Johnny Heitinga

This player is a strange case.

When he arrived at Everton, I thought £6m was a fair transfer fee to pay but his reported, then record, wages I thought were over-rated. I considered Johnny to be slow, inconsistent, thuggish and liable to do something stupid.

I appeared correct in my judgement after his first few games at the Club playing midfield and right-back. Then, because of injuries, he got moved to centre-back. Johnny then transformed into a colossus at the heart of our defence and Everton went on an excellent run. His form continued into the World Cup where Everton had only their second ever World Cup finalist and I thought he had an excellent tournament despite the sending-off in the Final.

A lack of pre-season and again playing in midfield and Johnny seems to be more of a hinderance than a help. I thought he gave the ball away needlessly against Spurs and looked slow and unfit.

I think Moyes needs to decide where to play Johnny: if it's in midfield, then I don't think he is good enough, especially when Fellaini returns, and he is an expensive (wages) sub and also appears to be a disruptive voice in the dressing room. Play him at centre-back and he is world class and happy.

Over to you, Davey...
Matthew Lovekin, Brighton     Posted 24/10/2010 at 09:07:02

Comments

David Price
1   Posted 24/10/2010 at 15:56:27

Heitinga is a centre back, as we all know. Think he has talked himself out of Goodison though with Duffy the next in line to get his chance. We need the cash as the Rooney cut won't be for another year now.
Won't be surprised if Bily is off-loaded to sign Landon.
Sega Kana
2   Posted 24/10/2010 at 16:18:24

yup...i think Billy is not suited for english game.. Heitinga is an excellent CB..either play him there or bench him. If Duffy is good enough than sell both and get Landon.
Jay Wilson
3   Posted 24/10/2010 at 16:52:42

Heitinga played the whole of the run in last year in midfield once Fellaini got injured and as I recall he did a great job. I think he is suited to the midfield role almost as much as centre back. He just needs to get his head right and at the moment he doesn't seem to know whether he's coming or going.
Jamie Barlow
4   Posted 24/10/2010 at 16:56:19

He seems to be sulking to me. I don't think he has the right attitude. Get rid. Sick of his silly comments too.
Paul Olsen
5   Posted 24/10/2010 at 17:45:32

World-class? Hardly. Good defender no doubt, but not world-class.

And to be honest, he hasn't been that shocking, he just does not dictate games in midfield. 1st half against Spurs, I actually think he did well, same goes for the game against Liverpool. Albeit he was poor in both second halves.
Andrew Conroy
6   Posted 24/10/2010 at 18:02:08

Heitinga has been abysmal in my eyes for the last 2 games- at least.

He trots around in much too pedestrian a manner, making unforced errors that he makes no real effort to make up for. He nearly cost us a goal yesterday after we'd been in a promising attacking position, and he did sod all to rectify his error.

I also though he was great once he got moving last year, but I'm finding it hard not to get on his back now- the guy just seems to be asking for it at the moment.
Charlie Percival
7   Posted 24/10/2010 at 18:03:09

I seem to remember Moyes deploying Jags in right back and defensive mid and he was crap. Put him in the heart of defence and he's the best centre-half we've had in the past decade or two...
Ian Smitham
8   Posted 24/10/2010 at 19:10:55

Please forgive me but, simply ? Is he tall enough to be a CB?

Add to it his high wages, misunderstood (to be generous) comments, and his either daft tackles or giving up on not yet lost causes ? the breakawayby Spurs at the end after he gave the ball away ? All add to a confusing situation as, when he came, I almost joined the clamour for him to be Captain.

I believe he needs a heart-to-heart with DM and either fits in or is flirted out in January.
Howard Don
9   Posted 24/10/2010 at 19:21:33

Agreed, Jay (3). I remember some outstanding performances from Heitinga in midfield last year. It's his head that's wrong at the moment, not his ability.
John Crook
10   Posted 24/10/2010 at 19:58:42

He is better at centre-half but can also do a job in midfiled. He is not fit though. He has been subbed every game he has started this season.

Last season, he said in his own words he didnt feel fit for the pace of the English Premier Leauge until after the Bolton home game (2-0 February, I think). But last year the injury list was so bad he had to complete 90 mins as there were no other players available.

At this current time, we have injuries but not as bad as last year, so that's why he is getting subbed. Moyes even said he is getting cramp all the time. With Johnny's current form, Fellaini will walk straight back into the team. I would actually prefer Neville over Heitinga at the moment (as Hibbert hasn't really put a foot wrong when played this season anyway).

And yes, I agree with the above comments ? he looks like he is sulking a little. He basicaly has a month to get fit in the midfield position (until Mo is back) and then, if Distin or Jags takes a knock, he will get another chance at centre-half.

Another thing I have not noticed pre-match ? last year he used to jog around the pitch high-fiving all his team mates and pscyhing them up and egging on the fans; this season he has done the above partially and even looks a little reluctant.

Ian Smitham
11   Posted 24/10/2010 at 20:52:24

he is - sorry guys- last para

The breakaway was in the last ten yesterday
Phil Roberts
12   Posted 24/10/2010 at 22:52:28

Heitinga plays right side back four for Holland. Jags plays right side back four for Everton.

So if we had Jags and Jonny, then we lose the left side we get with Distan.

Heitinga is a better midfielder than Jags.

That is why David Moyes plays them where he does.
Derek Thomas
13   Posted 25/10/2010 at 00:41:10

As I remember he was languishing in the reserves of his last club.

He seem to have just the 2 extremes very good or piss poor and a moody attitude to go with it, though which comes 1st the attitude or the form I don't know.

Hopefully Moyes can give him a kick up the arse to get him going again. Or cash in come June.

We can't afford to carry 2 players ( him and Blini ) no matter how small the squad has become.

An average 'trier' from the bench or reserves has to be better than a so called star just going through the motions.

BTW, Any body know how Vaughan has gone since his hat-trick start??
Afzan Yusuf
14   Posted 25/10/2010 at 00:54:07

My first impression of Bily is class... but after the Spurs game it clears he is not up to it. Off load him in January.

Heitinga excites me when we signed him but after his numerous comments and his latest display, I won't miss him...

Moyes shall realise now it is time to build the team again around Fellaini, Arteta and Rodwell.

No way escape for this...
Tim Brashar
15   Posted 25/10/2010 at 07:15:21

I actually think Heitinga played well against Spurs, until he tired around 55 mins or so when he then became ineffective. I agree that he is not fully fit and feel that we are yet to see him back at his best. But I don't think he is as bad as everyone is making out.

I thought his passing in the midfield against Spurs was class, and he and Pienaar did really well together with some clever passing and touches to match and at times outplay a bigger-name midfield. I thought Johnny also was good at getting tackles in, & winning/heading bouncing balls in midfield and generally settling, commanding our play. I thought he was a presence in there, ask Van der Vaart.

I still believe Fellaini is the man for the position & Johnny should be at centre-back, but for everyone to rubbish his playing ability so much has surprised me.

I don't think we've seen his class in that position (again Fellaini excepted because I do rate him as world class), composure, ability to pass, intelligence, warrior-like qualities for some time. I am admittedly only a relatively new blue, but can someone please let me know if any predecessors: Phil Neville, Lee Carsley, Tommy G had more class (as a player), pedigree & were of a higher calibre than Johnny H?
Anthony Hughes
16   Posted 25/10/2010 at 07:39:56

Heitinga's isn't a central midfielder, he's a good centre back who needs a taller man alongside him. As for the term "world class" it's a phrase used far too often to describe players. There are very few players who can be described as world class and Heitinga is most definitely not one of them.

I'm not sure when Moyes bought him where exactly he thought his best position is... a bit like Bily.

Jon Gorman
17   Posted 25/10/2010 at 09:20:49

We can't play Jags and Heitinga together, there's not enough height. It has nothing to do with Distin's 'form'.

Heitinga would have to displace Jags, and I think he knows that's unlikely. On the plus side, we're almost guaranteed a return on him, so it's all good!
Anthony Millington
18   Posted 25/10/2010 at 11:41:28

Begs the question Jon, if Jags and Heitinga can't play together like you say then why did Moyes spend all that money and wages on buying Heitinga when he's clearly not good enough to play anywhere else but centre-back?

We could have kept Yobo and perhaps someone cheap like Senderos as cover for Jags and Distin and then used the Heitinga money to buy a wide player or striker. Or has in fact Moyes made a bad 'panic buy' mistake and bought Heitinga as a right-back before discovering his best position is centre-back?
James Stewart
19   Posted 25/10/2010 at 12:23:54

Heitinga would perform far better than Distin if given a run of games at CB. No doubt in my mind.
Richard Pike
20   Posted 25/10/2010 at 13:15:13

Anthony (18): probably because at the time, Jag was on crutches and Lescott was heading for the door.
Oliver Molloy
21   Posted 25/10/2010 at 13:05:39

David Price ...@ 1

What Rooney cut are you referring to? Please explain.