scum of an agent can get the biggest bucks. The latest sad indictment of modern money mad football!!
Sean Patton
63   Posted 19/10/2010 at 21:00:28

Karl

I cant help but admire your thinking. I remember you were the first person who pointed out the "24-year rule" about 2 years ago and you are still not giving up on it.
Dan Parker
64   Posted 19/10/2010 at 21:37:13

If he did return, we should welcome him back and he'd complete the missing piece in the team. However, he won't. Given we'll get 25% of anything above £27 million, how much do people reckon he'll go for? Is he worth that anymore? Can Manure achieve a decent return given the length of his contract left?
Paul Foster
65   Posted 19/10/2010 at 21:38:32

First of all, I think there's no chance of him coming back. It just won't happen.

But Peter Fearon, you're wrong about Rooney's relationship with Moyes. They're actually on pretty good terms now.
Craig Taylor
66   Posted 19/10/2010 at 21:42:28

More to the point, if he is such a big Evertonian still he will make damned sure that he sold by Man Utd in Jan for huge sum (£50M - £75M) and ensure that we get some money for the sell-on clause that is apparently and had better be in his contract.

Another £5m will get us fuck all and he will have shafted us again.
Lee Jamieson
67   Posted 19/10/2010 at 21:48:21

There is a facebook page started already simply titled "Bring Rooney back home! Once a blue always a blue!"
David Mathieson
68   Posted 19/10/2010 at 21:02:35

I was there agaisnt Arsenal, Rooney's first goal for Everton ? I've never seen a better goal or player in the flesh and I've seen a few belter players. Gwladys Street, Row M, Seat 31 ? my old season ticket... Goodison rocked after that strike; we all knew who Rooney was but now the world did too when the ball smashed of the underside bar, ending a 30-game unbeaten run for the Gooners.

In the ensuing fixtures chants of "Rooney's gona get yaa" Good times; how sad it all turned out. Without question, I would love it if he came home to lead Everton to some silverware. After all he is a proper Scouser unlike Gerrard (Whiston Scouser?) and Carrager (Alien), which always made me wonder why he didn't show the same loyalty.

Rob Fox
69   Posted 19/10/2010 at 22:42:13

Nah, no chance. He wouldn't get in our team.
Dick Fearon
70   Posted 19/10/2010 at 22:26:39

All this talk about Pussycat Dolls reminds of when I had the hots for Doris Day. For 50-plus years I have kept that secret and at last it is out in the open. O the sense of freedom that brings. The cupboard door is now open for anyone else's secret dreams..
Eugene Ruane
71   Posted 19/10/2010 at 22:18:47

Well as long as we're fantasising...

Dec, 24th 2010.

Sky bloke: "That's this weekend's big relegation battle between Liverp.....and um we're going to break off there and to go over to Goodison for the press conference that we have been told will 'momentous' and 'a Christmas present for every Evertonian'"

Cut to the Bernie Wright suite: Big long table with 5 chairs. After an hour looking at the empty chairs, in troop Rooney, Stretford, Moyes, Round (if he hasn't taken over at Boro) and a beaming Luvington Darling.

They sit (someone says something that makes them laugh nervously but we can't hear what it was)

Stretford leans into microphone: "Wayne will be reading a prepared statement, after that neither he or I will be answering questions. Any questions you have should be directed at the Manager and or Chairmen, thank you....Wayne?"

Wayne, head down, reads: "First of all I would like to thank the staff and players of Manchester United for all their help in my time there. It is a fantastic club and I will never forget all their kindness. Many years ago, In a youth cup game for Everton, I wore the t-shirt 'once a blue, always a blue'. I know this upset many Evertonians after my move to United but (looks up) I meant it then and I mean it now. Everton football club is the club my family and myself love. This might seems strange when you have seen me kiss the United badge, but I done this - cough, drinks water - sorry, I done this because I was fumin' at gettin' slagged an all that. I left Everton at a very young age partly because I was probably a bit too big for my boots and wouldn't listen to anyone. I was always gutted though and always wanted to come home. I am back at Everton now and don't expect to be forgiven immediately for my past. What I intend to do is keep my head down, concentrate on my football and my family. Thank you and COME ON YOU BLUES!!".

Him and Stretford leave as questions are shouted from press.

Observer: "Wayne will you be forgiven by Evertonians?"

Times: "Wayne, Sky TV - brilliant or what?"

Sun: "Wayne that prozzie, shaved or..."

For his first appearance, there is mainly subdued applause and a few noticible boos; however, his performances for the rest of the season are incredible. He helps us to a CL place and all is forgiven.

Not only that but the following season, he knocks the ciggies on the head and his added fitness takes us to our first title since 1987.

Oh and yes... Liverpool went down.
Andy Crooks
72   Posted 19/10/2010 at 23:35:31

John Shaw, you have summed it up perfectly.
Jimmy Hacking
73   Posted 20/10/2010 at 00:02:08

I've always believed That Rooney would like to play for us again, But (and I don't mean this as a dig at the lad) there is no way he would accept the sort of salary Everton would offer, maybe £70k a week tops, when he could get three or four times that at City or Madrid. There's sentimentality, and then there's stupidity.

5 Years in Spain, then maybe he'll be coming home.
Afzan Yusuf
74   Posted 20/10/2010 at 00:32:45

How much money for EFC if Rooney is sold to Real Madrid... say for £50M?
David Hallwood
75   Posted 20/10/2010 at 00:33:42

There's more chance of me playing for Barca, than Wayne Rooney 'coming home' ? he wants to play for the biggest teams with the biggest pay packet. And that rules Everton out... twice.
Thomas Williams
76   Posted 20/10/2010 at 01:16:31

He is coming back, that's what the making up with Moyes and the EvertonTV interview was all about, preparing the path for the return. I only hope we don't swap Rodwell for him.
Derek Thomas
77   Posted 20/10/2010 at 01:24:12

Well it COULD happen.

1) In 2004 Rooney was, in all probability not very mature ( I remember thinking at 18 that I knew it all and everything was just so simple and why can't every one else see it, dummiies )

2) He thus listened to the wrong people.

The question is just how much has he matured and just who is he listening to now...and more to the point what are they saying.

It could happen and I'm sure a sponsor could and would be found to fund the shortfall in wages, the price is always right if it's high enough.

What shirt number should he have??

Dick Fearon
78   Posted 20/10/2010 at 01:42:58

Only one day before SAFs Rooney announcement while at Blackburn vs Sunderland old red nose was in deep, hand shielded conversation with our Davy.
Matt Traynor
79   Posted 20/10/2010 at 02:29:55

Larry, the newspapers also report that he reckons Man U's owners lack ambition, so obviously his agent will have been straight on the phone to our ambitious owners....
Paul Olsen
80   Posted 20/10/2010 at 02:52:47

Would I welcome him home?, yep!

Would he make us proper challengers? Yep!

Is the ANY chance he actually will return? Nah......
Lee Kidd
81   Posted 20/10/2010 at 02:59:54

This is embarrassing to be honest. Evertonians normally talk sense...

It's not going to happen, dreaming about it makes you all look desperate. Rooney is incapable of the hilarious scenario in post 72 as he can't string five words together. It's all about money for Wayne, always has been. When he left Everton, United were the best deal for him. With the financial winds changing and City throwing money around, he's jumping ship again to potentially double his money.

He's a braindead mercenary. He'll throw his career down the pan within a few years because football will no longer keep him happy. He's already shagging around, smoking, the drink will start, he might have a stint in Spain/Italy once his City career backfires, then around the age of 32 he'll arrive back at Goodison as a burnt out wreck of a player grabbing the last easy paycheck courtesy of 35'000 gullible idiots paying to watch him.

The best we can hope for is that the 25-35% profit of next sale is still valid and that we get a tidy £5-6m on him.
Lee Kidd
82   Posted 20/10/2010 at 03:21:03

Just to add to the above though... if it were me, and I consider myself a pretty well-balanced person, and I'd just cheated on my pregnant wife, been caught smoking when paid extreme amounts of money to maintain a professional lifestyle, was raking in massive image right money, a cert for the England squad wherever I'm playing, and badly off form for my current club... I'd take "only" £70k a week to return to Everton to a) revive my love for football and b) bring myself and my wife back home to Merseyside away from the troubles we'd been having for a fresh start.

But that's me. I wouldn't have Stretford banging on about money down my ear and I'd have the intelligence to make a decision for myself.

So, unfortunately, Rooney is off to City to enjoy £200k a week.
Wes Coles
83   Posted 20/10/2010 at 04:21:58

Just wanting to see what the good fans think about what we could do with the Rooney cash we will be given by Man United...

Obviously it's pure dream talk that he is going to nip back to us, so let's be honest and hope they sell him to the highest bidder. Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't the original transfer deal give us 25% of the transfer sell-on?

I'd stick the money back into reducing our debt, being a steady sort of bloke, and also being happy with our current squad too.

The results are slowly coming, let's not blow it all, if anything can we sell a more financially stable club to those few remaining billionaires to toy with?

I hope Bill wins the lottery or something personally!

Jason Lam
84   Posted 20/10/2010 at 04:34:18

If it happened, I would be at the office, grabbing my monitor, screaming YES YES YES Fucking get in! whilst crying my eyes out. I'll need to take the day off too.

But is so happens NESV will show the world they mean business.
Mike Coates
85   Posted 20/10/2010 at 05:44:11

Is there a Bring Back Rooney FB group?

I'm stuck at work, no access ;)
Michael Brien
86   Posted 20/10/2010 at 07:19:16

Sorry I have to disagree with the opinion that Rooney coming back would be a good thing. I am a public sector worker - don't worry I am writing this before I "log on" at work so I am writing this in my own time and not HMG's - I read in the paper that 1 in 10 public sector workers will be made redundant. I turn to the sports pages and read how much Mr Rooney thinks he should earn.

In the inside pages there's also a picture of Coleen out shopping. I turn on my TV and she there doing adverts - why is she famous? What has she done ? Oh yeah she's married to somebody who's famous so that justifies her mega deal with whichever celeb magazine/designer label.

Now I don't mind footballers earning good money - it is a short career after all. However I think it has got way out of hand. When I was a kid the likes of Alex Young would earn about 3 or 4 times what the average wage was - now these guys can earn in a week what the average person would take years to earn.

Do you really want this money grabbing mercenary and his entourage - including that obnoxious creature Stretford back at Goodison ? I certainly don't. He is yet another example of an over hyped over paid footballer who thinks that he is a legend.

I was pleased to see Kevin Campbell back at Goodison on Sunday - I think he is far more deserving of the title "Everton hero" than Rooney. His goals kept us in the Premier League. Rooney plays for one team and one team only and that's TEAM ROONEY. He has played in 2 World Cups and one European Championship - if he really was "World Class" he would have dominated those stages - he didn't.

He used Everton as a launch pad for his career - that's all we were to him. Yes he started at Everton as a kid and I've seen the pictures of him as a mascot. However the truth is we have had more loyalty from some of the players that we signed than Rooney. Wayne Rooney is loyal only to himself - that's the way it is with him. I don't believe that's the case with all players - but it is with Rooney - he has seen how much he can earn and that's become the driving force for him - so good riddance.

Once he retires if he come back to make a public appearance at Goodison cheer him if you want to - I wont.
Michael Brien
87   Posted 20/10/2010 at 07:49:27

ps reference to the TV ad of Mrs Rooneys - that was one I have seen at home. I didn't want any of you thinking we public sector workers have TV at work. Now I'll just nip to the canteen for some caviar before I start work.
Lee Kidd
88   Posted 20/10/2010 at 07:53:02

Completely agree with Michael Brian - Rooney is as much an "Everton hero" as Bakayoko or Thomsen.

The difference is Rooney is, undoubtedly, a genuinely world class footballer. If he came to Everton, he'd improve the sides quality... but maybe he'd demoralise the squad with his attitude, baggage and agent.
Albert Dock
89   Posted 20/10/2010 at 07:59:09

This is a Bobby Ewing shower moment.

I'll wake up and our number nine is living in a semi in Crocky, Coleen's got a job as a dinner lady down the school and Kai's just became the youngest ever Everton signing at twelve months old.

Plus the world's richest man has finally got in touch with BK after the phone bill was paid.
Dane Townsend
90   Posted 20/10/2010 at 08:41:45

What about just seeing it as it is... The lads an arsehole with no loyalty and all he cares about is his bank balance.

He will either go for nothing or at a cut price due to the little time remaining on his contract, I read a report this morning saying Barca would pay nothing more than £25m for him, so he will leave Man Utd for nothing or next to nothing and we will make nothing on the move cos Man Utd will make no profit from his move!

Bad for his current employers Man Utd; bad for Everton ? but good for him, and his bank balance... this is the way the modern game is thanks to player power a la Pienaar.
Matthew Tait
91   Posted 20/10/2010 at 09:03:33

You lot are mad... some of you really think there's a hope in hell Rooney would come back here??

Rooney's leaving United because he wants more money than United can offer, and he's rightly concerned that United are stagnating because they don't have the funds to invest that City, Real and others have. He wants to play and earn at the elite level.

Which bit of that has him taking a massive pay cut and moving back to mid-table Everton? Seriously... I don't know sometimes. All the vitriol against him over the years, and now some of us are apparently fantasising about having the nastly little scumbag back in the team?
Oliver Molloy
92   Posted 20/10/2010 at 09:26:40

.....and now reports coming out that any agreement of a sell on fee to Everton was only for five years, and he's been there for six already.
Eugene Ruane
93   Posted 20/10/2010 at 09:52:57

Paul Olsen (82) are you by any chance related to John Shaw (63)?
Dan McKie
94   Posted 20/10/2010 at 10:07:37

Rooney can go where he likes, but highly doubt that would be Everton at this stage of his career. If he was 30+ when this happened then maybe, but he will still want to be at the very top. That coupled with the fact that he holds all the cards with this webster rule. Even if Man U offload him in January, who's going to come in with £60+ million to Man U and £200-300k per week wages, when they could let Rooney buy his contract for £5 mil, hand Rooney another £20-25 mil, then the wages? Come January, if the situation is still the same, Man U will bite anyone's hand off for their 2004 transfer money back.
Phil Martin
95   Posted 20/10/2010 at 10:08:02

Rooney wants to come back to Everton. He'll even pay £5M to buy out his contract, if Everton pay him that amount back (when he joins) and match his current United wages.

Unfortunately Billy K scuppers the deal by offering salary parity with Tony Hibbert and two tickets to his latest production "Wank Rag". That's what my crystal ball tells me anyway.

Stan Sheppard
96   Posted 20/10/2010 at 09:21:43

There's nothing without hope Matthew.

I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

Maybe it is a pipedream, but who really knows why he wants to leave.

At 24 he's probably made more money than he can spend. Unlikely that he will come back, but remotely possible.
Mike Green
97   Posted 20/10/2010 at 10:19:19

Rooneys coming home - it's official!

I've just heard from Tal Bel Haim's sister-in-law that's he's going to be the fulcrum of the Rooney - Riquelme - Moutinho axis.... wha-hoooooo!!!!!!

Rooo-ney!!! Roooo-ney!!! Rooo-ney!!!!
Mike Green
98   Posted 20/10/2010 at 10:22:32

And I got the 100!
Sam Hoare
99   Posted 20/10/2010 at 10:29:46

Either which way, it's good news:

Maybe he comes back.
Maybe we get some sell-on.
Or worst case scenario it weakens Utd, our (potential) Premier League rivals.

I wonder if he did come back whether that would necessarily be a good thing given
a) how poor he has looked for the last 6 months
b) where his head is at
c) the destabilisng effect it may have on the team.

I'd probably still take him in a heartbeat. If nothing else it would mean we would have two of the the main player sponsors of FIFA 11!
Dave Roberts
100   Posted 20/10/2010 at 10:01:09

Two things annoy me about this.

Firstly, the media coverage.

Almost to a man the press and television journalists are talking about Rooney's betrayal of Ferguson and Manchester United. They talk of how the club nurtured him, turned him into one of the best strikers in the world, only for him to kick the club, the manager and the supporters in the teeth for the sole purpose of filling his (and presumably his agent's) pockets.

It is also reported by the same media that he regrets Manchester United's lack of ambition and the (probable) consequent drying up of the trophy conveyer belt. He wants to win things....so they say.

Well, aren't they exactly the same reasons he left Everton? Didn't our club do most of the nurturing, bringing on a nine-year old kid to a position where he could take the European Championships by storm at the age of 16? Didn't our club and our supporters feel betrayed too?

Yet I don't remember David Moyes calling a press conference to begin the character assassination of Rooney and I certainly don't remember Everton receiving any sympathy or Rooney receiving any villification from the media at the time for what he did.

Then, it was a matter of Rooney doing the only sensible thing and moving to a club where he could realise and maintain his full potential. What a clever young man. Now he will shine.They said.

What's the fucking difference? If Rooney can sense Manchester United are in decline (as I think they are) what is different about him turning his back on them and going somewhere, to another club, which is a 'rising star'? No difference at all except it's Manchester United this time and not lowly Everton!

Secondly, the view that many have expressed on here, that they would welcome him back 'home' not only demeans them but the club itself.

Why?

There is no doubt that as a player, at his best Rooney could grace any football club in the world and improve it. As a player I would love to have him at Everton. But as a personality, and as a man (he ain't no badly advised kid anymore) he fucking sucks and he is not good enough for our club. This prick is more than capable of doing what would be the worst possible betrayal of the supporters of the club whose badge he became so fond of kissing and who grew to idolise him by sticking two fingers up to them and going to their neighbours. I fully expect that to happen. And he will do it for the money.

Whether it does happen or not, the man is a shithouse and he is not fit to wear the blue shirt of Everton Football Club even if that is what he wanted (which I doubt). He's not fit to scrape the mud from Tim Cahill's boots, wipe Tony Hibbert's arse or clean Mikey's house. Because they are what loyalty and respect are all about. While they may not be able to match Rooney's talent, as people, as role-models, they leave him wallowing in the slime.

He and his agent are lying toe-rags and that was proven iin Court. Yet they are still a 'team'. That says a lot to me.
It tells me that people like these are inexorably dragging this beautiful game further and further into the shit. God knows, the game has always had its dodgy characters but it has never plumbed these depths. But that is where these two, ably assisted by a two-faced media, are dragging it to.
Eugene Ruane
101   Posted 20/10/2010 at 10:57:26

I disagree strongly David.

I think wiping Hibbo's arse is EXACTLY what he's fit for!
David Price
102   Posted 20/10/2010 at 10:36:46

Before we played Utd, we discussed Fergies influence on Rooney and i suggested Rooney was the player he is, inspite of the Manager and not because of him.

The facts around Utd are:

1/ They are the next Liverpool, deep in debt and cannot afford big transfers in anymore with the Glazers in charge.

2/ Rooney has seen Ronaldo and Tevez leave because of this.

3/ As stated in the Rooney article, he has been flogged in out of position roles by Utd and left to suffer fans' abuse when not performing for England in summer tournaments.

He has no loyalty to Utd, so where does he go? Colleen won't leave England with her sister in Alder Hey. This leaves one club financially and locally: Man City. It would be totally against current footballing greed for Rooney to opt for Everton and a massive shock for anyone in football.

Rooney see's Man City as a side competing with the best in Europe. We all think Utd will snap their fingers for Rodwell at £25m, when all I can see is City offering £50m for him and £50m for Wilshire from Arsenal. Rooney will not come to Everton, it's City nailed on.

On the plus side, £60m to Real Madrid, becomes £90m for Man City and a £15m cut for us. That's as good as it gets for us, so stop the dreaming and enjoy some cash revenue to push us on.

Thor Sørensen
103   Posted 20/10/2010 at 11:09:18

Apparently, he's off to Liverpool!

For some reason, I was outside Anfield this morning and heard Roy Hodgson say "looks like Wayne's coming."

I was gonna wait and find out more but it started to piss down so I got off.

Not my joke though, heard it somewhere else, but made for a good laugh so decided to post it on here.

Shane Brannigan
104   Posted 20/10/2010 at 11:19:21

He's not coming to Everton so lets just stop that talk right now. Was browsing through the BBC website and found this little gem.....25% sell on! im rubbing my hands together already!

Brian Denton
105   Posted 20/10/2010 at 11:05:27

A great cry from the heart there, Dave Roberts. Agreed with every word.
Eugene Ruane
106   Posted 20/10/2010 at 11:36:24

Shane, it says..

"Everton have also negotiated a 25% 'sell-on' agreement, under which they would receive a quarter of any excess sum over all amounts paid in this agreement"

Does that mean if it was £30M we'd get 25% or does it mean if we've had £27M already, we'd get 25% of £3M? (ie, the excess sum over all amounts paid).

I'm shite at financial stuff so be grateful if someone could explain.
Mike Green
107   Posted 20/10/2010 at 11:47:03

Dave Roberts - great post, second half might be a bit harsh but 1st bit is a peach.

Rooney's going to City surely?

Pro's - club on the up, unlimited buying power, doesn't have to up sticks, already can speak Manc, wedge wedge wedge (£1m a month....?)

Cons - will get some abuse from Man Utd fans. Team not there yet, might take a couple more seasons to be real title contenders etc.

The pro's speak for themselves. As for the abuse I think he would look at the Stretford End and think there's nothing you can do / say to me that I've not had in L4 4EL. Also - if he's hacked off with SAF and United what better way to fuck them back off than go to City.....?

The only other contenders for me are Real Madrid, it's a two horse race.

Matthew Mackey
108   Posted 20/10/2010 at 11:49:19

Luke 15: 11-32 Check it out. It's about Wayne!
Mike Green
109   Posted 20/10/2010 at 11:54:41

Also - I do think there's more than this than meets the eye....

Why would SAF say all I ask is you respect the honour and traditions of this club?

Why wouldnt he? What's he going to say that could damage the honour and integrity of the club.....?

"..... and anyway, those hookers you know, all organised by the club, all part of the culture of MUFC, the club knew.... the club even paid...."
David Price
110   Posted 20/10/2010 at 11:49:36

Eugene, original standings as of 31st August 2004 was we get 25% of sell on "excess", i.e anything above the £27m they paid, we get a quarter.
Eugene Ruane
111   Posted 20/10/2010 at 12:21:24

Cheers David.

So basically we're looking for him to go for £50m or so, which would give us around £6m.

Shit that would be great!
Mike Green
112   Posted 20/10/2010 at 12:35:53

I assume we'd have to pay tax on that....? So..... £3m?

Maybe we should start a bidding war and offer £100m! Then gulp when they say OK.......
Phil Bellis
113   Posted 20/10/2010 at 13:07:29

A couple of emails I received this morning from neutrals...

"Phil, I owe you an apology. I gave Rooney the benefit of the doubt when he left Everton but now it is clear he is a money grabbing traitor!" ? Oldham and England fan

"I feel a bit silly for defending him all this time! What an idiot! You were right all along" ? Spurs and England fan

I could never make non-Evertonians understand how/why we were so upset about Rooney's leaving ? Dave Roberts, you said it all, mate

Lee Kidd
114   Posted 20/10/2010 at 13:47:05

Funny watching Sky News this morning - Eamonn Holmes (Manc fan) with a face like thunder whenever Rooneys name come up, stating how he's greedy and moneygrabbing, then one of the guests said "How about when you did the exact same thing when he left Everton? Did you have sympathy with Everton then?" at which Holmes babbled "Of course I did, of course I did" as his face slowly turned green.

Pricks. The media are pricks, every last one of them, and I hope we remember it when we're challenging for honours in 40 years time.
Eugene Ruane
115   Posted 20/10/2010 at 14:33:19

Maybe we should 'do a West Ham'.

Offer ten million and when they turn us down, offer three and say 'he's not that good'

(for...um...a laugh like...type stuff)
Jeremy Buckley
116   Posted 20/10/2010 at 14:23:02

City or Chelsea are the only ones stupid enough to offer him daft-hundred thousand a week. I doubt Real/Barca would value him that much - as per usual, the British media are talking him up like they do the Premier League (best league in the world) and the English national team (should be challenging for titles).

Having said that, I'd nick Johnny Heitinga's Barcelona bike and give him a backy down the M62 to see him in an Everton shirt again.
James Cadwaladr
117   Posted 20/10/2010 at 14:58:33

Firstly I DO NOT KNOW THE TRUTH IN THIS AND DON'T PROFESS TOO, however, I received very similar information yesterday from two sources: a friend who works in the Commercial Department of Manchester United, and a former colleague who supplies broadcast and media to Manchester City, who says he has heard it from the club.

Firstly let me state my understanding of our sales contract with Manchester United re the Wayne Rooney sales. Perhaps Micheal or anyone else could let me know if this is incorrect.

I believe that the potential add ons for winning the Champions League, Premier League, FA Cup and League Cup as well as the add ons for goals, United appearances and England appearance were written out of the contract during the sales of Howard and Neville to us. However the 25% OF EVERYTHING ABOVE £27M STILL STANDS as United didn't think he would be leaving.

I have been given what I deem as reliable (though not explicitly correct) information as follows:

That Manchester City and Manchester United have already agreed a fee of £60m for Wayne Rooney on wages of £250k per week. Rooney handed in his transfer request in August in the hope that he would leave before Deadline Day, however it never happened. That is why Rooney has been a bit part player and the lies about his injury.

Now that the deal has been done, SAF has announced that he is looking to go. I'm not sure of the benefit in that, apart from to try and start a bidding war, as despite an agreement in principal nothing can be signed until January 1st. SAF has previous in undermining transfer deals and has had it happen to him before ? see John Obi Mikkel and Alan Shearer.

This leaves Everton with a dividend of £8.25m which will be used to sign Landon Donovan permanently in January and talks are being held with the MLS. It may also be the case that a fee has been agreed as the MLS have confirmed today that they will allow Landon Donovan to return to England to play for Everton.

Landy Cakes has also been making some interesting Twitter comments in the last week in support of Everton and also mocking Liverpool fans no less.

?Go on Toffees? before the match and then on Sunday night ?A lot of Liverpool fans talking on here yesterday, where are you now?.

If this is all correct then big thanks to Wayne, unwittingly you may have just given us a great present.

Erik Dols
118   Posted 20/10/2010 at 15:06:58

I'd say that £8.25mil is ring-fenced!
Julian Wait
119   Posted 20/10/2010 at 15:19:40

@James #117 - Good work Agent Cadwaladr!

I hope you are right on multiple levels: 1. It improves Everton if we get LD 2. It seriously impacts United both in the short term and also from a prestige perspective to get trumped like this on what was the jewel in their slipping crown 3. Karma 4. Living in the US I think having LD on the team will improve the number of games and their profile - and the profile of the club in general - over here.

(OK, so it's still City, but that's not the point ... one day this will happen to City ... and some would even say we're enjoying a taste of our own after signing Ball etc from other clubs during the 60's).
David Price
120   Posted 20/10/2010 at 16:20:23

Mike #112, we won't pay tax on any monies from a Rooney transfer, only pay tax on any end of year club profits and no, we don't get money off the taxman when we lose money either !
Lee Kidd
121   Posted 20/10/2010 at 16:30:17

I call shenanigans James ;)

Landon has been in the media today saying he may be open to a loan move but even that would be subject to how he feels after a tiring season.

Also, £60m for a player who has requested a transfer and is on the verge of running out his contract is absolutely ludicrous. Even Mercenary City have the sense to know they have United on the rack; £30m tops.
Dave Roberts
122   Posted 20/10/2010 at 16:10:55

Julian

I don't think we did too much wrong when we signed Bally!

We came in late with a dirty big offer when it looked as if he was going to Leeds, so Blackpool had already agreed to let him go....and in any case, his dad told him he had to stay in Lancashire! There was only one place he was going after that. The Shite Board wouldn't give Shankly the money so he couldn't go there even though they wanted him.

'Once Everton touch you, nothing is the same!' Unless your name is Rooney (or Lescott)
David Price
123   Posted 20/10/2010 at 16:44:07

LA Galaxy have confirmed their willingness to let Landon go on a permenant and at a reduced fee.
£8.25m could be the magic number.
Also the same cut from a £60m transfer for Rooney to City.
Anyone ready to praise BK for some sound business dealings yet ?
Cheers Wayne, played a blinder.
Mike Green
124   Posted 20/10/2010 at 17:02:20

Thanks for the tax tip David - makes sense.
James Cadwaladr
125   Posted 20/10/2010 at 17:14:58

Lee @ 121 like I say, I don't know the truth. All I can say is I trust both sources.

Re Landon saying it depends on tiredness etc, you need to quote his full quote which was something along the lines of "I must make sure I am not failing the club I am joining."
Andy Crooks
126   Posted 20/10/2010 at 17:48:07

We don't need Landon Donovan. If we've got any spare cash in January I'd invest it in Kevin Doyle. He can play as the lone striker in 4-5-1(let's face it this is how we'll play as long as DM is here) . Saha is done and Doyle with the new Yak is just what is needed.
Gerry Quinn
127   Posted 20/10/2010 at 17:55:27

Well that settles it - Rooney has told the world he is leaving ManUre because their boardroom lacks ambition........almost certain now that Everton will be one of his few options, then! :)
Andy Crooks
128   Posted 20/10/2010 at 17:57:01

Sorry, I meant to add, Coleman will improve and will do just fine in the absence of Donovan. This is not to criticize Landon I said when he came on loan that he would be a catalyst. It won't happen again.
Nelaj Behajiha
129   Posted 20/10/2010 at 17:53:07

I have always believed this as Rooney is an egotistical player, playing at United he never quite gets the support he did while playing for us. He's different from other players as I don't believe that money bothers him. I don't believe he'd go to Manchester City and don't believe he'd go abroad for family reasons. Coleen seems to be a very family motivated person, I doubt if he wanted to keep Coleen and Kai he'd move abroad.

He's acheived so much so young that really, he doesn't have any passion for United anymore. I doubt he'd go to Chelsea as he knows the implications and I doubt he'd even dream of going to Spurs. I honestly believe that, if he does leave, GP is his only viable destination. He'd be a fans favourite; he wouldn't have to put up with Ferguson; Coleen and his family would be happy; and it would be his homecoming.

Clive Lewis
130   Posted 20/10/2010 at 18:32:21

I heard from someone whos auntie works as cleaner at old trafford that she overheard a conversation whilst cleaning the toilet that Moyes was taking over from SAF next year and rooney was having none of it and wanted out. It could be true..........
David Chait
131   Posted 20/10/2010 at 18:53:39

Basically BK has till Juen 2011 to find a buyer probably... well that is the best case.. else by Jan this year... if we get him.. Rooney is as good as ours!!!

Dave #100.. don't know if anyone read Phil McNulty's blog on BBC sport ... his post 100 is spot on and gets a lot of people agreeing --- there is little sympathy for Man U or Ferguson..many realise he is getting exactly what he does to many other teams.... if it weren't for players not been 100% loyal he would never have got 90% of his side.. let alone even Rooney.. it's complete hypocracy... its not only Evertonians that see it!
David Hallwood
132   Posted 20/10/2010 at 19:17:43

I wouldn't want Rooney back; he now thinks that he's a rock star and acts like one, the last thing we need is a Billy Big Bollocks, acting like a diva when he doesn't get his way.

But he ain't coming, so how come that we end up with a 132 thread on a non-subject. In a statement Shrek, states that Man U have no ambition, and that's why he's leaving, at the same time demanding £ million a week off the same club-so does mean that he will suffer the pain of being with a club lacking in ambition, as long as they give him the money. What a slut! let's face it Stretford's been pimping him around and has found a willing buyer, probably Citteh.

Really all of us are to blame, we should walk away from this greedy, tawdry game, and make the fuckers work for a living. Talk about more wants more
Stuart O'Malley
133   Posted 20/10/2010 at 20:17:25

Just a thought, but lets say we did magically produce £100 mill to buy him, would we still get our 25% on the profit manure make ? That equates to about £ 17.5 mill if you minus out the £ 30 mill we already got . Great that makes it more likely if it will only cost us £ 82.5 mill . Do it Bill, do it . Now, time for my meds.......
David Denby
134   Posted 20/10/2010 at 21:04:04

To be honest lads I think you're all missing the main point here. With all this Rooney business there's no way Ferguson will let us have Fredrico Macheda on-loan in January now.......

I don't know what's making me smile more, this thread of watching Spurs get battered in Milan, keep chasing that ball lads, you're not playing again until lunchtime Saturday ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha..................
Alex Kociuba
135   Posted 20/10/2010 at 22:08:17

I can't believe it took 131 posts until David Hallwood succinctly summed up the situation. I couldn't agree with you more!
Ian McDowell
136   Posted 20/10/2010 at 22:44:03

Legend undoubtedly

I can?t believe people question this. Tim Cahill plays for Everton like a fan on the street would.

This pre-season all the talk of playing Billy in his role behind Saha, what bollocks.

Everton is built on players like Neville Cahill and Jagielka.

I said it before moths ago but heading is just as much an important part of football as passing, finishing, first touch etc.

I watched the semi final of the champions league barca v Inter and needing one more goal to qualify a headed chance fell to Bojan and he fluffed it,. I kept thinking what Timmy would of done with that

Cahill Everton legend, in 30 years time I?ll be telling me grand kids about him, no doubt.

Ian McDowell
137   Posted 20/10/2010 at 22:50:05

sorry wrong thread lol
David Cornmell
138   Posted 21/10/2010 at 03:48:02

More chance of signing myself and Dixie Dean than Roonaldo.
With the 50% tax bracket coming, I reckon Stretford is just angling to take his cash cow to a low tax regime.
He's the puppet master; how do you think all these stories re: prostitutes and bust ups come out? And cause maximum destabilisation?
The best we can hope for is for him to go to Citeh...and give those plastic manure arseholes a taste of their own medicine.
Ernie McAllister
139   Posted 21/10/2010 at 04:09:02

I don't think most fans would accept him back. The badge kissing aside. It's pretty clear why SAF didn't play him against us this season.

He wants to keep winning things, when was the last time we won anything?

Do Everton really have the ambition and the talent to win the league, get into the champs league and win.

Then there is his weekly wage bill.

Sorry but this is a non event. He won't ever come back to us because I believe he will never be accepted back. There is now too much ingrained hatred of the badge kissing manc sucking greedy shithead to allow him to come back.

I read an article in some rag about a year ago, which in part stated Rooney wouldn't be renewing his contract at manure and that he wanted to return to Liverpool..which meant us. The spooky part is, whoever wrote the piece was bang on with the first part. The last imo is completely wrong.

Imagine this, Rooney arrives and we pay him obscene wages, the highest at the club. The other lads see this and demand wage increases to compensate for what he is getting. It would create way too much unrest at the club, and would send us backwards big time.

In a nutshell, no thanks and I don't care where the greedy twat goes either.
Mike Dolan
140   Posted 21/10/2010 at 06:01:46

Personally I am unsurprised that the little shit is unhappy at the Mancs. Let's face it, any true Evertonian would be anally raped just by looking at that shirt.

I don't think Rooney has got a lot better since he left us. We thought he would become a world beater. He is about as good as Paul Ince. A decent player no more and not much better than a decent player.

Michael Brien
141   Posted 21/10/2010 at 07:11:29

Matthew Mackey (108) - Luke 15 : The Prodigal son - sorry but there's one very important fact that you don't mention. The Prodigal son realised that he was in the wrong and came back to seek his father's forgiveness. Rooney wouldn't come back to Everton seeking anything other than a nice contract that would make him the highest paid player at the club.

World Class footballer he may well be - personally I would wait to see if he does well in a World Cup/European Championship - he is also world class in selfishness. Football is a team game - Rooney plays first and foremost for Team Rooney.

He has shown very little respect for Manchester United - but should anyone be surprised as he showed very little respect for Everton. I remember him kissing the United badge when he scored at Goodison. Contrast that attitude with that of Tim Cahill - he scored against Millwall in a Cup replay, but he refused to make a great celebration of scoring - " They were the team that gave me a start in football - I am not going to rub their noses in it" was the attitude of Tim Cahill. A stark contrast to Wayne Rooney - Everton legend ? No way. He used us and as far as I am concerned he is one of the worst examples of selfish, celebrity footballers around at the moment.

I am not going to say that ALL modern players are of the same ilk - I think that is far to simplistic and I don't think that they are all like Rooney. But the likes of Rooney, Gerrard, Terry, Cole and Lampard are now just as much celebrities as they are footballers. They think they are bigger than the teams that they play for. They aren't and ironically everyone could see the results of this in the World Cup - they strut around thinking they deserve to play because of who they are and that they are automatic choices for club and country.They got battered by a German team including 4 or 5 young lads with about 10 caps between them. I don't normally like Alex Ferguson, but I would love it, just love it if he made the arrogant self obsessed Rooney train with Man United's Reserve team. Or better still got Vidic to kick him all over the training ground !!!!
Eugene Ruane
142   Posted 21/10/2010 at 09:28:09

Grabs Ian McDowell by sideez, lifts him out of seat.

(wool accent) "CONCENTRATE LAD, CONCENTRATE!!!....DO YOU HEAR ME? IS THIS GETTIN' THROUGH!!"
Steve Pugh
143   Posted 21/10/2010 at 14:18:22

I know, Wayne Rooney buys Everton off BK and then buys himself from Manure. Sorted.
And he can pay himself low wages as a player and massive wages as Chairman so the other players don't get upset. Marvellous.

I know, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but hey....
James Marshall
144   Posted 21/10/2010 at 14:28:30

I've only read the initial post and none of the thread, but I would ASTONISHED if Rooney came back to us. Personally I don't see any options other than Chelsea or Man City. Mancini has said no, and what would be the point of going to London when what he really needs is to get out of this country altogether?

His personal life is in tatters, and the media are hounding him out as they love to do, so I don't see any worth in him going to another English club.

His problem now is where does he go? Barca won't buy him purely because they don't need him, and Madrid are now saying they can't afford his wage demends. My choice would be Madrid ? Mourinho is coach and speaks perfect English/knows the player. Ronaldo is there and they're obviously old team mates and Xavi Alonso is also there who will know Rooney on some level and also speaks English. Question is, is Rooney bright enough to be able to see that getting out of the UK is the best thing for him, his family and his career? This I doubt.

He may hold all the cards at Utd, but his options are becoming increasingly limited.
Anthony Hughes
145   Posted 21/10/2010 at 14:41:37

Agree James, no way in the world will Rooney come back to us.
Hundreds of thousands a week or clubs to suit his ambition of winning trophies. We don't fit into either of his required catergories unfortunately.
Nelaj Behajiha
146   Posted 21/10/2010 at 17:46:06

I feel that actually if Wayne is going to leave United the only place I believe he could possibly end up is Everton. I?ll give you the reasons why I believe this is so.

Chelsea

Chelsea are the favourites to sign Rooney so I?ll start with the reasons why I believe he won?t go to Chelsea. Chelsea already has a decent strikeforce and I believe that it?s highly unlikely United would allow him to leave or it would be Rooney?s first choice of club as he wouldn?t be top dog.

Arsenal

It?s very unlikely Rooney would move to Arsenal or Arsenal would want to sign him. He isn?t Wenger?s type of player and they have only just signed a top class striker. I?m not sure whether they?d have the money either.

Manchester City

While City certainly are one of the richest clubs in the world, one of the most successful they are not. I doubt Rooney would dream of playing for Manchester City as I believe that it would be a ridiculous move for him to make. City have already spent huge amounts on strikers and I can?t see him fitting into their team. Signing him would be extremely controversial in Manchester and I don?t believe United would dream of allowing him to go to City.

Spurs

Signing for Spurs would be a step backwards for Rooney and again I can?t see with the way Spurs are playing and already having a decent side them spending huge amounts on a disruptive player. Neither Rooney nor Spurs would be interested in this transfer so I think it?s unlikely he?d end up in North London come January.

Real Madrid

Seemingly Rooney?s ideal destination but due to other factors I believe a transfer abroad wouldn?t realistically happen. With the recent controversy in Rooney?s life I doubt he?d have the audacity to suggest that his wife and child should move to another country to follow his selfish ambitions. Colleen seems to me to be quite a family-motivated person and with her sister extremely ill and with all her work in Britain, I can?t see Rooney going to Madrid with a wife.

This leaves only 2 options. Rooney has already said some extremely strong statements and seems to have angered his team-mates, the manager and the fans a hell of a lot. I believe that he has burnt all his bridges yet I wouldn?t be surprised if he stayed. If he does leave in January, I believe the only possible destination he could end up in is at Everton.

Due to the reasons mentioned above, I can?t see him going to any of the clubs mentioned. SAF would be wary about allowing his best player to play for one of their rivals. I honestly think that Rooney could end up going to Everton on loan. This would mean he?d remain close to his family, he would be playing in his hometown and he?d be treated like a superstar. I think Rooney could be playing at Goodison Park sooner than you expect.

David Price
147   Posted 21/10/2010 at 19:55:52

Tevez went to City, Ronaldo to Real, both rivals in prem of CL. Fergie doesn't make the decisions, it's the Glazers. Dollars to them not fussed about the fans being upset. Fergie goes along with it because he's paid to. Plus on Utd's accounts, his Mrs gets paid £1m per year for a company set up in her name supposedly dealing with the club. Silence paid for.

Don't blame Rooney for going, it wasn't him that stirred it up publicly yet is getting all the stick. Utd's PR bullying tactics as usual.

What a terrific week, wrap it up at Spurs with a win. Perfection.

David McKitt
148   Posted 22/10/2010 at 12:58:39

Well hes not going anywhere!!! So much for a sell on fee!
Lee Smith
149   Posted 22/10/2010 at 12:57:51

Rooney's just signed a new 5 year contract at United. There goes our sell on fee :(
Dave Charles
150   Posted 22/10/2010 at 13:02:21

A real man of his word, or Strettford's. He looks a bigger dick now than he's ever done. Will he ever learn to think first, because he if he did, he may not have left under the cloud he did. He may not have written lies in his book about Moyes and never really kissed a badge that meant shite all to him. He may even have had more about him when at the time of Alan Balls death he danced around kissing a shirt and badge when scoring against his boyhood club.

He's only 24 and still plenty of time to make other cock-ups. Thankfully it won't be our club that people are laughing at.