Greatest Strikers ? Vote for Dixie

Guardian are running a poll looking for people to vote for the greatest players ever. Dixie is listed as one of the strikers so vote, vote, vote!!!

Rob Murphy, Cork, Rep of Ireland     Posted 20/10/2010 at 21:58:55

Comments

Gareth Humphreys
1   Posted 21/10/2010 at 09:41:06

I've done my bit.
Adam Fenlon
2   Posted 21/10/2010 at 09:50:08

Brazilian Ronaldo is currently top of this list.

A great player, but cmon.......
James Boden
3   Posted 21/10/2010 at 10:04:39

Since there were two strikers to choose from I choose our Dixie and Lineker. And then in the midfield section I voted Bally, Cryuff, Best and Maradona. The likes of Gerrard and Bryan Robson in there fucking unbelievable.

Although if we are taking all bias and favouritism out of the equation I would expect one of Maradona, Cryuff or Di Stefano to come top. Although given the voting so far it would suggest otherwise.

Lee Jamieson
4   Posted 21/10/2010 at 10:06:21

Done my bit and voted Alan Ball as one of the best midfielders too.
James Newcombe
5   Posted 21/10/2010 at 10:12:35

Voted for Dixie... Can't believe that Bergkamp and Ronaldo are ahead of Gerd Müller and Ferenc Puskás at the moment
Vishal Poorundersingh
6   Posted 21/10/2010 at 10:29:44

Voted Dixie and Lineker, COYB!!!!
Duncan McDine
7   Posted 21/10/2010 at 10:43:17

Me too. Can't believe the gappy tooth Ronaldo is way out infront... he had an arse like Razor Ruddock for the last 5 years of his career!
Michael Stevenson
8   Posted 21/10/2010 at 11:22:02

Dixie currently 5th behind Ronaldo (why???), Pele, Maradona and Van Basten ? so don't vote for any of them!

Not far behind Van Basten in 4th. Get clicking lads!!
Steve Pugh
9   Posted 21/10/2010 at 12:11:07

People always tend to vote for players that they know, hence modern players always do better.
Nick Entwistle
10   Posted 21/10/2010 at 12:43:24

Bergkamp, he was úber klass though wasn't he. Not a cooler player on the ball than he. Still, Dixie it is for me but can't be arsed to vote as it all means F-all.
Tom Bowers
11   Posted 21/10/2010 at 13:19:18

Hard to compare yesteryear players with contemporaries. The likes of Dixie Dean, Lawton, Puskas and Di Stefano etc... undoubtedly talented at finishing played at a time when defensive systems where almost non-existent. I would be more inclined to applaud the likes of Charlton, Law, Best and others from the sixties who scored prolifically when these defensive systems started to take hold with the birth of it by Italian football.

Then in the seventies we had Mueller and Cruyff who were just amazing. Later we had Ian Rush,Thierry Henry, Platini etc all worthy mentions. However I hate to say it but Maradonna seems to be the pick all things considered even the possibility he was on drugs when he was playing at his peak. Yes, I have missed quite a few but it is impossible to name all worthy strikers throughout the history of football.

Fran Mitchell
12   Posted 21/10/2010 at 13:41:01

Ronaldo was absolute class

The problem is you can't really compare as the game was so different from 1930s to the 1960s to the 1980s to now.

While I understand people asking why is Dixie behind Ronado? ? Well, no-one here actually saw Dixie play 90 minutes. Now stats are something else, but shouldn't people vote for what they actually know i.e. players they have actually seen play.

I have heard so much about Ball, Dean, Young etc as I have heard so much about Muller, Rossi, Garrincha, Puskas etc, but I have not seen them enough for me to justify my opinion of one being better than the other, all I have is other people's opinion.

The problem with this is how certain players build a mystique beyond their actual ability, e.g. David Beckham, or how statistics can alter things, e.g. Miroslav Klose. In 20 years our kids will probably look an think Beckham was Jesus Christ reborn and Klose was the greatest striker of our generation.

For me at 25, Best stikers are Ronaldo, Del Piero, Bergkamp, Raul, Ronaldinho Gaucho. Out of them I would have to go for Ronaldo and Ronaldinho... effective and dazzling.
John Daley
13   Posted 21/10/2010 at 14:04:26

Brett Angel not on there?
Dave Lynch
14   Posted 21/10/2010 at 14:52:44

No Rod Belfit ?
It's a stitch up.
Christopher McCullough
15   Posted 21/10/2010 at 15:11:15

John #13 Brett isn't on the list but he did leave a comment on the article. Ha. He mentions Dean and Lawton.

You can vote twice if you use different PC's. I'm in a library so I'm switching seats every hour or so.
Vishal Poorundersingh
16   Posted 21/10/2010 at 16:41:38

Connect with Internet Explorer and then Firefox, you will vote twice.
Jon Cox
17   Posted 21/10/2010 at 19:08:13

John (11) just had a strange thought. Imagine, since you mentioned Madonna and drugs, what it would have been like if half an 'our before kick off on sunday the shite and Everton had dropped some magic mushrooms hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho .........

Right i'm off to the daily socialist!!

Ste Blundell
18   Posted 21/10/2010 at 20:51:09

Alan Ball is in the midfielders section as well.
Dennis Stevens
19   Posted 21/10/2010 at 21:19:06

Strange selections - no McGrain or Wilson for the fullbacks!
Dennis Stevens
20   Posted 21/10/2010 at 21:38:15

& Where's Robin Friday?!
Andy Crooks
21   Posted 21/10/2010 at 22:53:41

How would Dixie do today? Well he played with a football which today would have most of us ducking out of the way. He played in a day when defenders kicked fuck out of strikers. He played in a day when MEN played for their club for a pittance.

There has been a recent thread thread about Tim Cahill as an Everton Legend. Tim will be. Dixie is the greatest striker who ever lived. I would like to invite someone more articulate than me to write a proper tribute.

Mike Green
22   Posted 22/10/2010 at 00:38:43

Dixie 4th now folks, not far behind Pele and Maradona but well behind Ronaldo (what a fucking joke!). I went for Greaves as my No.2.

Off to look at the midfield section and put one in for Bally.

COYB!
Frank Banterwaite
23   Posted 22/10/2010 at 01:10:13

I'm having a little trouble understanding why people are question Ronaldo's position so high in the poll? Just to point out some facts about Ronaldo:

1) In 336 club games he scored 246 goals
2) In 97 internationals he scored 62 goals
3) He has won FIFA World Player of the Year 3 times - something only one other player has done
4) His 15 goals in World Cup Finals make him the highest goalscorer in the competitions history - above Gerd Muller

He has achieved all of this despite suffering a serious knee injury in 1995 which meant he missed almost a season of football at PSV, then suffering a ruptured tendon in his knee in 1999, which meant he missed over two years of football.

For me, I fail to understand how any can question Ronaldo's standing as one of the greatest ever modern day forwards to have played the game.
Jason Lam
24   Posted 22/10/2010 at 04:28:21

El Diego should be in midfield if you ask me.
Trevor Lynes
25   Posted 22/10/2010 at 09:53:01

Watching since 1948...Pele is the most complete and maradona the most influential....Puskas and Di Stefano in their time were supreme as was Eusebio and Florian Albert.
Juste Fontaine has not been mentioned ??????? In the premier they have all been foreign except for Shearer and to a very short degree Linekar.
Henry has been my favourite and he took over from another Gunners great in Wright.....Bergkamp..Ronaldo of UTD and Messi also stand out.
Really it must be country by country as each league is different....EFC's best natural scorer in my time has been Roy Vernon who was as good as Rush and Fowler......
It all depends upon the age of the voter as lets face it...I have been lucky enough to see most of the greats actually playing....