Members:   Log In Sign Up

Ossie Out! Time for Bily to Step-up

Osman is out for 6 weeks. He may have become a bit of a scapegoat over the years, but I believe he is a very good player, albeit one who in his best position would not get into a fully fit Everton team (central midfield, where Arteta plays).

However, one other thing is for sure: When Everton play well, Osman is generally one of the better players (despite his often infuriating child-like weak shots that demean much good work). It is equally true that when Everton don't play well he goes missing. But at the moment we are playing quite well, and Osman has been one of the better players. The fact that he has been doing well in Pienaar's absence has made it all the more important.

Now the injury curse has struck again (proving that it wasn't all Baz Rathbone's fault), the time is for Bily to step up.

He is a totally different player, so one should not get angry is he doesn't do Pienaar's or Osman's chasing, but he does need to become an effective player. No more so than in the next game at Spurs.

I really hope he can step up to the plate, if he does then thisclub will benefit no end if he gets a good run of form. If not then we coulbe in trouble. Or will Moyes pump for Guaye ? a wilcard but one that rather weak Spurs defense won't expect either.
Fran Mitchell, Liverpool     Posted 22/10/2010 at 15:20:58

Comments

GJ Butler
1   Posted 22/10/2010 at 15:38:21

He could also put Hibbo in RB, move Neville into the middle with Heitinga and Cahill and move Arteta to the left. Providing all are fit. Needs must, and all that.
Larry Boner
2   Posted 22/10/2010 at 15:52:42

Surely Peinaar will be fit for the Spurs game? Scheduled to be out for 2-4 weeks, this is the 4th week, unless we are working in Everton physio weeks, which means we will see him sometime around Christmas.
Andrew Ellams
3   Posted 22/10/2010 at 15:56:39

Surely when we play badly several players fail to step up to the plate. Hence why the team performs poorly.
Lee Kidd
4   Posted 22/10/2010 at 16:12:57

I'd have Gueye in myself. In the handful of appearances he has made he's shown a lot, lot more than Bily has, who is basically a passenger when he's on the pitch.
Trevor Lynes
5   Posted 22/10/2010 at 16:08:35

I can see a point being a great return from the spurs game....the injuries once more illustrate the lack of cover for our first team squad...God knows what we will do if Baines gets injured !! Our reserve team is pretty poor and I cannot get particularly excited about any of them....None of them have played themselves into contention apart from injuries forcing the issue....I fully agree with Andrew and I just wish we had a Wilshire, Bale or Albrighton coming through.
Rooney definitely pushed himself forward and to a lesser extent Rodwell has talent...But Coleman is the only true success we have at the moment.
I just hope we can muddle through for the next month or so until our injured first teamers fully recover.
Tony J Williams
6   Posted 22/10/2010 at 16:20:10

Trevor, I would more see a point as an acceptable return, not a great one.

They will no doubt be knackered from their exertions midweek and we should be able to get at them.....hang on just realised half of our midfield will be missing.....ah well, there is always next season!!
Kev Lacey
7   Posted 22/10/2010 at 16:41:25

Pienaar just announced on Twitter that hes fit for Spurs and is hoping for some game time, so I guess if Moyesy agrees he will.

Personally I'd like to see Gueye given a run out at some point over the next few weeks, even coming off the bench.

Aidy Dews
8   Posted 22/10/2010 at 17:07:16

Well if Pienaar's fit then iI guess he'll start and Bily will have to settle for a place on bench again, unless Arteta doesnt make it?.

But I have a feeling that if Arteta doesn't make it, Hibbo will come in at RB to deal with Bale and double up with Coleman on him and Neville will go into midfield alongside Heitinga.
Andy Codling
9   Posted 22/10/2010 at 17:16:18

Billy is utter shite, get rid if we can
Max Main
10   Posted 22/10/2010 at 17:34:24

I say we deploy a 6-3-1 formation tomorrow with Neville, Hibbert, and Coleman all at right back.

How the fuck else are we going to stop Bale?
Jay Harris
11   Posted 22/10/2010 at 18:17:54

If you all remember correctly a certain Seamus Colemen was MOM last season when he came on against Spurs.

By attacking their left flank he kept them pinned back.

Lets hope we learned some lessons from that and do not sit back and try to defend.

Feed the Yak and all that!!
Mike Gaynes
12   Posted 22/10/2010 at 18:51:27

I'd like to see Bily in the middle if Arteta is not fit. That's the position Bily plays for his national team. He'd see a lot of the ball and not have to work that hard, because with Neville behind him and Cahill ahead, his defensive responsibilities would be minimal. Bily's pretty useless on the outside.
Charlie Percival
13   Posted 22/10/2010 at 19:39:19

Rodwell out for 6 weeks, it feels like its been 10 weeks!
Lewis Morrison
14   Posted 22/10/2010 at 19:51:18

I hope Moyes plays Hibbert tomorrow. For me he's our best right back when it comes to defending and not too many left wingers like Bale get the better of him. I don't think Neville would cope with his pace and energy.

It could be a big game for Seamus too. Bale's eagerness to get forward will leave Coleman with lots of space to run into if we can get the ball to him quick enough. I see a penalty or goal everytime he goes on one of his mazy runs.
Ernie McAllister
15   Posted 22/10/2010 at 20:18:13

Bily to step forward? Sorry no he needs to join the list of crap to go in January.

We are truly blessed with an absolute inept manager... Jesus wept, what fucking clown decided Ossie no feet and Hibbo should be getting contract extensions?
Ernie McAllister
16   Posted 22/10/2010 at 20:19:29

Importantly injuries = wins because Moyes's hand is forced and the team virtually picks itself.

Perhaps Mr Moyes needs to go back to the UEFA coaching school and learn about tactics such as playing to your strengths and not weaknesses, such as constantly playing time and time again people out of position.

I said, once the injuries pile up, it will benefit us, and oh look we are beginning to move up the table as those injuries begin to dig in... no coincidence, sadly.
Paul Maguire
17   Posted 22/10/2010 at 20:20:22

Bily has started one league game this season, with 5 sub appearances usually for the last 3 minutes, And when he comes on he's played out of position on the wing. Okay, he's not a winger but he's not a shit player. Re #15, what has Hibbert done wrong this season?
Ian Bennett
18   Posted 22/10/2010 at 20:27:18

I'd go with Beckford against Spurs tomorrow - 4-4-2, dropping Cahill into midfield.

Howard; Neville, Jagielka, Distin, Baines; Heitinga, Arteta, Cahill, Coleman; Yakubu, Beckford/

Spurs have a soft centre and need to be chased at the back following a hard game with 10 men against Inter on Wednesday and playing early Saturday. The home crowd will be expecting a win... so let's give them an energy performance to chew over with a bit of bite from Cahill and Heitinga and see how Van der Vaart and Co like that.

COYB.
Tom Bowers
19   Posted 22/10/2010 at 21:09:51

Sorry Fran I have to disagree about Ossie. He is a very limited player who has on rare occasions scored a decent goal or laid one on. Moyes has doted on him, however, and he has been given extended runs in the team for years without really making a great contribution.

Maybe now is the perfect opportunity for other players to stake their claim. From what I have seen this season, Coleman is perfect for the right side of midfield. He is young, quick and confident ? something Ossie is not. Without jumping the gun, several other players seem to be getting back to their best and hopefully it will produce a decent display at Spurs who, despite Bale's heroics, may be a little tired after the trip to Milan. Certainly this is a great opportunity for the Blues to make it 3 in a row.

Jon Cox
20   Posted 22/10/2010 at 21:17:57

Yeah Ernie, I seem to recall ozzy playing last Sunday. We always start shite. So effing what. Listen mate I dont give a shit who plays where, triangular in parallelagram holes, or whether Bill Clinton finds out that Monica is his long lost daughter.

Because of injuries we need as many of our first team playing on sat. as possible playing and as far as i'm concerned the battle will be between Bales and Seamus.

All Moyes has to do is to tell Seamus to tell Bales that theres a dragon over the left hand stand. Bale (because he's a christian) will be out the game for good.

NOW THATS TACTICS

2-1 Everton win !!!
Jon Cox
21   Posted 22/10/2010 at 21:35:28

Ian Bennett, Totaly!! Good team selection. Davey are you listening to this. With your injuries, and Totts midweek escapades, can you name a team to start better than this?

It has to be Hibbo and Seamus on the right. Bale hasn't got a chance.

Great hatrick from Bale but you have to blame the goalie. Each goal was exactly the same. This will, or should not happen with Everton.

So, apart from all that, this is the day that our Yak forgets he was ever injured.

COYB SYBM
Sean Patton
22   Posted 22/10/2010 at 22:16:20

To the posters slagging off Bilyaletdinov, if he had the chances that Osman has had this season he sure as hell would not have passed them back to the keeper thats for sure.

I really hope he plays tommorow because if Yakubu holds the ball up the way he did on Sunday then Billy will be firing shots in from all angles
Dick Fearon
23   Posted 22/10/2010 at 23:33:25

I am not too upset about Osman. The day he returns will be a day too soon.
I never was one of his admirers but his absolutely hopeless performance in the the cup final was the last straw.
I am very disapointed that he has been getting regular games where we could have been giving experience to young hopefuls.
I have long believed that in 99 cases out of 100 anyone worth keeping is doing the stuff before reaching age 20.
Jimmy Changa
24   Posted 23/10/2010 at 04:15:39

I hope Bily gets his chance this weekend. He is clearly devoid of confidence despite being one of our top scorers last season with half the game time of most. Hopefully he'll smash in a beast like he did against united last season and he'll be well on his way.
Alan Clarke
25   Posted 23/10/2010 at 06:11:31

Bily is way out of his depth. He's an example of what is wrong with modern day football. We've paid £9 million for a Russian who is not good and wasn't scouted properly. Moyes bought him on a recommendation from Hiddink. When you pay £9 million for a player, they should be able to make the team ahead of Osman. I'd sooner Moyes played Gueye.

Can anyone honestly say there isn't a better player than Bily in the lower leagues who's English and would have cost a fraction of the price? We should get rid in January.
Derek Thomas
26   Posted 23/10/2010 at 06:42:07

For Bili read Blini, a bit stale and failing to rise.

An enigma wrapped up in an (up till now) crap waste of money.

A player in search of a position, just like his Scottish cousin McFadden, any position... just not with us. It's like playing with 10 men.

And should he (and Moyes by selecting him) prove me wrong by scoring a wonder goal to win the game, well of course I did (didn't we all?) know he was a class act.

But I doubt it.
Iain Love
27   Posted 23/10/2010 at 09:20:55

Midfield will be Arteta, Cahill, Coleman, Bily, Heitinga, If Pienaar fit Bily drops out.
To those who say get rid !!!!! if we can get our money back ok, but i doubt it , i still think there's a player there and i dont think he's had a fair crack yet.
Tony Cheek
28   Posted 23/10/2010 at 10:15:23

I should think with Bale on the left wing , the speed of Hibbert is imperative. Only problem is not letting him get in the box , as I can see a penalty coming..
Dont think Arteta will make it today , bloody hamstrings !!!
Danny Jones
29   Posted 23/10/2010 at 10:56:29

Hibbo's the one to handle Bale today. Of all the right backs in the country, as a pure bread defender Hibbet is the best (for my money).I am not blind to his poor distribution, but one on one I really can't think of a better player to handle Bale at the moment. The problem lies with how Moyes uses Neville, I think the comments in the press about Heitinga and focus will mean he is the one to make way for our Captain to move into the middle. I also think that man for man we are as good, if not better than Spurs, and after the tiring week away to Inter, coupled with our renewed confidence from the last few games, I think all 3 points should be ours today. Having said all that............
Dee Gidwani
30   Posted 23/10/2010 at 12:30:17

Arteta is out. Pienaar and Billy alongwith Heitinga and Coleman in midfield.
Dee Gidwani
31   Posted 23/10/2010 at 12:31:17

Listed as Billy out wide and Pienaar in the middle. Lets hope Moyes tries Billy through the middle and let Pienaar play out wide.
Ben Atkins
32   Posted 23/10/2010 at 12:45:29

Any links for the game?
Ged Simpson
33   Posted 23/10/2010 at 12:59:22

Any links for the game?
Ged Simpson
34   Posted 23/10/2010 at 12:59:53

Ste Blundell
35   Posted 23/10/2010 at 13:02:59

Any links???
Craig Tomasinski
36   Posted 23/10/2010 at 13:07:51

1-0 Leighton Baines Yeeeeeeeeeees!!!!
Paul Olsen
37   Posted 23/10/2010 at 13:10:45

Tim Howard. Honestly, that is absolute rubbish.
Ged Simpson
38   Posted 23/10/2010 at 13:11:49

No forum today ?
Geoff Trenner
39   Posted 23/10/2010 at 13:12:41

Oh derar Mr Howard - Blackburn re-visited!
Ste Blundell
40   Posted 23/10/2010 at 16:38:05

Any Links Boys?
Alan Khan
41   Posted 23/10/2010 at 16:11:11

Bily looks out of sorts - to put it mildly. Beckford is disappointing. Moyes should probably give Gueye a run until Jack, Marouane and Ossie are back from injury. We played well today against a Spurs side that has good players. Can't help but think that we should have grabbed all three points. Baines was superb... Distin looks re-energised and it's good to have Saha back but we need our strikers to find the back of the net...
Matt Lavery
42   Posted 23/10/2010 at 17:04:23

I am amazed to see Pienaar available and playing! Hopefully Bale will be "missing" after his midweek exploits. Heitinga needs to get a hold of Van Der Vaart and we could get something out of this today!

COYBB!

Tom Bowers
43   Posted 23/10/2010 at 17:10:15

A big pity Arteta couldn't play today. I really beleive we could have won with him despite Howard's blunder. Bily just doesn't seem up to snuff and we should really consider trading him in January. Could Moyes consider Jamie Ohara?
Ernie McAllister
44   Posted 23/10/2010 at 18:48:02

Another shocking bad performance from Beckford, and again Bily out of his depth. Give him a chance? Surely Gueye would be the better alternative anyone but him.

I mean seriously I know we need to conserve what we have, but honestly you can't just make excuses that the lad Bily needs a run. We simply don't have the luxury nor the time to do it.

Alan Clarke I absolutely concur with you about Bily.

I know lots of people who really dislike Howard. He can't handle crosses and can't command his own box, so is susceptible to anything from corners. But the sad fact is, from what I've heard is we have an even worse replacement in Mucho Groucho..who knows. Howard really needs to stop having these small blind periods. I like Howard, and can make fantastic head on saves, but I also believe he really struggles with anything that is not head on in his perspective. Maybe some hard work needs to be put on his training from corners and crosses from the wing.
Derek Thomas
45   Posted 24/10/2010 at 03:59:31

How many 2nd chances do you get??
Jason Lam
46   Posted 25/10/2010 at 04:09:24

Bily is class but I no longer think our team and formation can accomodate a traditional #10 playing in the hole.